• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 4,566 Views, 78 Comments

Obligations - ArgonMatrix



Obligations to your friends and family are the most important obligations of all.

  • ...
16
 78
 4,566

Epilogue

Twilight backed away from Rainbow Dash slowly, the aura around her horn fading as she collapsed on her haunches. The pegasus’ eyes snapped open as she came back to her senses.

“That was awesome! I’ve never felt so alive! And you had wings too, and we were flying together and... and... just, wow! I never expected that Dream Escape thing to be so wicked!”

“Dreamscape,” Twilight corrected, “and I’m glad you liked it.

“Liked it?! It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! Seriously Twi, you deserved to get that published.”

Four other mares sat around them in the grassy field along with a tiny purple dragon. All of them were recounting their own Dreamscape experiences as they munched on the cucumber sandwiches from Rarity as well as the sugary cupcakes from Pinkie Pie.

“So y’all managed to work things out in the end?” inquired an orange earth pony, reaching for another sandwich.

“Yeah, I think it’ll all be okay,” Spike said gleefully.

“I’m just glad all of you managed to forgive me too,” said Twilight. “You all seemed really upset with me, more upset than I actually thought you would be about this.

“I do believe we owe you an apology as well,” Rarity offered, wiping her muzzle with a napkin. “We all should’ve allowed you to explain your actions instead of merely attacking you without any explanation. We were all so distraught that we couldn’t see how much we were hurting you in return, and two wrongs don’t make a right.”

“Yeah, I was pretty nasty,” Pinkie added. “I just couldn’t think straight. I don’t think I’d had enough cupcakes yesterday and it got me even more frazzled!”

“I really should’ve let you tell me why you did what you did,” Fluttershy said sincerely. “I hope you can forgive me.”

“Yeah, I guess I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions either,” continued Rainbow. “Everypony deserves a fair chance, no matter how ridiculous they’re being.

“Shoot, I reckon I should apologize too,” noted Applejack, rounding off the apologies. “I was so dead set on figurin’ out what was goin’ on with you that I didn’t even give you the chance to tell me for yourself. Sorry Twi.”

“It’s okay, you guys,” assured Twilight, “I’m actually kinda glad you were so upset. It showed me how much you all really care about Spike. Not that I ever doubted you, it’s just reassuring to know. It really makes us all feel more like a family.”

Tears began forming in some of the group’s eyes and immovable smiles crossed their faces. They all looked to each other in turn.

Group hug!!” cried Pinkie as she immediately smothered the seven friends into a big ball creating a happy embrace. As the hug dispersed and the group fell backwards, they all released hearty laughs which echoed through the sky, filling the air with glee.

Comments ( 22 )

Not entirely sure the story needed this epilogue, but I just wanted to close up some of the loose ends that were bothering me. Hope I did an okay job of that!

Call me sadistic, because I genuinely hate happy endings.

Nonetheless, this was still quite heartwarming.
So, uh... Thanks for the story.

I will have to give this story 4 out of 5 mustaches. :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

Cute. Very cute, but I felt the feeling was a touch rushed. Not bad, not bad.

I accidentally read Rarity's apology as Rainbow Dash, and I'm like :twilightoops:

(Joke) Alt. Title: Obligations: Make Sad FanFiction

1804856

You and me both! I was hoping for a sad ending.

Got a little too much sugar at the end.

1804798
I agree with you, no epilogue was needed. Everything was explained and without the epilogue I would have just implied that the others forgave her. I don't really think they needed to apologize to Twi either, being hurt and angry is reasonable, so long as they don't hold a grudge.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked the story, it's so easy to hurt the ones we love and so hard to apologize. thumbs up!

You really need to check your story and figure out why it's telling people there are three more chapters to be read. I've checked through the whole thing a couple of times, and I keep getting new chapter notices.

2113797
As far as I can tell, there's nothing I can do about it. I've been having a similar issue with some stories lately, so maybe it's just a bug with the site. Regardless, I hope it gets fixed soon.

If anyone knows what I can do personally to fix this issue, please let me know.

This piece of art has never gotten the attention that it deserves.:pinkiesad2:

It's awesome that this fic is finally getting some attention!

