• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,886 Views, 20 Comments

A New Begining - Emeris Moonglade



The main six descover a new species known as humans.

  • ...
9
 20
 2,886

Waiting

Chapter 12: Waiting

The sun shone brilliantly through the coffee shop windows. Everypony bustled around with leisure; they had no clue what was coming. Neither did the seven friends want them to spend what might be the rest of their days worrying. The seven of them sat around a slick, shiny round table. John thrummed his fingers on the lid of the box, while the remaining six stared down into their coco. The silence was unbearable. They may die any moment now and they were sitting around moping. He may not deserve the pleasure of life, but that doesn’t mean these ponies didn’t. His other hand squeezed his cup of coffee. His knuckles turned white. AJ looked up at him and rose her brow. Then the glass shattered, steaming hot coffee spilled everywhere. As the steaming substance spread across the table the ponies jumped in fright.

John stood up, glared at every one of the six ponies, then stormed off out the door with the jewelry box in hand. All the costumers gawked at him, then after he closed door, they looked at the mane six. Slowly everypony continued on with what they were doing. Applejack and Fluttershy exchanged worried glances. One by one the six of them filed out of the cafe.

“What was that?” Rainbow blurted out as she looked around for John. “And that look he gave us, what was that for?”

“Now where in Celestia’s name did he run off to?” Rarity asked as she too searched for him.

“Something isn’t right.” Twilight stated, “First he’s sucked into a completely different world, then he’s forced to reveal the secrets he tried so hard to keep. And to top it all off, his enemy is here to either kill him or us.”

“It does sound rather...depressing.” said Fluttershy. She fluttered over their heads, looking for John.

“Let’s split up and see if we can find him.” AJ took off down one of the pony filled streets. The others headed off in their own directions. Rainbow and Fluttershy took to the skies. Rarity and Twilight galloped opposite directions. Finally Pinkie, she did what she did best.

“Yay!” she shouted, drawing attention from a few ponies walking by. “First one to find John wins.” She laughed hysterically then bounced off down one of the streets.

~*~*~*~*~

Somethin’ must be up. AJ rounded a corner, her eyes darted everywhere; searching for her tall friend. Ah mean, he wasn’t like this before. Now all of a sudden he’s all emotional. She turned another corner, this time nearly toppling over a mare with her shopping basket. Com’on John, where’d ya go? One last turn lead Applejack to the palace gardens. Two of the royal guards stood watch on either side of the massive iron gate. They stood firm and steady, never taking their eyes off of the unseen object in front of them.

“Did ya happen ta see a feller on two legs pass by?” she asked them. The pegasus on the left, his golden armor gleaming in the noonday sun, pointed with his wing inside the garden. “Thank ya.” She tipped her hat and sped through the gate. Why in the wide world of Equestria, would John come here?

~*~*~*~*~

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow shouted, “Do see him?” Sweat dripped from her forehead. The two of them had flown all over the city, but still no sign of John.

“No, I’m sorry.” Fluttershy tipped her head down toward the ground in disappointment. “Wait, where’s AJ going?” She pointed a yellow hoof down at the palace gardens. Rainbow flew up beside her.

“Well, she’s not going to get to him before me. Fluttershy, you go find the others and tell them to meet us at the gardens.” She bolted off in the direction AJ was heading.

“Oh dear.” Fluttershy said, and she too, fluttered off to look for her friends.

~*~*~*~*~

Where is he, where is he? There! AJ spotted John sitting on one of the garden benches. His eyes were closed; he seemed to be enjoying himself. A peaceful smile rested on his lip, he was drowned in the sound of chirping birds and rustling leaves. The jewelry box sat atop his lap, unopened and undisturbed.

AJ slowed down, her hooves clomped softy on the cobblestone path. She walked up to him then stood there and stared at him. He hadn’t moved or even acknowledged her yet. She cleared her throat, then his smile vanished.

“Yes Applejack?” he opened his eyes, and stared back. There was a moment of silence, then Applejack spoke.

“Why’d ya storm off like that?” she sat down in front of him. “We were just enjoyin’ a cup of coffee. What happened?” John shifted in his seat.

“Ya weren’t enjoyin’ yer coco. Ya’ll were mopin’ and just sat there.” He said. “Ah’d rather ya’ll go and enjoy the rest of yer time. Go...visit loved one. Go enjoy yerselves.” AJ smacked a small stone with her hoof and watched it skid and hit a tree. “Don’t worry, ah’ll come get ya when ah think it’s time.”

