• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 890 Views, 39 Comments

Mixing Colors - Lyssa



When an unexpected visitor crash lands in Apploosa, one pony's life will be changed forever.

  • ...
2
 39
 890

Upon Arrival

I stared at my teal hooves while Braeburn and Dasher talked. "So, er, Dasher, what d'you do for a livin'?" asked Braeburn.
"Well, for a couple years after high school I was a royal guard. That's how Splatter and I met, see, 'cause she had just moved to Canterlot at the time. Anyways, it was a pretty solid gig at the time, but I got canned for 'unruly behavior'. Now I'm in the Wonderbolts Academy," Dasher answered smugly.
"Uh, if you don't mind me askin', what was the 'unruly behavior?" Braeburn inquired.
"Ahh, it was stupid," said Dasher, pushing the question away with his hooves. "Fought with some other guards. Knocked some teeth, drew some blood... Whatever. The worst part about that little squabble was the real fight afterwards." At this, he winked at me, making me blush. Braeburn peered curiously at me. "Um... Yeah, Dasher and I used to, uh..." I stuttered.

"We were together," finished Dasher smugly. What I wouldn't do to wipe that smile off his face! I gave him a poisonous glare and turned to Braeburn. "Thankfully, I came to my senses when he sent 3 of his coworkers to the hospital."
Daredevil Dasher, always able to roll with it, leaned back in his chair and answered, "What can I say, babe? It's all in the name."
Why is he so annoying? Why won't he leave me alone? Why did I ever date him in the first place? I took a glance into his beautiful purple eyes. Okay, I knew why I dated him in the first place. Admittedly, he was gorgeous-on the outside. Braeburn was perfect inside and out.

Still leaned back and relaxed, Dasher asked, "So, where're you two goin'?"
"Manehattan," I replied, trying to maintain an air of superiority. "I'm going to showcase my artwork in the museum."
If Dasher had a mouthful of water, he would have done a spit take. "No way! That's where I'M headed!" Oh dear sweet Luna help me. I managed to muster up a smile that felt like a grimace. "That's...greeeaaat...."

The engine screeeecchhed to a stop. "Manehattan!" Called out the engineer. I almost started to hyperventilate! Braeburn shifted out of his seat and held out a hoof to help me down. I extended my good wing over his back and held my head high. He cocked his head to the side and gave me a quizzical look. I remembered he was an earth pony... All of my stallionfriends had been pegasi, and we would hold wings when we walked, but I couldn't do that with Braeburn. Blushing, I retracted my wing and began to walk towards the door.

As we were about to go out the door, I looked behind me to see if Dasher was still following, and the perv was attempting to look up my skirt! I flicked my tail at his face and watched him jerk his head back and see me scowling at him. He blushed deeply and kept his eyes on the ground. Serves him right! I thought as Braeburn accompanied off the stairs. I gaped at the sheer size of the station and the skyscrapers around it. Oh my Luna, this is HUGE! It was bigger than I'd ever imagined! Only Manehattan could rival Canterlot in sheer size. I began to hyperventilate again. Everypony there was so refined, so beautiful. I had a feeling they wouldn't be easy to impress. I got ahold of myself long enough to start to try to make a game plan with Braeburn. We were to find a nice but not too fancy hotel to stay in for a week, meet with the curator to discuss showing my art in the museum, and hopefully leave with compensation.

I sighed. It wouldn't be easy, but there were two things I always had: hope, and Braeburn.

Author's Note:

This is a linking/filler chapter. I'm tired and sick so soon I'll update. Read on my peeps. Read on.