PS. This was the first fic I ever read.

Awesome ending! :rainbowkiss::heart::pinkiehappy::twilightblush:

3044653
Thank you very much for the compliment, T.D.! I feel I could've pulled off this story much better, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!

3044907
I'm not entirely sure where the attention is coming from, to be honest, but I can't say I'm complaining! Thanks for reading and enjoying it. :twilightsmile:

3045480
Thank you for reading the story and for writing all these comments! I'm glad the story touched you to such an extent.

3045525 You are very welcome, I am a hugs Spike fan, and I wish this was they he was treated on the show, you know with the ending and the moment with the other five. :pinkiehappy:

3045543
I'm quite the Spike fan myself—as if you couldn't tell from the fact that I wrote this story!—and I'm happy I did him justice in your eyes. :twilightsmile:

3258290
Yeah, this wasn't one of her most shining moments, was it?

I think this is a bit too dark when it shouldn't be. It's hard to explain, but it feels like a Simpson's episode. In fact, it's almost exactly like it. The problem isn't that it's a Simpson's type plot. The problem is who it's done with and how it's executed.

This would have worked with Sweetie Belle and Rarity or Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash. Twilight is too articulate to forget someone's birthday, particularly, a birthday on the same day as Her cutie mark. In the Simpson's it worked because Homer isn't that great with memory and emotions. He can't figure out how others react and he's impulsive. However, in the episode, he does try being honest and kind. Twilight doesn't need to go through any of that because of her intelligence and her way with ponies.

Now, if it were with a different scenario, for instance, Twilight messing up his party for her agenda, it makes sense because Twilight can be caught up in her work. She can be over the top. Sometimes, it's hard to see it in her eyes. Better yet, Twilight starts ignoring Spike and doing x repeatedly without conscious awareness. Twilight can be a pony that doesn't read emotions well, CAN cause issues like intrusion without realizing. That's Twilight naturally. The others would see it, but not her then. They would be justified being jerks in that sense then. If it was progressively done, it would be perfect. A few warnings and then the cut off, you understand why they did it.

“I do believe we owe you an apology as well,” Rarity offered, wiping her muzzle with a napkin. “We all should’ve allowed you to explain your actions instead of merely attacking you without any explanation. We were all so distraught that we couldn’t see how much we were hurting you in return, and two wrongs don’t make a right.”

Truer words have never been spoken:ajsleepy:. it's understandable why you and the girls were angry at Twilight Rarity, but that excuses nopony, not even you, from attacking Twilight the way you did. I'm glad to see you girls are owning up to your mistakes, besides Twilight:twilightsmile:.

“Yeah, I was pretty nasty,” Pinkie added. “I just couldn’t think straight. I don’t think I’d had enough cupcakes yesterday and it got me even more frazzled!”

You know, with Pinkie Pie, I can seriously believe that. Without a single doubt:ajsmug:.

“I really should’ve let you tell me why you did what you did,” Fluttershy said sincerely. “I hope you can forgive me.”

Well, Flutters...while I'm upset that you of all ponies didn't let Twilight explain herself, despite the fact that you didn't verbally tear into her...I can't stay mad you:pinkiesad2:. Just remember next time to at least hear you're friends out next time, okay?

“Yeah, I guess I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions either,” continued Rainbow. “Everypony deserves a fair chance, no matter how ridiculous they’re being.

You guess?!:ajbemused:. Rainbow, you were being more than just ridiculous, you were being a total plothole! There's not sugarcoating it okay girl? You were being totally ridiculous and absolutely insensitive, not realizing how much you were hurting Twilight! I don't care if you and the others were made at Twilight for missing Spike's birthday, you were being the worst of them all, besides Rarity:twilightangry2:!

“Shoot, I reckon I should apologize too,” noted Applejack, rounding off the apologies. “I was so dead set on figurin’ out what was goin’ on with you that I didn’t even give you the chance to tell me for yourself. Sorry Twi.”

