• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 888 Views, 35 Comments

Erebus: Episode 1: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! - Honey Mead



The Sun and Moon no longer shine over the alabaster walls of Canterlot. A darkness long forgotten has begun to seep through the cracks and erode the morality of those it touches. But at the edge of the light there is shadow, holding back the darkness

  • ...
2
 35
 888

Epilogue

Floorboards creaked softly under heavy hooves as Big McIntosh rolled from his bed. His eyes creeped open, greeted by the sight of the sun’s glow only beginning to peek into his window. He took a moment to admire the view from his window before quietly leaving his room. With practiced stealth, he slipped down the hall to the shared bathroom to freshen up for the coming morning.

Drying the last drops of water from his face, Big Mac smiled at his reflection. He couldn’t place the feeling, but something told him that today was going to be a good day. “Eeyup.”

Descending the stairs, his hoof pressed on the third step from the ground, causing it to creak loudly. Wincing at the high pitched noise, he twisted his head to look back up the stairs, his ears perked, waiting for the complaints that never came.

The tension in his face fell into a frown, his ears drooping to the side of his head.

Shaking off the thoughts, he made another mental note to finally fix that step before continuing down to the kitchen.

His frown turned to concern when the smell of breakfast failed to reach his nose in the living room. Even after they had agreed to rotate who was responsible for making breakfast, and the first pot of coffee, AJ still failed to give him the chance, beating him to it every morning. He knew that she was going to use it against him one day, but he didn’t see what he could do about it.

Entering the kitchen, his suspicions proved true. Applejack sat at the breakfast table, her face pressed into a stack of papers, fast asleep. Clicking his tongue in agitations at his sister's stubbornness, he had to fight the urge to kick the stool out from under her. This wasn’t the first time that she had done this to herself. All it ever did was leave her half useless for the rest of the day.

He couldn’t help but wonder just how long she’d stayed up. Still, there was work to do, and the sun had never been one to wait for anypony--even less so now. Stepping away from the other pony, he opened the coffee tin and poured its contents into the one appliance that got more work than the oven. As the water worked its way through the grounds, it let off the most delightful aroma, beginning its work long before the first sip.

Big Mac wasn’t the only one so affected. Applejack sniffed the air in her sleep, slowly rousing at the familiar smell. Blinking and lifting her head, she gave a start when she realized where she was, scattering a few of the papers to the floor.

“Gosh darn it,” Applejack cursed, reaching for the dropped papers.

Big Mac smiled to himself as he poured the first cup and placed on the table beside her. “Here ya go, sis.”

“Thanks, Big Mac.” AJ gripped the mug between her forehooves, nearly burying her muzzle in the dark liquid as she inhaled the strong scent. Sitting back in her stool, she kept the mug just below her nose, not letting a whiff of steam escape her.

Before she could take her first sip somepony knocked heavily on the front door. Sighing in resignation, she started to put the mug down, only for Big Mac to place a hoof on her shoulder. “I’ll get it.”

Applejack nodded appreciatively, and turned back to the coffee still held in her hooves as Big Mac went to see who it could've possibly been at the door. He didn’t know who would be stopping by the farm this early, but AJ had been running herself more ragged than usual of late, and he wasn’t about to let her deal with every problem, even if he had to tie her down to do it.

The door opened on well-oiled hinges to reveal the oddest pony Big Mac had ever seen. She looked like a pony, with a mane, tail, snout, and coat. Her ice-blue coat wasn’t something he had ever seen before, and her purple-scale mane was just as unique, but it was the way she shined like an ice sculpture in the sun that brought him up short.

“Hello, Mister McIntosh. I believe we have some business to discuss.”

Author's Note:

Keep your eyes open for the next installment.

Working Title:
Erebus: Episode 2: Of Charity and Theft

- Baron Honigwein von Beinhause the Third

Comments ( 8 )

Lookin' forward to it!

Comment posted by Honey Mead deleted Mar 24th, 2013

This story has been reviewed by: The Equestrian Critics Society

Story Title: Erebus: Episode 1: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!

Author: Honey Mead

Reviewed by: Shahrazad

Erebus: Episode 1: Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! is a fun crossover using MLP and batman. Specifically the Adam West version of batman, so no overwrought introspection here. It keeps the story light hearted but still action oriented. The story is at the razors edge of fast paced, almost too fast for readers to keep track of what’s going on, much less catch their breath. Almost. The end result is a story that keeps readers turning the page, or scrolling down in this case. The quality of this story places it near the top of the pile, readers need to place this author in their watchlist.

Full Review

Score: 9.0/10

I know this is quite late, but Congratulations on being The Equestrian Critics Society's September Fic of the Month Honey Mead! You've earned it! :pinkiehappy:

3214406
Thanks! That's pretty awesome.:raritystarry:

So, this was real good; but there's a whole load of unanswered questions still, and it's been a year since this was finished and I didn't see a sequel in your list of stories. Is this world on the backburner...?

4030493
More so than I would like to admit. I have far too much I want and not half the skill to pull them off. I think I have five stories of mine own that are in progress and another four with which I am involved. Perhaps it is time to revisit this one, We'll see...

4030531 Ah yeah, I know the feeling.
Hmm, perhaps if there's some ideas related to this story that you weren't planning on putting in the others, you could add a chapter as like an appendix...? I don't know if you have anything like that though, or if that's even something one does.

Login or register to comment