• Published 5th Mar 2013
  • 9,134 Views, 3,240 Comments

My Little Caboose II: Friendship is Fragmented! - DarkWing



Church, finally freed from his stone prison after a month of having Discord trapped in his mind along with him, must readjust to the pony world with nothing but twisted memories, as well a group of equally twisted friends.

  • ...
32
 3,240
 9,134

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59 - "Raising Hell"

Carolina quickly led her men to the first of the bases, hands both wrapped tightly around the handle of her pistol. She quietly ran to the front door of the base and placed her back beside it. Peering inside, she noticed the way was clear. Looking to the men, she brought her hand up to her eyes and began to make a gesture. The men looked at each other, confused.

"What's wrong? Is there a mosquito in your helmet? I hate when that happens," Caboose said, shaking his head sympathetically.

"Just follow me," she groaned.

"Why didn't you just say that then?" Tucker inquired, walking towards her.

Carolina looked to Wash, not able to directly show him how frustrated she looked. Wash, knowing she was angry, offered her an apologetic shrug. He then raised his rifle and walked inside the base first. Carolina followed, then the rest made their way in after her.

"Ah, if it isn't our home away from home," Sarge said happily, inhaling through his nose, finding a strange inner peace as they all walked down the hallway. "Being in here is bringing back even more fond memories. Hey, Simmons. Remember that time I tried to kill Grif?"

"You mean all the time?" Simmons asked flatly.

"Yeah," Sarge chuckled, shaking his head with a smirk on his face. "Those were the days. They were simpler times. They were reder times."

"Shh," Carolina hushed.

"Hey, I'm just saying, the place still looks—"

"Be quiet," she hissed, glaring at him. "Need I remind you that there might be an army of men waiting for us here? I'd appreciate it if you'd shut the hell up that way we can get the drop on them."

"Fine then," Sarge grumbled.

"Good. Now, where is the main part of your base?"

"I thought you wanted me to be quiet."

"Don't," Wash said, instantly placing his hand on top of Carolina's gun, stopping her from pulling it up to threaten him. "It's just up ahead, the next room over. If anyone is here waiting for us, they're probably in there."

"Glad to see that their idiocy hasn't rubbed off on you," she said icily as she turned around and began to walk down the hall.

Washington then nodded at the guys and followed her close by. As Carolina neared her destination, a small thump was heard. She quickly placed her back against the wall and motioned her head at the others to stop.

"Epsilon, go around the corner and try to find out what that was," Carolina said in a hushed tone, tightening her grip on the pistol.

"Will do," Church said with a nod. Within a second, he floated to the corner and stared into the room. When he saw what the disturbance was, he instantly flew back next to Carolina and stared ahead.

"Well?" she asked.

"Yeah, uh, there's some UNSC guys in there," he muttered hastily, continuing to stare ahead at the wall. "A lot of them."

"You heard him, boys. Get ready for a fight," she said, nodding at them to take their weapons out.

"Uh, I didn't exactly say that would be necessary."

"And why wouldn't we want to get ready?" she inquired.

"Because they're all dead."

Alarmed, Carolina pulled out her magnum and turned around the corner, aiming it ahead in case of an ambush. As Church said, there were nearly a dozen men laying on the ground, lifeless. Slowly, she began to walk forward, aiming down the sights. As soon as she entered the room, she snapped to the left and then to the right. Noticing there was nothing, she lowered the gun, but still clutched it in her palm. The guys at the back looked at each other and joined Carolina in the room. Kneeling by one of the men, Carolina grabbed his arm and placed her thumb on his wrist. She then let out a sigh.

"What is it?" Washington asked, looking at the other guys.

"They're not dead, they're just knocked out," Carolina sighed, feeling the pulse of one of the soldiers. Pulling out her pistol, she put it to the side of the soldier's head and got ready to shoot. "But they will be soon."

"What are you doing?" Simmons asked nervously.

"Taking them out. These are the guys that are after the Director, but after they're through with him, they'll come straight for us. We're loose ends, and if they wake up, they will hunt us down until we're dead or they are. Personally, I don't think we have enough firepower to take out a fleet, do you?"

