• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 3,569 Views, 76 Comments

Stealing a Heart of Gold - Silentpegasus



A battle scared pegasus police officer get's transferred from the crime ridden streets of Manehattan to the small town of Ponyville.

  • ...
14
 76
 3,569

Chapter 9

Chapter 9.

Shield put on his black suit and examined himself in the mirror and smiled at the repair. He turned to the lavender and cream colored mare who were looking at him with a smile.

“Nice work Rose. Looks like it was never there.”

“Thanks, we’ll leave in a few minutes I still need to get my dress on.” she said with a smile.

“Same here.” Twilight said. Shield looked back at her with a raised eyebrow.

“You’re going too?” Twilight gave a nod. “With who?”

“Most of my friends are. I’m making sure everything goes smoothly, AJ is providing food and Pinkie Pie is.......doing what ever she does.” Shield nodded in agreement. As Rose went upstairs with her dress on her back Twilight sat down next to Shield with a nervous look i her eye.

“Alright Twilight what is it?”

“What’s what?”

“What’s the secret you’re keeping from me.” he said with a blank expression.

“I have no idea-”

“Twi, I was an interrogator for the MPD for two years. I can smell a lie from a mile away, the same lie that Rarity told me the other day.” Twilight looked confused.

“Refresh my memory.”

“Ugh, the other day in the library Rarity left saying that she needed to ‘get back to work’ and you played along with it as did Rainbow and Applejack.” Twilight’s brow was beginning to sweat. “Might as well tell me now, even though I think I’ve figured it out.”

“Umm.....I don’t-”

“Rarity has feelings for me doesn’t she?” Twilight looked at the stallion in surprise, Shield looked at the mare still holding his poker face. Twilight let out a sigh.

“Yeah, she does.”

“I appreciate the honesty. I would also appreciate it if you wouldn’t tell her that I know.”

“You want to tell her yourself?” she said with a smile.

“No. She can’t know.”

“WHAT WHY!?”

“You wouldn’t understand Twilight.”

“Try me.” she said as her glare narrowed.

“Let’s just say that the last pony who got close to me.....didn’t turn out so well.” he said in a sad tone.

“She broke your heart?” Twilight said in a sympathetic tone.

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“UGH! You are so cryptic! Maybe that’s why she left you in the first place!”

“She didn’t leave me Twilight.....she died.” he said in a blank tone. Twilight could feel tears beginning to form in her eyes, she wrapped her hooves around the dark stallion.

“I’m so sorry......I shouldn’t have-”

“If it’s anything I’ve learned in all my years of being a police officer it’s this, ‘If you have some-pony you care about then you keep them at a distance.’ I’ve told Rainbow this as well.” Twilight’s ears perked up at a realization.

“You said some-pony you care about. You have feeling for Rarity too!” Shield was about to protest but found it pointless.

“Yeah so what if I do? Doesn’t change anything.”

“Yes it does! This is your second chance to be happy!” Shield looked at the mare with a blank expression.

“Look Twi, I appreciate what you’re trying to do but-”

“No but’s! Either you tell her or I will!” Shield looked back at her in surprise at the mare’s bold statement.

“You wouldn’t!”

“I SO WOULD!” Shield gritted hit teeth at the mare.

“Fine, you win. I’ll see how things work out as long as you keep your mouth shut!”

“Deal.”

“Good. THAT GOES FOR YOU TOO ROSE!” the cream colored mare stumbled in surprise and started to fall down the stairs, Twilight caught her in a magical aura and set her down on her hooves. “How much did you hear?”

“All of it.” she said with a sheepish grin.

“Okay then you'll keep quiet too, deal?”

“Fine.”

“Thank you. Nice dress by the way.” he said as he looked at her ensemble, she was in a beautiful red dress that matched her mane which was held back by a hairband. She was also wearing a necklace with a glass rose in the center. (Pic)

“Thanks. Speaking of which Twilight you’d better get ready.”

“Sure hang on a second.” her horn glowed and the lavender mare vanished from sight, she returned wearing a light purple dress with a gold trim accompanied by a golden tiara holding back her hair that was styled in a bun. (Pic) “How do I look?”

