• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 3,568 Views, 76 Comments

Stealing a Heart of Gold - Silentpegasus



A battle scared pegasus police officer get's transferred from the crime ridden streets of Manehattan to the small town of Ponyville.

  • ...
14
 76
 3,568

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Shield was awoken by the sunlight pouring through the hospital rooms window, he awoke to see Rarity, Rainbow and Comet looking at him with a smile. As he sat up he let out a groan of discomfort, he looked to his left to se that Scootaloo was still sound asleep.

“Morning.” he breathed out.

“Hey look who’s finally up.” Rainbow said with a smile. “Bout time I was getting so bored!” she complained.

“Rainbow don’t be so rude! Shield is still recovering, show some control.” she said in a snooty voice.

“Sheesh, calm down Rarity didn’t mean to upset your-” she was cut off by Rarity giving her a stare that could kill a dragon. “Your roommate.” she said with a grin.

“Did you three need something?” he asked as he looked at the mare’s in confusion. Comet stepped forward with a grin on her face.

“I just stopped by to tell you that Cloud Shocker is getting forty-five to life.” Shield let out a satisfied laugh. “And to give you these.” she withdrew a white envelope and threw it on the bed Shield picked it up and read the letter, he let out an annoyed groan.

“What’s up?” Rainbow asked. Shield began to read the letter.

“It’s an invitation to the Ponyville Police-pony’s ball, and with two ticket’s. Great.” he said in a sarcastic tone. The ponies stared at the stallion who had an annoyed look on his face. He turned to his partner with a raised eyebrow. “You want em?”

“No thanks I’ve already got mine and before you think about ripping those up, the Chief said that if you don’t show up then he’ll suspend you for three weeks.” she said in a teasing tone. Shield let out a groan of frustration.

“I HATE event’s like these!” Rarity looked at him in surprise.

“Why? Dances are so much fun, ponies all dress up having a good time, dancing, chatting and the list goes on.” Rarity said with a smile. Something clicked in the back of Rainbow’s mind, she put on a sly grin and trotted over to them.

“Well Geez Rarity if you like it so much then why don’t you just go with him?” Rarity’s face turned bright red as she glared at the cyan mare. Shield rolled the idea around in his head for a moment.

“Not a bad idea. How about it Rarity, want to go?” Rarity’s face turned bright red, she felt her heart stop beating, and began to faint. Rainbow managed to prop her back up on to her hooves.

“Y-yes. I’d love to go as your date.” she said barely holding back her excitement.

“Okay then. When is this thing anyway Comet?”

“Tonight, 8:00pm at the park.”

“Terrific.” he said in a low grumble. “Well it’s 9:00am. now so I got the day off.” he said as he got to his hooves. “I’ll pick you up at around 7:45pm. That okay Rarity?” the white mare was in a dream like state as she snapped back to reality she nodded at him. Shield trotted over to the now awake Scootaloo and gave her a quick hug. As soon as he left the room Rarity started to hop in excitement.

“About time you did something!” Scootaloo barked.

“What do you mean darling?”

“I’m talking about you and Shield! I mean come on, It’s so obvious that you like him!” the filly said as she glared at the mares.

“I know right!” Rainbow said as she trotted over to the filly and hugged her. “Ready to go squirt?” she said as she put a hoof on the fillies head. Scootaloo beamed at the words.

“Yes I-” they were cut off by a doctor entering the room.

“I’m sorry Ms. Dash but Scootaloo can’t leave yet. We still need to run a few test’s on her. She will be released this afternoon.” he said as he examined the fillies chart.

“Ugh! It’s so boring here, what am I supposed to do?” Scootaloo whined. Rainbow pulled out a hard cover book.

“I figured this might happen so I brought you this.” Scootaloo looked at the book.

“Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Statue.”

“This is the same book I read when I was cooped up here, I figured you needed it right now more than I do.” Scootaloo hugged the mare and smiled.

“Thanks, this’ll keep me busy. Plus it looks like you might need to help Rarity over there.” Rainbow looked back at her white friend to see her hyperventilating and Comet trying to calm her down.

“Good call Squirt. I’ll see you this afternoon.” she said as she trotted over to the white mare and helped her friend to her hooves. “C’mon Rarity we need to get you ready for your date.” she said as the three mares trotted out of the room with smiles on their faces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in Ponyville Shinning Shield entered Carousel Boutique to see Sweetie Belle sitting on the couch reading a magazine. When she saw Shield she immediately rushed over to him and gave him a hug.

