• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 8,281 Views, 300 Comments

Taboo Feelings - abdlpony



Sweetie Belle is a normal filly, at least she thinks so. But even among her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders, she had always been different. Maybe it was some slight bouts of immature behavior or taking after her older sister.

  • ...
66
 300
 8,281

The Pinkie Sense

“Alright so here we are! Now go and play!” Pinkie ordered while she and Sweetie stood in the middle of the park. Children were playing all over and age did not seem to matter to them.

“Uh, Pinkie?”

“Yeah?”

“Play with who?” Sweetie Belle asked while looking more at the colts than the fillies. It was more of a defense mechanism than anything. All of the fillies in her class knew her more than the colts did and she felt far too embarrassed to admit her issues or risk the fillies finding out.

“Anypony, you silly!”

“Yeah but, uh, can’t we just figure this out with Twilight or something?”

“Nope! That’s plan B, Plan A is to study you from a distance… oh, I’ll just be…“

“Pinkie?” She turned to her left and then her right but the pink mare had disappeared. “How did she—“

“Hey, Sweetie Belle!”

“Hey, Snips and… Snails, what’s up?”

“Not much, we’ve just been kind of bored.”

“Ahh, well –” Sweetie took a quick glance at her surroundings to spot Pinkie but she was nowhere to be found “– do you want to hang out for a bit?”

“Uh, ss-sure,” Snips stuttered out.

“Fine by me.” The other grinned. Sweetie did not like the looks she was given, but she considered the two to be friendly enough.

The three gathered together near a rather large tree under the shade. Sweetie was feeling slightly more relaxed than before despite the lingering thoughts of somepony studying them. She was never really confident in Pinkie’s plans in the past, but she was Pinkie; she figured her plan could work.

“So, what have you been up to?” Snails said in a smooth voice while he did his best to control his stuttering.

“Well…” She figured it would not be in her best interest to reveal everything. “We’re still crusading a lot and it’s kind of annoying that we still don’t have our cutie marks.”

“I can only imagine,” Snips deadpanned.

“Uh yeah…”

“Hmm,” Snails muttered out.

An awkward silence rang over the three, but it did not last for long.

“So will you go out with—“ Snails tried to say but was cut off.

“Okay, we're done.” Sweetie Belle then stood up and left them near the tree. She felt bad about leaving them in the dust like that, but she was in no mood to be dating anypony. She was walking away for several minutes before the pink mare showed up.

“Why’d you turn him down? That was mean, Sweetie!” Pinkie was glaring at her in one of the rare occasions that she felt like showing anger.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t feel like dating! I need to fix this first!”

“And I told you before, you’re not broken, silly!”

“How do you know?!”

“I just do! Trust me!”

“You know something, don’t you?” Sweetie Belle stepped forward to take a dominant stance.

“Sure but—“

“Then tell me! Tell me what’s wrong!”

“That’s not how this works!” Pinkie struck out a serious pose for a second, then began to twirl a fake mustache.

Sweetie stood there in shock. “Is this a game to you? Cause it’s not funny!”

“Well, it’s kind of a game, but you have to play if you want to know what’s wrong! Not that there’s anything wrong with you, but…”

“But?”

Pinkie sighed. “It’s no fun if I just tell you. And you might freak out just like— You almost made me break a Pinkie Promise! Look just play along and I promise you will know what the issue is, kay?” She finished and had somehow found a wooden pipe that she was using to blow bubbles out of.

“Okay…” Sweetie said, feeling far more nervous about her idea than before.

“Great! Now come with me!” It was really more of a command than a suggestion, not that it mattered as the Pink mare was dragging the filly through the White Tail Woods against her will.

Ten minutes later, the two ponies stood in a clearing. Pinkie Pie was smiling away, but Sweetie was frowning.

“Now what, Pinkie?”

“Now… you play!”

The filly groaned. “You keep telling me to do that! Maybe I don’t feel like playing.”

“Oh, everypony always feels like playing, Sweetie. You just need to get in the right mood! Oh yeah, and…” The pink mare jumped in a pile of leaves before she could finish her sentence. Pinkie was giggling and jumping for joy while she splashed dead leaves all over the place.

Sweetie Belle, however, was just standing there, mouth agape, staring at the mare. “Pinkie, how do you do it?”

Pinkie stopped in mid jump and slumped down on the ground. She looked up and found the sad frown of a filly. “How do I do what?” Pinkie tilted her head to the side and, to Sweetie, actually looked confused. Was she acting?

“How do you just play without feeling embarrassed?”

“Oh, that’s an easy one!” Pinkie stood up and walked over to the filly. Smiling, she leaned down and picked Sweetie up, ignoring her protests. Pinkie jumped back into the pile of leaves with Sweetie still clutched in her hooves. Pinkie then let her go and waited for the inevitable, for the filly to play her games of non-sense and enjoy herself.

“It’s just some leaves, Pinkie.”

“Yep!” Pinkie grabbed a small pile of leaves and tossed them towards Sweetie’s face, giggling.

“That’s not funny!” Sweetie grabbed a small pile of her own and hurled them back, but Pinkie was too fast and dodged them all. Sweetie furrowed her brow and began to cast her magic to try and hold the pink mare in place. Pinkie giggled and grabbed some more leaves while her two back hooves were held firmly in place; she then flung the leaves at Sweetie’s face and she lost her concentration.

