• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 21,608 Views, 3,441 Comments

The Thousand Year Change - Darthvalgaav



After seeing what happened when she accidently changed her friends destinies, Twilight is curious about about the 'what if'. Like, for example, what if Luna had ponies a thousand years ago who noticed her.

  • ...
125
 3,441
 21,608

PreviousChapters Next
No Dragons Allowed

“Good golly!” yelled Applejack as she watched Spike fall to the floor. In his chest was the green, oval shaped object that Twilight had shot into him. Looking closer, the farmer mare could see that it had broken past the baby dragon’s scales, but there wasn’t any blood.

“That’s a relief,” they heard Twilight say with a sigh as all heads turned to face her. Before Twilight could say or do anything, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity were in her face giving her angry looks. The only two who weren’t were Pinkie Pie, who was staring at Spike curiously, and Trixie.

‘This is bad,’ thought Trixie with a horrified look on her face. ‘Moon Dancer made Trixie promise to take good care of Spike. And, she’s the most popular mare back at school! When they find out that Spike died under Trixie’s watch, then Trixie will be so dead.’

“Why did you do that?!” roared Fluttershy. “He was a sweet, innocent baby dragon who had never done anything to you. Yet, you shot him with…with whatever it was that you shot him with! What do you have to say for yourself, missy?”

“I was following the law?” replied a slightly frightened Twilight.

“What kind of law says it’s ok to shot a dragon?” demanded Rainbow Dash.

Twilight facehoofed. “You seriously didn’t just say that,” said Twilight. “Look, do any of you know anything about dragons? Sure, he looks small and innocent looking now, but he won’t when he grows up.”

“Lookie-lookie,” exclaimed Pinkie Pie all of a sudden. The girls looked over at Spike and most of them felt their jaws drop in shock, except for Twilight who looked on with a knowing smile.

The oval object had melted right into him, causing Spike’s body to grow bright green and began to shift around rapidly. Hard scales became soft purple fur, while the rounded spikes on his head turned into a green mane, and his dragon tail was replaced with a green-coated tail. His clawed hands began to merge together and harden, until they became hooves. Finally, a small horn grew out of his head.

Everypony stared in surprise that Spike was now a unicorn colt!

“That was so cool!” exclaimed the pink pony, beginning to bounce up and down. “Can you shot me with one of those things next? Maybe I can turn into Gummy!”

Spike then let out a moan. “Can you keep it down,” he grumbled. “I’m trying to sleep right now.”

“S-Spike,” stammered Trixie. “Trixie thinks you s-should really get up now.”

Groaning, Spike rolled onto his stomach and tried to stand up. However, as soon as he did this, he found himself on all fours. It was then that he noticed his hooves and proceeded to freak out. The dragon turned unicorn began to check every part of himself in a mad panic.

“See, he’s completely unharmed,” said Twilight. Then, her expression changed to an apologetic one. “Look, I’m sorry if I scared anypony. But, the law is very clear on what we are supposed to do when we see a dragon. I guess I panicked when I saw him here.”

“Don’t say you’re sorry to us,” said Fluttershy firmly. “Say you’re sorry to him.”

“She is right, you know,” said Rarity. “I can’t imagine what it’s like to be suddenly attacked for no reason.”

‘Trust me, the irony is not lost,’ thought Twilight as she nodded and walked up to Spike. When she was standing right in front of him, the dragon turned pony looked up at her with wide green eyes.

“I’m really sorry,” said Twilight, lowering her head. “But, dragons are forbidden inside the Republic. If you went on a greed-induced growth spurt, you could do a lot of damage.”

“A-a what?” asked Spike.

“According to Princess Luna, it’s basically when a dragon gets too greedy, it can cause them to artificially age at an alarming rate,” explained Twilight. “You could go from a baby to an adult in a matter of days, depending on how greedy you get. While this is happening, the dragon’s mind begins to regress to a more primitive state.

“Just think what that would mean to us! The damage a giant creature like a dragon could do: the loss of homes, food, and maybe even lives. It’s even possible that a dragon going through this could even destroy the Dome.”

