• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 1,729 Views, 24 Comments

Mind of Matter - Winds of Change - SilverCreep



A year has past since Anon's depature, yet upon a suprise return, the situation in Equestria isn't the same comforting feel he had when he left; something new and sinister is a'hoof.

  • ...
8
 24
 1,729

Chapter 06 - Everfree Escapade

Celestia, the Solar Princess, stood tall in the center of Ponyville, her white coat gleaming gently as she watched her sun slowly rise. The Alicorns horn brilliance as she elevated the giant ball of fire up across the horizon with almost an effortless rising motion of her head and neck. Her mane, a mixture of blue, pink and green colours ebbed and flowed as the grand sun of her might enchanted her powers with the light of the day as she let out a content sigh. The moment of great delight was upon her, to see Anon yet again was an uplifting experience and since he had left so long ago, she had yearned for his return.
Now, with the time drawing near of Anon's debut, the mare was quite smitten with interest to see how the human, Anon of Earth, has changed since his departure.

"Tia!" Came the familiar tone of Luna as Celestia turned to see Anon and her younger sibling approaching the square as Luna rushed over to embrace her elder.
"Luna, so good to see you again my dear sister, has your night been pleasant?" she asked as Luna smiled up at her.
"Oh yes sister, We had much fun with Sir Anon during his welcoming party."
Celestia smiled "Ah, that is wonderful to hear my dear sister, I do hope it wasn't too much for Anon to take?" she asked as Luna gave a sheepish smile, casting a glance to Anon.
"It was...interesting..." she said as Celestia perked her ears.
"Interesting, such an usual answer for a simple party..." she turned to Anon "Was there something amiss about it?" she asked as you shook your head.
'No your majesty, just a simple get-together, though I guess the oddity of the party was the....shall we say, turn out of the subjects of the night.'
"Ah..." she smiled, the concern fading from her expression as she trotted over to you.
You bow slightly out of respect as Celestia stopped some distance away from you, surprised at your formality for a moment before returning the bow.
"Sir Anon...it is a great joy to see you once more, I am quite glad you have returned to our land and hope your stay thus far has been pleasant?"
'Indeed it has Princess, thanks to both Trixie and Twilight as well as Pinkie for making it a 'smashing' success.'
You look at Luna who snickered slightly, remembering the events of the evening before now as Celestia looks between you with a quizzical expression before returning to face you.
"Well, I am just glad you haven't attempted to bring harm to yourself again ANon, having to save you the last time was...gratifying, alas it is not fitting for an Equestrian Knight to be saved by the one who they are charged with is it not, let alone showing such a brutish side to my subjects, including my pupil no less."
You nod 'Yeah...I can understand Princess, you hardly raise your voice in anger, but I can imagine having the words "Anon" and "Vaporized" together would ruffle anyone's feathers...no pun intended.'
Celestia stifled a giggle, covering her maw with her wing. "I can certainly agree, considering your reputation among our subjects."

You nod 'I heard my fair share of it from that article that fluttered about, seems many ponies really did find my presence helpful, if not awe-inspiring.'
"Oh but of course!" Luna chimed in "The savior of Canterlot! the Knight of the Celestial Sisters, such an honour to be blessed by a title sir Anon!"
You rub the back of your head as Celestia approached closer now as she at you; those amethyst eyes of hers glinting in the rising sun as she smiled.
"A year has passed since you returned once more to our humble kingdom, Anon of Earth. Much has happened and...much has changed since then."
'So I've heard.' you mention, looking at Celestia 'I heard that there was quite a lot that happened.'
Celestia sighed, lowering her head a bit "I take it my word has been spoken before my lips could mention it?" she said, passing a look to Luna who just lowered her head with a bit of a smile.
'I guess it has, but it was for the best Celestia, knowing....what had befallen you, your kingdom...it wouldn't be something I'd be able to take if I knew it right here and now, being told in advance was well enough, and its from your mouth I still wish to hear it.'

Celestia looked back at you for a moment, another sigh passing her lips as she spread her wings and folded them against her side. "Queen Chrysalis... she had shown her face upon the coronation of Shining Armour, Twilight's elder brother, as Captain of the Royal Guard. Her... actions to sway Shining from the truth and leech off his love had been going on since his return to Canterlot, and yet, I had been unable to detect her until she relived herself to the court and council." she looked at you, those eyes, pain behind the veil of calmness she had on them. "Never had such a power been forced upon me when I sought to defend my subjects. The love Shining had for the mare in her guise was almost too much for me.... it was...." she exhaled "unfitting...for the ruler of a nation to crumble in the face of evil."
You scratched your chin for a moment as you sigh 'It must have been a terrible time for everypony to see their Princess fall like that, such is the power of love stolen from a stallion isn't something to take lightly I guess.'
Celestia shook her head "The power of love and admiration is one of the strongest elements, though mine and my sisters power is based upon the sun and moon, it is also the admiration of our subjects that help us fuel our magical might. Even with such power, the focused concentration of Love to one mare from a Stallions own heart had fallen me...but..." she looked away "it had been a time for once...that I thought...I had lost everything as I had when Luna had become her darker self...Nightmare Moon."