“Shield thank Celestia! How’s Scootaloo doing?”

“She’s fine.......and she knows that you told me about her injuries.” he said with a weak smile.

“WHAT? You promised you wouldn’t tell!”

“I didn’t she figured it out on her own.” Sweetie Belle had a sad look on her face, Shield put a hoof on her shoulder and looked down at her. “Relax I already talked with her and I explained that you did the right thing.”

“So...she’s not mad.”

“Well she’s was at first, but then I calmed her down and I think that she understands. The only way to know for sure is to talk to her.” he said as he smiled at the small filly.

“What are you doing back here anyway?”

“I need to get my suit for tonight.”

“Why?”

“Your sister and I are going to the Police-ponies ball tonight.” he said as he walked passed the filly. Sweetie Belle’s began to smile at the news.

“REALLY?”

“Yeah she’s a friend, I have to go and I had an extra ticket. I figured some-pony should have fun at my expense.” Sweetie felt her excitement slip away.

“What do you mean you have to go?”

“The Chief said if I didn’t then he’d suspend me from duty for three weeks. I figured one night of annoyance is less painful than three weeks of sheer boredom.” he said as he trotted up the stairs. Sweetie Belle followed him into his room.

“Hey just a really quick question, what do you see my sister as?”

“Rarity? I see her as a trusted friend and roommate. Why?”

“Just curious.” Shield withdrew his suit and put it in his bag. The two ponies then heard the door of the boutique open, Sweetie Belle poked her head from around the corner to see her sister and the other two mares, she went back inside and faced the dark stallion. “It’s my sister with Comet and Rainbow. You’d better get out of here quick!”

“Why?”

“Rarity will want to dress you herself for the dance.” Shield’s eyes shrank at the thought. He trotted over to the window and opened it.

“Thanks Sweetie. I’ll see you later.” he said as he flew out of the building with the suit secured on his back. As soon as Sweetie Belle closed the window she rushed back into her own room hoping Rarity would go past her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back out on the street’s of the small town Shield was trotting down through town catching glances from some of the other ponies until he was approached by a pack of mares who were giggling to one another. “Can I help you ladies?” he said with a smile. One mare stepped forward she was a unicorn, light blue coat with a deep blue and white mane, she started to giggle to herself.

“Yeah I heard that you have an extra ticket to the Police ponies ball and I was wondering if you could take me.” She said with a blush. Shield scratched the back of his mane searching for the right words.

“Thanks for the offer Miss...”

“Colgate, I’m the dentist.”

“Right, well thanks for the offer Colgate, but I already have a date.” the blue mare then drew closer to him so that her snout was next to his ear.

“Oh, c’mon surely you can reconsider. I’ll make it worth your while.” she said in a lustful voice. Shield backed away from the mare with a blank stare.

“Sorry, ma’am but like I said I already have a date.” he then took flight into the sky, as he did he saw a magic bolt wiz past him. He looked back to see the mare glaring at him with her horn glowing, the other unicorn mares started to do the same. Shield took out his badge and protected himself from the volley of spells, he notice that some pegasi have taken to the skies and began charging at him. He put his suit in his mouth and sped away from the scene. He ducked into a narrow alleyway and proceeded to weave in and out of it. He looked back to see some pegasi in hot pursuit, he flew straight at a wall and shot up at the last second the other pegasi pulled up too late and collided with the building. Shield then doubled back to the center of town towards the library. Once there he pounded on the door, as soon as Spike opened it he galloped inside and closed the door behind him with a slam. He looked over to see Twilight and Rose staring at him. “Oh good it’s you guys.” he heard mares knocking on the door he then hid behind the desk. Spike opened the door to reveal three mares.

“Hey Spike, have you seen Shield around here?”

“Umm...” he glanced over at the stallion who was shaking his head and mouthing the word ‘no.’

“Sorry, haven’t seen him all day. I’ll let you know if I do.” the three mares turned around as Spike closed the door on them. Shield came out from his hiding place and breathed a sigh of relief.

“What was that all about?” Twilight asked.

“I turned a mare down for the Police-ponies ball, now she and her pals are playing cat and mouse with me.” he said as he sat down.

