• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,886 Views, 20 Comments

A New Begining - Emeris Moonglade



The main six descover a new species known as humans.

  • ...
9
 20
 2,886

Preparations

Chapter 8: Preparations

“WHAT!” Applejack screamed. “Yer the reason mah barns a pile of ash?” She was on his chest, keeping him from getting up, though he didn’t mind. He deserved it; he deserved everything that was coming to him. “Ya almost burned down mah entire farm, and ya split it clean down the middle. Who do ya think ya are?”

“Someone who doesn’t deserve ta live,” he answered.

“Now what do you mean by that?” asked Rainbow as she flew over beside AJ.

“Ya wouldn’t understand even if ah could tell ya.” His voice was filled with sorrow and guilt, pain and longing. “You’d have ta have been there.”

“We’d have to have been there?” Twilight chimed in. “Well, why not?”

“Twilight dear, please just tell us in a way we can all understand.” Rarity complained. She was sitting in the shade of the porch with a glass of apple juice. “We’re not you, therefore we have no clue what you are talking about.”

“Oh, sorry Rarity.” She cleared her throat. “Well, me and Princess Celestia have been talking about dream walking, it’s when you enter other ponies dreams and see what they’re dreaming about. I suppose it could work for memories as well.” John’s eyes widened at that.

“Is it safe?” AJ hopped off of John’s chest.

“Well, it’s never been tested if that’s what you mean?”

“Ok.” AJ said slowly. “Want somepony ta get Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie?”

“I’ll get them!” announced Rainbow, and she took off before anypony could object. John stared after her, still lying on the ground. He sighed then got up onto his feet.

“I’ll write to the Princess so she knows we’re coming.” She left then too. Rarity saw the opportunity.

“John, when your done here would you mind meeting me at my boutique.” She was holding back excitement. “I have a little surprise for you.”

“Ya really think ah deserve it?” his voice was emotionless, which Rarity still hadn’t gotten quit used to yet.

“Of course deary, and don’t worry, all you have to do is ask around if you can’t find me.” She left him alone with Applejack, who was still furious with her barn being destroyed. She didn’t even want to look at him. All she did was stare at the scattering ashes of her barn.

“Why’d ya do it?” she asked. “What caused ya ta go and destroy half of Equestria?” John gulped.

“Ah was attacked by someone called Luna.” He sat down on the steps of the porch. “Ah was defendin’ mahself and it got a little out of control.”

“A little!” she stamped her hoof. “Does this look like a ‘little’ ta ya?”

“Ha, well ya haven’t seen the half of it.” his voice was mocking, but he believed what he said, and that told Applejack otherwise.

“So what exactly are ya?” she asked, coming over to sit beside him. “Ah mean, from what little ya told us of humans, ya never mentioned this.”

“Ah don’t know.” He sighed. “Ah only know what ah’m capable of, and ah guess that’s all ah need ta know.” He started rubbing his palms with his thumbs. “Ah...ah just don’t know anymore. Ah tried ta hide it, tried ta keep mahself from usin’ it, but it always finds me. Even here.” Dark sparks danced above his hands, then winked out as suddenly as they had appeared. AJ’s eyes widened in amazement. She had not seen a creature other than a unicorn who could work magic.

“What was that ya were doin’ right there?”

“That was the actual magic, ah just made it visible fer ya ta see.” This time he flicked his finger and a spark of pure darkness shot from it, then exploded in the air like a firework.

“That’s pretty nifty. Pinkie Pie’s gonna start askin’ ya ta help with parties when she sees that.” She looked over to her barn then back at him and asked hopefully. “Do ya have anythin’ that’ll help with this mess?” With that the wind started blowing, the black ash slowly sliding away with it until there was nothing left, then the ground shook and the deep crevice marking the land closed up as if there was nothing there. “Wow.”

“Yup, though sometimes it gets out of control, kinda like what ya experienced a while back.” He tried to smile but it didn’t come. She looked at him differently. He wasn’t evil; he was just as scared as if he was new to it too. “Do ya...um...do ya wanna come into town with me? Since yer needin’ ta go anyways.” John looked at her and smiled.

“Sure, why not?” AJ rushed into the house to tell his brother that she was leaving and grabbed bed her saddle bag. Then, together, they headed off toward Ponyville.