You approach the Princess, gently putting a hand to her cheek and stroking it as she looked at you in surprise.
'You did all you could, and though it may not have been by you, it was by your student you had taught and guided who overthrew the menace, you can be proud of her at least and know you did all you could.'
Celestia blushed a bit, looking solely at you before pulling away.
"I admit...it is rewarding to know Twilight had done well against the Queen, and her spirit and strength of friendship shawn brightly that day...but Anon..." she huffed "it is one thing to see my student vanquish the evil that had fallen me, it is another thing to see that, as a Princess and ruler, my own image has been seen as...weak."

'Weak?' you repeat, not liking the word coming from Celestia as she nodded slowly
"After that incident, I had been placed into the medical ward under Professor Stencil Sketch, the same pony who treated you. He had spoken how some of the council-ponies were...uncertain...of my position in the future if I cannot defend my own subjects on their capital grounds. It is very unnerving to have to admit that ponies find you lacking, especially those who serve under you. I...I do not wish to have my own subjects question my strength and ability to defend them." she huffed "Even...after BlueBloods departure and my request to shift his castle wing to a daycare for the fillies and colts of the council, I still am unsure about their standings towards me....it is...so vexing."
'They still follow you Princess, they still see you as their leader and that should calm your concerns to a point anyway.' you mutter 'so you lost one fight, it hurts, it hurts a lot, but you've gotten back up and still done much good for them, much guidance and leadership of your subjects, that should say something yes?'
Celestia looked at you, a small smile on her face as she returned to confront you.
"Yes...I can understand your logic Anon, but it still...leaves me with a spike of uncertainty in myself....can I continue to lead, will I be able to stand against the next threat that surfaces to harm our Kingdom?"
'I know you will.' you reply with a smirk 'you're friggin Princess Celestia, the Solar Princess and ruler of Equestria!'
She put a hoof to her maw, again the blush across her cheeks as she looked at you.
"A-Anon..." she giggled a bit "you always seem to know how to brighten the mood as the sun brightens the day."
'Hehe...s'what I do...now then Princess... you mentioned an inspection the last time, what you have in store for me, a test maybe? A summary to write, what?'

In the back of your mind you knew she'd be up to something, though the thought of a fight between Celestia and you for assurance of the Princess's ability and confidence still bothered you. When you had asked Luna about it, she couldn't give a good answer on it, but this was Celestia, she wasn't one to fight anypony without reason...right?

Celestia's eyes glinted, something about her smirk made you shiver as Luna could tell from her sisters sudden change of posture from soft and dainty, to a stern, proud figure as she cleared her throat.
"Anon of Earth, you had left upon the knighthood of the Euqestiran royal guard, as such, your first task is to assume your position as a knight. Though you had shown the medallion, the proper merit had not been granted....Anon...please kneel."
You do so without hesitation as Celestia's horn glows vibrantly, slowly she lowers her head, tapping your left shoulder, and then raising above your head to tap down on your right.
"Anon of Earth, with the power of the Sun and the ruling of Equestria, I, Princess Celestia, formally dub thee as Royal Knight of the Celestial Guard. Your duties from henceforth are to serve and protect the maidens of the Celestial ruling against any and all threats towards the Kingdom and crown." She smiled a bit "you may rise."
You nod, doing so as you suddenly see a glow before you as a magical ring suddenly appeared on your right left wrist.
You blink, looking in concern as Celestia just smiles.
"A knight must bear the arms of the kingdom they serve do they not? Though we cannot provide you with a full armour plate as our guards tend to don, we had asked Rarity for some, alternatives."
'Alternatives?' you ask as the magical ring flashes, and there, on your wrist was a silver brace, it almost reminded you of the gauntlets BlueBlood imprisoned you with, but the design was nicer, and the silver crisper as you can see an engraved image of the Sun and Moon atop a sword and shield as a single blue crystal remained in the center of the metal rig.
"Anon, you have been granted a great responsibility and an even greater power within our realm. As the first Human to be granted Knighthood, you hold an important role in our kingdom as well as the reputation of both myself and my sister... I trust that you will take this with great pride and diligence."

