• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,466 Views, 356 Comments

Politics - Dai Kirai



It has been a year since the portal connecting Earth and Equestria formed. Embassies have been set up and formal relations have been opened. But can the two sides keep the peace when everybody has their own agenda?

  • ...
37
 356
 3,466

Sparring

3/16/14 1:00pm Earth Embassy, Equestria

The conference room in the Human Embassy was occupied with four creatures, two bipedal and two quadrupedal, they were sitting around a circular table. Anthony was sitting across from Mayor Mare with Avery to his left and the zebra Zecora sitting at the last spot.

Mayor Mare was an amber-gray earth pony with graying hair, who had been Ponyville’s mayor for almost a decade. She was the first to speak. “I was able to bring Zecora like you requested, and you have my deepest apologies about the loss of your guard.” Her tone a mix of annoyance and regret.

“Thank you, Mayor Mare.” The Ambassador replied. “And thank you for saving us the trouble of traveling.”

“It was no trouble.” The Mayor of Ponyville responded “I believe you have some questions to discuss.”

“Zecora, were you traveling in the forest yesterday morning?” Anthony asked, keeping his voice neutral.

The Mohawk maned zebra looked towards the Ambassador before answering his question. “In the woods I did wander, the lack of wildlife I did not ponder.” Zecora started in Equestrian, the rhyming pattern slightly difficult for the humans to follow. “This time of year the forest does fear, wolves in their packs and looking for snacks.”

“Did you happen to see a lone human while you were wandering?” Anthony asked, hoping to not have to ask questions after every one of her utterances.

“I assumed that was why you called me here, of the wolves he could not stay clear. Run through the wood he did, traipsing and tramping when he should have hid.”

Avery wasn’t as patient. “What happened?” He quickly asked.

“Timberwolves attacked him from the back; he turned around when he heard a snap. Off he ran not daring to fight, at three to one he was right. To a cliff he travelled trying to avoid, while the wolves followed and simply toyed. As they got closer he took a step back, ground under his feet he did lack.” Zecora finished.

The humans were quiet for a moment while they figured out what the rhymes meant.

“I assume that was all you needed to know?” Mayor Mare asked, ready to get back to actual work.

“You were there then? Why couldn’t you help him? They were just wolves.” Avery emphasized, forgetting the differences of the few animals who’s names translated as the same thing in English.

“They are not Earth wolves you little fool; they seek out flesh and can be quite cruel. The human had attracted their attention; of this fact I thought I mentioned. Timberwolves are of wood and magic; trying to find one will end quite tragic. With neither a spell nor a weapon I could not afford to simply step in.” Zecora emphasized.

Avery just sat and fumed. Surely you could have done something! Even though he knew there was nothing that could have been done.

“Thank you for coming in and answering some these questions Zecora, it was a lot of help.” The Diplomat assured the zebra.

“Was not a problem I assure; just make sure your people are secure. If a taste for humans they do acquire; to start hunting you they will conspire.” The zebra warned, having lived in the Everfree forest for quite a few years. “If you need any help just inquire, to help all creatures I do aspire.”

With that the two ponies walked out of the office and headed back towards Ponyville.

Avery turned towards the only other human in the room. “Is that all you are going to do? She sat back and watched as one of my men died!” He spat, slamming a hand down on the table.

“Was she just supposed to throw her life away? All of the personnel here were warned about that forest and to stay out of it. If he couldn’t follow that simple of an order maybe he shouldn’t have been here.” Anthony replied, narrowing his eyes and looking at his chief of security. “I believe you have a job to get back to.”

Avery got up from his seat and left through the same door as the ponies had just a minute before. As he closed the door he uttered something under his breath, just loud enough to be heard. “I think someone is starting to go native.”

3/16/14 2:25pm Ponyville

Aiko was walking up a dirt path to a picturesque red two-story barn, apple trees as far as the eye could see. The barn wasn’t that large at about fifty feet square by thirty feet high, just large enough for apple harvests. The large front double doors were open and she could see two ponies on the hay covered floor, the rest of the room was completely empty. The blue pegasus was stretching out with her flank sticking in the air just like a cat would, with wings fully extended, and her polychromatic mane almost touching the ground. While the orange one seemed to be asleep up against the wall of the barn.

