• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 8,281 Views, 300 Comments

Taboo Feelings - abdlpony



Sweetie Belle is a normal filly, at least she thinks so. But even among her fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders, she had always been different. Maybe it was some slight bouts of immature behavior or taking after her older sister.

  • ...
66
 300
 8,281

Was It Foals?

Nervous excitement, it was always both a welcome feeling and something Sweetie loathed. She was insanely nervous to foalsit. It wasn’t because she felt she might screw up, rather, just being there made her nervous. If Pinkie ever told Rarity that she helped watch the twins then Sweetie would need an explanation, an explanation she didn’t have. She only hoped Pinkie would keep her mouth shut, even if that hope made her feel bad to some extent.

"Ever foalsat before, Sweetie?"

"No," she admitted. Foal care was never really on her mind. Until recently. True, she and her friends enjoyed cute things and that included babies, but for some reason she seemed oddly fixated on the twins right now. She wasn't sure if it was because they were babies or because they were cute, it didn't matter though.

“Then I’ll have to teach ya! Just watch out for Pumpkin’s baby magic,” Pinkie said, shuddering at the thought.

Before Sweetie knew what was happening, Pinkie broke into a grin, grabbed her, and walked off. ‘Baby magic’ gave Sweetie a pleasant feeling for a split second, even if she wasn’t sure what Pinkie meant by that. It made Sweetie think about how nice it was being able to use some magic nowadays.

Pinkie stopped in the doorway to the foals room and said just two words. Two words that barely meant anything, but when dealing with babies could literally mean anything. “Uh-oh.” Judging from the sight of one baby crying while the other smiled and the smell, it was a big ‘uh-oh’. “Well, time for your first lesson!” The mare turned serious for a split second while she eyed Sweetie who took that as her cue to pay attention.

Sweetie straightened up and felt that nervous excitement come back in full force; she felt a bit sick from the feeling, but mostly felt sick from the smell. “Um, that’s not what I think it is… is it?

"Uh-huh. It's not so bad though, once you get used to it."

That was something she most certainly did not want to get used to, but she did want to hang out with Pinkie. Sweetie had no choice but to listen to her.

For a split second, the filly had thoughts of doubt. She was questioning why she was even there, but then she shook them away and hesitantly walked up to the crib. The smell was from the unicorn foal, Pumpkin. The very foal that she was warned about. She gulped and turned her head back to Pinkie, hoping to find a smile but instead finding a stoic expression, she almost looked smug.

"Well?" Pinkie asked.

"What?" It was all Sweetie could think of, hoping her minor confusion would be enough for Pinkie to drop it. That was never going to happen in a million years but she figured she should try. Even if her nervous excitement was still there.

"She needs a change, silly, and you are going to do it!"

"Right." Her face turning into a frown. Without thinking, she used what little magic she knew to gently lift the foal and place her on the changing table. It felt good. Good because she did something right, because nothing had gone wrong, and because it wasn’t something she would get in trouble for.

"Good, now keep going…"

"Right." More frowning, but she was keeping up concentration on multiple objects. Unpinning a diaper, throwing it away and wiping off the mess. Powder flew by along with another diaper, her tongue sticking out as she plugged her nose. Concentrating was difficult with magic. When the diaper was on she sighed and felt nothing. No satisfaction from succeeding in her first diaper change, but no guilt; it was weird.

"Great job! You'd make a great mommy!"

The word ‘mommy’ echoed in Sweetie’s ear, she knew that was wrong.

"Now we can play with the little devils!"

More anxiety and more nervous excitement threatened to overload Sweetie’s feelings. She nodded and let Pinkie grab the foals and bring them down onto the floor. Turning around, she spotted several toys sprawled out on the carpet and one mare who was already getting into the swing of things; she was playing while Sweetie was not. It felt wrong but her body wouldn't move, she felt so stressed that she was going to do something wrong or stupid or even embarrassing.

"Well what are you waiting for?!" Pinkie said, gazing down as Sweetie. The grin on the pink mare was so wide it looked almost hurtful, physically at least.

"It's just… I've never played with babies before." She examined the foals some more, they had no embarrassment and no real goals except having the time of their lives. How could Pinkie play so naturally with them? Probably how she does everything else… She was no Pinkie; it was difficult to not blush at the slightest actions for Sweetie Belle. Just doing the diaper change, she could feel her cheeks flaming hot red. Even playing with her friends, she could always feel the familiar yet annoying feeling of rosy cheeks. Having a white coat didn't help either.

"Aww, it's easy! You just have to be real careful not to hurt ‘em. Just pick up a toy and dig in!" Pinkie grabbed a toy to demonstrate.

Dig in. She expected the filly to know exactly how to play and what to do. She had only ever played with her friends before and they never exactly wanted to practice tea parties or play with stuffed dolls. She then spotted a few dolls and she froze up in response. Pinkie was actually instructing her to play with dolls and she had none of her friends around to make fun or question her! This was her chance so why couldn't she move? She was moving, just slower than she would ever admit. Eventually, she found a stuffed doll, not unlike her own, laying on its side. She used a bit of her magic to pick it up and she grasped it in her hooves. She smiled.

"I think maybe Pumpkin wants you to play, Sweetie."