Eying the bracer for a moment, you can't help but admire its design before turning to Celestia.
'Of course your majesty, I shall do my utmost to protect and serve your highness's.'
"Your utmost....well...we are glad to hear such a thing!" Luna said with a grin "Anon, it will be truly an honour to see you by our side."
"That is....if...he can pass his test." Celestia of course wasn't sharing the delight her sister bubbled as she remained stern in her appearance, a slight grin crept across her face as she came quite close, pressed into you, causing you to back away.
This wasn't an embrace like before, this was a show of force, and you could feel the pressure of her muscular form against your body as you are pushed back. Celestia would continue, almost to shove you away from Luna as you blink.
"Tia!?" Luna exchalmed "What are thou doing?"
Before Luna could spread her wings, a solid band of magic wrapped itself around her, keeping her wings tightly fit by her flanks as she yelped.
"Sister!?" Luna said in surprise as Celestia stops pushing you.
"Anon...to truly test your mettle and worthiness of a Knight, I challenge thee to a confrontation of skill and tactics!"
She wasn't kidding as her expression was as serious as ever, you couldn't help but gulp as you look at her, those eyes alight with a fire of confidence.
'Ce-Celestia, w-what do you mean?'
The Princess looked sternly at you as she cast a backwards glance at her sister.
"As you know, my care for kingdom is grand, but my care for my sister is above all a priority fit only for those worthy and able to handle threats far superior to their own skill and might." she turned her glance back to you "Anon...if you truly seek to be a Knight, you must be willing to face foes far stronger than even me.... are you willing to take such a risk?"
You blink for a few seconds, letting the thought of what was about to happen sink in as you slowly take a step back.
'Yeah....I can't image a reason to refuse when I wish to protect the two most important ponies here.'
Celestia smirked, closing her eyes "Then we are in agreement that we shall begin this test?" she said, opening her eyes to see you... suddenly running off into the woods.

"Oh Anon do be careful!" Luna called as she saw her sister take wing without a moments hesitation.

--

You are Anon
And your Innawoods again.
Same old, same old, you recall the last time you did this song and dance with Celestia, running atop the roof's of Canterlots common area as you made your attempted escape against her and her guards.
She beat you that time.
And again, she might just do so here.
Not that you'd let her easily, but the fact she wanted to fight you to test your skill as their 'body-guard' made it more interesting, if not somewhat unsettling.
You didn't really want to fight, you felt the need for it almost forced by the Solar Princess, but who are you to refuse her request, you WERE Knighted by them.
Whatever the case, the further you got from Celestia, the better your chances of getting an idea as to how to approach-

There was a brilliant flash of light ahead as you quickly double back, taking cover behind a tree as you look at the source. What was once nothing more that dirt and foliage had turned into a lush, green clearing with flowers blooming as the Solar Mare herself descended through the trees as she landed softly on the freshly grown grass, exhaling as you could see the look of determination in her expression.
"Anon? You know I expect most of your tricks now..." she said, slowly turning and...trotting...through the wilderness; her horn brilliance gently, casting a glowing beam of light to search you out.
Keeping tight to the trunk you hid behind, you could hear the clopping of her hooves against the ground, nothing subtle about her movements as she stepped where she pleased.
Making a quick look, you can see she's venturing off...away from you.
That was good, get further from her by her own due-diligence, fine.
Ducking low, you start making your way through the underbrush, moving as slowly and as softly as possible, keeping your head just above the thicket brush to keep an eye on Celestia as you circled the clearings perimeter.
She didn't seem intent on venturing further, perhaps the brush would not do well for her mane, or perhaps she was just too big to move through without hindrance.
You couldn't blame her, she'd be completely vulnerable without the ability to spread her wings and nothing but a lose footing on the roots and dirt that littered the forest floor.
This, however, was your territory, and you had the edge.
*SNAP*
Or at least you thought as you suddenly step on a branch, causing the Solar Princess to turn directly towards you.
"Anon!" she shouted, her horn brilliance as she fired a beam square at your location.
You dive, seeing the beam almost slow in its approach, enough time to dodge aside as it impacted, turning the messy underbrush you were hiding amidst into a pleasant little bush with lovely flowers.
Of course, leave it to the power of the sun to turn any shrub into full bloom, cute, but that left the question of what it would do to you.

Another beam struck above you, then another as you keep low, crawling as fast as possible among the brushes as the clopping of hooves echoed behind you.
You make a left, quickly clambering over some large roots and taking cover amidts the roughage of the undergrowth, keeping tight to a large tree and hiding behind it as you hear Celestia rush by.
"ANON!" she called "sway this insolence and confront me, you cannot run forever!"
Of course, she didn't really stop to look as she rushed right past you, going some distance over brush like a show-horse, leaping over obstacles as she kept her pace steady.

