• Published 24th May 2013
  • 3,467 Views, 356 Comments

Politics - Dai Kirai



It has been a year since the portal connecting Earth and Equestria formed. Embassies have been set up and formal relations have been opened. But can the two sides keep the peace when everybody has their own agenda?

  • ...
37
 356
 3,467

Plans

Author's Note:

And I figure this will start getting serious shit, but oh well. One thing I would like to clear up is the "giving" land as far as embassies goes. It works like a reservation. And can be confusing as all hell. It is still technically US territory but the laws can be different and there are some interesting ways the law works in relation to such. Been having trouble with editors so sorry for any confusion. The next three chapters are done but not sure what to do after that. Not story wise as everything is already scripted, but in producing it.

5/10/14 1:28am Classified Location, Earth

Avery Anwar sat at the head of the large table. The walls were a solid dark grey as were the tables and chairs with incandescent lights; it was an older meeting room that had never been updated. The table was circular and could easily seat twelve people. Aiko Nakamura Marcus sat across from Avery with Victor Sizemore to his left. Avery had reservations about this mission, but he had his orders.

“Well.” Victor started, leaning back in his chair, posture relaxed. “Looks like the gangs all here.” The Special Activities Division Operative looked to his left, at the female operative and the humor left his face. “Again.”

Will have to keep these two separated during the mission. Avery dreaded. If we had more experts they wouldn’t both be necessary. Avery ruminated. There’s never enough resources for any mission. “Actually,” Their leader grinned, happy to have a surprise. “We have one more member for this mission.”

Aiko sat up straighter, looking straight at her leader for this operation. “We don’t even know what the mission is yet?” She was stunned. “How have you been read in on this mission already?”

“The Director briefed me personally.” Avery informed his comrades, not liking the change in the room’s atmosphere. “We will need everyone we can get on this operation.” He informed.

“Great!” Aiko said sardonically. “Who the hell did they stick us with?”

“What’s wrong?” Victor asked, his tone rising a little. “Someone not play well with others?” He taunted, lips quirking slightly.

“I work fine with others.” Aiko offered. “Just not the ones that blow ops.” She smiled back, leaning to her left. “But you’d know all about that wouldn’t you?”

“That was your damned fault.” Victor replied, hand smacking the table as he leaned forward. “If you had killed that stupid guard instead of just disabling him, that alarm never would have been sounded.”

“Or maybe if you had taken in your surroundings like a proper operative, instead of just running in and blindly firing at anything that moved, they wouldn’t have known we were there” Aiko rebutted, voice turning acerbic. “Or were you just wanting another scar for the ladies?”

Shit! Avery cursed. That happened quicker than expected.

All sense of jovialness left Victor’s face. “We can’t all have great cover ID’s like you do?” Victor spat. “Where’d you find that sucker anyway?”

Aiko was still smiling but there was a tenseness to her eyes. “You know damned well where I found him.” She informed. “Besides, he got what he wanted.”

Avery was familiar with this story, it was one of the features that secured her a spot in the CIA and her successful deployment to Japan. Creating such a thought out cover in freshman year of college was brilliant. Not even all senior field agents can do such a thorough job. To manipulate a man into marrying you, one that is bound for foreign shores no less. And then to keep that marriage going for over a decade. Avery was impressed.

“Yeah,” Victor said, sickened. “Luck.” He scooted his chair back.

Aiko laughed audible without shifting her position. “It’s called basic skill and manipulation.” She taunted, her eyes still tense.

Anyone could read the situation but Avery hoped the tension would ease on its own. That one of these two would think like field operatives.

“You should learn it sometime. “Aiko continued, smile shrinking. “It might leave you with fewer holes.”

Victor stood up from his chair and moved for his female counterpart, body tensed for a fight. Aiko’s didn’t change how she was seated, just moved her right hand behind her back. As Victor moved closer, Aiko’s hand came out from behind her back holding a pistol.

Avery recognized the pistol; it was a powerhouse and with the proper ammunition could actually punch a hole through police grade Kevlar. The FN FiveseveN was designed as the companion sidearm to the P90 and used the same 5.7x28mm ammo. Both were regularly used by the Secret Service and were not to be trifled with.

“Just try it.” Aiko threatened, features set.

“How did you get a weapon through security?” Victor asked in disbelief, unwilling to take a step back and still looking angry.

“It’s amazing what you can sneak through security.” Aiko said as her grin returned, lightly leaning back into her chair. “Especially if you use non-lethal rounds.”

