• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 2,523 Views, 39 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 8: Maiden Voyage - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor, Twilight, Derpy, and the others arrive on a luxury spaceship in 4376 and soon find that there are some unwanted guests on board.

  • ...
3
 39
 2,523

Rarity Opens a Box

Chapter 6: Rarity Opens a Box

Viewing Hall 11, The Queen Philippine, Orbit of Denum, Space, Winter, 4376 C.E.

Lee decided to stay behind in the mess hall to look after the other passengers, as well as the unconscious Applejack, while the Doctor, Twilight, Derpy, John, and the others made their way to viewing hall 11. The Doctor wasn't completely sure about what was waiting for him there or if it could even help him stop Monstrume, but that single vision he had had right before returning to his body was enough to give him an ounce of hope for victory. They passed by lots of passengers and several fire spirits on their way to the viewing hall. Thankfully, there weren't any massive groups of spirits so the spirits they came across were easy to ward off. Eventually, they found their way back to the viewing hall. The room was illuminated by the planet Denum and its many stars. The lights of the TARDIS also shone somewhat bright in the slightly-dark hallway. There was a patch of air close to the window that looked like the surface of a rippling pond.

"What is that?" asked Spike.

"A rift in space. I have a feeling that it leads to where we need to go," said the Doctor.

"And that would be?" Twilight asked.

"The center of Denum. You see, as I explained, there never was an invasion of aliens. There was only one alien."

"This Monstrume fellow. He must have incredible psychic powers," said John.

"He does. Ever since I returned from the core, I can feel his presence all around us. He's extremely powerful."

"Did he ever mention his reasons for doing all of this?"

"Something must have happened over one hundred years ago on Denum that made Monstrume despise all other forms of life. John, do you have any knowledge of what happened?"

"Not really. I never was into history all that much."

"It's not like it would have been hard to do some research!" Twilight scolded.

"So what do we do now?" Rarity asked.

"We go through the rift and face Monstrume...that is if he's on the other side," said the Doctor.

"What else could be on the other side?" Fluttershy asked.

"Pretty much anything else in the universe."

"So walking through that is pretty much a crap-shoot," said John.

"Pretty much."

"And you're going to walk straight into it?"

"Pretty much."

"Are you insane?!"

"Pretty much."

"Is pretty much all you can say? And if you say pretty much as a response to that then I swear I'm going to break your jaw!"

"I think I'll be on my way then!"

"Doctor!" Derpy cried.

"Yes?"

"We can't just let you walk through that rift by yourself!"

"Well I was expecting somepony to come along with me. Not all of you though. I don't want to risk all of your lives anymore than I already have."

"I'll go!" said Twilight and Derpy together.

"No, Twilight! Your friends need you here! I can go help the Doctor!" said Derpy.

"No, Derpy! The Doctor needs me! I need to help him!" Twilight argued.

"But what about your friends?!"

"I can only help my friends by helping the Doctor and they're your friends too, Derpy!"

"Oh will you two stop fighting over the Doctor like little fillies?!" Rarity snapped. Twilight and Derpy fell silent. "I'll go! Besides, I have the box that supposedly is going to solve all our problems."

"But!" Derpy cried.

"No buts about it! I'm going and that's final!"

"I guess it's settled then," said the Doctor as Rarity marched forward with her box.

"So what are we supposed to do?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Sit back and wait for us to finish the job. Make sure to not get turned into a burnt marshmallow while we're gone!"

"Thanks. We'll try not to let that happen," Spike sighed. "Be careful, Rarity."

"Be careful, Doctor," said Derpy.

"Both of you be careful," said Twilight as she looked between the Doctor and Rarity.

"We will," said the Doctor and Rarity together. And with that, the Doctor and Rarity passed through the dimensional rift.

Lair of Fire, The Core, Under the Crust, Denum, Winter, 4376 C.E.