“Nice, I’ll see you two there I gotta go pick up Rarity.” he said as he ventured out into the street.

“Wait!” Shield looked back at Twilight who tossed him his hat. “Good luck.”

“Thanks, I’m gonna need it.” he said as he put the hat on and ventured out into Ponyville. He had to duck behind a few buildings to avoid a certain blue mare that was still on the hunt. As he got in front of Carousel Boutique he let out a heavy sigh. Shield opened the door and found that the shop was in utter chaos. “What they hey happened happened in here?” he looked at the top of the stairs to see Rarity in a red dress with matching boots and bow on her back. Her hair was straightened and was being held by a silver tiara with an amethyst gem in the center. Around her neck were two strings of dazzling white pearls. (Pic) Shield’s jaw dropped at the mare’s beauty, she trotted up to him with a nervous look on her face.

“Do you like it?” she asked as she braced herself for the criticisms.

“You look amazing.” he said with a smile. Rarity blushed at his compliment.

“Thank you darling, you’re not so bad yourself.” she said as she eyed his ensemble. “I had no idea you had such style, nice touch with the bow tie.” she said with a grin. Shield nodded and held the door open for her.

“Shall we?”

“Lets.” the two ponies walked through town, Shield pulled his hat down to try and hide his face from a few mares. “What’s wrong darling?”

“I turned down a pack of mares earlier today and it looks like they’re still on the prowl. Luckily they don’t seem to recognize me in this outfit.” Rarity looked at him in surprise.

“Who did you turn down?”

“Some unicorn mare.....Colgate I think her name was.” Rarities jaw dropped.

“May I ask why?” Shield looked at the mare with a confused look on his face.

“What do you mean why? I said I was going with you and I meant it.”Rarity grinned at his response. “I’d take a lot more than a mare offering me some under the covers action to make me break a promise.” Rarity gave him a quick peck on the cheek which caused him to blush profusely.

“That’s for keeping your promise.” she said with a grin. “Looks like we’re here.” Shield snapped out of the shock to see the park lit up with light’s hanging by the tree branches and canopy’s were set up above the buffet, that was being run by a familiar orange mare. The two trotted over and greeted her. “Good evening Applejack.”

“Howdy Rarity what brings you..” she then recognized the dark stallion standing next to her unicorn friend. “Wow Shield ah barely recognized you in that fancy get up.”

“Thanks, no dress for you?”

“No way no how. Ah hate getting all dressed up and what not.”

“I know the feeling.” the ponies were interrupted by Rose and Comet. Comet looked at her partner in amazement.

“Wow, look who got dressed up.” she said with a giggle. “But what’s with the Fedora?”

“Fedora’s are-” he was cut off by the cream colored mare.

“Let me guess, Fedora’s are cool?”

“No, Bow Ties are cool, Fedora’s are drop dead sexy.” he said as he tipped his hat.

“Agreed.” Rarity said with a wink. The four ponies made their way through the crowd and found a table to sit at. They were joined by Twilight and Applejack they began to talk and joke around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back at the hospital Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle were waiting in the lobby for their visitor passes. Rainbow looked down at Sweetie Belle who had a sad look on her face.

“What’s wrong kid?”

“I worried that she’ll not want to be my friend anymore.”

“What? Why would you think that?”

“I broke a Pinkie Promise that I made her.”

“I’m sure what ever you did she’ll forgive you for it.” she said as she put a hoof on the fillies shoulder. The nurse trotted over to them and gave them their visitor passes. The ponies then made their way to Scootaloo’s room, they walked in on her reading the Daring Do book Dash left her. “Enjoying the book Squirt?”

“Yeah! I’m up to the sand pit trap.”

“Oh that chapter is so awesome! Sweetie Belle is with me by the wa,y she wanted to-” she was cut off by Scootaloo slamming the book closed and glaring at the white unicorn who was avoiding eye contact. Rainbow looked at the fillies and started to back out of the room. “I gotta go to the bath room, I’ll be right back.” she said as she left the hospital room. Sweetie Belle trotted over to her friend with a sad look on her face.