“Who did you turn down?” Rose asked as she brought him some water.

“Some dentist named Colgate. Why?”

“Oh boy, she has a tendency to pull this kind of stunt.” she said with a groan. “Why did you turn her down?”

“I already have a date.”

“Who?”

“Rarity.” Twilight and Rose both had a massive smile on their faces, while Spike had the look of utter horror.

“Why did you ask her?” Spike yelled.

“I had to go, Rarity wanted to go and I figured some-pony should have a good time there.” Rose and Twilight looked at him in confusion.

“What do you mean you have to go?” Rose asked.

“The Chief told Comet, to tell me that if I don’t go then he’ll suspend me from duty for three weeks.” he said in a low grumble. Twilight and Rose let out an annoyed sigh.

“So what are you doing here then?”

“I need a place to lay low until it’s time for me to pick up Rarity.”

“Why not just stay at the boutique?”

“No good, Rarity, Rainbow and Comet are over there and Sweetie Belled told me that Rarity would dress me for the event.”

“Yup sound’s like something she’d do.”

“So it’s cool if I stay here for a while?”

“Sure, it’s a slow day today anyway.” Twilight said with a smile.

“Do you have a suit?” Rose asked.

“Yeah it’s here in my bag.” he said as he looked over to the saddlebag.

“Well let’s see it then.”

“Okay give me a second.” he opened the bag to reveal a jet black jacket with grey stripes running down the front and back, accompanied by a red bow tie and a grey fedora with a red band around it. The mares looked at the stallion in amazement. “How do I look?”

“Great, you clean up well. But what’s with the bow tie?” Rose said witha giggle.

“Bow ties are cool.”

“Hold on a second.” Twilight said as she eyed a small cut in the fabric. “What happened here?” she asked as she eyed the cut. Shield’s eyes shrank at the memory of the last time he wore the ensemble.

“This suit is old and a tad worn out, I was going to ask Rarity to fix it for me but it slipped my mind.” Rose trotted over to him and looked at the cut.

“Nothing too major, I could probably fix it for you.” she said with a smile.

“You sure? I don’t want it to bother-”

“It’s no problem, plus I have a few hours to kill myself. I have my outfit picked out and ready to go.” she said with a smile. “Do you have a sewing machine Twi?”

“Yeah let me get it out.” Twilight trotted over to the closet and levitated the machine over to her desk.

“Hey Twilight do you mind if I take a nap, those hospital beds do not pass in the comfortable department.”

“Sure go right ahead.” she said with a smile.

“Thanks.” he said as he trotted over to the couch and began to snooze. As he did Spike cast him an icy stare. Rose was setting up the sewing machine when she realized something.

“Oh great.”

“What’s up?”

“There’s no thread, I need to get more.” she said as she got to her hooves.

“Spike can you run over to Carousel Boutique and get some thread for Rose?” Twilight asked.

“Why do I have to do it?” he said in a grumble.

“What’s wrong? I thought you liked going over there?”

“I do but.......never mind.”

“I’ll go too, I know what type of thread I’m looking for. Plus I need to stretch my hooves.” she said as she and the dragon trotted out of the library.

Who does that guy think he is, asking out Rarity like that? and to what a stupid dance. Ugh! this stinks, why I have half a mind to- he stopped as he bumped into the door of the boutique Rose entered it to find it in total disarray.

”What happened in here?” she then saw Sweetie Belle descending the stair case. “Hey Sweetie Belle, looks like Rainbow pulled a sonic rain-boom in here.”

“Sorry about the mess, my sister is having some-” a loud crash came from upstairs. “difficulties deciding on what to wear for the dance tonight.” Spike let out a low grumble at the sound and waited outside. Soon Comet joined their conversation. “Has she picked anything yet?”

“No, I swear for a pony who has so many outfit’s....Oh hey Rose need something?”

“I need some black thread to fix Shields suit.” she said in cheery tone.

“Oh sure just give me a second. Where is he anyway? I haven’t seen him since he left the hospital.” she said as she started to look through the spools of thread.

“He’s laying low at the library.”

“Why?”

“He turned down Colgate and a bunch of mares, now they’re hunting him down. You won’t say anything will you?”

“Of course not, let me just....here we are.” she levitated the spool over to her mare friend. “So does he look nice?”

“Yeah the suit fit’s him well. I’d better get back and patch it up.” she then started to look around the room for her purple companion. “Where’s Spike?”