It takes several tense moments before the hoof-falls slowly faded, waiting a bit for her to get clear from sight before you exhale. 'Damn...she's getting better.' you mutter 'can't remember the last time she was so persistent, that or fool-hearted...'
Dusting yourself off, you look around the forest scape, the last time you were in the Everfree was with Cermina...
She had kept you protected against the baddies, and made it through the wilderness to Ponyville on two occasions.
You sort of wondered where she was now, she didn't appear when you first arrived, but you were sent home by her last time.

Your thoughts reiterate to the final moments of your past adventures here, going through hell and back with Twilight and Cermina before returning home during the ceremony. It was...nice, and you really were kind of growing on the fact you were back, but since the Princess wasn't letting you get through easily was a real shame, considering you wouldn't hear the end of it until either you or her were left standing.
'Well, let her run off like a wild one, she'll find something eventually, or fall of a cliff...' you stretch, slowly making your way away from the tree as you take a few steps out into the thicket of the wilderness as you inhale, taking in a deep breath of the fresh forest air before exhaling, looking around with delight as you take in the sounds.... if there were any.
Strange... not a single sound, no bird chirped, no animal moved, everything was silent.
Was this Celestia's doing? Had she gone about silencing EVERYTHING as to not be swayed by this battle?
That was pretty harsh, but at the same time, hella-smart of the princess to go through all that trouble.
Maybe just her presence alone kept the wilderness silent as you suddenly catch a sot rustling nearby.
With a sudden turn, you raise your fists, expecting to see Celestia charging out, but find nothing aside from a gently swaying bush before you.
'Get it together man...' you mutter as you hear more rustling, quickly turning another direction as you hear it a third time, but could only see the swaying bushes of something that was once there.

You were being watched.

The hairs on the back of your neck stood up, you could feel the eyes of something... or somepony watching you.
It felt like a cold tingle down your back. Its not a comfortable position to be the mouse when the cat is prowling unseen, but this mouse had fangs. With a smirk, you flick forward your gauntlet, slipping your other hand atop the device as you tap the sword icon, quickly drawing forth the blade's handle as you hold it tight in your right hand, gently twirling it, but not drawing the blade just yet.
It wouldn't be sportish to kill some random animal right off the bat if they attacked anyway, most things knew to avoid you unless they want to be shashimi as you keep hearing the rustling of bushes getting more frequent.

'where...' you mutter, keeping your eyes shifting, turning your head from the left to the right like it was on swivel as you exhale, keeping your stance lose before you make a full rotation... Right into the sudden form of something leaping at you.

*WHUMP*

You hit the ground hard as whatever attacked you landed square atop your body as your hat sheilds your eyes.
A hiss, hurring even, reverberated from your perpetrator as you look to your arms to find them pinned by...claws?
Shit... where you about to be some beasts lunch?
Try as you might, you can't free yourself as you suddenly hear the soft chuckling of laughter.
"he he he... al'vasy de same comrade, never v'ere good at keeping yourself protected."
That voice... you look up, just as your hat flips back and you see the all too familair face of one certain drakess.
Cermina...

