• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 13,756 Views, 791 Comments

The nature of the beast. - Kintra



The adventures of a sarcastic pessimist who visits a world full of creatures who love and tolerate.

  • ...
63
 791
 13,756

PreviousChapters Next
(25) Life: Surprise

I awoke in a hospital bed. The familiar beeping from nearby told me they had a heart monitor hooked up. “Excuse me?” I rasped and coughed, my mouth felt like sandpaper.

“They aren’t here.” I walked into my view…No Not me, Light.

“What the hell are you?” I could still feel the dryness in my throat as Light walked away and brought back a glass of water.

“For now? Your care taker. Your life source. You’re Light, if you will. Later? Enemy? Friend? Compatriot? Ally? Perhaps even trusted.” He was looking out the only window in the room as I drank the water.

“Ah… That’s much better.” I did a double take as he licked his lips. “Thank you, you were ever so thirsty.” This was freaking me the hell out. The monitor started beeping faster

“Calm yourself! Do you believe I would wish you harm!? I could have simply let you die over these past four days!” Four days? Well FUCK.

“That’s what I said. Now, calm yourself and think for one fucking second!” He was losing his cool…Why am I proud of that?

“Just, think Kyle. Oh. Sorry, Eclipse. Think, Eclipse. I am the root in your chest, I have been with you for a very long time, Feeding. Growing. I have managed to make it to your brain, now. Do not get me wrong. I cannot as you say make you go insane, unless you do it yourself. I am merely a…Oh, Perception screen on your mind.” I listened, but still…What? “I am only here, in your mind.” Wait.

“Then how did you bring me water if you’re a figment of my imagination?” It wierded me out to be speaking English again…

“Ah, the calm rational Eclipse returns. Good, I prefer you over Psycho babbling brook boy.” What?

“As for how I brought the water, I merely used some of the power granted by your spark. I only eat small portions of it you see, so there is quite the excess, you’re welcome to dip into it from time to time. If you would like, of course. I understand you do not trust me, and to be honest, I am a part of you, so I understand better than most.” Okay…


“Right so, you can access the sparks power and you used it to levitate me a glass of water that was out of the room? If your part of me shouldn’t your control be locked to what I see or whatever?” He laughed, It was cold…hollow.

“Very good. Very good, yes and no, I am not restricted to you, as you see once summoned I am more or less my own person, no one else may see me but I may interact with them, For instance.” He walked to my heart monitor and unplugged it. “You see?” That seems like “Cheating…Yes.”

“Okay seriously can you read my thoughts or not?” again with that laugh.

“No dear boy. You are just easy to read. I find you most entertaining a companion, But I fear our time is short. Perhaps we may speak again when you have had time to contemplate what I have told you.” And with that Light faded

“Oh dear, is he dead?” Nurse red heart walked into the room to my now flat lined monitor.

“Sorry, I unplugged it.” They smiled.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An hour of questions and a quick payment later I was out and about, apparently someone washed my clothing which was nice. But I didn’t know what to make of this…’light’ business. Enemy? Friend? Frenemy? *Sigh.* So much shit. So little time… first things first, home work.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten minutes later and I’m in the mayor’s office, no ponies stopped me so maybe they thought I was just gone a few days.


For some reason or another. The mayor wasn’t home but there was a nice stack of papers she left for me to fill out and sort, after filing there were only three things I had to do. The whole process took maybe fifteen minutes; I decided I should head to the library, check on Twi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another ten minute journey and a few hellos (plus an apple pie…Yum) I was at the library. I didn’t want to interrupt anything so I knocked. A few moments later spike answered the door

“Oh my gosh Eclipse! You’re awake!” Spike literally jumped at me, I hugged him and set him down.

“Is Twi home?” he nodded and led me upstairs to a sleeping Twilight. But her mane was all frazzled. She looked like she hadn’t had a decent night’s sleep in days. I looked at spike.
“What happened?” He shook his head.

“When she found out you were in a coma she sort of…Shut down. I’ve never seen it. I pretty much have to force her to eat anything. She just lays there. Sleeping.” I wanted to cry, did my little coma really have this effect?

“Spike? Can you leave me alone with her?” He nodded “Just make her feel better okay?” and with that he left.

I wandered over to twilight’s bed and sat down next to her. I couldn’t help it I stroked her mane and rested my forehead on hers. It was to the point that my mouth was next to her ear.

“Twi...” She stirred. “Twi…” Her eyes started flickering. “Twilight Sparkle.” She opened her eyes, and looked at me as I sat back up. I watched as she did the same. Minus while she did it she started crying.