~*~*~*~*~

Hooves and boots clomped along the stone bridge leading to Ponyville. A small, shallow stream, housing some frogs, fish, and dragonflies loomed beneath it. The sun beams glistened off its smooth surface. The only thing disturbing the quiet at that moment was the laughter of AJ and John.

“Ah don’t get it.” AJ wheezed between a laugh. “What’s so funny.”

“Ya aught ta know, yer laughin’ too.” He held his stomach.

“Ah’m only laughin’ because yer laughin’. Ah was only talkin’ ‘bout buckin’ apple trees.” John laughed even harder.

“Ya also said ya were gonna buck them all night.” He collapsed to the stony ground below. “Oh my gosh. Hahaha.”

“Oh, yer so immature.”

“And yer the one who just barely got it.” After one last laughing fit he got up and dusted his pants off. “Now ah needed that, ah haven’t laughed in years. Well, which way ta Rarity’s boutique?” Applejack took the lead, she lead them down the main street, straight toward the center of town. Along the sides of the street, ponies bustled with activity. Shops were set up under colorful awning, ponies of all ages, color, and sizes were scuffling between each. More than once ponies had stopped dead in their tracks to point and stare at him, but none screamed or ran in panic. That, most of all surprised John. He would have thought for sure he would have started a riot.

Further on accompanied by staring and inaudible comments, they came upon a large, decorated building. Miniature spires kept the awning from crashing down, window circled the marvel on every floor. A purple and white dome topped of the building, giving it the look of a palace.

“This is the place.” AJ said. “Ah’ll be at the market if ya need me.” She turned and trotted off into the crowd. He entered through the glass, double-doors.

“Who is it!” shouted Rarity from the other end of the shop.

“It’s me!” John shouted back and in an instant, Rarity was standing in front of him, a wide smile beaming across his face. That smile worried him.

“Oh, you’re just in time. Follow me.” He followed and she lead him to a platform in the middle of the building, surrounded with mirrors and sewing materials. “Please stand on here.”

“Shit.” John knew what this was, and he didn’t like it.

“Ok John, you could use some new garments and you can’t go and meet royalty looking like that.” She pointed at the torn, bloodstained clothes he was wearing. “I’m going to make you something magnificent, something that’ll make the goddesses awestruck.”

“Hopefully nothin’ too fancy, close ta what ah’m wearin’ now.” Rarity was in shock. “All ah really need are these clothes fixed up.”

“Y-You mean, you don’t want anything spectacular?” she squeaked. “You don’t want to look nice when you meet the Princesses?” she fell to her haunches.

“To me, this is considered acceptable wear, well without the rips and stuff. Plus ah’ve been in the company of some pretty powerful people lookin’ the way ah do.”

“Well, ok, I guess I can make you look fancy with what your wearing now.” She paced around him. “Now let’s see.” The pacing lasted several minutes until finally. “Idea!” she sang, and in an instant she was gone. Then she was back, with many different materials grasped in her magical hold. “Now John, this shouldn’t take too long, so hang tight.” He took a deep breath, then sighed. This gave him some time to process everything that had been going on for the past few days. The sudden appearance of ponies, the Everfree, the diamond dogs, him using his powers, the princess of the night in an abandoned castle. There was so much that had happened. He eventually closed his eyes and drifted off into thought, leaving Rarity to cut and sew his new clothes.

~*~*~*~*~

“Done!” the sudden outburst from Rarity jolted John to awaken immediately. He was still standing, surprisingly, and he was wearing new clothes. “Tada. How do you like them?” He was wearing black leather lace up boot tucked underneath dark blue jean pants. On his upper half he wore a solid black turtle neck, which was quit soft and warm, with a leather jacket, it looked like something out of a magazine.

“Wow, where’d ya find the ideas ta make these? It’s just like what humans used to wear.” Rarity’s cheeks turned a deep crimson as she replied.

“I may have snooped through your things while AJ had you pined. You had a magazine in your bag, and I had a little look.” She blushed even more deeply.

“Well, thank ya one fer tellin’ the truth, and two, fer makin’ me some new clothes. They really are quit somethin’.” Rarity gave him a sidewise look.

“But darling, they’re magnificent.” She put emphasis on the sentence.

