• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 26,069 Views, 5,397 Comments

Into the Black: A Mare's Tale - shirotora



Twilight is flung into the farthest reaches of the galaxy

  • ...
117
 5,397
 26,069

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: Dragon Fire

The waiting was killing her. Applejack wasn't the kind of pony to sit around while everypony else did the work, but she had a responsibility. She knew it was inevitable that the Dratali would reach the city, and when they did, she'd give them the bucking of their lives. She looked around at the ponies she was to be fighting with. She knew most of them at least by reputation, but the nomads were completely foreign to her. Of course, that meant Pinkie Pie was chatting up a storm.

“Hey, Applejack!” called the hyper mare, “Come over here!”

“What's up, Pinkie?” asked the farm mare.

“I just want to introduce you to my new friend!” exclaimed the daughter of chaos, indicating a dark gray unicorn with an amethyst mane, “She's a nomad! I've never had a nomad friend! Now I just need a yes-mad friend! Hey Applejack, do you know where I can find a yes-mad? Do you think Trixie's a yes-mad? She definitely says yes to being mad a lot...”

The two mares watched as the pink one's mouth continued.

“Is she...” the nomad began.

“Yes, yes she is,” Applejack answered the question she knew was coming, “You get used to it. By the way, the name’s Applejack.”

“Flicka, a pleasure to meet you,” replied the mare.

“...And then the monkey was swinging from the curtains and Princess Cadence was laughing, but Shiny wasn't...”

“You ever been in a rumble, Flicka?” Applejack asked.

“Yes, we live outside the princesses' influence,” Flicka answered, “I've fought, and I've even had to kill. Do you have experience fighting?”

“Ha! Just Nightmare Moon, Discord, a changeling invasion, a ticked off ghost, a crazy monkey king, a few dragons... and parasprites,” she put extra venom on the last.

“Parasprites?” asked the nomadic unicorn.

“...So after I strapped Dashie to the table in the basement and got out my knives...”

“A real pain in the flank,” the orange mare explained, “The little varmints ate a third of mah trees.”

“Ah, we've had trouble with similar creatures,” Flicka groaned, “Sand beetles. They can destroy a field of crops in less then three days.”

“Wow. That's not quite as bad as parasprites, but they’re magical. For regular bugs, that's pretty bad.”

“Yes, and they're hard to get rid of.”

“...Now I'm not allowed within fifty miles Manehattan.”

The two sane ponies looked at Pinkie with similarly confused expressions.

Pinkie met their gazes, “What?”

“Hey guys!” Vinyl called from the balcony of a large house that overlooked the city nicely, “We got company!”

“Get ready!” Applejack called out, “Parry, you protect Fluttershy. We'll need her safe, in case somepony gets hurt.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Holy cow!” Rainbow Dash couldn't believe her eyes, “You told me what that spell does, but... wow! You're huge!”

“That's what she said,” Spike chuckled, sweeping his tail at the nearest Dratali as they stared on in shock.

“Ha! Good one,” Rainbow zapped a couple more, while cutting one across the belly that got too close.

Rainbow looked at her now blood soaked wing and down at the guy she just killed. She wondered why she wasn't revolted by it. Yeah, she felt bad for the guy, but it wasn't as bad as she thought.

“It's the Crystal Heart spell,” Spike said, noticing her confusion, “It steels the nerves and strengthens the body and magic.” He released a burst of emerald fire at a few soldiers that tried to shoot him. The rounds stung, but couldn't penetrate his scales, “Now, come on. Let's kick these guys off our planet!”

“Right!”

Spike breathed a coat of fire on his claws and quickly started inscribing runes in the air. He raised his claws over his head and slammed them down with a loud crash. The hovering runes followed suit, shooting into the ground and sending out a shockwave. Every living thing within a two hundred fifty foot radius was flung into the air, as gravity seemed to lose its hold. Ponies stood in awe before recognizing their opportunity and opening fire.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Let's see how you guys like being on the receiving end of this for a change,” Curt grinned evilly.

He and his small team of four unicorns began weaving the spell on the opposite side of the Dratali from Celestia and her army. Being the least experienced, he simply followed the lead of the unicorn Twilight said was the best of the group, Lyra Heartstrings. Apparently, she was an old classmate of Twilight's that Celestia sent to 'keep an eye on her pupil' when she moved. Needless to say, Twilight was rather upset when she found out, but understood the need for security.

The group of mages weaved the spell, feeding it energy. A brilliant flash of light filled their vision, blinding them momentarily. When their sight returned, they were greeted by several hundred Alliance soldiers. After the daze of the teleportation wore off, they turned toward the battlefield and with a mighty battle cry, charged.

“Alright!” Curt called as he caught his breath, “Let's get ready to bring the armor!”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

The Dratali soldiers tried to run, but it didn't matter. The last thing they saw was the emerald flames of the great beast. They were soon joined by their fellows as the purple dragon burned them with flames, tore them with claws, and crushed them with its tail. All the while, its lover darted through their ranks cutting with the steel edged wings, and burning with lightning.

The pegasus was too fast to target and the dragon was too thick skinned. They needed something more powerful than their rifles. They tried to deploy portable rocket launchers, but the fast one cut them down before they could use them. To make matters worse, Alliance soldiers had appeared on the battlefield, flanking them. They were assaulted on every side, and their chances were looking grim. What was needed was armor. What they got, though, was so much better.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Three more screams filled the air as Spike's fire claimed more lives. It was a terrible sensation, but the Crystal Heart's spell let him fight on. The logical part of his mind knew when the spell ends, the horror of this battle would catch up to him, but it was a small price to pay. He was more worried about Rainbow Dash. She acted tough, but he's seen the side of her no one else has. She was always scared. Not for herself, but for everypony else. He knew she wouldn't take it well, but he would be there for her.