The black and red drakess smirked, showing her rows of very sharp teeth as you see her red eyes glowing crimson and her ram-like horns glinting from the sun above.
'Cermina, that you?'
The drakess huffed, easing off you as she slowly helped you up.
"Good dat you did not forget name dis time comrade, I am glad, did not expect to see you again so soon."
'So soon?' You reiterate 'its been a year according to everyone else.'
Cermina chuckled "V'eally, seems less time den dat comrade, guess tngs just go faster v'hen you have fun yah?" she smiled, suddenly hugging you very tightly.
Oh gods your spine...
"Time aside comrade, tis good to see you v'once more, it v'ill be just like old times, v'e can travel Equestria again, fight monsters and baddies, and be victrious for moderland!!" he said, keeping you close.
'Well... adventuring here.... would be better with a spine intact...' you mutter as she relases you, letting you flop to the ground.
"Humph, mock comrade Cermina;s affection?" Cermina asked, crossing her arms as you strech your back
'More like death grip.' you retort, smirking as Cermina grinned
"al'vays kidder comrade yah?"
You nod, looking across at the almost equal height drakess. Her scales were the same from what you remebered, black exterior body, red chest, lower jaw and inner thighs. Her hat, the same commissar hat she always wore, still tucked between her ram horns as she winked.
"V'hat brings you to my territory?"
'Your territory?'
Cermina nods "Did not know, or did Princess Sun or Moonbutt not tell you?"
'Oh... you mean body-guarding Ponyville?' You did remember having that talk with Celestia before, offering her the suggestion to have Cermina as a guatdian of the village.
"Yah yah! It has been good comrade, many good fights, many good times." she huffed "but, dis not ordinary forest comrade, dis place strange v'ith many dangers even Cermina not face... v'hat brings smart human like you here any'vay?"
Smirking, you shrug 'Oh, I dunno, perhaps because the Princess of the Sun knights me and wants to fight me to test my strength as their new bodyguard.'
Cermina blinked, she stared at you for a moment before she broke out in laughter.
"Hahah, you face Princess Sunbutt again? Did she not kick comrade Anon's butt last time real good?"
'Laugh it up chuckles... its different this time, she's pulled out the stops on this one, definitely not one to want to let me go easily; she's being serious on this matter, considering how much of an affect the... past incidents here had taken a toll on her.'
Cermina growled, finding that even you weren't kidding. "I see... dis is trouble comrade... not surprised since she's changed since last time."
'I've heard.... from everypony already, tell me something I don't know.'
Cermina shrugged "Dere is little else comrade, aside from obvious dat she is infatuated by you."
Blinking in suprise, Cermina just grins wider "Seen her many times in clearings, resting upon grass, saying your name~" she nudged your shoulder "She v'eally likes you."
'Figured that too, but then, why is she willing to kick my ass?'
"Because she v'ants to show true strength to Anon, if dis is part of job to project dem, she v'ants to know you can kick ass as hard as her."
Nodding to the drake's logic was simple enough, you felt that because you could actually go toe to hoof with Celestia, that having her go all out against you would be the only way to truly test your skills.
It didn't help that Celestia got her rear handed to her by that changeling witch queen, but you were certain she wouldn't be a problem anytime soon. If you knew Twilight and her friends, they certainly gave her the one-two-hoof and knocked her clear out of the park.
That however DIDN'T help your current situation as you look at Cermina.
'So... where's a good place t lay low.'
"Low? You do not v'ish to engage Princess in combat?"
A shake of her head causes her expression to turn to shock.
"You not serious comrade, to back av'ay from fight?"
'I really had no choice, she knighted me, then wanted to test my skills, but to be honest Cermina, I don't feel the need nor want to fight.'
The drake obviously is offended as she huffed, coming closer to you "You little shit, you not letting Celestia win you so eas, I cannot belive dat you v;ould simply refuse good fight!?"
'Whao, hang on, I never said I'd let her win over me or anything, just...'
"yah?"
'theirs... no reason to fight her, even if she did 'demand it', i don't have the same desire to confront her.'
"And v'hy is dat, you ran her for loop last time."
'Because I was trying to escape her, now it just feels she wants to prove to herself she's strong, and I really can't blame her.'
Cermina huffed, obviously she understood what you meant now as she looked away "I do not condone v'etreating comrade, but if your heart not in fight, den not much fun is it?"
'No it aint..'
She smirked "Den follow me, I know place v'e can hide for v'ile, get your spirit up.'

Cermina knew the forests well, considering the year she spent here had her protecting Ponyville from the number of monsters inside it. She had grown too, she was taller now, and even her body looked a tad more 'built' than before. You certainly were impressed with her adaptability to the wilderness here, and it made you wonder how she survived so well.
"You leanr lot from living on edge comrade, dis forest is just like home, only dere is one intervesting t'vist about it."
'Twist?' you ask, ducking below a branch.
"Dis forest is alive comrade, not like alive as v'e see it, but alive as it changes, shifts even."
'Shifting wilderness, you got to be kidding me.'
"Its no joke!" Cermina barks, stopping and looking at you "Forest can change scenery on v'im! What may v'once be a single tree and turn into MOUNTAIN! V'hat could be cleararing could turn to swamp! It is ever moving like magic v'orking beneath it."
'I wouldn't past that theory beyond it, this is a magical world after all.'
She hrmmed, grinning "you catch quick comrade, dat is good."
Cermina led you through the thicket, oddly enough, you didn't see or hear any sign of Celestia.
Honestly, you were starting to worry, what if she got lost or something, or maybe some monster gobbled her up? You'd be quite pained to find her corpse somewhere while you were being escorted by your guide.
Still, it was strange how Cermina found you so easily, perhaps the connection with her was just something strong enough to find you as you suddenly see her pause, raising a fist like a squad captain.
"Shhhh" she said "Wait a moment... the trees are moving."
'Moving?' you as as she points into the distance.
You can see several trees suddenly shaking, as though something was moving within them.
Slowly becoming more violent before the whole ground exploded upwards, creating a massive towering mountain only a couple of yards away.
'Wow... so that's what you mean?' you say in awe, seeing the once shrubbery forest now turned into a mountain.
"My commander had saying... if you been round area, you know it v'ell, but when you know something a miss, you have to be very wary of things."
'I can see what you mean, it certainly seems that mountains can grow from trees, what else, valleys can be born from dirt?'
Cermina chuckled, looking back just in time to see you suddenly drop as the very ground cave away, and everything a mile behind you suddenly shifted down and what was once forest, became an extensive valley.
And you were falling.
Falling very fast.


