• Published 9th Feb 2013
  • 1,171 Views, 33 Comments

Similar and Different: My Days as Ditzy - house932



On a normal Thursday, I wake up as a pony. I personally blame Discord, because this is his style.

  • ...
4
 33
 1,171

This Town is the Bomb

It took only to Florence (Y’all) for me to realize that neither of us has any idea where we were going, and so I landed us on the roof of a McDonald’s and booted up Santorini. Connecting to the free wifi, YouTube notified me of a reply! That...was fairly quick, but I’ll take what I can get. It read ‘I’ve set up a meet up with Derpy and Octavia, We’re going to meet in Tennessee. I’ll be using a signal to let you all know where I am, hope you see it, being a Pegasus should help.’

That narrows it down plenty...

Tennessee can’t be that big. Right?

Wrong. It’s 160 miles across on the narrow direction. However, him coming from Georgia helps...

Wait, he’s meeting Derpy! Let’s get going!

We still have no idea where he is... or will be...

Don’t worry, we’ll find him! Now, to Adventure! Yes, she thought that word capitalized. No, I have no idea how. Without me realizing, she had shut off Santorini and taken to the air once more.

***

Three or so hours later, after flying over about a hundred miles of forest, (Somepony lost the Interstate...)we came upon a small town in the forest. Looking at it, it really wasn’t that small, but not very big either. Flying down the main street towards the center of town, some places stuck out, mainly the Office of Scientific and Technical Information and the Social Security Administration buildings.

I feel like I should know this town... But I’ve never been here...

Strange... Ditzy took control of the head and looked at the nearest street sign.

Its street was Lafayette Drive. Looking to the other one on the pole, it was Oak Ridge Parkway.

Oak Ridge... You might want to land. Now.

Why? She thankfully did anyway, because I wouldn’t want my reaction to pull us down from the air. My reaction was fairly embarrassing at best.

A good twenty times saying “Oh my god I’m in Oak Ridge” later, we came to the joint decision that a spot of food would not go amiss. Luckily, there was a Panera nearby.

Floating over to it, Ditzy asked a question. What’s so significant about Oak Ridge? We ordered a blueberry muffin, which I balanced on our head when the person behind the counter gave it to us.

It’s where the Manhattan Project was based. I felt a sadness on the other side, which I met with mental hugs. It’s also where a whole bunch of science is located. Ditzy seemed a bit happier with mindhugs, and I used some of that science to connect to the internet and check Facebook.

Nothing had happened.

Why was I expecting something to happen?

I don't know... anything around here you want to do? Anything she could do could not stop the grin.

A bit of background: Oak Ridge has the American Museum of Science and Energy. I like science and museums, especially when they're combined. Ditzy knows this now. I'm still not quite sure how she missed it...

***

After a fun few hours in the museum, Ditzy and I checked into a hotel and had an uneventful night's sleep. After, we went to a Subway, got a vegetarian sub, ate it, and hung out for a few hours, talking to people and obliging the occasional little kid who wanted a pony hug. After a few hours of this, a Facebook message popped up.

It said: 'The Master's looking for a grey Pegasus mare in a Golden Corral near Nashville. Might you be her?'

Oh crap! Nashville! We have to go now!

Is it far?

About 150 miles, and we don't want to leave him waiting...

Okay. We will make it there. We will walk outside and fly fast. Very fast.

"Sorry, people, but I have to go. Hope to see you again!"

To the collective disappointment of the Subway in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, I walked out and took to the sky.

***

About an hour later and panting, wings hurting a lot, we settled on the roof of a Golden Corral. That’s when I heard it: the noise that makes you bleed. Immediately, much to Ditzy’s protest, I sat down, curled up, and cried me a River. A few minutes later, I heard a voice.

“Excuse me,” I heard. “Who are you?” I vaguely recognized the voice. It had a slight English accent. It kind of sounded like the type to wear a gas mask because of the gas.

I don’t think he’s talking to us...

Even if he’s not, might as well hop down and say hi... Instead, I continued the reference.