Rarity felt her body stretch and compress at least twenty times before she and the Doctor arrived at their destination. The air was incredibly hot and Rarity could feel her mane drooping from the sweat coming out of her pores.

"How are you holding up?" the Doctor asked.

"I've felt better," Rarity groaned as she fanned herself with one of her hooves. The box felt somewhat heavier in her arm and she was tempted to rip it open right then and there.

"Why don't we wait a little while before opening it?"

"I guess. I just really want to know what's inside of it."

"We're both on the same page there, Rarity."

"So...do you recognize anything?"

"This certainly looks like the chamber Fluttershy and I visited but it's definitely different."

"So where is this crab thing you told us about?"

"He's around here somewhere. I can sense him."

Rarity felt that she could sense Monstrume too. The hairs on her body were standing up and the hot air around her seemed almost alive in a sense. A loud roar rocked the chamber around them and the ground cracked in some areas.

"Be strong, okay?" the Doctor said.

"I'll try my best. For my friends!" said Rarity.

"For our friends."

The Doctor and Rarity began to walk deeper into the lair of Monstrume.

Viewing Hall 11, The Queen Philippine, Orbit of Denum, Space, Winter, 4376 C.E.

Several minutes had passed since the Doctor and Rarity had disappeared into the dimensional rift. Derpy was getting worried. She wanted to jump in after them but she knew that she had to stay and wait. She knew the Doctor would make it out okay. He had saved Ponyville and he could save the Queen Philippine too.

"You alright, Derpy?" Twilight asked.

"I guess. I'm just a little worried about the Doctor," she replied.

"I am too."

"I can see that."

"It seems like we both care about the Doctor very much."

Twilight chuckled a bit and Derpy nodded in reply. She looked and saw that the others were paying no attention to them. They were too busy watching Denum spew geysers of lava into space.

"There's something about him that makes me feel happy inside, no matter what the situation brings," Derpy explained. "I haven't known him as long as you have, Twilight, but I still feel a connection of sorts with him."

"I guess I feel a connection with him too," Twilight said.

"Do you love him?"

"Huh?!"

"Do you love him, Twilight?"

"I...er...what about you, Derpy?"

"What?"

"Do you love him?"

"I...er...well-"

"Is anypony nervous?!" asked a familiar, hyper voice. Pinkie Pie sat down next to Twilight and Derpy. She was shaking violently. "There's no need to be nervous right? I mean the Doctor and Rarity are going to come back in one piece and everything on this ship is going to be saved! That's what's going to happen right? Right?! RIGHT?!"

"Are you okay, Pinkie?" Twilight asked even though she really didn't see a reason for doing so in the first place.

"Am I okay? Am I okay?! Of course I'm okay! I'm always okay! I'm happy! I'm fine! I'm relaxed! I'm tired!"

And with that, Pinkie fell asleep right in front of Twilight and Derpy.

"Pinkie Pie's so random!" Derpy exclaimed.

"Tell me about it!" said Twilight. The two mares laughed. The ship shook again and they quickly stopped laughing.

"Come on, Doctor! Come on, Rarity!" they whispered together. "Please hurry!"

Lair of Fire, The Core, Under the Crust, Denum, Winter, 4376 C.E.

They were getting close. Both the Doctor and Rarity could feel it. The air was hotter, the roars were louder, and practically all of their hairs were tingling with a mix of excitement and fear. They soon came to a massive chamber. It was at least a hundred times bigger than the chamber they had arrived in.

"This is it," said the Doctor as he came to a halt. "This is the chamber that Fluttershy and I spiritually stood in."

"That means that this Monstrume fellow...is extremely close," Rarity gulped.

"He's not just close. He's right underneath us."

And with that, the pool of lava in the center of the chamber exploded as the giant Denumian known as Monstrume Ignis Gigata rose from its heated depths. He glared at the Doctor and Rarity with his red eyes and gave a lustful smile with his sharp, fiery teeth.

"I see that you've officially arrived, Doctor," Monstrume cackled.