Plummeting to your inevitable doom as the valley below was a rather intimidating drop of free fall, you without a chute. Your last glance upwards at Cermina had her rushing to the edge but no where near as close enough to get you in time.
It didn't seem reasonable to die like this, falling to your death in some magical world as you see Cermina ease up from the edge, and take a few steps back.
And god she's not stupid enough.
Oh shit.
She did.
The wingless dragon leaped right from the cliff-side, rushing forward before going into a tight vertical drop right towards you.
The fuck is she thinking.
'you know you can't fly!' you call upwards.
She just smirks at you, dropping faster as the winds shift, causing a slight updraft beneath you extend your body, trying to slow down.
As your decent slows, Cermina closes the gap with you, eventually gripping hold of you tightly and bringing you right into her chest. She huffed, her eyes glowing vibrantly as you notice a strange work of lines along her form as golden slivers began to ripple along the breaks in her scales.
"HOLD TIGHT!" she barked as you feel an intense heat envelope you, and everything goes dark as you impact.

Only...
You don't
The stone around you does.
You suddenly see the very cracking motel magma as the rock around you breaks, and leaves you on a perfectly hollowed case like a Geode stone.
As more of it breaks, you can feel yourself wiggle from the drakess's grasp as you huff, easing yourself free from her confinement.
'WHat the heck you do?'
"SIMPLE, i adapted."
'I can see that...'
Cermina dusts the stone from her shoulders as she eases herself free from the rock tomb "Super heating body, I v'as able to forge magma power into an orb round us and super cool it v'ith de vind. Makes perfect shelter for almost any impact."
'Almost?'
Cermina shrugged "It v;orked didn't it?"
'I Wouldn't bet myself on an 'almost' level.'
She huffed, crossing her arms.
"Super powers turn to magic levels, I found dat after falling myself to near death dat I had to make a 'shell' to protect self."
you eye the half capsule, seeing a few lines of molten lava still radiating along it.
'So you pretty much were able to go OP and protect me?'
"You are still master of Cermina comrade, do not tink I v'ould go above and beyond to help you, besides, v'ithout you, I v'ould not exist."
'Touche.'
Dusting off, you look up towards the sky at the base of the freshly formed valley.
'Wonder how Celestia is doing, I doubt she's been around the Everfree as much as you have?'
Cermina chuckled, kicking away the last of her stone case.
"Aside from does times mentioned, she hardly ventures forth den a few wing beats, dis would be as new to her as you comrade, besides, I do not tink she is dat in-tuned v'ith nature to know v'ere dese tings v'ill happen."
'Lets hope on that...'

Before you could get on your way however, a figure of pure white suddenly slammed into the ground not too far from you as you look to see Celestia herself having crash landed into the Valley.
The mare indeed hadn't expected to be met by such a change of scape, and perhaps falling from a once stable ground into a valley was a rather shocking, if not painful experience as she slowly gets up, shaking her head and then suddenly noticing you.
'Oh sh-'
"Anon..." She said, trying to look unopposed as she turned directly to face you "It seems your game of hide and seek is over."
'shouldn't you be out patrolling?' you jest 'I think its a bit early in the day for gaming with the sole human in Equestria.
She looked back with a rather questioning gaze.
"I don't think its one's place to judge the actions of royalty, when one has yet to prove their worth to the crown."
'eh... didn't think you for the primacy type Celestia, what happened to gentle benevolence?'
Celestia only smirked "I do what is necessary for my kingdom, subjects... and my family Anon. You are a Knight of the Crown, not a duty to be squandered, even by childish means. I had asked you to engage me in combat, and yet you had only fled your duty, such is the one we seek as our protector?"
It was certain that Celestia wasn't willing or even planning on letting you go either as Cermina huffed.
"You cannot expect comrade Anon to v'ant to fight if he v'ishes not to." Cermina muttered "besides, v'hat good does forcing him to bout you prove, are dere not oder 'vays he can prove himself, consider he has done so much more before?"
Celestia turned to Cermina, her expression stern and unshaken.
"It is to prove his capabilities, at times, there won't be any 'awareness period' for Anon to prepare himself for battle; he must always be ready, and always be willing to stand against all who oppose us and wish to cause harm. I am sure, Cermina, you understand this better than even he, as you too were signed to our duty and care."
Cermina quirked a brow "You asked me to protect Ponyville in Everfree forest, dat has noting to do v'th ordering me around, besides, it v'as Anon who gave idea, not you."
Celestia chuckled "Your dedication to your master is admirable Cermina, but despite what you think, your under my jurisdiction and my authority. You're our responsibility and under our charging as the pact we had made stated, am I not correct?"
Cermina growled, clenching her fists.
'Pact?' you mutter, causing Cermina to glance at you 'what does she mean by that?'
"It means...by royal decree, Cermina, you will apprehend Anon."
'Ah....'
Cermina quickly turns to face you, her eyes a mixture of angst and uncertainty as she huffed, growling low.
"Anon...Run!"