“Two by two, hands of blue.”.Firefly references don’t get handed to you, ya know. And besides, if they really are here... Yes, I realize that was a bad idea.

“I’m sorry, what are you talking about?” A sound like a pony using a ladder was heard, followed by a crunching sound. I looked up at the source of said noise to find a blue stallion in a bow tie.

“Sorry about that, just making a reference.” I’ll be first to admit that it was a bad idea.

“You look scared, are you alright?”

“Mostly. I thought Discord brought in my least favorite element of Firefly.”

“Firefly...” He thought for a second, his coat making me glad for mine. “Oh, the television show, I remember that, but the idea escapes me, what exactly are you afraid of?”

“The noise that makes you bleed.”

Yikes. That’s just scary any way you think about it.

I know. That’s why it’s my least favorite part of the show.

“I thought I heard it.” After our quick consensus, that was all I could say.

“Oh...” He looked a bit... I don’t quite know. “that...”

“Is everyone okay!?”

“For the most part, yes.” He pointed to the left side of his face, where a decent gash resided. “Only myself and my attacker were harmed.”

“Lemme guess. Your attacker had blue gloves on.”

“Actually...” A pause. Uh-oh. “The sound was from me.” I subtly looked down and surprise, surprise, his hooves were blue. “The man had a butterfly knife, and those things are bloody sharp.” Then I pieced it together.

“Would you happen to be The Master?”

“Yes, but please, just call me Shane.”

Oh, another split one!

“And that would make you either Derpy or Ditzy, correct?”

Bear with me on this...

With what?

I’m proving we’re split.

“Yes. I’m Ditzy, with Chris riding in the back.”

I am not!... Oh, that’s how you were proving it. Well, I might as well play along...

“Hey! I am not riding in the back!” The timepony looked me over.

“Oh, well that’s interesting... You have conflicting control?”

“We generally agree. Definitely conflict some of the time, though.”

“Huh, well, would you like to go inside? It’s pretty cold out here.”

“It is, isn’t it?”

Did you notice?

Pegasi generally don’t.

“Well, cold resistance and coats help mask that...”

“Lucky you, all I got is this bowtie that’s bigger on the inside.”

Time lord all the way...

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to sit still while they measure your wings? It was hard enough to do so without the fact that they’re highly personal.” Ditzy apparently does not like being measured. I can’t say I blame her.

“Well, I don’t know about the wing part, but getting my suit made for the elect-” Oh, right, he’s been turned into The Master. As in, the former Prime Minister.

“Did you have a compulsion to fly around?” Ditzy really dislikes being measured.

“Well, I’ve always wanted to, but that’s about it.”

“I’m talking a literal compulsion.” Ditzy decided to hop off the roof, flaring our wings to break the fall.

That was fun!

Shane looked over the side, apparently happy for my continued existence, and came down the ladder. “So, you need to fly?”

“It feels like it sometimes.”

“Well I suggest you come inside, at least get something to eat, you must be famished.”

“Food does sound good. I haven’t had any real food since Myra’s.”

NO, MUFFINS DO NOT COUNT.

I wasn’t gonna...

“Myra’s? I don’t believe I’m familiar with that establishment.” Oh, right, he’s never been to Ohio.

“It’s a tiny little restaurant right beside the main campus of the University of Cincinnati. It’s got great food.”

“Well that’s a bit away, why don’t I treat you to an early dinner, since you flew all the way here?” He held the door for me. “Oh, and before I forget, there might be fans waiting for us, well me more so.”

“Can’t be The Master without a fanclub...” I grumbled.

“Please don’t.” His tone was somber. “I very well may have made children cry from the scuffle I was in, I don’t want to hurt anyone, and I certainly don’t want them to worry.”

“What exactly happened in there?”

“Someone from a group with a uniform of PAPA on their clothes, said something about a ‘Mr.Silence’ before he lunged at me with a knife and I nearly killed him.”

“PAPA? Can’t say I've heard of them...” I had to actively resist inserting a Silence joke.

“Most likely an abbreviation.” He kept quiet as we entered. It was a little less crowded than I would expect. Seeing us, a manager approached.