“They’re that too Rarity, it’s just ah wasn’t expectin’ this. Ya truly surprised me with this one.” He hopped down off of the platform. The clothes were certainly comfortable enough. There was absolutely nothing wrong with them. He hopped down off the platform. “Ah don’t know how ta thank ya.”

“There is no need to thank me darling. They’re a gift. Now, I suggest you get your flank over to Twilight’s so you know what’s going on with your visit to the Princess.” She ushered him out the door into the crowd outside. “I’ll be seeing you soon ok.” She waved her hoof and he waved back. The crowd of ponies around him stared with awe at him. It was a little overwhelming at first, being surrounded by so many ponies, but soon they got used to him, and he got used to them. He was part of the crowd, more or less. They went back to doing whatever they were doing at the time and left him alone.

It was a beautiful day, the sun shone like a crystal sphere in the sky. Ponies everywhere basked in its warm radiant glow. Fillies laughed and played. It was strange being in a town where everything was alright. There wasn’t any bad except for line cutting and teasing on occasion. He was walking in the perfect town, in a perfect world.

Walking where there were other living breathing creatures around was just what he needed. Strolling down the cobblestone street while work ponies repaired roofs and pegasus cleared the sky of any clouds. It was amazing. The fresh air was a great stress relief too. Never had he breathed air so clear and clean. Especially after being used to breathing smog and ash all year round.

His brow rose after his gaze swept across a large tree growing in the middle of town. Though, it didn’t only seem to be a tree, it had windows, flower boxes, a door, and balcony. He strode across the empty court yard leading to the building. He rapped on the purple door. It seemed in excellent condition and was just a little shorter than he was. Pony sized.

“Who is it?” called a voice from the other side, followed by a crashing of something heavy.

“It’s me.” The door glowed with purple and opened inward, revealing to him the hollowed out center of the tree. Books lined every shelf, and many were scattered along the ground. John peeked his head in, then the rest of his body followed. The door closed behind him and the purple hue was gone. “Hello, Twi?” he called, his voice seemed to echo throughout the place as if it were a cavern.

“Be there in a minute John, just finishing up a few thing.” Twilight sounded as if she were struggling.

“Do ya need any help?”

“No...it’s just...” there was another crash. “...yes please...” John followed the noise up a flight of stairs leading to what looked to him like an inside balcony. There was two of them, and wooden railings made sure you wouldn’t fall to the ground below.

“So, what do ya need mah help with?” his eyes bulged, nearly out of their sockets. “That is a big telescope.”

“Ya, you think. I need some help assembling it.” Twilight popped out of a pile of parts lying next to a large cardboard box. “It’s just too heavy for me to lift, even with magic.”

“Well, what do ya need lifted.” She pointed to a round, cylindrical tube with lenses on both sides.

“I need you to lift this on to the platform while I screw in the braces. Think you can do that.” He nodded his head then walked over the telescope. Wrapping his arms around the body of it, he lifted with his legs. With the telescope in muscular arms, John carefully placed it onto the platform and held it steady, while Twilight added a few braces and many screws. “Ok, that should be it. Thank you a whole bunch.”

“No prob.” He examined the telescope, it was large, and heavy. But, why would a librarian need such a contraption? He dismissed the thought. “So, not ta be a bother or anythin’, but have ya contacted the Princess yet?”

“Oh, yes. She wants to meet you tomorrow. She’ll send a carriage at noon.” She trotted over the her telescope and pressed her eye against the lens, and a smile spread across her face. “This is perfect. It’s not even dark and I can see Ursa Major and Minor.” She hopped around with excitement. “Oh, excuse me, it’s just that I’ve been waiting for this package for a long time.”

“It’s not a problem, go ahead and be excited. It’s yer home anyways.” He walked over and set down on a small bench against the wall. “So, tomorrow. Um, ya said ya had and extra room right?”

“Oh yes, just through that door over there.” He looked at where her hoof was pointing beside him. It was yet again, another purple door. Well, ah can see why she would like purple considerin’ she is purple.

“May ah?”

“Of course, it’s your room until Princess Celestia can come up with something else.” He would have tipped his hat if he had it, so instead he tipped his head showing his thanks.

“Well, see ya tomorrow. It’s time fer me ta hit the hay and catch up on days of sleep ah missed.” He opened the door and paused. “Goodnight.” And he left, not to be seen again until the next day.