• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 2,503 Views, 50 Comments

Butterflies and Rainbows - FlutterDash777



Rainbow Dash discovers where friendship ends and where love starts to begin.

  • ...
2
 50
 2,503

Decisions

-Decisions

Rainbow told Applejack and Twilight everything. She told them about Fluttershy, and how she loved her. How Fluttershy rejected her, and how she had been sitting under that tree all day crying. Applejack and Twilight were shocked. They would have never suspected this kind of behavior from the great Rainbow Dash. They thought she sounded kind of...soft. But they understood their friend, and tried to give her comforting words. Rainbow did appreciate her friends trying to help, but she still couldn't get her mind off of how Fluttershy turned her down.

Rainbow's feelings were overwhelming her. She had never had this experience before, so it was an awful lot on her. She tried to clear her mind of all the past incidents, but as much as she tried, Fluttershy could not be shaken from her thoughts. Rainbow was positive that she was in love. This was the first time she had ever cared for somepony so much. Sure she cared about her friends, and she would do anything for any of them, but Fluttershy was what Rainbow's world revolved around. And Fluttershy alone.

Applejack and Twilight led Rainbow back into town. They thought it would be best for her to try and relax, as if nothing ever happened.

But Rainbow knew...It would probably be a bad idea.

Racing through the town, and heading towards the forest, Fluttershy ran as fast as she could. Huffing and puffing, even some sweat ran down her forehead. Fluttershy was desperate to see the pony she longed for.

'I'm such a terrible pony. Thinking that Rainbow will even want to see me after what I put her through. She probably hates me, but I have to apologize even if she does. Even if she never forgives me. I have to do it. I need to tell her.'

Fluttershy's head was spinning like a record. She was dizzy, and her eyes were blurring. But even so, Fluttershy continued to run forward at full speed. She couldn't loose another moment. Fluttershy's anticipation was at it's brink. She opened her wings, and started to speed faster.

'Rainbow would probably be proud of me right now. Well....if none of that ever happened, maybe.'

Fluttershy shook her mind of the thoughts she was having. She had no time to think. She only had time to move as quickly as possible.

Reaching her destination near the forest, Fluttershy checked every single tree. Searching every space in the area. But there was no sight of Rainbow Dash, or anypony for that matter. Out of breath, Fluttershy slouched down.

"I can't believe I came all this way, and she's not even here."

Fluttershy sighed. She looked up at a tall, brightly colored tree.

"Sometimes....I wish I could be a tree..."

Pinkie Pie was amazed by the information she was hearing.

Rainbow, Applejack, and Twilight were now outside of Sugar Cube Corner with Pinkie Pie, filling her in on all that had happened to Rainbow Dash.

"So you see...Applejack and Twilight brought me here...to maybe feel better..." Rainbow Dash finished her story, and sat quietly.

Pinkie Pie looked directly into Rainbow Dash's eyes. Even with her usual gleeful attitude, the bright pink pony was losing her glow. Applejack noticed this and tried to cheer up the mood.

"So is anypony in the mood fer some apple pie? I can sure whip up us one in lickity spli--" Applejack stopped. Nopony was interested in Applejack's idea. They were all too upset.

Rainbow's attitude sure did effect the friends quickly. Without her perky, proud attitude, everypony seemed to have slipped into her hoofs as if it were them who was heartbroken.

The four ponies sat in silence. Nopony knew what to say to Rainbow Dash to cheer her up. Nothing worked. Rainbow Dash was almost completely non-responsive. Her eyes were lacking energy, her colors were lacking shine, and her heart was lacking...everything.

The silence was almost unbearable to Pinkie Pie. She wanted to make her friend happy. But she couldn't think of anyway to do so.

She suddenly had a thought.

'Everypony likes a song. And I sure do know how to sing songs! I should sing a song! I'm gonna' sing a song for Dashie!'

Pinkie's face lit up. She inhaled a mouth full of air, and she was on the verge of singing her first note.

"Don't cry Rainbo---"

"Yoo hoo!!" The sound of Rarity's glass shattering voice interrupted Pinkie Pie's musical number.

'Awe man! And that was going to be a great song! Maybe next time.' Pinkie smiled to herself.

Rarity was galloping her way over to the four ponies. Her mane was perfectly intact as always, but her face was flustered. She finally reached her friends, and stopped to catch her breath.

"Oh my. I have been looking for Flut--"

Rarity stopped when she noticed Rainbow Dash was sitting right across from her.

"It's okay, Rarity. I can handle it." Rainbow said with a not so convincing face.

Rarity looked at her other friends to see if they were alright with her continuing. Rarity watched the nods of everyponies head before she finished her sentence.

"I have been looking for Fluttershy." She tried not to make eye contact with Rainbow Dash as she said this.

"She was at my boutique. We had been there together for quite sometime....but all of a sudden she decided she wanted to look for...."

Rarity stopped. She didn't want to cause Rainbow Dash to have anymore confusing feelings.

"Go on, Rarity." Twilight looked at Rarity with reassuring eyes that Rainbow would be okay.

Rarity cleared her throat, and completed what she was trying to say.

"She went looking for you, Rainbow Dash." Rarity turned her eyes towards Rainbow. She was afraid that Rainbow would start crying, or something. But all Rainbow did was look back at her.

"Looking...for...me?"

Rainbow made out her thoughts into words.

Everypony just looked at Rainbow, then looked back at Rarity. She seemed to know a lot about how Fluttershy was doing through all this. All they knew was what Rainbow had told them. Fluttershy's side of the story was still a mystery to them all.

"Yes." Rarity wanted to tell Rainbow what Fluttershy had said right before she left.