“I saw him go outside, he probably didn’t want to hear about the dance. Considering he’s got a crush on Rarity and all.” Sweetie Belle answered. Something clicked in the back of Rose lucks’ mind.

“Uh-oh.” Rose then bolted out the door with the spool in her mouth, hoping she could make it back to the library in time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the library Shield was stirred by a loud knock at the door, he looked out the window in horror to see almost every mare in Ponyville was waiting outside. He jumped away from the window and looked behind him to see Twilight descending the stair case.

“Who’s at the door?”

“An army of mares!”

“What!? How did they find you?”

“I don’t know! Never mind that you have to hide me!” he said as he grabbed the mare by her shoulders.

“There aren’t a lot of hiding spot’s here.”

“You’re a unicorn! Use your magic!”

“Okay hold still!” her horn began to glow and the dark pegasus began to vanish from her sight.

“Did it work?” a voice called out.

“Yeah, I think so.” she said as she trotted over to the door and opened it to see Colgate glaring at her. “Hey, Colgate can I help you with something?”

“Drop the act Twilight, I know that Shield is here!”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” she said with a nervous grin, Colgate and the other mares barged in and began to look around. Shield quietly began to fly up to the ceiling. He put a hoof to his mouth to muffle his heavy breathing. Colgate then noticed the sewing machine and black suit on the desk.

“Who’s suit is that then?”

“That....belongs to......my brother! Yeah, it’s an old suit of his and I wanted to try and mend it.” she said holding the small smile. Rose then made her way through the pack of mares and made her way towards the lavender mare.

“Hey Twi I got that spool of thread for...”

“My brother’s suit.” she finished for her.

“Right, his suit.” he then turned to face the skeptical blue mare. “Hey Colgate what’s up?”

“Don’t play dumb, I know that Shield is here!”

“No he’s not. I just saw him fly over to the station.” she said in a blank tone. The blue mare raised an eyebrow. “He figured it’d be the best place to be, he is a cop y'know.” she said in a condescending tone.

“Good point.” she said as she proceeded to walk out of the library, she cast one final glance at the mares and exited the tree along with the pack of mares following close behind. As soon as they left Rose and Twilight let out a sigh of relief.

“Thank Celestia. You were able to hide him, where’s Shield anyway?”Rose asked as she looked around.

“I don’t know where-” they were cut off by a voice.

“I’m over here.”

“Where?”

“Hang on a second.” the mares heard hoof steps going towards the kitchen. They then saw a bag of flower being levitated, the mares then saw the white substance stick to the stallions outline. “Better?”

“Yeah, hold still.” Twilight’s horn began to glow and the stallion’s dark body became visible once again. The stallion looked down at the pile of flour on the floor.

“Sorry about that Twilight.”

“It’s fine, you’d better wash that stuff off before it starts to stick.” the dark stallion nodded and trotted upstairs and stepped into the bathroom. As soon as he was out of range Twilight turned to Rose with a confused look on her face. “Good thing you came when you did, I wasn’t going to last much longer with Colgate questioning me like that.”

“No problem, I’m impressed that you were able to make him invisible.”

“Just a spell I picked up.” she then started to look around the room. “Where’s Spike? I thought that he went with you.”

“He did and then he disappeared after I talked to Comet he was gone. I think that he was the one that told Colgate that he was here.” Twilight looked in shock at the mare’s info. “It makes sense, he does have crush on Rarity.” Twilight adverted her gaze and nodded at her logic.

“True, and hasn’t tried to get her attention since.....y’know.”

“Yeah..what’s it been? Two years?”

“Almost. I still can’t believe-” the two mares were cut off by Spike trying to sneak inside. Twilight and Rose glared at the dragon with an icy stare.

“Hey..what’s up?” he said with a nervous grin on his face. Twilight stepped towards the dragon holding the look on her face.

“Spike, did you tell Colgate that Shield was hiding here?” she said with a flat tone. Spike started to scratch his head in guilt.

“Um...it may have come up in conversation.” he said with a guilty smile.

“Spike! What were you thinking?” Twilight said as she stared at the dragon.

“Look I’m sorry it’s just that....” Twilight put a hoof on her assistant’s shoulder.

“Spike I know how you feel about Rarity, but you need to let her live her own life.”

