• Published 27th Jan 2012
  • 2,886 Views, 20 Comments

A New Begining - Emeris Moonglade



The main six descover a new species known as humans.

  • ...
9
 20
 2,886

Unraveling the Mystery

Chapter 6: Unraveling the Mystery

“What?” Twilight asked in disbelief, “You actually saw him do that?” They were walking down the dirt road. Twilight stared straight ahead, looking at nothing in particular. “H-He was able to break the old spells?” She couldn’t fathom the fact there was a being, superior to her mentor in the art of magic. The power it would take, to not only disable, but to destroy altogether was incomprehensible.

“Ya, that’s what I saw.” Rainbow said annoyed. “That’s what I’ve been telling you. He blew up the enchantment thingy with black magic type stuff. He looked a lot like Nightmare Moon with all the blackness and stuff.” Twilight didn’t seem to be listening, she was too caught up in her own thoughts to hear, or care about anything Rainbow was saying. “Twilight!” She jumped, Rarity even looked back to see what all the commotion was about.

“W-What?” Twilight looked around startled. “Oh, Rainbow. Sorry, I was just thinking about...” she trailed off. Rainbow face-hoofed herself. Get Twilight caught up in a mystery, she’s bound to try to solve it.

“I wonder...” Rarity began, “what else he can do?” she slowed down so she was next to Twilight. “If his powers rival those of the princess herself, he could very well match to powers of the Elements, or surpass them as well. He is from a different world. Twilight dear?” Twilight was still deep in thought.

“I swear there was something like this, but I just can’t remember where.” Twilight seemed to be talking to herself.

“Well, you’re not going to remember out here. We still have a day’s journey ahead of us.” Rarity trotted to the head of the group. “So I suggest we pick up the pace if we’re to go get clean.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Who are you!?” John demanded, his stance displaying he was ready for whatever this newcomer had in store for him. “Hey, ah asked you a question.” He held his sword ready. “Now!”

“Thou dares challenge me!?” the alicorns voice boomed across the empty halls, knocking loose mortar and a few torches. “It is me who should be asking thee such questions, and demanding thee answer!” John covered his ears, he hadn’t expected that.

“So, ya wanna play loud?” The alicorn looked at him confused. “Well, HOW’S THIS!!?” His voice overpowered the alicorns. It sent her sprawling across the ground from the sheer force. Part of the ceiling collapsed. She stood up, dust and dirt drifted from of her midnight blue coat.

“Thou is not allowed to use the Canterlotian voice!!” she stared at him, eyes flaring in rage. “Only royalty has the right to use it!”

“Well, maybe ah am royalty.” He said mockingly.

“Oh, are thou now? Well, thou doesn’t look like an alicorn to me.” She grimaced, “In fact, thou doesn’t look like any creature I have set eyes on. Tell me, what creature is thou?” Her rage waned as curiosity grew stronger.

“Human.” Was all John said. His eyes shifted over toward an exit to his right. A small opening leading to another room. The alicorn tapped her chin with a hoof thoughtfully. Though the strange being may have let her guard down, John wasn’t about to do the same.

“A human?” She sounded surprised. Her eyes widened and she stared at him as if she never had before. “Thou is a human?”

“Ya, ah’m a human.” He answered, “Now, enough with the ‘thees’ and ‘thous’ already, talk normal.”

“Thou dares to command me?” she was offended, her horn glowed with renewed rage. “Thou shall suffer for what thou has done!” she said brusquely in her stentorian voice. Her horn grew brighter and brighter, filling the room with a violet hue, the color dancing across the grey, cracked stone walls of the hallway. The serene violet hues were strange against the rage in the alicorns eye’s. It must have been something I said.

Finding that his sword was useless, he sheathed it. It made a metallic zing as it slid into place. He was going to have to fight fire with fire, or darkness with darkness. He really hadn’t classified his abilities yet, he was too busy trying to deny them. The same inky blackness had appeared before crept up his arms again, it spread until his body was covered. This was as far as he had let it go since that day. .

The area around him seemed to distort, pulling in all the darkness around him. Wispy black tendrils of smoke drifted off his being like a blown out candle. His ebony eyes reflected little light. It felt so good, the power. It permeated him, it made him feel alive. He wanted more, but there was still some part of himself that remembered, remembered what had happened the last time.