Aiko knocked on the open barn door and entered, the dried straw crunching under her dirtied running shoes.

Applejack got up from her resting position in the corner. “Howdy, were just waitin’ fer ya.”

The cyan pegasus jumped up into the air and started shadow boxing. “Yeah, hope you’re ready to get your flank kicked.” Rainbow Dash stopped to think for a moment. “Or whatever it is you humans have.”

“Just give me a second; I need to get changed first.” Aiko replied and pulled off her slightly baggy white t-shirt to reveal the form fitting blue one without sleeves that was underneath. She hadn’t brought her trust FiveseveN with her today, knowing she would have to change and the regulations against human weapons in Ponyville proper. The blue pants stayed where they were; they were designed for running and would suit this situation perfectly.

The clothing wasn’t the top of the line stuff she wanted, or was used to, but regulations were regulations and no advanced materials were to be used in Equestria. But whose idea was that? Theirs or ours? She wondered, remembering the stories about Pandora’s box. The clothing was still advanced; it pulled moisture away from the skin, it breathed, and it was light enough to barely feel it, but it was still available to anyone on Earth with enough money. Even her shoes, while light and designed for her feet, could only do so much. Also the shoes weren’t even steel toed due to the risk of permanent injury they could cause in this sparing match; especially when combined with Aiko’s fighting style.

As Aiko started to stretch, a groan could be heard coming from the cyan pegasus. “We’ve been waiting here forever, aren’t you ready yet?” She groaned.

Aiko walked toward the middle of the barn and turned to her right to look at the impatient mare. “Ready whenever you are.” The human taunted as she bent her knees and pulled her hands up to her chest.

Rainbow looked to her orange friend. “Uhh, who goes first?” She asked, not having thought that far ahead.

Before Applejack could respond Aiko spoke up, “I’m fine with both at once.” The lilt in her voice, giving away her anticipation.

And without warning a blue streak came straight at the human’s chest. Aiko barely saw the streak fly at her and had no chance to move out of the way. The speeding projectile of a pony hit Aiko on the left side of her chest, sending her to the floor while the pegasus slowed and started hovering some distance away from the downed human.

What the hell was that? Aiko asked as she picked herself up off the ground. Can they all move with that kind of speed? She felt her shoulder and the bruise starting to form, making sure to keep an eye on the speed demon. The SAD Operative hadn’t forgotten about the earth pony that was now behind her, but the lack of any noise meant there was only the one attacker for the moment.

Without notice, Rainbow Dash went flying at the human again.

Aiko saw the rainbow-maned flier come at her again; this time early enough to take a step back and to the side in order to dodge, except for the outstretched hoof that clotheslined the human, hitting her in the chest for a second time. As the human fell backwards, she put her chin to her chest and put her elbows behind herself. As she hit the ground, the forearms snapped out to absorb part of the blow as she rolled back practically onto her shoulders and feet rising above her head. Aiko the uses the momentum to push her feet towards the ground again and jumped back up to her feet, turning around to face her assailant.

She’s fast, but she always attacks from the front, and always at the same speed. An idea was starting to form in Aiko’s head. As it formed, she could feel the corners of her mouth lift up into a grin.

Rainbow Dash came straight at Aiko again as the human lowered her stance and raised her arms. A split second before the human thought she would get hit, both of her hands shot forward, wide open, towards the pair of flapping cyan wings. If I can drag you to the ground, you lose your advantage. Even if I miss the wings, I can get her in a bear hug and force her down.

But the polychromatic blur did something ‘impossible’ as Aiko’s hands began to close, she made an immediate 90 degree turn to her left to try and avoid the humans reach. And a second later made another 90 degree turn, this time to her right, all in the space of five feet and at full speed.

Aiko managed to grab a rear hoof and hang on for a moment, but lost her grip when the flier made the second turn. She’s too fast. The human thought as she heard a few hoofsteps behind her; the orange pony was getting ready in case her friend needed help. Let’s see if I can’t use this to my advantage.