"Huh?" She looked down and realized that she had been sitting there with the doll in her grasp for over a minute, just smiling. "S-s-sure!" She brought the doll down and without thinking she began to role play with it in front of the foal. The more she played and the more she talked in place of the doll, the sillier she felt; she knew this is what babies loved but why didn't she love it? Because she wasn't meant to! It all made sense in a brief flash of realization. Sweetie Belle was, in fact, a young filly; she was meant to slowly grow up and find her way in life. Playing was common place, but not playing with such foalish things. Pinkie was allowed to because it was her duty to watch over these babies, not Sweetie's. It made her feel wrong again, it made her feel guilty and sick. "Um, Pinkie?"

"Keep going! They're loving it!"

"I know, but I think I need to head home…"

"Already? I thought you wanted to hang out?!"

She wasn't sure if the mare was trying to guilt trip her or figure something out, but it was clear that the filly had to be forceful. "I, uh..." She took a deep breath after dropping the doll. However, both Pinkie and even the foals noticed that she was panting, something was wrong.

"Are you okay? I didn't want to say anything because you were doing so well but you keep panicking and you look all embarrassed you silly—"

The filly laughed weakly and then finally gave in. She didn't cry but she had to tell somepony how she was feeling and it was not going to be her sister or her best friends. "I'm not okay." She finally said it, something she had been waiting to utter for the longest time. She didn't feel fine and faking her happiness was only hurting down inside.

"Uhh, you're not?" Pinkie loved to be silly, she loved to make the most out of other ponies days. Being serious was not her strong point.

"I said I'm not okay."

It took every ounce of herself to not groan or sigh. She had to become serious Pinkie. "Um, well what's wrong?"

"Everything." Admitting it lifted a huge weight from her but some was still present. She still felt confused.

"Everything like in this room? Is it the twins? Is it me?" Pinkie grabbed both the foals and bundled them together so they could play alone while she talked to Sweetie.

"I…" She took another breath. "Well, oh! You can't tell Rarity!"

"Uh, okay but—"

"Or my friends!"

"Right…" Thanking Celestia that a Pinkie Promise was never called up, she promised with her hooves held up high.

"Lately I've been feeling weird. I keep playing with one of my dol— No its my only doll. I like it a lot and there are other things that keep distracting me…"

"What kind of things? Like school or your friends or the doll or—"

"Anything!" She practically screamed. "We go on our crusader meetings and I keep daydreaming! We're out trying to get our cutie marks and I stare at a toy store! I'm out with Rarity and I think about you! I don't know why, but I do. I thought it was the babies here and maybe it is, but why?! Why do I keep thinking about them or my doll, just, why, Pinkie?!" She stopped talking as the pink mare looked on in shock. "I just don't want to feel weird."

"Hmm, I'm not quite sure, Sweetie. I'm not a psychiatrist or anything, that's kind of Twilight's gig. Is it only babies that make you feel this way, whatever way that is?" Pinkie had to resist the urge to take out her mustache from before.

Sweetie Belle shook her head. "No! That's what's so confusing! Sometimes it’s dolls or other toys or even some books! Books! I mean I like to go to school but—"

"What books? What kind of books?"

"Books I used to read a lot, it doesn't matter…"

It did matter, the pink mare reasoned but she let her continue.

"Other times it’s other fillies—"

"Okay stop please. You’re being… vague here. What are you feeling exactly when you focus on another filly or book or toy or baby?" Pinkie had lost her silliness, it was for the best she reasoned again, but it still felt wrong.

"Do I have to say it?"

"…Yes, if you really want help. If you don't then all I know so far is that you feel weird around things and other's… Like I said, vague. I'm not stupid, Sweetie Belle, I know some other ponies and I'm sure everypony thinks this way, but I catch more than you would think. I knew something was bothering you if you asked to hang out with me and foalsit! Heh, no offense."

Sweetie blinked at the oddly specific thing the pink mare had said, clearly she was holding that in. "I feel warm and good inside or pleasant? Yeah pleasant. Is that wrong?"

"No, but I'm not sure why you would feel that way for random fillies and toys… Sweetie, not to change the subject, but do you always feel bashful when you play? And I don't just mean with babies here…"

"I guess so. Is that wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong with you, but maybe that's just who you are? It's not a bad thing—"

"But I don't want to be this way! I just want to have fun with my friends and, heck, actually have fun doing it instead of just pretending…"

"Oh, Sweetie…" The party pony wrapped her in for a hug. "I didn't know you felt that way. Do your parents or Rarity or the Crusaders or—"

"No! And they don't need to!"

"Um, yes they do and you are going to tell them straight away!"

"No… No! I'm not telling them anything! You are going to help me fix myself—"

"I already told you, nothing is broken."

It was a simple statement, but Sweetie just knew deep down that she was wrong. "Oh yeah?! I'm not having fun with my friends anymore, I keep staring at weird things, I felt proud to change a diaper… a little, and I… Just help okay?!"

"Hmmm, I'll keep it a secret, but only if you Pinkie Promise me to eventually tell them that something is wrong. They are your family, Sweetie Belle, and they aren't stupid, at least Rarity isn't. She will know when something is up, even if we never tell her."

"Fine, I Pinkie Promise as long as you help me!"

"Deal!"