“NO!” he yelled, “NO!!” he wouldn’t let it consume him again, he had to fight it. Though the energy that had already passed into him could not be sent back, it had to be let out. By now, the alicorn was backing away from him, she had realized through her indignation just what was going on. She stared at him, eyes wide with fear. She was muttering something inaudible to herself.

“Must...release.” he spoke through clenched teeth. At that moment the ground began to shake ferociously, several loose bricks and doors clattered to the ground, lightning struck blazed across the clear blue sky. He had never gone this far before. “Ya need ta...get out.” He spoke, his throat felt like charcoal. Like he hadn’t drank water in years.

A ring of fire circled the castle, almost instantly the glass began to melt into nothing, however the extreme heat wasn’t bothering the alicorn. He had to release the energy faster, so as not to cause more destruction, and not to take another life. A single tear trickled down his cheek as he glanced at the frightened being, cowering in the corner.

~*~*~*~*~

“What in tarnations!” Applejack was sitting on her balcony. The sun was high in the sky, not a cloud in sight, yet, why was there thunder? She looked around and saw flashes of lights coming from above the Everfree, and that’s when it hit. The ground began to shake. It knocked Applejack to the ground. “What the hay!”

“Applejack?” called a worried voice from inside. “W-What’s goin’ on?”

“Stay inside sugar, get under somethin’ so ya don’t get hurt. The tremors turned into full on quakes, splitting the apple orchard clean in half. Lightning and thunder echoed more loudly as they got closer and closer. Applejack glanced at the Everfree. “Oh Twi, stay alive.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Woohoo!” Pinkie shouted. She was hopping around Sugar Cube Corner while Mr. and Mrs. Cake were huddled with their two fouls under the table. Several boxes of desserts splattered to the floor. Many of the windows were broken and the store was a wreck. “Party!”

“Pinkie!” yelled Mrs. Cake, “Get under here now!” her face was a mixture of worry and anger. The town seemed as if it were going to fall apart over them and Pinkie was acting as if it was Hearths Warming Eve. She ignored them and continued bouncing around. All Mrs. Cake could hope was that Pinkie didn’t get to badly hurt.

~*~*~*~*~

“Angle bunny!” A mellifluous voice called out no louder than a loud whisper. “Angle bunny, where are you?” Fluttershy frantically searched throughout her cottage. “Eeeeek!” she screamed, hiding under a table as another bolt of lightning arched across the sky. The deafening thunder shook her home, sending many pictures crashing to the floor. “Oh my, oh my. Angle bunny!”

The couch flipped over as another bolt of lightning struck, this time not far from her house. There, sitting where the couch had been, was a small white rabbit. It clutched a half eaten carrot. “Oh, Angle!” Fluttershy darted from her hiding spot and scooped up her furry friend. “We need to get somewhere safe.” Angle just rolled his eyes at her as if she were over reacting. She galloped to brown wooden door then opened it using her free hoof, revealing a flight of stairs leading down a dark passageway. Without hesitation, she rushed down the stairs and stayed.

~*~*~*~*~

The trio galloped as fast as they could down the narrow path. “Com’on, we need to get out of here!” Rainbow shouted as she led the way. An abundance of trees had fallen, leaving many obstacles for the ponies to either hop over or detour around.

“Do you think it might be John!” Twilight shouted over the booming thunder. Her hair was a matted mess as was Rarity’s, who, considering the situation, fussed about it as they ran for their lives.

“Let’s figure that out after we get back to AJ’s, ok?” Rainbow said. Twilight nodded, wiping away the strands of hair sticking to her forehead. “Now, we take this path all the way to Froggy Bottom Bog, then it’s easy sailin’ from there on out.”

Another bolt of lightning flamed over their heads. It had to be something magical, there were no clouds in the sky and the sun still shone high in the sky. It doesn’t make sense. Reluctantly Twilight pressed on, they needed to get out of here. From what she could tell, the epicenter of the chaos was not far from where they were. Only a few more hours of this pace and they should be at the bog. Just a little further.