The situation has just gotten out of hand. Victor was leaning forward, debating if he could get to the gun before Aiko could pull the trigger. The plastic baton rounds that were designed as non-lethal rounds, could still be lethal. They could crack bone unless the load, the amount of gunpowder the round used, was lessened to lower the speed the bullet traveled.

ENOUGH!” Avery bellowed. Damned school children. “You will both sit down, shut up, and disarm.” When he saw neither party move he reiterated. “That’s an order.”

Victor reluctantly walked back to his seat, glaring daggers at Aiko when he finally sat.

Aiko for her part ejected the magazine and set it on the table then pulled back the slide to eject the tabled round and set all three parts on the table in front of her. She turned to her commander. “It’s not like I would have killed him.” The field operative offered.

This is not going to happen again. Avery cursed. “Do you want to know about our fourth member or not?” He asked to short circuit another argument by the two people who should never work together.

“Why the hell not.” Victor offered. “Can’t get any worse.”

“Fine by me.” Aiko answered.

Can’t put this off any longer I guess. Avery had no clue how this introduction would go, which was always a bad thing when having to go behind even friendly lines. “He is currently a distinguished Marine Corps Scout Sniper.” He noticed Victor’s rapt attention, having never worked with a sniper or any long range unit before. And Aiko’s expression started to fall.

“He is currently an instructor with Camp Pendleton and has been assigned to us by JSOC.” Avery informed his squad of their new companion. “He has gone through every course the Marine Corps offers its snipers including urban and mountain warfare.” He noticed as Aiko’s face continued to darken and Victor continued looking curious. “His name is Isao Nakamura.”

Victor started spasming, trying to hold back his laughter.

“Isao,” Avery called. “Can you come in here please?”

A somewhat short man came in from the door across from Victor. He stood at five foot eleven with medium length, professional looking black hair. His skin was a tanned manila color from spending too many days out in the sun. The sniper then looked around the room, his eyes falling on the only woman in the room. Isao grinned. “Hey Aiko.” He called. “Long time no see.”

“What the hell are you doing here?” Aiko jumped out of her chair, livid.

“What. You don’t like seeing your big bro?” Isao asked, raising a hand to his chest and feigning hurt.

Aiko’s brows met between her eyes as she glared at Avery. “What happened to the requirements of nobody on this mission having a family?” She asked. “He has two kids. What are they going to do if this mission goes sideways? No way they pull in four operatives for something low risk.”

“I’m just that good.” Isao replied cockily. “So, what is this mission and why did I have to study such an odd language?” He asked.

This was the part Avery was dreading. It was going to happen eventually. “He is here because he is the best and with you two being related it gives him a reason to come along, a reason no one else could have had.” He told his small squad. He had to take a deep breath. “If this mission goes sideways,” Avery looked down trying to figure out how to break this to them. They had all accepted the mission before ever hearing what it was about. “If this mission goes sideways we will be labeled as extremists by our own government and will be charged with espionage at the minimum. We aren’t entirely sure, but as of this moment we no longer officially represent the United States, at least until we return safe and sound.”

All three pairs of eyes turned to their commander, a mixture of feelings flashing through their eyes. Isao, the newest member, looked worried; he had the most to lose with a family and the threat of his children losing out on his benefits. He was also a wild card, no one on this mission had worked with him before. Aiko’s expression was different though, she seemed just as stoic as ever; and if Avery hadn’t spent so much time with her over the past year he would have missed the small lines of worry at the corners of her eyes. Victor looked conflicted, a mixture of excitement and worry warring for his attention.

Avery stood up from his chair. “I can explain this better out at the shooting range.” He offered. “We have special weapons that were designed especially for this mission and new targets to practice with. We are short of time on this one, with less than three weeks before we have to move out.” Three weeks to train for a mission that should require three months of planning and preparation. Avery dreaded this assignment, and wondered how to explain Project Icarus.

5/31/14 11:59pm Area 51, Earth

Senator Stephen Brent’s informant had just received the package and taken a look at the documents that were supposed to be planted in the unicorn’s office. “Hell no. Not this time.” The informant cursed, tired at being blackmailed into helping out the Senator. But this last recording the informant had been able to record thanks to some clever planning.

The informant stood in front of a weapons locker in Area 51. The final stages of the mission had been planned and the materials were locked up, but a few things needed to be changed. The lock was meant to be difficult to open but the informant had a lot of experience picking locks and it gave within two minutes. After this, there’s no way the Senator will walk out of this one unscathed. The bastard will pay. And these babies were easier to smuggle in than I had anticipated. The informant thought as they went to work on ‘modifying’ some of the equipment.

