• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 890 Views, 39 Comments

Mixing Colors - Lyssa



When an unexpected visitor crash lands in Apploosa, one pony's life will be changed forever.

  • ...
2
 39
 890

The Trip

I glared somewhat resentfully at the elements as they noisily took their seats. A few other vaguely familiar ponies got on board, and with a slight jolt, we were off. Braeburn and his cousin Applejack, the element of honesty, kept up small talk mainly involving apples throughout most of the train ride. Rainbow Dash had her muzzle buried in a book with a mustard-colored mare on the cover, the element of magic levitated a pen over a scroll and was furiously scribbling, Laughter quietly hummed or sang to herself, bouncing up and down like she couldn't quite contain herself, Kindness was taking a nap and Generosity was admiring herself. It seemed like everypony else had something to do but me.

With a sharp and sudden snap, Generosity magically closed her compact and turned to face me. "So, um... Sputter Paint, is it?" She asked nonchalantly, mistaking my name on purpose. Gritting my teeth to keep from yelling, I answered, "Splatter, actually. It's Splatter Paint."
"Oh, I'm terribly sorry, darling! I'm usually much better with names. Anyhoo, what exactly is your line of work?"
I raised an eyebrow at her. Either she was a fabulous actress, or she was just plain stupid. "Art," I replied curtly. Magic perked up at my answer. "Have you studied Ponycasso? Or Moneigh? I have a few books in my library, if you haven't-"
"I've actually studied intensively on most famous artists and forms of art," I cut her off, feeling a little bad afterwards since she stuck up for me before. "To become a great artist, one must first master each form and begin to create their own."
She nodded in agreement. She opened her mouth to say something, but Generosity was faster. "So you master in all the fine arts?"
I nodded. "Realism, cubism, modernism, abstract, still life, even some sculpting-"
"So, no offense, but why do you do those... Erm, 'abstract' pieces when you can make something beautiful, like water lilies, or-" at this, she flipped her mane-"maybe a diamond?"

Again, I raised an eyebrow. How did she know I did abstracts? I looked at my saddle bag and noticed that my apple piece was poking out. Then I realized she was dissing my style of art. That mule! I pulled out the canvas covered in red swirls and dots to display to her and the other elements. "I believe that abstract is the best form of art because everypony sees it differently."
The others looked up from what they were doing. When Braeburn realized I was showing off the piece that used to be on a napkin, his chest puffed with pride. Most of the elements let out a slight ooh, except for Generosity, who let out an exasperated puff of air.

Applejack grinned. "Why, you made an apple! It looks mighty nice."
"No no no! It's obviously a fish! See, right there! No, a duck. No, it's that bush in front of Sugarcube Corner.... Oh wait! It is an apple." Babbled Laughter. "It looks... Nice," commented Kindness.

I smiled. The other elements were nice mares, except for Generosity... "Hey, I forgot to ask, but what's your name anyways?" I asked her.
She lifted her snout up in the air and proclaimed, "I am Rarity! And if you didn't already know," (her tone of voice implying that I should definitely have already known) "This is Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash and Applejack." As I tucked my art back into my bag, I smiled and said hi to each pony in question. Now I wouldn't have to keep referring to them as their elements in my head. After a few more minutes of idle chat and Rarity making eyes at Braeburn, the train stopped in Ponyville. "It was nice meeting you, Splatter Paint!" Twilight Sparkle called over her shoulder as she trotted off the train, her friends quickly following after and calling similar goodbyes. With one final glare, I was finished with Rarity for, hopefully, the rest of my life.

I slouched back in my seat and exhaled in relief. Braeburn smirked knowingly. "That's how Ah feel sometimes," he told me. "You shoulda seen it when they came in and we and the buffalo tribe were still fightin'... They sure did make a mess outta things. But its alright, cuz they DID fix it in the end."

I rolled my eyes. I had had enough of the Elements of Harmony for the rest of my life. I didn't need any stories about them. To distract myself, I got out my hairbrush and began running it through Braeburn's mane. "Seriously, did you brush your mane today?"
He chuckled a little. "Nah. Ah usually don't need to brush it, and so Ah don't brush it that often."
No wonder I was having so much trouble getting it all the way through. It took some time, but after a while I could run it through any part of his mane, no problem. I leaned back and looked at him with his mane all combed. He looked more polished and refined, he could even pass for a city pony in his new vest. I began to repeat the process with his tail and before we were to Fillydelphia his mane and tail were shiny, healthy and glowing. I rubbed my nose to his. "Who looks nice all polished up?" I asked in a baby-talk voice. He smiled and rubbed noses back, but his emerald eyes remained dark, betraying him. "Oh, come on, you're not still scared about Manehattan, are you?"

He gave me a big-eyed puppy dog pout and bashfully nodded yes. I rolled my eyes in exasperation as he tried to defend himself. "Aww, come on, Splatter! Ah haven't been to any big city in years! It ain't my fault Ah'm a lil nervous." I kissed him on the top of his muzzle and told him, "for the last time, I don't want you stressing about this. Just chill, be yourself, and if those stuck-up city ponies don't like you, who cares?"

***

We talked about anything that just came out over the course of the ride. Every thirty minutes or so, the somepony would proclaim, "Fillydelphia!" Or "Galloping Gorge!" The number of ponies rose and fell with each stop, but I didn't know anypony...

Until He came.

I made myself as small as I could. Don't see me, PLEASE don't see me...
"Hey Splatter!"
Shit.
The tall white pegasus stallion with a blue mane approached. Oh my Celestia, why did it have to be him?
"You gonna introduce me to your friend here?" He asked in a way that meant he wouldn't care if I did or didn't. I slouched my shoulders while Braeburn gave me a quizzical look. "Yeah, sure. Braeburn, this is Daredevil Dasher. Dasher, this is Braeburn."
They shook hooves. "I gotta say, Splatter, I never thought I'd see you again after you left like you did. And with a broken wing, no less? Been mixin' it up again?" He asked, winking. "Hey, mind if I join you guys?" Yes. "Not at all," Braeburn answered, friendly and curious. On the inside I groaned. Braeburn didn't know anything about this stallion.

He didn't know that Dasher used to be my Special Somepony!

Author's Note:

Well that was awkward...
But for serious guys. I'm serious about the whole Character/fanfic reward thing. Private message me for more info or check chapter seven (I think it's seven) for my contact info. It's still open. May the odds be ever in your favor.