“Look Scootaloo I-” she was cut off by the orange filly wrapping her in tear filled a hug.

“Thanks for breaking a promise.” Scootaloo said as she broke the hug.

“Your not mad?”

“Well I was at first. But then I realized that you broke it for a good reason.”

“Well yeah, I care more about you then some stupid promise.” she said as she looked back at her friend with a smile. Rainbow looked through the window and a tear of joy ran down her face. She decided to let the girls have their moment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the Park Colgate managed to slip into the park unnoticed. She began to weave through the crowd and duck under tables as she searched for her target. Meanwhile Shield and Rarity were chatting with their friends, suddenly a white mare with an electric blue mane came hit a switch and the sound system came to life.

“HELLO PONYVILLE! I’M A ABOUT TO LAY DOWN SOME FRESH BEAT’S!” the speakers boomed to life, ponies began to dance. Shield and Rarity stayed at the table and looked at each other with a blush.

“Do you want to dance?” Shield asked in a low tone.

“I’d love to.” Shield took her by the hoof and they entered the dance floor. After the music had died down the group of ponies sat down to rest. “I didn’t know you could dance Shield.”

“I had to spend three weeks undercover in a dance studio. I guess some things stuck.” he said as he sipped his drink. The mares threw a wink at Rarity who began to giggle, Shield then noticed that a familiar and an annoyed looking blue unicorn mare wearing a bright blue dress was approaching them. “Need something Colgate?” he said in a stern tone.

“You chose that whorse over me?” she said with an angry look on her face. The group cast an icy glare at her, Applejack started to get to her hooves but Shield raised a hoof stopping her action. Shields eyes narrowed as he looked at the mare.

“Hey calm down! I really don’t feel like arresting you tonight but I will if you continue to be a thorn in my side.” the mare scoffed at the threat.

“Arrest me? For what, I haven’t broken a law.”

“Actually you did. This afternoon you shot a spell at me, that’s grounds for attempted assault on an officer. Which will lead to nice cozy prison cell, a heavy fine and suspension of your dentistry license. So I suggest you apologize to my date, back the buck off and enjoy the rest of your evening away from us. Got it?” Colgate looked at him with fear starting to fill her eyes, she turned around and left the group of ponies who all had a look of surprise on their faces. “Sorry about that ladies.”

“Don’t be! I’ve wanted to tell her off for years.” Applejack said as she gave him a pat on the back. Rarity was still dumbstruck at what just happened, Twilight gave her a nudge that snapped her back to reality.

“You.....you defended me.”

“Of coarse. Why wouldn’t I?” he said with a smile. Suddenly a jazz song started playing over the speakers, Shield looked over to see an annoyed white mare glaring at a charcoal earth pony with a cello along with a full band. They began to play a song that sounded like this. Shield looked at the white mare with a grin. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

“Of corse darling.” Rarity got to her hooves and followed him to the gazebo

“A little privacy please!” he said as he picked up an apple and tossed it into a nearby bush. He heard a pony say ‘ouch’, he then saw a lavender, green and cream colored mare get out of the bushes. Applejack came over and herded the pack of mares away from the two ponies, he gave her a nod who returned the gesture. Shield looked back at Rarity who rolled her eyes at their actions.

“Sorry about my friends, they’re just curious.” she said with a blush.

“It’s fine.”

“What did you want to talk about?” she said with a nervous look on her face. Shield breathed a heavy sigh.

“Look, I’m no good at this sort of thing so I’m just gonna come right out and say it.” Rarity could feel her heart jump a beat. “RarityI think you’re smart, funny and beautiful.” Rarity could barely control her excitement. “But, if we decide to do this then I need you to know that you’re taking a big risk, a risk that can pose to be life threatening.” Rarities heart sank at this.

“What do you mean by risk?” Shield breathed out another sigh.