“Welcome back, sir,” he said, in a rather friendly tone. “And who is your friend?”

“I’m Chris, inside of Ditzy.”

Hehehe, sweet revenge...

“Hey, I’m in me too!”

“I see...” The manager didn’t quite appear to know what to say. “And would you care for a table?”

“Sure, I could really go for some food.” It was true. Muffins don’t really hold off hunger for 150 miles.

“Right, that’ll be $23.99 for the group.”

I started to dig some money out of my coat pockets, generally succeeding.

I really should organize this... eh, later.

“I told you, I’ll pay.” He said so while paying.

“Oh, okay. I must’ve lost it in the gap.”

“Don’t worry about it.” With that, we claimed a table and a human, probably Shane’s brother, walked up and started whispering to him.

“Really?” Shane’s brother said, no longer whispering. “What, like her sister or something?”

“Yep, twins.” We can both fill in the blanks when need be, so we both knew who he was talking about.

“Huh...” With that truly eloquent comment, he left to get food.

“So... What’s up with him?”

“He’s not a fan of the show, he just knows some stuff because he’s around me a lot.” While he was saying this, he grabbed himself a slice of pepperoni pizza.

“Wait, are you sure you can...Oh, what am I saying, of course you can eat meat...”

“Oh, I’m sorry, is that offensive?” He got ready to put the slice back.

“No, it isn’t. I rather liked meats before this happened." I gestured to the head before mentally ducking to avoid an offended Ditzy.

"Wait, you liked eating THAT?”

Yes. Humans eat meat. Some, including my mom, don’t for various reasons.

“My apologies.” He put the pizza back in favor of a slice of veggie. “Being biologically different makes it a bit difficult to fit in, even among ponies.”

“You don’t have to change what you’re eating for one half of me...” Said identity grumbled.

“No, I don’t want you to feel awkward, just forget about it.”

“Okay then...” With that, I got my own pizza (Pineapple) and some melon..

A bit later and at the table, The Master/Shane had buttered bread rolls to go with his pizza and his brother had popcorn shrimp and chicken breast.

“So,” his brother broke the ice, “are you traveling with us?”

“I guess I am.” We shrugged. I did finally get Ditzy to calm down a peg while walking back with food. “It beats flying alone.”

“And that’s the one thing I’m jealous about. Some of you can fly now, others can do magic, hell, he’s a freaking Time Lord.” He gestured to...well, who do you think?

“And we have to relearn walking, not to mention learning to fly and do magic. Besides, many of us are genderbent as ponies.”

“Really?” he asked, “I didn’t know that, who are you talking about?”

“Me, for example. Do you know any girls who call themselves ‘Chris’?”

“I know a girl named Christine, she goes by Chris.” he replied.

“Any others?”

“No,” he replied, eating a piece of shrimp, “not like I try and find them though.”

“Don’t be jealous, except for him. He’s a Time Lord.” Ditzy thankfully stopped me from ending that with ‘Time Lords are cool!’

This voice that Shane used was... different. It sounded like it had seen the whole universe and, in fact, been the scourge of it. “Being a Time Lord’s not all it’s cracked up to be though, imagine being as old as an entire species and having to watch it die...”

“Yikes, I hadn’t thought of that...”

Shane went back to the voice I knew. “Being a Time Lord is both a curse and a blessing, I guess, every ride has it’s ups and downs, my ride’s just a bit longer.”


“The blessing is that you’re overpowered?” That one, I could not resist.

“The blessing is that I get to see civilizations prosper, and help in whatever way I can.” Luckily, he ignored that. He sounds rather unlike The Master, though..

Must be Shane talking.

Point...

“That’s quite the blessing.”

“Yeah, I guess it is...”

***

Later, after dinner, we all piled into the car. Shane drove, his brother sat in the passenger seat, and Ditzy and I slept. Or, at least, we tried to.

Author's Note:

This marks my meeting up with The Master, and, in theory, quicker chapters. 'Cause we all know what my update schedule's like.
For all of you reading later: There is no schedule and it shows.