"I've come to make a final bargain with you. Leave the Queen Philippine and its inhabitants alone and we'll leave you in peace!" the Doctor stated.

"No! They must pay! They must BURN!"

"But why must they burn?! What did their ancestors do to you to make you loathe every other being in existence with such a ferocious passion?"

"The year was 4247! This planet was not as red nor as violent as it is today! It was a happy place! A place where my species could live in peace on the surface! Many species had come to our planet and had left next to no impact on its surface! I was a mere child when this world became a living hell! The other species have been too lenient about leaving their garbage around! They created too many party planets and left them all abandoned just so they could move on to the next one. Most of the party planets remained stationary in space. But there was one that continued to drift through space...all because those reckless imbeciles forgot to turn off the engine systems! EPX538 was its name! In the winter of 4247 it smashed into my planet! It didn't destroy it but it destroyed the surface! Nearly my entire race was wiped out! I, along with a few survivors, was forced to descend into the depths of the planet! I have lived here for the last 129 years! Forty-eight of those years have been spent alone! Those innocents up there in that ship must now pay for their ancestors' crimes against my planet!"

"But that's not fair! However reckless their ancestors were, they weren't planning to have EPX538 destroy the surface of your planet! Your planet was just in the wrong place at the wrong time...and it got caught in that party planet's path!" Rarity argued.

"Someone must pay! They need to pay! They need to burn!"

"Don't you see what's happened?! For over a hundred years you've kept that anger inside of you! It's driven you insane! Now you're trying to unleash it out on a bunch of innocents! Please, Monstrume! Stop this!"

"You don't understand! You'll never understand! You're one of them! Both of you are! You must burn! They must burn! Everything must burn!"

"We're trying to help you, Monstrume. If you continue this then we will have to stop you," said the Doctor calmly.

"Do you honestly believe you can stop me from seeking justice?!"

"I cannot tell you how many times I've heard beings from all walks of life say that to me. It's not justice that you're seeking, it's revenge. Revenge for a reckless mistake that a series of party-loving creatures made over a century ago. It's time to let that anger go, Monstrume. This is your last chance. Stop now...or my friend and I will stop you."

"I will never let go!"

"Very well."

Rarity was about to open the box when Monstrume sent a sea of fire raining down on the two of them. The Doctor jumped to the side and pulled out his Sonic Screwdriver. As the fire fell down towards him, a small force field came out of the Screwdriver.

"You can do force fields too now?!" he gasped as the shield disappeared. Rarity ran away from the fire as she attempted to open the box. She tripped on a jagged rock and the box fell out of her grasp. It rolled along the ground until it came to a halt a few yards from the lava pool.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Rarity groaned as Monstrume bore down on her.

The Doctor, meanwhile, aimed his Screwdriver at the lava and said, "Let's see what else you can do!"

He activated the Screwdriver and arms of lava began grabbing onto Monstrume's sides. Monstrume proceeded to fight the arms as Rarity made her way towards the box. The Doctor continued to distract the giant Denumian with the Screwdriver. He decided to use this time to test out of the Screwdriver's new abilities. He caused some rocks to fall, caused some lava to rise and latch onto Monstrume like glue, and even shot a lightning bolt at the crab. Rarity eventually made it to the box but the Denumian was already bearing down on her. A plume of fire was forming in the back of his massive throat. A mixture of tears and sweat was pouring down Rarity's face as she tore at the box. Suddenly, there was a huge explosion of cold air and Rarity found herself flying back. A cloud of ice flew out of the bag and began flying around Monstrume, eating away at him like acid. Some of the particles in the cloud flew down into the lava and began to ice it over.

"What is all that?!" Rarity asked as the Doctor helped her get up. The Doctor examined the cloud with his Screwdriver and smiled.

"Brilliant! Just brilliant! That cloud's made up of tiny microchips! They're designated to act upon one specific command!" he said.

"And that is?"

"Make everything as cold as hell!"