“So you turned me into a pony?” asked Spike.

“Well, yeah,” said Twilight. “It’s one of the methods we have of dealing with creatures that could pose a threat. I know I scared you and turned you into a pony against your will, but I hope you aren’t too angry with me.”

“No, I’m not angry,” said Spike sternly, causing Twilight to gulp. Then, Spike’s face lit up. “This is the best day ever!”

“WHAT?” shouted everypony in the room.

“But, darling, she shot you,” said Rarity. “Aren’t you mad about that?”

“Yes,” agreed Fluttershy with a nod. “Not only that, you’re no longer a cute baby dragon.”

“Well, I didn’t like being shot,” admitted Spike. “But, you have no idea what it’s like being a dragon growing up in Equestria. Sure, everypony is nice and all, but I just have never felt like I truly belonged. It’s like…it’s like being the only orange in a barrel of apples. You just stick out too much. Do you get what I’m saying?”

The mares in the room looked at each other for a moment. One by one, they tried to picture themselves in Spike’s horseshoes. What would their lives be like if they were surrounded by dragons, instead of ponies? Not having another pony to talk to. Having to eat a special diet compared to others. It didn’t seem all that appealing.

“Well,” said Applejack after a bit, “ah guess ah can see where you’re comin’ from.”

“Oh, we should throw him a party!” cried Pinkie Pie. “An ‘I was just turned into a pony’ party. I’ve never thrown one of those before. I wonder what kind of streamers I should use?”

“But, are you sure this is what you want?” asked Rarity. “I mean, sure it might be great now, but this is a serious change. You are going to have to adjust and relearn everything.”

“And, what about Moon Dancer,” added Trixie. “She’s been taking care of you ever since you hatched. What about how she feels that her assistant is now a pony?”

“Don’t worry, the change isn’t permanent,” said Twilight. “In a few days, Spike will return to being a dragon. But, if he really wants to, there is a special procedure that he can undergo that will make it permanent. But, I would wait a day or two before doing something like that.”

“Does it hurt?” asked Spike.

Twilight shook her head. “Not at all,” she replied. “In fact, it’s very similar to what Scootaloo went through.”

“What happened to Scootaloo?” demanded Rainbow as she appeared in front of Twilight.

Taking a breath, Twilight began to explain what she and Shadow had discovered when they found Scootaloo. As she continued on to how they managed to cure the filly’s crossbreed syndrome, Twilight began to use bigger and bigger words that Rainbow didn’t understand. But, what she, and every other mare in the room for that matter, began to understand was that Twilight had taken Scootaloo, in order to help her.

Spike, however, wasn’t listening to Twilight’s lecture. Instead, he was checking out his new body. The fact that he had a horn excited him. Now he could use magic! That meant that cleaning up after Moon Dancer would be a breeze! He could never understand how such a talented magic user couldn’t put her own stuff away in a flash.

As he continued to look over his body, Spike noticed something on his flank. It was a scroll with the bottom part being consumed by green flames. It only took Spike a half second to figure out what it was.

“Hey, I got a cutie mark,” exclaimed Spike.

“WHAT?!” a high pitched voice shouted from somewhere in the room. “That’s not fair!”

“Shh,” came another voice. “Ya’re gonna give us away.”

“That sounded like Sweetie Belle,” exclaimed Rarity.

“And mah sister, Apple Bloom,” added Applejack. The two elder sisters began to search the room, looking for their own younger sister. Eventually, they stopped at the extra bag Rarity had brought. Using her magic, Rarity opened it up to reveal the two fillies, who looked rather nervous now that they had been caught.

“Um, hey sis,” said Apple Bloom sheepishly as the two got out of the bag.

“What the hay were ya both thinking?” demanded Applejack.

“Well, we heard that Scootaloo was here,” said Sweetie Belle. “I hadn’t seen her for a while and I was getting worried.”

“So, we thought that we could come with ya’ll and see her,” finished Apple Bloom.

“And it never crossed either of your minds to ask?” asked Rarity. “Honestly, did either of you think about how many ponies are wondering where you are? What about our parents, Sweetie Belle? Don’t you think that they’ll be worried when you don’t show up for dinner?”