"At least we'd have a fighting chance," Sarge murmured. "I'm all for blood and violence, don't get me wrong, but I don't like the idea of just killing them. There's no sport in it. Maybe we could wait until they start to wake up, and then do it. That we they're not fully aware of their surrounding, but they have enough time to at least try to grab their weapons and fight back."

"That's a risk we can't take," she said.

"Carolina, we've done things your way," Washington said, pushing her gun down. "As you can tell, that hasn't been working as flawlessly as you'd like. I'm just asking that we try it our way."

"Right. We've gotten this far with me in command. What proof do you have that your way will work better? I can't see many results off of being merciful."

"These guys may seem like idiots, and sure, they pretty much all are idiots, but they work together better than the Freelancer's ever have. Together they managed to take out the Meta, and that's something even the UNSC couldn't do."

"We also stopped O'Malley from making us kill each other," Simmons piped.

"And we took out an army of insane Wyoming clones," Tucker added. "Though that was pretty much all thanks to me and my sword, if you know what I mean."

"You see? Their way gets results. They've succeeded where others have failed multiple times," Washington continued. "I'm not asking you to follow their way blindly and expect perfect results. I'm just asking you not to blindly follow your own."

Carolina broke her gaze off of Washington and looked at the helpless soldier at the end of her barrel. With a sigh, she stood up, put the gun back on her hip and began to walk towards the computers. "Fine, we'll try it your way for now."

"Thank you," Wash sighed.

"But if anything goes wrong, it'll be all on you," she added.

As Carolina went to turn on the monitor, it flicked into life itself. Taking a step back, Carolina and the men watched as the screen displayed a man with glasses grinning at them as if he had a very funny joke on his mind.

"Hello, everyone," the Director said with a tight, knowing grin on his face. "Such a pleasure to see you all again."

"Director," Carolina greeted nastily.

"Please, that was my father's name," he said, examining his fingernails. "You may call me Directord. Or Disector if you prefer, but that one seems a tad psychotic to me."

"Where are you?" she asked.

"Oh, sorry, I was just there a few moments ago, but then I went into one of the teleporters. You must have missed me," he said sincerely. He then appeared to be looking over Carolina's shoulder and his smile deepened. "Ah, I thought they would have woken up by now. I suppose my colleagues are stronger than I once thought."

"I'm surprise you didn't make your colleagues kill them when you know they're just going to come after you," she growled.

"I admit, to you I may seem like a monster, but killing is most definitely not my style," he said seriously. "I'm sure your colorful allies know that."

"I thought Carolina and I would know more about that than the Reds and Blues, don't you think?" Washington inquired, having known the Director for longer than them.

"I'm sorry, but I— wait a second. Does he still not know about me?" the Director asked, raising his brow curiously. "Interesting. I would have thought that you'd tell him all about your little adventures in the unit. Though I suppose you figured that he wouldn't quite believe you, correct?"

"What the hell is he talking about?"

"No matter," the Director said, waving his hand. "Speaking of inside the unit... Hello, Epsilon,"

"Hi," Church grunted, his AI body floating next to Carolina's head.

"Unless I'm mistaken, I thought we had a deal that you wouldn't come after me."

"Well, I guess I can say that the Alpha made you a promise. Epsilon didn't," Church stated.

"Using the old 'it wasn't me, it was the person I'm a part of' excuse. Clever," he admitted. Glancing over Carolina's shoulder once more, he shook his head and sighed. "Well, I suppose I'll be off. I have to speak to my new friends about solving some of my host's past issues. You folks seem to have some people to deal with. I'm sure their friends at the other base will be here soon, so once you're through with them, you'll have about forty others to deal with."

"What?" Carolina asked, then turned around to find the men starting to get up, groaning deeply.

"I thought killing people wasn't your style?" Church reminded him as the others readied their weapons.

"Oh, it most certainly isn't. But it is theirs," he chuckled as the screen flickered off.

PreviousChapters Next