Again, truer words have never been spoken, coming from the Element of Honesty herself. However, like I said with Rainbow, there is no sugarcoating it AJ! You don't just 'reckon', you should have apologize, you know you should apologize. I get that you guys were upset with Twilight for missing Spike's birthday, but he was the only one who had the right to be upset, while you and the others just up and berated and accused Twilight while she didn't even know what she did wrong! She can't be sorry for something if she doesn't know what she's sorry for:ajbemused:! GEEZ!

I'm sorry for this little rant, this story just rubbed off on my in some pretty bad ways, mostly because the girls were being OOC, and they did not give Twilight any explanation as to why they were upset. They just yelled at her and tore the poor girl apart while she didn't know what she did wrong, and when she asked why, they just kept going, not even giving her a chance to defend herself.

I'm not saying Twilight is in the right, but I'm not saying that I don't sympathize with her, nor am I saying that the other girls are in the right either. With the exception of Spike, they are all in the wrong, and they all could've done things a little bit differently, the Main Five even more so. As for Twilight forgetting Spike's birthday, I can believe that. It may seem unbelievable to Spike and the others, since Twilight the smartest out of all of them, and has never been one to forget things as far as they're concerned, but if they really know Twilight, they'd know that even she tends to forget things, as with the rest of them. It doesn't matter if she's the most powerful and knowledgeable Unicorn in existence, nopony, not even she is perfect, and it's high time the girls, even Spike, see that, especially after this little incident.

Again, I'm not saying Twilight or the girls are in the right with what they've all done, I'm just saying that they could've done this situation a little bit better. Like the girls giving Twilight a chance to a explain as to why she wasn't at Spike's birthday party, and Twilight remembering her obligations to her friends and her family (as said in the short summary above). That way, none of what happened in this story would've happened, and they'd all work together to figure out how to fix it and make sure it never happens again...and it looks to me like they've all learned their lessons. Hopefully they'll be a little more smarter next time with what they're doing, and not go off the lid like that.

Nice well written story here:twilightsmile:. The only thing I'd suggest is make each of the chapters longer, at last 1,000 or so words, and make those moments with Twilight , her friends, and Spike a bit longer. Other than that, great job:twilightsmile:.

Still a fantastic read!

8781283
Twilight admitted to spike that she messed up and it was simply a matter of her messing up and thinking about something else and she never wanted to hurt him

6507082
You do realize that exactly what happened. She was so caught up with her new spell that might get published that she simply forgot about everything else

The premise of the story is already messed up.
Friendship has nothing to do with obligations. The concept is pretty much the opposite of an obligation.
How could Twi forget something so "important"? The same way husbands and wifes forget anniversaries, the same way anyone can forget anything at any point: by getting distracted ... maybe by something that has more than merely symbolic value.
Great that her supposed friends value something like a birthday so highly, but their bond with Twilight so little, that they collectively decide it's better to be hurtful than helpful ... on someone else's behalf no less. Good job, embodiments of harmony, good job.
And of course the element of loyalty is the worst offender. "Loyalty’s a two way street Twi" the turncoat says, after switching her own loyalty off instead of doing what an actually loyal friend would do: tell Twi what she did wrong and then help her make it right. You know, Dash, like a friend. Not even a particularly loyal one, just an actual friend.

I don't mind stories in which Twilight's friends act OOC like a bunch of self-righteous asshats - not that it's even that far from their canon behavior in case of RD and AJ - it can be good entertainment. And Twilight shutting her brain down , not putting two and two together and only worrying about symptoms instead of the root cause of a problem - for no other reason than 'plot' - is something I can usually ignore for the sake of that brand of entertainment. But whenever such a story gets a super generic cheese ending slapped on, with a couple short and cheap apologies, I have to ask: What was the point?
For a moment I thought the story was building up to something meaningful, but then ... nothing.
First the Mane6's canon characterizations are ignored for the sake of drama, then the drama gets ignored for the sake of - ending the story I guess?
Then again, I hadn't even gotten to Spike's chapter yet and already all I could think at that point was: Yep, this is a Spike-fanboy writing a Twilybuse story. So it's unlikely a less rushed ending would've salvaged the entire thing.

Story's a decade old now, author is MIA, so this post is probably wasted energy anyway.

Login or register to comment