The purple dragon took in a deep breath, pulling his fire from his core. Before he could unleash the attack, he was thrown through the air by a massive object slamming into the ground in front of him. Dazed, Spike staggered to his feet and looked at the culprit. His jaw dropped at the sight. Emerging from the metal sphere was an enormous creature. It was easily three times Spike's size and looked like a cross between a dragon, a tortoise, and a machine. Metal pieces were fused to its body, reinforcing its scales and gigantic claws.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Curt laid his head on the grass. Summoning the armored divisions was hard, and he needed a breather.

“What the hay is that?” Lyra gasped.

Curt turned to look and bolted upright, his fatigue gone. He stared at the Dratali tech covered beast, “That... That's new is what that is.” Lyra looked at him with confusion and fear. “I’m pretty sure nothing like that has been reported before.”

Lyra gulped, “What do we do?”

Curt looked at the monstrosity, “Hope that Spike can kill it...”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Spike,” Rainbow called as she hovered by her fiance's head, “What is that thing? It's bigger than you!” Spike could only nod in acknowledgment, “I... I don't think you can beat it.”

“Rainbow...” he said softly, “Get out of here.”

“What? No way! I'm not leaving you!”

“Dashie, please,” he pleaded, “I can't fight all out with you here. Don't worry, I'll stop that thing. Go help the princess.”

Dash reluctantly nodded and gave him a peck on the cheek, “Don't get yourself hurt, kay?”

The cyan pegasus flew off toward where the sun ruler still fought.

“Alright you freak. Let's do this!”

He thrust his claw into the ground, and tore out a large boulder. With a quick burst of fire, he inscribed a force magnification rune onto the stone, and drove his fist into it. The stone burst into flames and rocketed toward the mechanized turtle-dragon at supersonic speed, slamming into its head. It roared in pain before charging the threat. Spike hadn't anticipated its speed and barely managed to bring up his arms to block the mighty blow from its deadly claw. Despite his protective measures, the blow launched the dragon several hundred yards away.

“Holy hay, the guy's got a hammer!” Spike groaned as he sat up... just in time to see the giant plowing toward him. A quick roll to the side kept him three dimensional, but the same couldn't be said for several ponies on the ground. Their screams sent chills down his spine. I gotta lead it away!

“Hey, ugly!” he shouted before spitting an emerald ball of flame at its head. It had the desired effect of drawing the behemoth's attention away from the ponies. Unfortunately for Spike, it drew its attention to him.

With a deafening roar, it charged the dragon once again. Spike turned tail and ran for it, using his wings to keep enough ahead of the monster to not be in danger, but close enough to keep its interest. He needed a good way to hurt this thing. An Idea hit him, but he wasn't sure if it would work. With a quick movement, he twisted around using his wings, and inscribed a rune in the air. It hung where it was written until the juggernaut chasing him hit it. Spike had to repress a cheer at the sight of the fiery rune stuck on its chest. He dove to the side, the creature missing him by only a few dozen feet. The purple dragon drove his fist into its side, the rune multiplying the force several times.

“Yeah!” Spike cheered as the monster rolled a good distance. The beast rolled to its feet again as if nothing happened, “Oh... crap.”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

“Weapon systems ready!” Aden called to his co-worker.

“She's all gassed up and ready to blow stuff up!” Technia sang.

“We're ready when you are, Deb,” Aden told his fellow pilot.

“Then let's get this bad boy up and killin' lizards!” replied the half-aviva.

The gray unicorn lit up her horn, and turned a crank on the wall. Daylight broke through as the entire wall slid open, making room for the new spacecraft.

“You're clear for take off,” alerted Aden.

“Alright you Dratali bastards! Here comes Firefly, and she's got a new toy!” cried the redhead as she gunned engine.

Aden watched until she was gone from sight, “Alright, are you going to be good here? I gotta go help with the fighting.”

“Go have your fun,” Technia said, “Me and my new friend here are going to wait for someone to play with,” she rubbed a large, sheet covered object.

“You’re scary,” Aden said before jumping into a mech, “Stay safe.”

“Where’s the fun in that?”

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Vinyl's horn shined as she hollered as loud as she could. The unrelenting force her voice had become passed through the shimmering wall of protective magic. The Dratali adept's hands recoiled to his head as blood oozed from every orifice. His death was quick, but agonizing. AJ couldn't hold back the shudder. It was a terrible way to go, that was for sure.

“How is he, Fluttershy?” the country mare called out behind her, where her friend was treating one of the nomad ponies.

“H-he didn't...” the gentle pegasus' quivering voice was all she needed to hear. Applejack never even knew the guy's name, but it still made her angry. Nomad or not, he was a pony.

“Y'all gonna be alright?” the farmer called back.

“Y-yes... It's not the first time a patient has died, but... never a pony... I'll be fine.”

Applejack looked back at the enemies, and mentally cursed herself. An aviva convert had one of those big tube weapons that Twilight said shot rockets and it was aiming right at her. Before AJ could respond, a blur landed on him with a battle cry.

The orange earth pony flinched as debris flew in her face. She looked back to where her would-be killer was just moments ago and instead saw something she couldn't believe. Her mind tried to wrap itself around the utter strangeness of the situation. It wasn't the beaver tail, the single crow's wing, or reindeer antler, or even the raccoon paw gripping the big candy-cane sledgehammer that made the sight so impossible to comprehend...

… It was the pink pony they were attached to.

“Hiya, AJ!”

PreviousChapters Next