• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 589 Views, 3 Comments

The Secret Journal of Star Swirl the Bearded - ThatBronyWithTheClipOns



Twilight Sparkle discovers an ancient journal that once belonged to the legendary Star Swirl the Bearded.

  • ...
1
 3
 589

Chapter 1: My First Student

King Sombra didn’t start out as a king, he didn’t even start out as a prince. He was once known as Ash Cloud, an earth pony of humble beginnings. His name came from his dark grey coat. He also had a mane as black as the night, and eyes that were bright red. Sad to say, he lived in a time when earth ponies weren’t treated with the most respect by the races that considered themselves superior. But for an earth pony, he had an astute knowledge in history and the workings of magic. While unable to use magic, he was able to make various potions, which he mainly used to play tricks on others.

During those days, I had just started gaining a reputation as a great spell caster; my beard wasn't even past my neck. And one fateful day, I was walking down a dirt road, when suddenly, a puff of black smoke burst in front of me. I then heard a strange, almost disembodied voice threatening me.

“Bearded traveler,” the voice exclaimed. “Give up all your possessions and no harm shall come to thee! But should you refuse, I shall devour your immortal soul!”

“My my, that’s quite a fancy trick,” I said.

“I am not to be joked with,” the voice continued.

I then let out a little blast of light, which caused the voice to shout out in shock. I saw the origin of the voice was coming from a tree. Out from the tree fell a tiny earth pony; the very same earth pony I just described in the last paragraph so I feel no need to remind you of what he looked like. He shook his head, which caused a lot of dust to escape from his mane, which was wild and unkempt.

“What’d you have to go and to that for,” the colt exclaimed.

“It’s not very nice playing pranks on ponies,” I said to the lad.

“Colts gotta eat, mister,” he exclaimed.

It was at this moment, I noticed this colt had no horn.

“How did you create that illusion,” I asked. “You appear to be an earth pony.”

“I am an earth pony,” said the colt. “What of it? Think that just because I don’t have some stupid horn, I can’t make my own magic?!”

“Actually, I was mighty impressed by that,” I told him.

“Seriously?” asked the colt.

“Where’d you learn that?” I asked.

“I just read about it in a book,” he said.

“And you understood it?” I asked.

“Well obviously,” he said.

“I actually created that spell,” I said.

“Yeah right,” he said.

“You saw the bit of magic I just did, didn’t you,” I said. “Well that’s merely a fraction of what I can do.”

“So that makes you a unicorn,” he asked defensively.

“I suppose it is hard to tell with the big hat on,” I said.

I then levied my hat a little above my head, to reveal my horn; this caused the colt to step back a little in fear.

“What’s wrong,” I asked.

“I haven’t had any good experience with unicorns,” he said. “They all treat me like I don’t matter.”

“Well, I’m not one of those unicorns,” I said. “I don’t care where somepony comes from. It’s inside that counts. We all have similar origins after all. And I’ve never come across an earth pony who’s able to use potions.”

“So what?” he said.

“So, this is quite a discovery,” I said. “What if I offered you a chance to be my student?”

“Seriously?” he asked.

“I’m very serious,” I said. “I think you have real potential, and it should be nurtured properly. Although I would have to ask your parents for permission.”

“I don’t have a family,” he said, frowning with his ears flopping back.

“Oh, I see,” I said. “Well then I will take care of you, and teach you the ways of magic the best I can.”

I could tell looking at this small colt, that he was reluctant to believe me. Clearly, he hadn’t had a lot of great experiences dealing with older ponies.

“I promise that I will not betray you,” I said. “Star Swirl the Bearded is a pony of his word.”

“Who’s that?” he asked.

“Me, I’m Star Swirl,” I said.

“Then why did you refer to yourself like that?” he asked.

“Sometimes ponies will refer to themselves in the third pony,” I said.

“Grownups are weird,” he said.

“I suppose they can be,” I said with a chuckle. “And, what should I call you?”

“Most call me Ash Cloud,” he said.

“It’s a unique name,” I said. “And with some training, it’s a name that will become known throughout the land as one of the great potion makers.”

“You really think so?” exclaimed Ash Cloud.

“I know so,” I exclaimed.

The colt then jumped around in excitement at the idea of becoming famous for potion making. Ash Cloud was my first student; but he wouldn’t be my last. I only wish I could’ve done more to help him.

Comments ( 2 )

sombra being a student of starswirl very interesting, would explain how his horn is different from most unicorns

1975299 Well, that's the key. it implies it. Think of it as an alternate timeline.

Login or register to comment