“Same with Big Mac and Granny Smith,” added Applejack, looking at her sister. “They must be frantic lookin’ for ya.”

“We’re sorry,” said the two fillies in unison.

Applejack sighed. “Now what are we gonna do?” she asked.

“Well, I see no reason why they can’t stay,” said Twilight, much to their surprise.

“Really?” asked Rarity. “I mean, I thought that you would be mad, thinking that we are sneaking more ponies into the Republic.”

“To be honest, I’m angry at Donut for not doing a better job checking everypony’s bags,” admitted Twilight. “But, I can see that they didn’t mean any real harm. So, if it’s alright with the two of you, they can stay and spend some time with their friend.”

Both Applejack and Rarity exchanged a look for a second. They knew how crazy their little sisters could get. Right now, they were representing not just Ponyville, but all of Equestria. If something bad were to happen, then it would reflect poorly on them. But, on the other hoof, Twilight didn’t seem to mind. And, they did want to see a friend that had gone missing.

“Are ya sure it won’t be a bother?” asked Applejack.

Twilight nodded. “Trust me, it’ll be fine,” she replied. “Tell you what; I’ll arrange to have messages sent back to your families, telling them that your sisters are safe and sound with you. And, if anything goes wrong, we can just send them back down. How does that sound?”

“Well,” began Rarity with uncertainty in her voice. But then, she looked at her sister and Apple Bloom, who were giving her the biggest puppy dog pout that any filly could produce. Rarity had no chance against the intensity of this innocent look. “Ah, very well.”

“YAY!” shouted the two fillies together.

“Alright, then,” said Twilight with a smile. “Now that that’s all taken care of, we have to get going. I have a big day planned out. First, we are going to Dome Three to have lunch with one of the senators. After that, I thought we could go and see a play, before heading to Dome Five for some shopping.”

“Shopping!” squealed Rarity in delight. “Oh, I can’t wait to see the latest fashions here in the Republic. Or, maybe I can see if they have any scented bath salts. Or, a new, advanced conditioner.”

With Rarity rambling away, Twilight and the others began to move out the door. As they did, Spike moved close to Twilight, so that he could ask her all sorts of questions about being a unicorn.

-x-

Meanwhile, waiting near the Shield Corps’ barracks, were three stallions. One was a unicorn with an orange and white coat, a green mane, and green eyes. Next to him was a brown pegasus with a light blue mane. Finally, there was Poindexter.

“Alright, are we all ready?” asked Gaffer as Shining Armor walked towards his oldest friends. Out of his leather jacket, Shining was instead wearing a t-shirt that said ‘Hocus Pocus: The Get Together’. The same kind of shirt that Gaffer, 8-Bit, and Poindexter were wearing.

“You know I am,” said Shining Armor, stopping in front of them. “I’m just glad that everything calmed down at the castle. If it didn’t, I’d miss the tournament.”

“What happened?” asked 8-Bit. “Did something happen to Princess Luna? She is coming to judge, right?”

It was a well-known fact within the Republic that Princess Luna loved games. It didn’t matter if they were card, board, video, or even carnival. If it was a game, the Princess of the Moon (or Games as she was nicknamed) would be there. However, as a self-imposed rule, Princess Luna never participated in a tournament. She believed that some ponies might let her win, or would complain that she was getting special treatment.

So, instead, Luna had decided that she would simply judge tournaments when her schedule allowed. And, when she did, she usually gave a special treat to the winner. Like, for example, a kiss on the cheek for some lucky stallion or colt.

“Not this time,” said Shining as he shook his head. “She has to get ready for some big meeting between Equestria and the griffons. Seems like they want to get it done today.”

“That sucks,” moaned Gaffer as kicked the ground. “I was really looking forward to seeing her.”

“Does that mean you’re not going to enter?” asked Poindexter.

“What the buck do you think?” asked Gaffer. “Of course I am. Now come on, we have to get going before the admittance line gets too long.”