I adjusted myself on the bed to comfort her as she cried. There was no promise I could make or deal I could take to prevent her from feeling this way. So all I could do was hold her… hold her as she cried out her worries and fears for me.

Eventually she stopped long enough for me to move her onto my lap so I could cradle her, they were like big dogs, and I loved it. Her head rested on my shoulder as I stroked her mane.

“I really like your mane…” I heard her laugh. It wasn’t much, but it made me smile.

“I’m so sorry. I should have invited you, but I thought you were angry at Luna, so I figured taking you to Canterlot would have been weird.” Her crying started to deepen.

“Then I come back and in just...just two days I see a box of the most wonderful quills and a note on my desk by one. ‘I’m in the hospital; some idiot put me in a coma.’”

She was pretty much bawling and now her words were starting to bleed together. I adjusted her so I could kiss the top of her head. I hated seeing her this way… Eventually she calmed again.

“When I got to the hospital I figured there was going to be a surprise party, but when I asked Nurse Red heart where you were, and she showed me you… I just lost it. She said you literally walked in hooked yourself up to the machines and passed into a coma.”

I was listening but really I was freaking MYSELF out. I knew it was light that did it. But still. I walked, into a hospital, in a coma. And hooked myself up. How many people can say they have done that?

“It’s not your fault. Some weird things have been going on lately. I’m sorry… I’m sorry I wasn’t here to wish you happy birthday, I’m sorry I wasn’t there to say hello when you got back… I’m just sorry… Can you forgive me?” I started crying myself. Just those sad quiet sobs when you know you’ve done something horrible…

“Oh eclipse… there’s nothing to be sorry about. I forgive you…” I laughed a little.

Time to get back into the swing of things.

“Well that’s good…Want some pancakes?” She started laughing. I never thought I would be so happy to hear that…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One batch of pancakes and a full pony later, we sat and talked. Apparently she had been taking it the hardest, the others were worried but she was hard core sad, inconsolable over what happened, she blamed herself and generally started being a hater. And I told her that as well. This ended up getting pancake on me because of her laughter. I didn’t mind. I was just happy to see her smiling. I wanted this pony to be happy. Not just if I was around, all the time. But then, I wanted them all to be happy. It just…wasn’t right. These ponies were so easy to hurt. I knew it would happen, But I was going to try as hard as possible to protect them from anything. About halfway through the conversation spike whispered something to twilight and she nodded. Spike left, I assumed to go stare at Rarity. That dog! Dragon… Whatever. Twilight and I ended up discussing the events since my “Accident” Which I still hadn’t explained in detail.

From the looks of everything, there was a zap apple harvest I missed. FUCK right? That was the last episode I had seen.

From there it went to rainbow failing the wonder bolts again because of quote “under enthusiasm.” kinda fucked but I guess this year she didn’t even try I think I knew why, I would have to pay her a visit.

Pinkie made a special cupcake that looked like an Eclipse from the top; supposedly she used some Secret ingredient that only I would recognize, so she is saving it for me. I was pretty curious.

Fluttershy actually had to be forcefully removed from my side because animals around town were getting restless. Another pony I have to apologize too.

Rarity, Took it rather well. In her way, She apparently made me another two outfits which according to spikes reports are just “Recolors of what he is already wearing” One in white and the other with a combination of the both, I’ll admit the combination suit intrigued me.

Thorn and Be apparently moved into my house, since it finished and all that, that was some pretty awesome news. So I was happy about that.

Luna visited me while I was in the hospital. Hearing this made me feel like SHIT. But still.

Aside from that, not a whole lot happened that week. So I didn’t miss much.

Course, I was fucking ecstatic when I heard my house was done. And I had to go check it out!
A five minute walk turned into fifteen because twilight kept pushing me around until I picked her up and carried her to the house. It was impressive, Two stories high, had a balcony off the master bedroom (I claim it, I don’t care.) It in all honesty reminded me of those California Villas built onto the side of cliffs, it wasn’t made of marble but something equally as white, It was like my villa was a piece of Canterlot. That’s right, MY villa. I had a beautiful house, AND it had an indoor swimming pool…Spa…Thing. Only one question remained.

“Twi... Who paid for this?” at this point she made me put her down. “Uhmm. Well… heh… Promise you won’t be mad?” Mad? For what?

“Yea I promise, now really who paid for this? It was Luna right?” she led me into the front room, the blinds were shut and the lights were off.

“How the hell is it so dark in here? The blinds don’t block that much light.”

Then they all flicked on at once, and everypony in town yelled surprise.

“They did.” I smiled. And I realized for the first time… I was really home. I hate surprises.

PreviousChapters Next