Cermina came like a demon outta hell itself as her body acted on the sudden whim of her...contractor.
You didn't have enough time to evade her first swipe at your body, the instinct in combat as well as your own 'time slow' was enough to dodge her first attack.
Her claws were dullen, the radiance of her fire not used with her attacks.
She didn't have to kill you, but she didn't want to take you either.
"Sheet"
'I don't like this idea.'
Both of you dash off into the wilderness, Cermina keeping a few paces behind you for a fighting chance.
She took a hit for you last time....
...she didn't feel to reprimand it from you either.
But...orders were orders.
So for now, she was the fucking sheriff;
and you were her quarry.
"You know you cannot v'un forever comrade, you must face me!"
Cermina barked, bounding through trees as you keep pace through the foliage. She does all she can to refrain from pouncing you down, even slipping up here and there on purpose as you look back.
'I won't fight you Cermina, you're being ordered to do this, not by your own choice!' you shout, ducking under a branch as Cermina bounds over it.
"You fucking nuts, you expect me to just stop v'ehn pact says I must do as Celestia says!?"
'Then I'll just keep running until you're out of steam and then make my escape, nothing too it!'
"Comrade... you made me a machine of v'ar, I vi'll chase you to ends of EARTH to capture you for my contractor, Dragons cannot deny their orders from a pact, you must understand I v'ill not stop!"
She was right, Cermina was duty bound by Celestia's word, and she literally would chase you to hell and back.
She had the stamina, she had the capabilities and durability, and it would only be a matter of time before your weaker human stamina would be drained and she'd have you.
Defeat was inevitable, but it wasn't your option, it WOULDN'T be your option as you suddenly see the trees around you begin to shake, just like that time....
'Cermina.... run past me!' you shout.
"V'hat!?"
'Trust me!' you bark, suddenly stopping as you grab hold of a Tree, seeing Cermina rush right by you just as the land suddenly shifts, sending you upwards at incredible speeds.
And you're atop a mountain, finding yourself hugging the now devoid trunk of a tree, its canopy of green vaporized by the sudden altitude change as you look about the rocky beyond.
'Modeu fuckin gu'd' you mutter as you slowly ease down, clambering a few feet downward until you ended up on a rather flat surface. With a sigh, you sit down, exhaling deeply as you look out beyond the wilderness, seeing mountains and forest all ahead before breaking about Ponyville and Canterlot further beyond.
It was serene, you bet that Cermina had found herself on the bottom of this mountain, and you had a good few hours or so before she would even reach you.
IF she could reach you, whatever the case, you were free for the moment.
"Anon!" came the all too familiar voice of the Sun Maiden.
Celestia flaps towards you, her large wings beating briskly as she eyes you.
'Celestia... we've done this dance before, why must you seek me to contend with you?'
Celestia blinked for a moment "Do you not wish to hold your duty to the highest degree of seriousness Anon? I seek to test your skill and might for that it would be suiting to defend my sister, yet you continue to avoid the matter like a child. Wat has happened to the Anon I knew of strength and prowess, what has become of you to be this... unwilling?"
'Considering it an ideal of not really wanting to fight when you don't have to. Celestia, I won't fight you, I can't fight you; what point would there be if I did?'

Celestia didn't respond, she just floated there, wings gently flapping as she considered your words for a moment.
"Anon, your wisdom is paramount, and nay can I refuse what you say as true and fact, but, you are a Knight of the Royal crown, few ponies have ever donned such a title before, and those who have always were tested by their ruler to see if their strength and skills were enough to be worthy of their duty. I only ask you permit such actions Anon, to not shy away from danger, to not avoid confrontation. Had.... had you been there during the coronation, would you have acted, or would you have sat idly by and not dared to confront the Queen of the Changelings?"
You really didn't know what you'd do. To be honest, you'd probably leap at the chance to break that witch's horn first off, and then make sure she never had a chance to try a second attempt, ever. Sure, Twilight knocked her away to the scorched lands, but that didn't stop her, it didn't maim her, kill her even, it probably just pissed her off completely and would eventually find a way to return.
That is how most villains work anyway, you don't kill em outright, they will always come back for more.
'That's... not a question I can answer Celestia. I might have done more harm than good even if I had been here, and I know you and Luna wouldn't want that credit towards you, even if this mare was a bad-seed, I'm glad that Twilight found out more than anyone else, and all the better, had it been me.' You smirk 'I might have been a tad upset when the cat was out of the bag.'
Celestia stifled a giggle, you could even catch a bit of embarrassed blush from her cheeks as she coughed, taking her role seriously.
"Again, Anon, your words ring true, though I may not have been blessed by your company, my student and pupil had done her diligence proper despite the disagreement even I had towards her notions, but that does not sway my choice for our trial Anon. Now... shall you engage me... or do you wish to surrender your title?"
The last part of that sentence sounded painful, more towards her than to you as you grumble; she was playing hardball now as you step back a bit.