“I know but....I don’t know anything about this guy. For all I know he could be a crazy!”

“Spike that idea is completely ridiculous. He’s an Inspector for the Police Department I'm pretty sure you have to be sane for that job. Now I want you to apologize to him as soon as he comes out of the shower.” she said in a cold tone. Spike was about to protest but found it pointless.

“Fine.” he said in a low tone. Twilight smiled at him as he went upstairs. Twilight then looked back at Rose with an uneasy look on her face.

“What’s up Twilight?” she said as she started to mend the dark suit.

“Even though what Spike did was wrong he still brings up a good point, we know next to nothing about Shield.” she said as she rubbed her chin with her hoof.

“Maybe I can ask Comet about him, they are partners after all.”

“Good idea. Maybe I can contact his old boss and see about those blacked out files.” she said as she began to clean up the flour on the floor.

Shield was standing in the shower, letting the warm water pour over him. He closed his eyes and relaxed his muscles, it had been a while since he’d freshened up. The warm water felt nice against his coat. He turned the water off and began to dry himself with the towel, he looked in the mirror, he put a hoof to his swollen left eye and grunted at the reflection of himself. As he trotted out of the bathroom he was stopped by Spike who had a guilty look on his face.

“Listen, sorry about telling Colgate that you were here and-” he was cut off by Shield raising a hoof.

“It’s fine.” he said flatly he trotted down stairs to see Rose stitching the suit. “Thanks again Rose.”

“No problem, although there is something odd here.” she said as she eyed the suit.

“What?”

“There appears to be a hardened substance here.”

“That’s dried blood.” he said in a flat tone. Rose and Twilight looked at him in surprise.

“Why is there-”

“I said that I’ve been hurt before.”

“What happened?” Twilight asked.

“I was out at a bar, some drunk stallion pulls a knife on a mare, I intervened. The End.” he said blankly.

“And you were stabbed?”

“More like, sliced. The blade was dull, barely left a scar.” he said as he parted his fur to reveal a small scar. Rose and Twilight both eyed the healed wound, Twilight looked closer to notice a large scar stretched across his chest.

“What about that big one?” she asked in an unsure voice. Shield let out a heavy sigh as the memories came rushing back to him.

“I don’t want to talk about that one.” he said as he let his fur go back to it’s normal place. He trotted over to the chair and sat down. Rose went back to work on his suit while Twilight finished cleaning up the rest of the flour.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back inside Carousel Boutique Comet, Rainbow Dash and Sweetie Belle were getting tired of Rarity’s never ending supply of dresses. She came out wearing a bright blue dress with a similar hat.

“What do you girls think? Too blue?”

“Rarity this is literally the 100th dress you’ve tried on! Just pick something!” Rainbow blurted out. Rarity

“Just pick something? JUST PICK SOMETHING!? One does not simply pick out a dress. I have to make sure the hat matches, that the contrast matches and that it doesn’t wrinkle!” she then put her hoof over her mouth and tears started to well in her eyes “WHAT IF HE DOESN’T LIKE IT!? I’ll end up alone for the rest of my life! OF ALL THE THINGS THAT COUD HAPPEN THIS IS THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THI-” Rainbow flew over to her and slapped her across her face. “Thank you Rainbow Dash, I needed that.” she said as she started to rub the sore spot.

“Anytime. Now listen Rarity we can spend the next eight hours sifting through the seemingly endless amount of dresses you have or you just pick awesome looking one!” Rarity thought for a moment.

“Well there is one dress I’ve stashed away but-”

“FINE! But this is the last dress got it!” Rarity nodded and went back into the closet, when she came back out she was wearing a stunning vibrant red dress that seemed to sparkle in the light. The mare’s jaws dropped at the spectacle. “I think we have a winner.” Rainbow glanced at the clock and realized she had to go. “I’ll see you gals later I gotta go get Scoot’s from the hospital.” she began to leave when Sweetie Belle blocked her.

“Can I come?”

“Sure thing kid, I bet Scoots would like to see you.”

“We’ll see about that.” she said under her breath. The two ponies left the boutique and headed off towards the hospital.

“I gotta go get ready too Rarity. I’ll see you there.” Comet said as she left the mare alone. Rarity looked herself over in the mirror and smiled at her work, she sat down and began to apply her make up and brush her hair. As she did she began to giggle in excitement as her imagination started to fabricate the night.