Monstrume screamed as ice began forming all over his body. Sparks of fire fell down towards the Doctor and Rarity but they dodged the falling debris successfully. As Monstrume proceeded to fall victim to the ice microchips, the cavern began to collapse around them.

"I think it would be a good idea for us to get out of here before the pressure crushes us like tin cans!" said the Doctor. Rarity noticed something sticking out of the remnants of the box and reached for it. It was a blue envelope. The Doctor grabbed Rarity and pulled her towards the exit. "We can read it later!"

The two ponies proceeded to make their way back to the dimensional rift as the chamber collapsed around them. Monstrume let out one final scream of anger as he was frozen and crushed to death simultaneously.

Viewing Hall 11, The Queen Philippine, Orbit of Denum, Space, Winter, 4376 C.E.

An army of fire spirits was attempting to break through the doors. The others were preparing to hold them off to the best of their abilities.

"Any time now, Doctor!" Twilight cried as the doors burst open. Fire spirits flew in a breakneck speeds. Suddenly, a large plume of fire shot off into space from Denum, causing the ship to shake violently. Derpy noticed that the dimensional rift was slowly closing.

"NO! DOCTOR! RARITY!" she cried. Another vibration sent everypony falling to the floor. The lights turned on and off and proceeded to flicker like strobe lights. The fire spirits screamed in agony as they dissipated into piles of red ash. As the dimensional rift closed, the Doctor and Rarity were seen flying through it. The rift closed with a soft pop and Denum's fire geysers proceeded to stop going off. The lights flickered back on all throughout the ship as power slowly began to return.

Everypony was silent for a moment as they tried to come to terms with what the hell had just happened. Twilight and Derpy ran to the Doctor and wrapped him up in a massive hug.

"I knew you would do it!" Derpy said.

"I never doubted you for a second!" said Twilight with a forced smile.

"I helped save the ship too, you know!" Rarity snapped. Spike ran up and hugged her.

"I knew you'd be able to do it, Rarity!" he said.

"Thank you, Spikey-wikey!"

"So I take it that you were successful in your mission," said John as he approached the Doctor. The Doctor broke free from Twilight and Derpy's grasp and nodded.

"It was nothing. All I had to do was destroy a lair, defeat a giant crab, and have Rarity unleash a swarm of ferocious ice microchips," said the Doctor.

"That's all?!" asked Pinkie Pie with a laugh.

"You were so brave! Both of you!" said Fluttershy. "I never would have been able to do what you two did!"

"Of course you would have, Fluttershy!" said Rarity. "You've stood up to dragons, stared down a cockatrice, have taken care of countless animals, and have been able to keep my sister and her friends under control! You definitely could have done what the Doctor and I did!"

"Thank you, Rarity!"

"Whatcha got there?" asked Rainbow as she pointed towards the envelope in Rarity's hoof.

"Oh this? I found this in the box after the microchips were let loose," Rarity replied as she proceeded to open the envelope. There wasn't much on the letter. Rarity smiled as she read, "To the Doctor. You can thank me later. With love, Matilda."

"Matilda. I should have known," the Doctor sighed.

"So the mysterious mare who gave the box to me was Matilda all along?"

"Apparently."

"I wonder how she knew what to get and who to give it to," said Pinkie Pie.

"Well she is a time traveler and she doesn't exactly come across us in chronological order so I guess the Doctor's going to tell her past self the details at some point," said Twilight.

"Ugh! All this time travel talk hurts my brain!" said Spike.

"Wibbly wobbly timey wimey!" the Doctor exclaimed.

"So you do say that!" John said. "I knew it!"

The Doctor couldn't help but laugh. Seconds later, a record of John's voice began emitting from the speakers. It said, "Don't worry, dear passengers, the danger has passed. I repeat. The danger has passed."

"Well at least you don't have to worry about anymore problems with your maiden voyage," Derpy said to John with a wink.

"Thank Celestia!" he groaned as he fell back onto the floor.