“Is so funny!” Pinkie stuck her tongue out and began to dodge an onslaught of magically flung leaves from left to right. Finally, Sweetie Belle aimed where the pink mare had not been and hit her just as she went to dodge it. “You got me!” She went on to giggle for a while and Sweetie Belle could not help but let out a laugh of her own.

“Yeah, I got you. Now what? Did that tell you anything?”

“Not yet, but we're getting there. How about we try something else, hmm?” Pinkie finished and smiled.

“What?”

“Follow the Pinkie!”

“Don’t you mean—“

“Nope! The game is Follow the Pinkie!” Pinkie started walking away with a smile on her face until she noticed that Sweetie had not moved. “If you don’t play you will never figure out your feeeeeelings.” She said in a playful tone.

“Fine…” Sweetie muttered and started following Pinkie.

Pinkie looked up as she walked and a quick glance back with her eyes told her that somepony was not following the rules. “You have to do everything that I do Sweetie, or you lose!”

The filly rolled her eyes but looked up, Pinkie then smiled and continued to play.

So they played for who knows how long. Pinkie would sway to the left and to the right in-between gallops. Sweetie followed every action. Pinkie started jumping up and down for one moment, so Sweetie did the same. Pinkie started walking with her head almost to the ground like she was sneaking up on somepony, so Sweetie also did that. Eventually, Pinkie decided to get creative.

Sweetie Belle had remembered this game being far more fun when she was younger, but now each and every action she was almost forced to copy made her feel tired. Pinkie struck the pose of a bunny rabbit and began to hop like one in a circle instead of moving forward. Sweetie Belle hopped up and down until finally she could take no more and collapsed, panting for breath.

“Game over!” Pinkie declared with a slight smug sense of satisfaction.

“Yeah,” Sweetie said, gasping for air, “game over…”

“Did ya have fun?!” Pinkie was bouncing up and down waiting for an answer.

“Sure…” Did she have fun? It was a question she tried to ask herself and tried her best to be honest with herself. “I just…”

“Yes?”

“I remember that game being more fun.”

“Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I had fun.”

“I’m so glad, Pinkie. So, did you figure anything out about me?”

Pinkie turned around to face the filly. The mare examined her all over while giving her a sincere smile. Pinkie had her reasons but kept them to herself. “Well… your cheeks flush whenever you do anything out of the ordinary. You like to follow directions even when it leads you somewhere into trouble.”

“Alright, that’s it! You are not acting like Pinkie!”

“What?” Pinkie stammered out while feeling quite nervous.

“I mean you are still acting like Pinkie, but not only are you hiding something, you keep getting all serious every once in a while. Tell me, Pinkie, tell me what is wrong with me. I want to hear it from you right now!”

Pinkie bit her lip and began to chew on it. She knew that she was letting on more than she should and that she was risking quite a lot. She assumed she knew what was wrong, but kept it to herself in order to protect the filly.

“Pinkie, I’m waiting.”

“Riiiiiiiiiight. Do you trust me, Sweetie?”

“How can I trust you if you’re not telling me the truth?!”

“That’s because I’m not exactly sure if I’m sure, you know?”

“No, Pinkie, I don’t know.”

“If I’m right then I’ll tell ya and it should be fine, but if I’m wrong then maybe it’s just something else. So do you trust me?”

“I guess so.”

“Good enough for me! I have a few other things to try so let’s get going!” Pinkie said as she led the way back to her room at Sugarcube Corner.

Sweetie sighed and followed. Surely whatever Pinkie was going to try now would be the wrong thing; nothing they tried thus far seemed to provide answers, why would this be any different? That thought made Sweetie nervous.

Pinkie walked over to one corner of her room and started rummaging through a large chest. It was a toy box, Sweetie realized. This was Pinkie Pie she was dealing with, but even so, why would Pinkie need a toy box? It couldn’t have been for the twins, they had one in their own room.

“Here we go. Blocks!” Pinkie deposited a set of blocks on the ground, very similar in style to the ones in the twin’s room. “Now I want you to play with these and just have fun!”

“Pinkie, I think you’re crazy.”

“And I think blocks are fun, don’t you?” Pinkie never waited for an answer; instead, she began to play with the blocks by stacking them into a miniature castle. The mare then turned up to the filly and smirked. Sweetie Belle hesitated, but plopped down and started to play with the blocks as well.

At first the filly was blushing quite uncontrollably, but it eventually stopped when the two joined forces in their building. Blocks stacked up higher and higher with the two ponies balancing them along. The castle was almost complete, but it was at this moment that Sweetie Belle forced herself to stop.

“I don’t… Pinkie, I think I should go.”

Pinkie took that as her cue to stand up. She hugged Sweetie. The pink mare hugged Sweetie Belle for all she was worth. It was only for a split second that Sweetie hesitated or tried to push her off, but a split second after that, she hugged back. It did not stop her, however, from feeling confused.

“Pinkie?”

“Hmm?”

“Why are we hugging?”

“Because, everypony needs a hug to make them happy! Before you go… I think you should take this.”

Sweetie grabbed a book with her magic just as the hug ceased. Pony Psychology

“But I thought—"

“I never said I was an expert. And in case you’re wondering… I got that from Twilight. Anyway, there is a chapter labeled in there. You should read it and then, when you’re ready, you can come back to me or talk to Rarity or your parents or Twilight.” And then Pinkie scooted her out of her room and shut the door.

Sweetie Belle did not hesitate to run home and open the book, reading in silence.