'"I love Rainbow Dash..."' Rarity remembered Fluttershy's confession. With that, Fluttershy had left as quickly as possible. She ran out before Rarity could respond. Rarity stood there in shock when her friend told her this. She tried to make a decision on what to do. She made the decision to find Rainbow Dash. She made the decision to tell Rainbow Dash what she was told. That was her decision, and she was going to stand by it.

"Rainbow Dash..." Rarity called out to her friend in a small voice. She looked down at her hoofs, but then looked up into Rainbow's pink eyes. She had to look her in the face, and tell her. She wanted to sound sincere when she finally told Rainbow the truth from Fluttershy.

All Rainbow did was stare back at Rarity. She felt dizzy. Knowing Fluttershy was out there looking for her, and she didn't even know why.

'Why is she doing this? Does she hate me? Does she still want to be friends? Why? Why? Why?'

Rainbow's questions conquered her mind. She had no idea what was going on. Her confusion made her feel as if she was going to pass out. Her heart couldn't take anymore of this. She didn't know how to deal with it. She didn't know what to do!

"Rainbow Dash....before Fluttershy left...she told me something....she told me that she--"

'I don't want to know....I don't want to know!' Rainbow's mind was telling her.

"She said she...." Rarity's voice trailed off. She was still speaking, but Rainbow couldn't hear her. She looked around at Applejack, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie. Their faces were stunned in shock. Rainbow was confused. She looked back at Rarity who was now looking down. Her face was flushed. What had just happened? Why was everypony looking like this? Rainbow didn't hear anything.

"What did you--" Rainbow started, but stopped when she noticed somepony was heading her way.

This pony was running, but gracefully. Her yellow wings were spread, the air breezing through them. Her fluffy, pink mane and tail was also flowing in the wind. Her eyes....oh, her beautiful eyes, were filled with tears. Her mouth was clenched shut. The pony finally made her way over to Rainbow Dash. Rainbow turned around, and stared at Fluttershy. She didn't say a word. Applejack, Twilight, Pinkie, and Rarity all backed up, and gave the two ponies space. They moved their way into Sugar Cube Corner, but still glanced through the window with curiosity.

The two pegasus' stood their looking into each others eyes. Rainbow was feeling uncomfortable. She wanted to leave. She wanted to hide away where nopony would ever find her.

Fluttershy on the other hoof wanted to be there as much as possible. She was happy to see Rainbow Dash. It had seemed like so long. She missed being with her. She wanted to stay with her.

Both ponies knew nothing to say. Silence was the enemy in their case, and they didn't know how to stop it. Silence.

'God, what does she want? Does she want to tell me off? What does she want? I can't tell what she's thinking!' Rainbow's thoughts were killing her. She just wanted Fluttershy to say something. Anything!

'What if she doesn't accept me? She might....never want to speak to me again. I will have to do it anyways....I....I need to.' Fluttershy was worrying about how Rainbow would react to the truth. She felt terrible for everything she had done. There was nothing in all of the world that Fluttershy wanted more than Rainbow Dash to be by her side.

She decided to break the ear churning silence.

"Rainbow..." Fluttershy's voice ringed in Rainbow's ears. That sweet voice.

"Ye...Yeah?" Rainbow was afraid of what Fluttershy had to say. She didn't know what to expect.

"Rainbow...I....I'm sorry. I...I'm a terrible friend...."

Rainbow, still silent, didn't know what to think. She didn't know what to say. She just stared at Fluttershy hoping she would say more.

She did.

"You see...Rainbow....I.....I'm....in love.....with....."

Rainbow's heart was racing. She loved somepony else! She knew it had to be all along! Her heart shattered. She was devastated, and Fluttershy didn't even have to finish her sentence. She burst into tears.

"I should have known Fluttershy! I'm sorry I put you through all this pressure! I....I'm sorry! I hope....I hope you will forgive me!" Rainbow's words were vague, and Fluttershy could barely understand. Rainbow's tears was what Fluttershy focused on thought. She had never seen anypony cry this hard before. Especially Rainbow Dash.

"You."

Fluttershy completed her confession. She didn't know anything else to say to Rainbow. She wasn't even sure if Rainbow caught on.

Rainbow stopped sobbing. She turned her head towards Fluttershy. She cleaned her face up. Her mouth was slightly open.
Did Fluttershy just say she loved her? Is that what she just said? Uncertain, Rainbow found words to say.

"You love me?"

Fluttershy's face turned down. Rainbow's voice sounded upset. She didn't like that sound. She wasn't sure if Rainbow was mad at her, or just completely devastated.

"Yes. I do love you, I mean..."

Fluttershy trailed off. She didn't know how to tell Rainbow Dash what was going through her mind that day when Rainbow confessed. She was afraid to. But she knew. It was something that had to be done.

Rainbow's face showed confusion, and hurt. She didn't know why Fluttershy would say that after she told her she didn't feel that way. She didn't know what to say. She could only look directly at Fluttershy, and say nothing.

"I was afraid!" Fluttershy blurted out.

"I was afraid....of.....I was afraid of losing you....I was afraid...to admit.....to love you.....I was afraid....what everypony else would think....I was afraid that you would....get tired of me.....I was afraid.....that I wasn't good enough for you.....and now I'm afraid.....that you won't forgive me..."

Fluttershy had done it. She had spoken the truth. All of the truth. She wanted to just walk away now. She was prepared to be hated. To not be forgiven. She knew that lying was a mistake she should have never made. She wished...that she could go back in time, and change everything. She wanted to be with Rainbow Dash....she wanted Rainbow Dash to hold her, and love her.