Aiko backed up until she was about eight feet from the wall of the barn, facing the two ponies and put her weight over her left foot. Her grin returned. “What’s wrong?” The human chided, “Human got your hoof?”

At the insult and the insinuation that she could ever lose, Rainbow flew headlong at Aiko again, who was more than ready. As the pegasus came closer, Aiko quickly moved her left foot backwards and to the side to move her body out of the way to avoid getting hit by the speeding pagasus. Aiko then quickly brought her right knee up to her side just as the pegasus started to pass her. She quickly whipped her leg around, performing an inside crescent kick. The hit landed on Rainbow’s rear hooves, giving the pegasus a little extra momentum and slamming her, muzzle first into the wall of the sturdy barn.

Rainbow Dash was a little disappointed in the abilities of this ‘great’ fighter. Pfft, I’m not even trying yet. She thought as she clotheslined the human who quickly got back up and entered a different fighting stance. At least it looks like it can learn. The pegasus thought as she zipped straight at the human again. She barely saw the arms which were looking like they were trying to grab something, and just far enough apart for it to be her wings.

Rainbow quickly banked to her left to avoid the human’s grasp. When the pegasus felt pressure on her rear hoof, she banked back to the right, as the pressure let up, she returned back to the cowpony’s side. What the hay kind of sparring is that? Going for a pegasi’s wings?

Rainbow noticed the human backing up towards the wall of the barn. She grinned at the thought of the human finally seeing her as the great martial artist that she was.

Until the human decided to insult the proud pegasus. “What’s wrong? Human got your hoof?”

And with that, Rainbow Dash flew at the human, pumping her wings to gain what little speed she could in such an enclosed space. As the speeding pegasus neared, the human just seemed to melt to the side. Rainbow then felt a pressure against her rear legs pushing her forward. Oh no! Rainbow screamed to herself as the barn wall approached, unable to account for the increase to her speed.

Rainbow felt her muzzle impact with the wall and then the floor. The sounds of the scuffle still reaching her, even though she was too dazed to make any of it out.

Aiko quickly pivoted and turned around at the other threat, assuming the first one to be down for a few moments. The orange pony is now galloping straight at her. In response, Aiko sprints towards Applejack, running off of pure instinct.

When only a few feet apart; Aiko bent her legs and pushed straight upward, bending at her waist with hands out. The human brought her hands down on Applejack’s back and straightened out her back, using the pony as a pommel horse. Aiko was trying to get behind her opponent, where she had always trained to attack from because it gave the greatest advantage. She then pushed off the earth ponies back and twisted in the air so she would face her opponent the moment she touched the ground. Hit the ground, sprint forward, and yank the tail to force her to disrupt her movement and force her to the ground.

Aiko never got the chance as she saw an orange-fur covered hoof come straight out and slam into her, just beneath the ribcage. Aiko went pale, the kick pushed her back several feet and skidded to a stop, gasping for breath.

Applejack quickly galloped over and extended her hoof to poke the human in the shoulder. “You okay there Sugarcube?”

Aiko gasped as her bruised shoulder was touched by the errant hoof. “Yeah.” She managed to wheeze out. “Just need a moment to rest.” She’d been hit just below the diaphragm, and just inches short of her floating ribs. Shit, human tactics don’t work on ponies in close range, the conditioning is all wrong. Any effective combat strategy will require the use of weapons or attacking from the side. The CIA Officer decided as she sat there to catch her breath and formulate a more effective strategy.

3/16/14 3:00pm Earth Embassy, Equestria

Avery was walking through the plain white halls of the Embassy, looking for a certain person since they were both off-duty now. If I were Victor, where would I be? He wondered and headed off for the main entrance; shoes squeaking on the linoleum floor.

As Avery neared the main entrance he could hear a conversation going on.

“This is a rather nice assignment. Heaters, no having to fight rats for food, no one trying to shoot you.” A male voice was saying.

