• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 19,341 Views, 1,942 Comments

The Reader - GnollReader



A gnoll appears in the Canterlot library and is forced to cope with an endless amount of problems as it gets to know the ponies a bit better.

  • ...
21
 1,942
 19,341

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21: Rats

Scar moved through the shadows of the trees. Promising the yellow one not to eat her pets had been a mistake. They were fat and lazy little critters, easy food. But when she had asked him to spare them he had found himself unable to deny her request. It was something in her eyes.

He smelled the air. Stinger to the west, possible at night, but too dangerous during day. Wooden Fangs to the east, not edible. He strained his nose as he changed his position to catch the ever changing wind. This forest had its own rules. The ponies didn't understand them but he did. To him this place was a good place to live, to the ponies it was deadly.

He smelled again, blue flowers to the south, dangerous, he had been pink for three weeks until he took a bath. He smelled something promising further south, deers. Fast and agile runners, difficult to hunt in the forest but one would keep him going for a week. He went after the trail.

---

The hunt had been easy this time. He had found a limping deer. It never saw the gnoll coming. He started eating immediately, it was faster this way than dragging it to someplace safe first, and he deemed his distance to the swamp great enough to avoid attracting any three-heads. Apples and cake were nice, but they didn't satisfy like raw meat. Before he headed back to Ponyville Scar washed the blood off his face and claws in a small stream. Ponies had no stomach for these things.

---

It was evening when he returned to the tree. Spike greeted him as he entered, "Hi, haven't seen you in a while. Everything okay?" Scar and Spike didn't talk that much, mostly because both of them had a lot to do. The little dragon had accepted that the gnoll didn't tend to talk much. That didn't mean though that they didn't enjoy each others company.

The gnoll nodded happily, "Scar comes from hunt, ate good."

The little lizard made a disgusted face, "Ewww. I don't even want to know."

Scar shrugged, the little lizard had probably never tried meat. One day the gnoll would simply force feed him with meat. He'd get the taste eventually. "Where is Purple Haze and purple one?"

"They went after Fluttershy. I can tell you that was totally weird. One minute I'm walking through town from Rarity's place, the next I see Fluttershy being chased by Purple Haze and Twilight! I think she was holding something..."

That moment the door to the library was slammed open and a visibly tired Twilight followed by an annoyed looking Purple Haze entered. Twilight's mane looked more messy than usual. There was a funny twitch to one of her eyes.

"UUUghh, can you believe how much of a fight she put up just over that terrible book? Spike! I'm going to go to sleep early today! And the next pony that asks me what why I don't have an adult section is going to be turned into a frog!" Twilight groaned in frustration. She went up to Scar, "You should probably hide from Fluttershy for the next few days, she knows it's your book now."

"It's always the quiet ones..." commented Purple Haze as she trotted up to Scar. Her helm had some scratches and a little dent adorned her chest plate. She tossed him his book, "There! Take it and make sure nopony looks at it. And for all of Equestria's sake, do not give it to Fluttershy! If you meet her just run back to the library. I swear, that pegasus is insanely persistent!"

"Something wrong?" the gnoll asked as Twilight was already heading up the stairs.

"Fluttershy wanted to take out that book of yours. Beats me why a pony like her would want something like that. When Twilight refused to lend it to her she just grabbed it and took off with it! We had to chase her half way to her place before I caught up with her. Getting the book from her wasn't easy either..." she rubbed her flank with a pained expression, "I think she bit me... always the quiet ones." she gave a yawn, "I don't know about you guys, but I'm done for today. I'm going to work on my armor and then I'm going to bed too."

Scar and Spike stood alone for a moment after the two ponies had gone upstairs. Spike scratched his head, "Fluttershy did something like that for a book?" he looked up at Scar, "What's in that thing anyway?"

The gnoll chuckled as he stuck it into the folds of his rags, "Is for grown ponies only."

"Alright, I give up. I'm going to finish down here and then I'm going to head to bed as well. You need anything?"

Scar shook his head, "Scar has everything. Going to sleep too, stomach has work to do..." he patted his gut.

"Don't wanna know it!" Spike stepped up his pace.

When the gnoll was finally alone he crept beneath his pile and quickly found sleep. It had been an interesting day.

---

He was roused from his sleep by a clicking sound followed by the sound of something landing on soft feet. He peeked from his pile. Rats. Big rats. Strange rats with hands like his, they skirted around like normal rats though, almost as big as a pony and ugly, very ugly. There were five of them, dressed in black cloths. Why would they come through the window? The ponies never locked their doors. He took in the smell, metal, leather and blood.

This couldn't be good. Maybe he should throw them out. They certainly weren't guests. Could they be eaten? Rats normally didn't taste that good. As the gnoll was contemplating the situation one of the rats spoke up, it was a whisper but the gnoll picked it up easily, "Alright, let's be fast 'bout this, slit the purple pony, find out who's the other five and slits their throats too. You finds any other ponies, slits them, no witnes..."

The rat's whispers were cut short as a heap of blankets exploded before them and a furious scream shook the library, "EVIL RATS COME TO HURT PONIES!? SCAR WILL RIP EVIL RATS TO PIECES!"

PreviousChapters Next