“Back in Manehattan I was dating this mare, I was pretty established by this time in my career. Some thugs tried to get to me through her.” he said barely holding back tears. “I’ve known how you’ve felt about me for a while. I was trying to keep you at a distance for your protection.” Rarity put a hoof to her mouth. “I did that because...I care about you. I understand that now you know the risk that you wouldn’t-” he was cut off by the white mare pressing her lips against his. Shield was shocked at the mares action, he didn’t fight it. As she broke the kiss she looked back at the stallion who had a surprised look on his face.

“Does that take care of any doubts?” she said with a weak grin. Shield brought her into a hug.

“Definitely.” he said as he kissed her again. He heard a faint awwe coming from a tree, Shield picked up another apple and threw it into branches, causing the green mare to lose her grip and fall to the ground. “Come out!” he barked, soon the other two mares came out from their hiding places and trotted forward with guilty looks on their faces. “Entertained?”

“A little.” Comet said with a sheepish grin.

“Oh you guys are so cute together!” Rose said as she gave them a hug. Applejack then trotted up to the group with an annoyed look on her face.

“Sorry Shield, ah turned mah back for two seconds and Twilight used her magic to make all of them disappear.”

“It’s quite alright darling.” Rarity said with a smile.

“So you two are...” Shield gave a smile and a nod. “Well ah’m mighty happy for y’all, how about a toast?”

“I’m in!” Shield said as he raised his hoof, the other mares followed suit and began to congratulate the new couple. The party started to die down and ponies began to leave the park and head home. Rarity and Shield did the same, as the two ponies made their way inside they were greeted by a sleeping cyan mare and orange filly on the couch, Sweetie Belle heard the door open and rushed to their side.

“Hey Shield, hey sis.” the fillies outburst caused Rainbow Dash to stir. She looked over to see the two ponies standing in the doorway. She grinned as she trotted over to the ponies.

“Hey you two, have a good time?”

“Yeah. it was great.” Shield said with a smile.

“The night’s not over yet darling.” Rarity said as she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, causing the dark stallion to blush. Rarity trotted past her friends, as she did she brushed her tail underneath the stallions chin and made her way upstairs. Rainbow and Sweetie Belle looked back at the stallion with a wide grin.

“Keep your mouths shut!” he said in a flat tone.

“So you two are-”

“Yes.” Sweetie Belle couldn’t contain her excitement any more and hugged the stallion. Rainbow approached him and grabbed him by his suit.

“Hurt her and I swear to Celestia I’ll buck you into Appaloosa so fast you won’t even have time to say ouch!” she said as she raised her other hoof close to his face. “Understand?”

“Cr-crystal.” he said to the frightening mare as she let go of his suit.

“Cool, I’ll see you guys tomorrow. Scoot’s and I gotta get home.” she said as she trotted over to the couch and carefully put the sleeping filly on her back. Shield opened the door for them, as he did a familiar blue mare was standing on the other side.

“Look Colgate I said-” he was cut off as he looked at the mare closely. Small patches from her mane were ripped, she had a black eye and her dress was torn. “Colgate are you okay?” she began to cry and collapsed on the ground. Shield hoisted the mare onto his back and looked back at the shocked ponies. “Rainbow call Comet and tell her to meet me at the hospital. Sweetie Belle tell Rarity what happened and to call the police.” the filly ran upstairs to fetch her sister, Rainbow trotted over to the phone and began dialing. Shield took flight and started to race towards the hospital.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours Earlier.

Colgate was making her way back to her home after being told off by the inspector, she wasn’t that pissed at him, but she was extremely irritated that he chose Rarity over her. The mare turned around to face a noise coming from the darkness, she shrugged and was looking for her keys when she felt a hoof wrap around her neck and mouth. She tried to scream for help but felt that the hoof covering her mouth was wrapped in a cloth that had an odd scent to it. As she was dragged into the alleyway she recognized the scent, she had used it almost every in her office; anesthetic. Colgate tried to fight back but felt her vision fading, she could feel the darkness beginning to envelope her, she gave one final attempt, then everything faded to black.

Author's Note:

I'd like to thank Shadow Bolt for finding the awesome pic of Rarity.