A small gasp informed Avery of who his buddy was talking to. As he entered, Avery started to taunt his partner. “Yeah, I remember his first mission.” As he walked towards the U-shaped receptionist’s desk, Avery saw the increasing interest of the receptionist. “It was in Palestine in 2004. A bomb went off not thirty feet from us.” The Chief of Security went on when he heard the gasp from the receptionist. “He damn near pissed his pants and went running out of there and I had to chase him down.” He said as his grin got bigger.

“That’s not what happened Rebe-“ Victor started only to be interrupted by his friend.

“He ran straight into a Presidential Guard and started blathering. It almost ruined the mission then and there.”

“I have to get going.” The receptionist stated. “I have an appointment at five.” She quickly gathered her stuff and headed deeper into the Embassy to where the workers quarters were located.

Victor looked at his Commander, mouth agape. “That wasn’t the way it went down. There was a runner. Why’d you do that? It was working so well.”

“Because of the look on your face.” And, then the elder soldier’s face set into something more serious. “Besides, you don’t need the distraction while working here.”

“Meeting go bad boss?” Victor asked.

“Yeah, they basically told me to piss off.” Avery griped, turning and heading deeper into the embassy. Setting a brisk pace.

“It was kinda his fault though.” Victor stated, having read the same information as all the other personnel. “And, there was a huge warning about that place.”

“That doesn’t make it any easier.” Avery conceded. “I still lost a man yesterday.” That hasn’t happened since Nicaragua. His face turned grim, brows furrowing down. And if I ever find that bastard!

“How about we get some steaks and beer while we watch the game?” Victor offered, interrupting Avery’s train of vengeance.

“Wasn’t that game on a few weeks ago?”

“Yeah, but they only recently got it all set-up. They felt the troops here deserved a replay of the Super Bowl; they’re broadcasting it through the portal.” Victor had found out a few things from the receptionist before being interrupted.

“Sounds good.” Avery conceded, “I knew there was a reason I kept you around.”

“Yeah, cause orders have nothing to do with it.” Victor taunted, having worked with the same person almost exclusively for the last 6 years.

“And, afterwards we can get some practice in at the shooting range.” Avery took a breath, starting to feel better.

“And, we can use those crappy backwards books you like for shooting practice.” Victor teased.

3/16/14 5:30pm Ponyville

Anthony exited the Embassy at the end of his day, surprised Aiko wasn’t back yet. She’s generally very punctual. As he exited out the Embassy, aware that the guards by the door would give him an alibi for his bodyguard. The sun was starting to set behind Canterlot Castle which blinded him for a moment.

When his vision cleared, he saw his wife standing against the inside of the wall that surrounded the embassy. She looked a little bedraggled, her blue pants were scuffed and the white t-shirt was covered in enough sweat to show the scuffed shirt underneath it. As he neared, the other injuries became more apparent. Aiko’s left eye was bruised, she was supporting her left arm with her right, and leaning on her right leg like the other one was bothering her.

The corners of Anthony’s lips quirked up and he startled to chuckle. “How’s the other guy look?” he asked. “Haven’t seen you this beat up since college and you gave that open challenge to the different sports clubs.” He chuckled again, images of an even more bedraggled Aiko filling his mind, and then saddened at the image of the ambulance that had to come for one of the other combatants.

All Aiko did was to glare at her charge. “It was a pony if you already know.” She groaned. “And they look better, except for a few bruises and maybe a broken nose.” She turned to go, knowing that Anthony would follow her. “Besides, you know I don’t fight like that anymore; much.” As she walked back towards their home, still well enough to defend her husband, and with the needed knowledge now to do it.

3/18/19 6:00pm Portal Room, Earth

President Margarette Tow was standing in front of the shining white portal on the Earth side in her trademark suit. Most of the workers had left for the day, except for the few guards required for her ‘safety’, as if they could do anything. How would the people react if they knew the power that lay behind this field?

The portal began to ripple near the top, and a horn emerged about seven feet from the ground. Slowly, Princess Celestia came through the portal and stepped onto Earth for the first time. Her white fur still shining despite the lack of natural light in the room.

Celestia looked around the room, the first truly human space she had seen, and gave a slight bow to the President.

Margarette Tow bowed back. “Welcome to Earth, Princess Celestia.” She greeted. “Ready to make history tomorrow?”