“Ya, and what ‘bout ya?” she stood up, “Here ya are talkin’ ‘bout bein’ happy, and ya won’t go out and enjoy yerself.” AJ became very cold. Memories of her visiting John’s past popped into her head. She sank to her haunches. “Oh, ya can’t can ya?” he shook his head. “Ya don’t have a family ta spend yer time with.” Her head dropped and she stared at her hooves. “Well, how ‘bout ya come down ta the farm and spend some time with mah family.” John’s brow ached. “Ya, we’ll take a carriage right now and head on down ta Sweat Apple Acres.”

“Are ya sure?” he asked.

“Ya ah’m sure, com’on.” She grabbed his hand and pulled him up. “Ya can’t spend the rest of yer life by yerself.” John smiled.

“Ya know, ah was enjoyin’ mahself.” AJ stopped pulling on John.

“Run that by me again.”

“Ah’ve spent ten years living in a world without color or life. This is actually the only time ah’ve been able to stop and enjoy it.” He sighed. “Ah never thought ah’d see it again.” They sat there, engulfed in silence, until they were disturbed by a loud crack, a thump and an “Ow!!” They looked over to see where the noise had come from. Sitting there, rubbing her temple, was Rainbow Dash. Then following soon after was a panting Fluttershy.

“Rainbow, I found them. They’re on their way.” She spoke, “Oh dear, Rainbow, are you ok?”

“Ya, I’m fine.” She groaned and hopped up to her hooves. She gawked at Applejack. “You beat me to him? I was suppose to get to him first.” She reared up her hind legs then bucked the tree in frustration, then a shower of leaves fell to the ground.

“Well sorry Rainbow, I didn’t know we were racin’. And if ah would have known that, ah would have actually tried ta beat ya.” She chuckled and Rainbow frowned and looked away. “Now, if ya don’t mind, me and John are enjoyin’ the time we have left.” Rainbow raised a brow in complete confusion.

“Your just going to sit here and enjoy yourselves, when the world is going to end?” The two of them nodded their heads.

“Rainbow,” John explained. “we have all that we know of to fight Arak’arahm. The most we can do now is enjoy the time we have left.” He sat back down on the small wooden bench and watched a Blue Jay fly by. He smiled.

“Oh! Here come Twilight and Rarity!” Fluttershy shouted, or as much as a shout as she could manage. She scooted out of the path to let the two unicorns through. They panted heavily from their long run.

“We were...clear on the...other side of the...city.” Twilight said between breaths of air. “Pinkie Pie saw a party and decided it would be fun to join. So, that should keep her occupied.” Applejack grimaced and glanced over to John. Seeing this action, Rarity stepped forward.

“Is there something you would like to share with us you two?” She tried to keep the anger from her voice. Running all over Canterlot was tiring, and she wasn’t in the mood for pettish games.

“Well, Pinkies happy. Ah guess that’s three down.”

“Whatever to you mean AJ?” She wiped a strand of purple mane from her forehead. “I’m extremely exhausted and would like a cup of tea. So if you don’t mind explaining.”

“What’s the point of mopin’ fer what might be yer last hours when ya can enjoy them instead?” John stated smoothly. His fingers caressed the imprinted design on the jewelry box. The look of confusion was plain as day on the two unicorns’ faces. John chuckled deeply at their looks. He stared back up to the sky, then frowned. Flocks of birds flew overhead like a streaking rainbow. The squawks were deafening.

“Rainbow, go get Pinkie Pie. Drag her here if ya have ta.” Rainbow Dash dashed off through the trees toward the city. John glared at the direction the birds were coming from. His frown turned into a scowl and his teeth lengthened and sharpened in an instant.

“John, what’s goin’ on?” AJ asked, though she already knew the answer.

“Woohoo!!” came a shout that overpowered the squawks above. Rainbow came barreling over the trees, bearing Pinkie Pie on her back.

“Found her!” She shouted, “Wasn’t that hard to find. All you had to do was look for the biggest and loudest party.” Her grin was nearly as wide as Pinkie’s, but vanished as soon as it had appeared. “Is it time?” Pinkie hopped off her back and Rainbow came to hover next to John. There was a flash of light beside the group, and standing in the middle was Princess Luna.

“John!” she spoke. “There something going on North of here.” Looking closer showed her that he in fact knew exactly what was going on. “Is it time?” she asked. She shifted from side to side with nervousness. The ground shook violently underneath them, causing the ponies to fall down. Except for John, he stood stalk still, never moving. He was the prey no longer. He was now...the hunter.