• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 3,053 Views, 141 Comments

Lost in Conflict - YoshiBrony



When a simple soldier makes the ultimate sacrifice, he ends up somewhere he did not expect...

  • ...
13
 141
 3,053

Prologue

Prologue
-----------------------------

Our world is burning.
An evil force has risen, and has all but destroyed our once peaceful world, and thrown it into an age of darkness.
What little hope remains, lies with myself, and rebel forces scattered around the planet. But as always, we are losing.
I took the liberty of attempting to make a difference, signing myself up for a near-suicide mission in order to take down the armies and wretched governments that have enslaved their own people. I don't care if this mission takes my life, I don't care if I live another 50 years. All I want, is to bring back the age of peace that we once knew, and take back what is ours. My name is Isaac Oakleaf. And this is the story of my (unfortunate) life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey egghead! Time to get up!"
Isaac jumped with a yelp as the cold water woke him from his rest. Falling off his makeshift bed while hearing the chuckles from his peers.

"Damn it Cameron, how many times have I told you not to call me egghead?" A small smirk appearing on the face of his over-muscular teammate.

"No idea, I lost count after about the thirtieth time."

"Well, next time don't get water everywhere. This truck is full as it is without you getting.....Aaron! Turn off damn noise!" The extremely loud dubstep a certain smartass private has been playing for the past hour has finally begun to drive Isaac insane. His head already pounding from the sudden wake up call.

"Hey, this is the most important mission of the war and I need to get PUMPED!" A mischievous grin spreading across Aaron's face, Isaac let out a sigh as he gave up on convincing the private, knowing how important this job was. If they actually pulled this off, it would strike a huge blow at the Empires leadership. After all, the Empire's continuation rests solely on the decisions made by their leaders.

"All right, so you all know the plan then?" Isaac rolled his eyes as the dubstep was shut off and a few murmurs of concern from the two other members of the squad. "Alright, so once we sneak around the back entrance and dispatch the two guards that are hopefully asleep around the corner. Aaron, you punch a hole in the wall of the generator room." Aaron quickly checked his pack, making sure his pack had the necessary equipment for the job. After giving the all clear, Isaac continued.

"The Empire's leaders are meeting in the conference room from 1100-1400 hours, so we have plenty of time to arm the bomb and make sure we put ourselves with enough distance to get away." Isaac had a clear expression of worry on his face as he glanced over to the relatively large bomb nested in the corner of the truck.

Suddenly Cameron decided to speak up "Well, why don't we just detonate the bomb as soon as we're clear of the blast radius?"

Isaac gave a dumbfounded expression at the stupidity of that question "Because, when the bomb goes off, every military force within 10 clicks will be on our tail. And I want to live long enough to see those bastards pay for what they did to us all."

Aaron and Cameron opened their mouths to speak, but were quickly closed after a moment of thought, remembering Isaac's story of how the Empire struck his home city first. And killed almost everyone there except him and a few other survivors. From close friends to simple co-workers, Isaac lost everything that day, and he winced at the memory of how a high ranking officer stepped over the bodies of his friends. And shot his own brother in cold blood.

After around 15 minutes of silence and preparation for the task ahead, the truck came to a sudden stop, and a voice of the driver made the team jump as they waited for the signal. "Alright ladies, you got 5 minutes before the leaders arrive. So get that bomb de....armed and ready to go!" Isaac was the first out of the truck, taking cover behind some crates before giving the all clear. Before they left the truck, however, Cameron gave Aaron a look of concern and finally spoke up.

"Are you sure about this? He's one of the best engineers we've had in this war, not much of a fighter but still....Loyal."

His voice down to a whisper, Aaron immediately replied. "I'm sure, we need to make sure this bomb goes off. And besides, it's not like the cause needs another engineer."

"Alright, if you're sure. Let's finish this." Cameron's tone now much calmer after being reassured of the importance of completing their mission. Stepping out of the truck and into the cold night air. The storm providing much needed cover from prying eyes. As they caught up to Isaac, he let out a sigh of relief barely audible. And ran to the next crate, ready to take his revenge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After rounding a corner and coming to a back entrance, Isaac signaled the rest of his squad to stop moving.

"Two tangos at 12 o'clock. They have their back turned, wait for the next round of thunder, and shoot."

Luckily their weapons were outfitted with silencers so the storm wouldn't really be needed. But nonetheless, it helped. As the next round of thunder bellowed in the distance, the two guards dropped to the floor almost instantly as they were riddled with bullets. Their blood coloring the puddles on the ground a deep crimson. The old building had little windows, and those that were visible were too high to see them from that angle. They continued on as Isaac looked at his watch.

"12:50, perfect. Plenty of time to get in and out." He said to himself as they reached the point of interest.

As they neared the wall next to the generator room, Aaron readied the charges. Luckily their blast was quiet but powerful, and the raging storm making the noise that much less recognizable. Cameron and Isaac looked around to see if anyone was watching, Aaron pulled out the charges from his pack and laid them on the stone wall next to him. As Cameron had a much bigger build, he took cover behind the crates.

"Alright, so once we blow through here, there's a small chance they might come down to investigate. So I'll set up a few cameras, if the guards find the bomb, i'll set off an early detonation." A clear look of worry on his face, Isaac shook it off and stood beside the door and took the cameras out of the pack. Aaron had finally set up the charges when he stepped back and nodded to Isaac, standing beside the door waiting for the signal. Isaac held his palm up into the air, and looked back out the window of the door they came in through. When another rumble of thunder made them jump, he quickly clenched his fist and Aaron pressed the trigger. The resulting explosion was much quieter than they had expected, creating a perfect sized hole into the glowing generator room before them.

"Cameron, get the bomb ready, Aaron, link it up to the detonator while I set up these cameras." As Isaac walked back out of the hole, Aaron gave Cameron a sly smile, immediately knowing his intentions, Cameron looked back out the hole, then shared it. Both getting prepared for the upcoming events.

"I'm setting up the next couple of cameras around this next corridor, wait at the back entrance for me once the bomb is set."

Isaac's stern look and tone cutting through the silence like a freshly sharpened knife. He would almost look intimidating if not for him being the least muscled. The result of his life as an engineer, and not a fully trained soldier. Once he rounded the corner, Aaron and Cameron nodded to each other, before sprinting back to the van at the other end of the building.

"Finally, stupid damn focusing lens. I guess that's what we get after spending the past 8 years in a war with minimal military strength." Isaac's smile faded after the memories of that night came rushing back to him. The blood, the fires and the loss that came with it. He quickly shook it off and ran back to the entrance, only to find Cameron and Aaron missing. And the noise of the truck driving away confirmed what he had feared. A noise that after eight years of nothing but pain. Broke something inside him as he collapsed on the ground. Tears flowing freely from his eyes, remembering all the events that took place. And as Isaac sat there, a single sentence was spoken before he got up and stumbled back towards the generator room.

"......They're gone....Just like the rest of them..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------