The only thing the ex-informant regretted was that in order to get their revenge, that the rest of the strike team would have to face punishment. But how much pain and suffering has he already caused. Four lives is a small price to pay to stop such evil.

6/1/14 1:30am Ponyville, Equestria

Pinkie Pie slept soundly on her fluffy pink bed in the attic of Sugar Cube Corner, the premier patisserie in Ponyville. She was exhausted after half of Ponyville and several humans that were still willing to leave their embassy came wanting something sweet. She was so exhausted that she never felt the slight movement of her hot pink tail twitching, nor the more severe twitching that spread to her whole body. The twitching increased and bounced her around her bedroom, only waking up long enough to climb back into bed.

6/1/14 1:26am Area 51, Earth Staging Point of Operation Vikare

Avery stood in the front of a grey wall inside of Area 51. It was time to implement Operation Vikare, he didn’t care much for the name but he also wasn’t the one that designated operational titles. His squad was ready and present, all decked out for their mission.

Avery was wearing full desert camouflage and had a pack that contained listening devices and a vest with extra ammunition in it. He also had a set of newer night vision goggles that overlay thaumaturgical energy so he could see magic and its casters. It would have to be tuned to a minimum because ever since the ponies had set up shop, thaumaturgical radiation had been absorbed by everything in the area making it harder to distinguish. He also carried two weapons; one was a standard P90 in case they were captured to sell their cover as independent extremists and a weapon that looked like a modified paintball gun and was to be his primary weapon.

“So, how exactly do we get in?” Victor inquired, wearing exactly the same things as his commander. “You explained how Project Icarus created a tunnel between Area 51 and the research facility that houses the portal but not how to access it.”

“That’s because no risks can be taken on this mission. We still don’t even know if the shield around the Equestrian Embassy goes underground or if it can detect disturbances near it. No risks.” Avery reminded everybody. One mistake can end not only this operation, but our lives and any hope of rebuilding relations between the United States and Equestria. “That’s why we’ve been sequestered for everything but the move here.” He looked at his troops. “Does everybody remember their jobs?” He asked.

Avery was greeted by understanding nods all around. “Let’s run through them one more time just in case.”

“Victor?” Avery asked. It was his job to make sure everyone knew their roles before proceeding.

Victor rolled his eyes. “You and I will go into Bridle Lake village and plant listening devices around the village. Make sure to bug the Ambassador’s residence, reports say the Ambassador will be in Equestria this weekend making our mission easier. We just need to place the listening devices at the houses of the major players and a few randomly to keep track of the ponies’ public opinion.” The operative told his commander for who knew how many times.

“We shouldn’t have any difficulty with Celestia as she will be in the top floor of the Embassy.” Avery turned to consult Aiko.

She was wearing a black skintight uniform of reactive silicone, better able to spread the impact of a hit to a larger area and decrease the resulting damage. She also had the FiveseveN strapped to her lower back with a pack of supplies above it and a modified paintball gun hanging from a strap at her shoulder. “Infiltrate the Embassy, plant the bugs and get out. Stay off the top floor and Celestia. We don’t have floor plans so take it slowly.”Aiko nodded in understanding.

Avery turned to the last member of his squad, Isao. He had on a set of urban camouflage, more useful for his position on top of the research facility and a medium size pack across his back where his gear was stowed. The only weapon he would carry was a night black Dragunov SWD-M Sniper Rifle with a bipod so it could be fired while standing and a 6x42 telescopic sight which was currently in his pack. “Yeah, don’t worry. I’ll place the optical bug on the roof of the research facility and aim it at top floor of the Embassy. We’ll hear anything they plan. I get the easy job.”

Optical listening devices were one of Avery’s favorite tools; they were easy to spot if you understood technology but didn’t have to be placed in the same room. It would shoot an infrared laser, something that was not visible to the naked eye and capture vibrations in glass, translating the conversations back at the device. “Your second job will be to set up your rifle and watch everyone’s backs. Report instantly if you see anything wrong.” Avery finished.

“Always. Semper fidelis.” Isao replied.

“Remember everyone.” Avery warned again. “This is a stealth mission. In and out, don’t get seen.” He then raised his modified paintball gun. “If you have to shoot, use your tranq gun.” He pointed to the ‘hopper’ at the top of the weapon. “This holds your darts, and the compressed air is in the handle. A magazine can only hold six darts at a time, so don’t waste them.” Avery put the dart gun back at his side. “Two shots for earth ponies and one for both unicorns and pegasi.”