'Threatening to take it all away because I won't raise a punch to you Celestia, that's a tad brutish, even for you. What happened to the benevolence and kindness? Your ego is getting in the way.'
She looked surprise "You cannot mean such a thing?" she said.
'I do... you could easily have found a peaceful way to test my skills, then again, you've already seen what I can do the last time I was here, why do all this, why!?' you demand, outstretching your arms.
Celestia looked away for a moment. "I felt... powerless when I was defeated Anon, no creature should ever feel such a dreadful emotion of loss, to know I had fallen, failing my subjects before their eyes can never be healed. No matter how much good I do for them, I had been reduced to nothing but a wash-up. Even my our court is uneasy with my capabilities... " she looked at you, her eyes now filled with a longing expression, deep with regret, sorrow, but also hope.
"Anon...please, let me...let me feel powerful again, it is why I asked to inspect you, why...I demanded it....to feel strength and thrill in combating you.

She came closer, slowly landing at the edge of the plateau as you take a few steps back, keeping your distance as you come closer to the edge on the other side. You look back, seeing another, much higher sheer drop down, as you can catch Cermina still scaling the mountain below you.
She was fast, would not be long until she reached the top as you turn back to see Celestia approach you, confident you weren't stupid enough to jump.
"Anon.... please... do not run from this... engage me, let me feel the thrill of battle with you once more."
Taking one last look down, you share a glance with the Princess, if all she wanted was to fight you, then you had no reason to remain here, no reason to bother, no reason to even care as you sigh, slowly letting your body fall back, as you begin to plummet once more.

The shrill cry of Celestia calling your name in sheer terror was enough to get your head into it; maybe thinking this through a bit more might have helped, but fuck it, you weren't going to go about fighting Celestia, not like that anyway. She had opened herself up, even admitted to WANT to fight, that wasn't like her, that was her broken ego trying to mend itself.
It was sickening, how somepony so benevolent, so kind, so wise suddenly turn to nothing more than a wash-up.
Maybe you did need to sock a few hits in her head, make her see straight a bit and perhaps even get her to realize her errors; never hurt to throw some tough love onto her as you look up, seeing her suddenly leap off and after you.

'If only I could fly... maybe I'd be able to really bring her through the ringer...' you mutter, letting your hands spread out as you slow your decent, casting a glance to your device.
'C'mon, I know you can make me fly, just give me that already and lets show Celestia a good fight.'
Your gauntlet listened, and responded in kind; a glowing ring around the wrist began to whizz its way through your body to your head, slowly going down to your shoulders, splitting, and pressing down to his shoes as they suddenly sparked.
And a pair of wings sprouted from each one, suddenly sending a rocketing force right through your shoes as your boots engaged their thrusters.
Your feet propelled you forward with immense force as you feel the sudden strain of G-force before you noticed that you were flying.
You soar to a good few thousand feet over the mountain range that had now formed.
It was iffy, the whole location shifted as your body levels out.
You weren't just flying, you were soaring on boots of flight.
It was quiet wonderful
And though you wished it could last as you suddenly see a familiar white glint on your tail.

Author's Note:

Well, chapter 06 took me a lot longer than I hoped, and went a lot less further than I expected.
I partially blame my RL for such a thing, the last time I sat down and hammered out a good chunk of this chapter was earlier last month when I was on a train. For some reason, being on a train boosts creativity, and I really did enjoy writing the first part of this.

Hopefully you diligent readers will get a kick out of this, chapter 07 should prove very interesting.

Comments ( 4 )

wow! Now the time to have some fun. That was a grate chapter and I can't wait to see whit happens next. Keep up the grate work. I do hope to see a new chapter soon.

I love these stories, they are so damn good!

One of the best fan fics I've read yet. Still a little weird to read his name. Anonymouspoll. Would prefer a real character name but amazing story nonetheless! Keep it up and I hope to see the next chapter as soon as its ready! Also when he got his shoes he should have said " Hey vegeta! I just realized something! I can fly....."
Vegeta:"god...dammit nappa..."

Human loves Equestria bullshit, no thanks.

Login or register to comment