• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 19,337 Views, 1,942 Comments

The Reader - GnollReader



A gnoll appears in the Canterlot library and is forced to cope with an endless amount of problems as it gets to know the ponies a bit better.

  • ...
21
 1,942
 19,337

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 79: Heart and hoof

'Making your stallion happy', the gnoll pondered on the title for a moment before putting the book aside with a shake of his head and continuing his search. 'The almanac to perfect gardening', interesting enough. He added it to the other two in his hand, 'One hundred riddles' and 'Identifying clouds' was written on them.

Two days had passed since their return from Manehatten. It had been surprisingly eventless two days, but the gnoll enjoyed every moment of peace he could find.

Today was another one of what the ponies called a junk market. All over the marketplace of Ponyville, small and big stands were set up with a seemingly endless variety of things to buy. It had not taken him more than a moment to find his way to the stand with old and used books.

Unlike the ponies he had no interest to see what the other stands were offering, he was here for books only and nothing else. For a moment he wondered how well the ponies of Ponyville had gotten used to his presence, a few of them still stared at him but most of them didn't seem to fear him anymore. Some of them even greeted him politely.

The changelings were a different matter. Even though they did their best to act calm in his presence, he could clearly sense their nervousness. It didn't surprise him much though. The changelings knew that he wouldn't hurt them as long as they were friendly, but the fact that he could identify them immediately seemed to make them nervous nonetheless. It was only natural... after all, they were a race that depended upon disguise for survival.

He pushed the thought aside and continued his search. 'Adding glitter to your life', strange title... but it smelled nice so he added it to the other books. 'Kaleidoscope of regal fashion', he raised an eyebrow as he picked up the book and flitted through the pages. There were pictures and drawings inside, all of them showing ponies with different kinds of dresses and clothes. He couldn't help but chuckle, the colors looked insane.

He was about to put it back again when a thought crossed his mind. He still had to bring Rarity a gift for his clothes... he picked the book up again and looked at the pictures. This definitely seemed like something she'd enjoy... he added it to the pile. He had originally intended to bring her a stinger pelt for her work, but in hindsight this present seemed much better.

Next was 'Between the sheets', sounded interesting... he sniffed at it with his nose, smelled good too. He picked it up and placed it on the counter together with his other books, satisfied with his choice.

The pony did a quick count, 'Let's see, five from the normal section and one from the adult section... that makes fifteen bits, sir."

The gnoll scratched his head, "Adult section? Scar doesn't understand."

The pony pointed to one of the books, "'Between the sheets' is adult literature, sir. Do you want me to place it back? I admit it's pretty wild stuff, I've been trying to get rid of it for weeks now."

Scar picked up the little book and read a few words from it, a quick huff of surprise escaping his lips as he realized what kind of book this was. Still, he felt sorry for the little book. Books needed to be read, especially the strange ones. He weighed the book in his paw, "Is alright, Scar will take." He fished the bits out of his bag and handed them to the pony, an idea already forming in the back of his head, "Is present."

The pony seemed unsure what to say about this, "Oookay... have fun."

---

Luna read the words on the scroll carefully before turning to her sister, "What do you plan to do about this? Will you tell them?"

Celestia sighed, "No, at least not now. He and Purple Haze just only returned from their mission in Manehatten, and I wish for them to spend a few days of peace in Ponyville. It hurts my soul that every time I meet them they carry new scars."

"I understand your worries." Luna replied, "But what will we do about these news? Combined with the information we retrieved form the captured izelim it seems that a war is about to start across the sea."

"I know, but we have yet to understand how we are connected to this." Celestia stated, "Saddle Arabia has stated that their spies are keeping a watchful eye on the situation and I will trust the matter in their hoofs for the time being. At least until we find out more. For the moment, we can at least rest assured that all izelim in Equestria have been found."

"It is puzzling, don't you think?" Luna said with worry, "The Yáran kingdom is about to go to war with the Lacertidaen clans and the izelim are in the middle of it all... what could any of them possibly gain by destroying the elements of harmony? We have not had contact with these kingdoms in centuries!"

"I do not know, but I intend to find out." Celestia replied with certainty.

---

In the Ponyville library, Spike was giving Scar an uncertain look, "Sure, I can send it to her. What's it about?"

"Scar can't tell Spike, is secret between Celestia and Scar." the gnoll replied firmly. He held up the little book, "Is present too."

"Uhm... okay, I guess I can send it to her if it's a present..." Spike grabbed the book and read the title, "'Between the sheets'? What's that supposed to... you know what, never mind. I'll ask Twilight later." he sucked in a deep breath and let the green flames consume the book and take it away. When the book was gone he turned to Scar, "Alright, it's out. You think she's going to like it?"

"Scar is certain." the gnoll flashed Spike a toothy grin, "Is kind of book Celestia likes to read."

"If you say so... maybe we should have added a note saying it's from you..." Spike shrugged, "I guess it's fine anyway." he turned to Scar with a sly smile, "Soooo... what are your plans for heart and hooves day?"

Scar raised an eyebrow, "Heart and hoof what?"

Author's Note:

Hand hurts from typing... at least I can still press the caps lock with my left pinky >.<

PreviousChapters Next