• Published 5th Feb 2013
  • 890 Views, 39 Comments

Mixing Colors - Lyssa



When an unexpected visitor crash lands in Apploosa, one pony's life will be changed forever.

  • ...
2
 39
 890

A Major "Ouch"

As I flew towards Manehattan, I enjoyed the breeze in my long, curly, red and white mane and through my teal wings. The satchel full of my artwork weighed down on my back, but I didn't mind. Having the curator of the Manehattan Museum look at my work was like a dream come true.

My name is Splatter Paint. Ever since I was little, ponies have shied away from my crazy appearance (It's not every day you see a pony with an unruly red and white mane, a teal body, and deep orange eyes) but when they see some of my works, they're amazed. Ever since I was a little filly, I loved art. The day my parents gave me my very first paint set and easel was the day I got my cutie mark- 3 splatters of purple, green, and orange paint right next to each other. At first I thought they were legitimate splatters and tried to scrub them them off in the shower. When I found out it was my cutie mark, I had never been prouder. I dropped out of flight school and my parents signed me up for a professional art tutor so I could "expand my horizons". As an only foal, they spent a lot of time and money on me. Not that I'm complaining, of course.

After I mastered most forms of art, I decided I was better at abstracts and splatters than more traditional kinds of art. I moved into Canterlot as a starving artist- pompous unicorns mostly visited me because I was one of very, very few pegasus artists. After a year or so, many ponies had heard about me and I got a call from the Curator requesting to see some of my best works. I would be staying in Manehattan for two weeks while he critiqued my work and, possibly, requested more.

I looked back on my past fondly as I flew over a pretty deserted-looking stretch of land and felt the sun on my back, wings, mane and tail. In Canterlot, everypony was as delicate as a flower, fanning themselves with fans and complaining about the heat on summer days. However, growing up in Cloudsdale I was used to very direct sunlight and actually enjoyed the warmer temperatures. No kind of weather usually bothered me, but if I could go back, I would have definitely gone another route. A shadow passed over me- I assumed it to be a cloud. That is, until I felt a sharp pain on the right side of my back.

Hooves descended on to my right wing with an audible crack. I screamed in pain. A dark blue, young pegasus was was flying back to his buddies, as they laughed at my pain. "West side, motherbucker!" he yelled at me as I quickly lost altitude. There was no way I could pursue them- the only thing I could do was extend my wings as best as I could to slow down my fall.

As I was rapidly dropping out of the sky, I looked around for anything to soften my fall or a nearby city to help me with my wing and, hopefully, transport me to Manehattan. Luckily, it just so happened that I was nearby a small-looking town. hopefully it'll be bigger when I'm in it, I thought, but it was no time to be picky. I aimed myself towards the town in a way that only a pegasus knows how to do and began to approach the town.

Good thing I was so high up, I thought as I came near the city, Or maybe I would have had to walk the whole way there.

I had never been to this town before, and I wasn't exactly an expert on Equestrian cities, but this was no city like Canterlot. The buildings on either side of me were very small. I faced forward- I was really close to the ground! Even worse, There was a pony right in front of me!

"Incoming!" I shouted as I crash-landed. Thankfully, I didn't crash into anypony- but that was the least of my worries at the moment.

I groaned as I opened my eyes. I was laying on the dirt road, belly-down, with my legs splayed all over the place. I tried to flap my hurt wing, but pain struck like lightning through my body, making me gasp. Then, to add embarrassment to injury, as it were, I remembered there were a whole lot of ponies watching me, too. I struggled to get to my hooves and turned, expecting to see a crowd far away from the site of my crash, but I actually came muzzle to muzzle with probably the most attractive stallion I've ever seen. I blushed from the closeness of the sexy stranger, but his emerald green eyes showed that his intentions were innocent.

"Are you okay, sugar cube?" he inquired in a southern accent. "Are you hurt? That was quite a crash."
I blushed even more from his almost motherly questions. I stepped back a bit, because I knew that if I was going to stay that close to a stallion like that I would quickly get a wingboner, which would be unpleasant given the circumstances.
"Um, I, uh, I'm fine from the crash, but somepony hurt my wing really bad," I replied shyly.
"Medic!" He yelled, surprising me quite a bit. "Where's the town medic?!"
"Ah'm right here," a pony from the crowd spoke up. "Let's get her to my office"

***

The medic's office was nothing like the clean hospital I was thinking of. The inside was dusty and not very well lit, but it was better than nothing, and at least I didn't have to share it with some sick or dying country pony. The strange stallion accompanied me the whole way and waited by the cot as the doctor tested my wing in various ways, most of which involved pain.

"Welp," he said, trotting to the end of the cot, "seems you've got quite a situation there. Yer wing broke in two different places! We're gonna put it in a splint and it should be fine in, oh, maybe a month or so."
"A MONTH?" I yelled, distraught. "No! Nonononono. I have to go to the Manehattan Museum!" Just then, I remembered my satchel full of paintings. "My satchel! Where is it?!"

The attractive stallion piped up. "Oh, ah got your satchel when we were takin' ya here. Didn't want you to forget it. By the way, my name's Braeburn. Ah know you're in pain, but... Welcome to Aaapploosa!" he said excitedly.
I blushed a little bit as I opened the latches on my satchel. On the right side, one piece was broken and another was bent from the attacker, and on the left side several were dented and damaged from the crash. Tears sprung up in my eyes.
"Nooooo," I moaned in despair.

"Common, sugar cube," Braeburn tried to console me. "I... I know it looks bad, but... ya know, in time... it'll all work itself out in the end." Even he didn't sound too sure of himself.
"No," I sniffled, my voice thick from tears. "Nothing's okay. My wing is broken, and I can't fly to Manehattan, and almost all my art is ruined, and I don't know where I am-"
"I already told ya! You're in Aaapploosa!" said Braeburn excitedly.
"I mean, I don't know how far away from Manehattan, or Canterlot, or anywhere else I am!" I replied angrily. It didn't come off quite right, though, because I was still crying a bit. "And I'm all dirty, and I don't know how I'm supposed to get out of this Celestia forsaken town, and if I can't I don't even know where I can stay!" The last of my troubles ended out in sobs.

"W-well..." he was obviously having trouble consoling me. I put my hooves to my face to wipe away my tears. "Hey.. hey! Come on now, sugar cube! We don't have much transportation- just horse-drawn carriages and a train that-"
I looked up with hope. "A train?" I asked excitedly.
"Well, now, let me finish. The train won't be back until two weeks from now-" At that, I began crying anew. He began to speak louder to be heard over my sobs. "But it wouldn't trouble me none if you boarded with me 'til then!"
My loud sobs turned down to whimpers and my breathing got all hiccup-y. Braeburn was definitely one of the hottest ponies I've ever met. The situation I was in was horrible, but being babied by him wouldn't be half bad.

"I-I g-g-guess," I managed to get out. He grinned.
"All right!" he said happily. "Common, I should give you a tour of the town!"