“What if we run into the big one?” Victor asked.

Avery could see Victor’s body it was too still, his face was set, blinking faster. The two had been on enough missions to tell when the other was scared. The only people who wouldn’t feel such a thing had ice running through their veins.

Avery thought that over for a moment. Tranq guns shouldn’t work to begin with. It never would in humans, their weights were too varied. Command said they tested this anesthetic out in hospitals and it worked the same way every time, down to a science. “If you run into the big one…I have no clue.” He finally admitted.

“How do we actually get in?” Isao asked, looking ansty.

“This is how.” Avery stated as he reached up and hit a small button in the ceiling. A small section of wall, about four by six feet opened up to reveal a tunnel lit by the occasional light. “This tunnel leads to the Director’s office on the second floor of the research facility. From there we can use the pipe just outside the window to get to the ground and the roof. It being night and the shield in place, the number of guards should be at a minimum.”

Avery took one last look at his squad. “Let’s go people.”

Avery took up the front position followed by Isao then Aiko and Victor took the rear. Thankfully the tunnel entrance was on the ground floor as was the first twenty feet of the tunnel, but they still had to descend several flights of stairs in order to get under the ground. The tunnel was only wide enough for the team to use single file.

At the back of the lineup, Victor and Aiko started talking, too tense to start a proper argument.

“So,” Victor started a minor quaver in his voice. “Missing meat yet?” He asked.

“Of course.” She responded, hiding her emotions. “But humans are hunters and the ponies can smell it. We put out extreme amounts of odor to communicate with each other because we have a bad sense of smell. But the ponies have the standard herbivores acute sense of smell which can be dangerous in the tight confines of the Embassy.” She stated, the recitation helping to focus her mind. “Even this suit has things to limit my odor. Every little bit helps. I even shaved any source of body hair that are used to amplify odor.”

“So,” Victor started to speak, a little calmer. “After this is done, would you like to get a steak?” He offered. “Maybe bury the hatchet?”

“If we make it through this thing, then yes.” Aiko responded. “That actually sounds wonderful.”

“Good luck.” Victor wished his teammate.

“You too.” Aiko replied.

Now they start to work together, why couldn’t they have done that last week? Avery hissed, remembering the physical fight they had during close quarters training.

5/31/14 10:00pm Bridle Lake, Equestrian Zone, Earth

Twilight stood outside the door with her friend Rainbow Dash. The building was indistinguishable from the surrounding ones except everypony knew it belonged to their Ambassador, Rarity.

“Are you sure this isn’t going to be all girly?” Rainbow Dash asked for the fifth time in just as many minutes. “I’ve never been to a slumber party before and this is Rarity we’re talking about.”

“We are here to support our friend. I thought you were the Element of Loyalty.” Twilight jibbed.

“I am here aren’t I.” Rainbow responded. “But if my mane gets styled while I’m asleep.” Rainbow mocked threatened.

“This is a celebration, Rarity has been reinstated as Ambassador, she officially starts working with Celestia on Monday.” Twilight tried to ease the fears of her friend. “This is a celebration.”

Rainbow half-lidded eyes stared back at the unicorn, clearly unamused.

“Fine.” Twilight huffed, lowering her head. “I promise you won’t get your mane styled.” And everypony thinks Applejack is the stubborn one.

“If this is a party then why couldn’t anypony else make it? Maybe invite Pinkie to throw it.” Rainbow Dash hoped. Pinkie always threw the best parties.

“This is meant to be low key.” Twilight reminded her pegasus friend. “Rarity is stressed, the past few months have been trying for her. This is just to get her mind off of things and to relax. Besides, our other friends are watching Sweetie Belle making sure she’s okay with this news.”

The door in front of the two ponies popped open and a white unicorn came out to greet the pair. “I hope you two were not planning on spending the whole night out here talking.” Rarity greeted excitedly, mane perfectly coiffed. “There are so many fun things planned for tonight.” The seamstress squealed. “Truth or Dare, pillow fights,” Rarity stated as Rainbow Dash finally looked excited about something that night. “And MAKEOVERS!” Rarity called.

Twilight entered happily, no books in tow, this was meant to be low key and didn’t require any resources on how to throw a slumber party.

Rainbow Dash grudgingly followed behind her two friends, grumbling at her misfortune.