• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 754 Views, 336 Comments

Timed Ramblings - Midnight herald



A collection of speedfics from my dabblings in Thirty Minute Ponies. Stories do not share continuity unless otherwise marked.

  • ...
2
 336
 754

PreviousChapters Next
The Worst Kindness

Silence sat heavily between the two of them, punctuated only by the drips of lime-water from grimy cave roof. Not that FLuttershy minded silence, but this time the weight of it was pressing into her chest and stealing her breath. Finally, the Queen chuckled... a rusty, dried-out sound.

“You need my help? You need my help? That’s rich...” That raspy, grating laugh sounded again, trailing off into silence. Fluttershy shuffled her wings and looked around at the mossy limestone, unable to meet the Queen’s glinting green eyes. “Well, little pegasus? I’m listening,” The Queen snapped. Fluttershy jumped and snapped her head up to meet the queen head-on, eyes wide in panic. she forced a calming set of breaths and swallowed her quivering fear before looking at the floor and clearing her throat.

“It’s about the … the other pegasus there that day, Rainbow Dash... she’s killing herself slowly, all because of me. She could be anything, she could be the best flier, the most daring stuntmare... she could be great, but she’s letting it pass her by because she’s afraid I’ll be lonely. And I try to tell her to leave me, that I’ll be fine, and it’s true, I would be. But she won’t even listen to me anymore. She won’t leave for as long as she loves me, and it’s killing her.

“I can see it, too. She droops at work, and sometimes she gets so frustrated with me, when I get scared or sad or don’t want to see anypony. I can’t stand to see her so sad, but she won’t leave me. I just can’t let myself drag her down, not again. I’ve done too much of that over the years... but she just won’t leave!”

“That’s a sad story, little pegasus. But I don’t see what this has to do with me,” the Queen drawled, stretching her odd, perforated hooves.

Fluttershy took a bold step forward on trembling filly-legs and met the Queen’s eyes directly, a determined fire and steely resolve showing in her light blue eyes. “Your Highness... please, I need you to break her heart. She’ll never leave for as long as she loves me, so I need to break her heart. But I could never hurt her like that, so I need your help.”

An odd half-smile spread across the Queen’s dark lips, and she sniffed at Fluttershy gently, her elegant nostrils flaring slightly. “You love her,” she remarked. It was anything but a question. “Your world revolves around her. But you want me to become you, to hurt her.” Fluttershy nodded, biting the insides of her cheeks. Sharp, hot tears prickled unshed in her eyes. “She will hate you after this. You know that?”

“It... it needs to happen.”

“I very well may destroy her with this, to make her leave.”

“She needs that right now. You break a crooked bone so it will grow straight,” Fluttershy choked out.

“And what’s in it for me?” the Queen asked, leaning forward eagerly, her eyes glinting with some unknown emotion.

Flutthershy swallowed thickly and fidgeted nervously for a moment. “I … care for any creatures that need it,” she stammered. The adrenaline singing through her veins sent flittery shivers down her spine, made her aware of every drop of sweat trickling down her shoulderblades. “I ...love all creatures that need it. And you feed on ...love.” She barely forced the last word past her dry lips, which she promptly wetted with agitated flicks of her tongue.

“You would feed me and my hive,” the Queen murmured in wonder. She sat in pensive silence for a full five minutes, before giving that same mysterious not-quite-smile and clambering to her feet. “You would, little pegasus? Truly?”

Fluttershy nodded and stepped once more towards the Queen, nuzzling gently at her lank green mane. SHe let her compassion for the starving creature flow through easily, as easily as she would worry over Angel Bunny or a sick squirrel
TIME------------

The Queen sighed in satisfaction and leaned into the touch for a short time. She pulled away with great reluctance and headed for the mouth of the dingy cave. “Then we shall go to this Rainbow Dash, little pegasus. Lead the way.”

The late afternoon air was brighter than Fluttershy remembered, and the chill autumn breeze didn’t bite into her skin as badly as before. Everything is going so well, she reflected. Everything will be fine.

The superstitions that lurked in the dark corners of her mind stirred as if from sleep, and she cursed her optimism. She’d found throughout the years that good things never really lasted, and the moment she relaxed, they would be taken away. Oh please, oh, please, oh please she prayed, although she knew not to whom the prayer was directed, or for what exactly.

“Fluttershy? You out here?” Rainbow’s voice cut through the thick undergrowth. Not now, not here, no, no, no, she could hide from Rainbow, she could be so quiet that Rainbow wouldn’t even notice her, would go home...

“C’mon, ‘Shy, We’re all worried for ya,” Applejack bellowed. This was just getting worse and worse.

“Fluttershy? This section of the Everfree is dangerous,” Twilight called out, her concern clear from her wavering voice. Twilight. That explained how they’d found her in the first place. That searching spell she’d developed was useful, but right now it was the worst thing imaginable. Likely all five of them were out here, looking for her. SHe glanced at the Queen, who looked strained, exhausted, broken. Probably unable to change her form at the moment. Fluttershy weighed her (terrible) options and planted her feet firmly in the ground.

“Your Highness, get behind me. Now.”

Author's Note:

Prompt 269: Why were we there back to back?

This was a fun one, for sure. Once again, the idea caught me up and wouldn't let me go.

PreviousChapters Next