“No worries,” said Shining. “I got a-”

Shining’s voice trailed off as he saw a sight that caused him to freeze on the spot. Walking out of the castle was his sister followed by a group of mares. But, that wasn’t what caused him to freeze. It was the single purple unicorn colt that seemed to be talking to Twilight about something.

‘He looks a bit like Twilight,’ thought Shining Armor. ‘I mean, that fact that he’s purple and a unicorn. Could he be… No! I am not going down that line of thinking again! I did it once before and it blew up in my face.

It’s not like Twilight had a foal, and then used an age spell to make him older, so no pony would know. I mean, sure she knows age magic, but it’s not like she would really use it. Would she?’

At that moment, Shining’s friends began to notice a twitch in his right eye. For a moment, they wondered what was wrong, until they saw Twilight. Realizing what was going on, they all rolled their eyes.

“Shining,” said Gaffer, touching Shining Armor’s shoulder.

“Twily has been defiled!” yelled Shining Armor as he jumped six feet into the air.

“That’s what you said last year, when Twilight started foalsitting,” noted 8-Bit, pointing a hoof at the overprotective stallion. “You saw that one had the same mane stripe, and you jumped to the conclusion that Twilight had a foal and used an age spell to cover it up. You then grabbed Twilight and began demanding that she tell you who the father was, before crying that she didn’t trust you enough to tell you what was going on. In the end, she had to stop foalsitting, since she didn’t want to deal with that situation again.”

“Or, when she became a Lunar Trooper leader a few months after that,” said Poindexter. “I remember because we were on our way to see the Boldly Go movie, and we had dressed up like the aliens. You saw Twilight with a pegasus filly who had the same coat as her. You then ran right up to them, still in costume, and scared the poor filly into wetting herself. After that, Twilight had to quit being a Trooper leader. Are you seeing a pattern?”

“But,” started Shining as he looked at his younger sister.

“Guys,” said Gaffer, “we all know Shining isn’t going to be able to focus on anything until we get this out of his system. So, how about we just use the camera and the profile matching system to get an ID on the colt. Then, you can see that it’s just your overactive, and overprotective, imagination.”

“I guess that sounds good,” admitted Shining. Then, a thought came to mind causing his pupils to become the size of a pin needle. “But, what if she has already altered the data base?!”

His friends let out a collective groan.

-x-

Within the caves of the TOM, a ringing sound was heard signaling lunch. Tired, Sunset Shimmer set down her pickaxe for a moment, so that she could catch her breath for a moment. The first day of work had been hard, harder than anything she had ever done before this. What made it even worse was that she could no longer use her magic.

“Alright,” declared one of the guards, both of them walking behind her. “Time for lunch. Let’s get moving.”

Letting go of the pickaxe, Sunset let it fall to the ground as she walked towards the mess hall. Behind her, the two guards followed, not averting their gaze from her for even a moment. This would make her eventual escape more difficult.

Ever since she had heard about Twilight’s wedding, as well as her adopting Scootaloo, all Sunset could think about was how she was going to escape. With every swing of her pickaxe, Sunset’s mind had been busy coming up with every single method of leaving this hell hole. While she knew it wouldn’t be easy, it was still possible. Ponies in the Republic were used to having their criminals sentenced to prison pods, and not in forced labor on a TOM. As such, there was bound to be a few holes in her security.

The first was the magic suppression ring that was on her horn. It was an electronic device that created a barrier between her and her magic. She had studied these devices while trying to ruin Twilight’s life, so she knew there were only two ways to deactivate it. The first was if one of the guards used the remote. The other was if it sensed an emergency like a fire or meteor strike. That way the pony wearing the device could teleport out in order to save his or her life. However, once the emergency was over the device would reactivate.

If making an emergency situation was step one, the second step would be getting off the TOM. Three times a day, a shuttle came to pick up and drop off workers. This meant that her best shot at this would be when the shuttle has opened, and can’t leave.

Hopefully, her opportunity would come soon.

Author's Note:

Well, another good episode. It would have made a great Halloween episode but what can you do. The only problem I had with it was that we didn't get to find out more about Celestia's and Luna's past.

Hope you liked this chapter!

PreviousChapters Next