• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 2,473 Views, 58 Comments

Super Soarin' - Brony of Truth

  • ...
4
 58
 2,473

Unwelcome Visitor

Soarin’s eyes shot open following his vague dream, panting heavily. He quickly sat up and looked around his room. Realizing that he was awake now, he wiped the sweat off his brow, and controlled his breathing repetitions back to normal and got off his bed to stand on all fours.

“Whoa…”

The sky blue Wonderbolt rolled his neck and stretched out his legs, hearing a good amount of cracks and pops at each slight movement. He started to hop and trot around his room with virtually no effort.

“Wow! I fell great!”

In fact he did feel great, better than he had ever felt in the morning at least. That was until he thought about getting breakfast, and that’s when the excruciating pain hit his empty gut.

“Oh…Celestia…I’m DYING!”

The immense amount of strength and energy had left him and a new wave of pain hit him. This pain was much different than the soreness that he had gotten over from training yesterday, but at least with this pain he knew what he could do to cure himself.

“Breakfast.”

Soarin' struggled with each step, but he eventually made it down stairs into the living room; trying to stay as quiet as possible so as to not wake his grandfather. His stomach would not make it easy for him though.

*Rumble*

“Whozzawhazit!?” The elderly pony sat up from his laying position on the couch and tried to look through closed eyes whilst moving his head to and fro.

Soarin' stood absolutely still, eyes wide, staring at his groggy relative. The steel coated unicorn eventually sighed in defeat, lying back down.

The young pegasus took this opportunity to move as quickly and quietly as possible in his emaciated state to the kitchen. He opened up his fridge and appropriately pulled out a pie that had a sticky note attached to it that said: ‘Emergency Pie’.

“Today, a great sacrifice will be made in the name of hunger. I thank thee blueberry pie for offering thyself as a tribute.” He said theatrically.

Soarin' couldn’t wait to devour his desert and skipped heating it up and simply ate it cooled. He might have preferred his pies freshly baked and warm, but any pie is a good pie when hunger strikes. After the pie was placed on the circular table, its days (or seconds) were numbered.

“Ah, that was delic…”

*Rumble*

“What? I’m still hungry?”

Soarin' again walked over to his fridge and opened it up to see only one remaining ‘emergency pie’ left. The sky blue coated pony sighed in defeat and moved on to make something else. He grabbed a plastic container that held assorted berries ranging from raspberries, strawberries, and even blackberries out of his fridge. He opened up a cabinet, grabbed a large bowl and a box that said ‘multigrain oats’ on it and placed all the items on the counter.

“That’s right, no milk.” Soarin' secretly cursed the diet of a Wonderbolt. “I guess water will have to do.”

After he mixed the items together in the bowl and added water, it didn’t take him three minutes before he was on to his second bowl. The rapid eating must have been causing quite a ruckus, for it woke the sleeping unicorn in the other room.

“You know you’re supposed to chew your food before you swallow it, right?”

This light-hearted comment ironical caused the opposite effect as some quick gags followed.

“*Cough* Gran-*cough* pa, what are you-*cough* doing here?*cough*”

Soarin’s grandfather chuckled walking into the kitchen and taking a seat next to the table. “Didn’t I answer that last night? But more importantly, how do you feel?”

“Like I was just choking on some juicy cardboard, why do you ask?”

“You know what I mean Soar-soar.”

“Pap, you know I’m 23, right? You don’t have to call me Soar-soar anymore.” Soarin' said with a hint of aggravation. “Well if you have to know whatever you did last night, worked! All of the soreness in my body is gone and I woke up with so much energy.” Soarin' then threw a couple of quick jabs in the air to emphasize how great he was feeling.

Soarin’s old relative smirked. “Well, I guess with your true powers being released, along with the 15 hours of sleep you got, it’s no wonder you feel so good.”

“Hah, I don’t know about those ridiculous powers you’re talking abou…Wait, 15 what?” Soarin' said with a little bit of fear.

“Yeah.” The elderly unicorn said motioning his hoof to the hand clock above the fridge. “It’s 10’O clock now, and I distinctly remember it being 7’O clock at night not one minute ago.”

“I’M LATE!” Soarin' yelled, tossing his now empty bowl in the sink.

“Oh, I’m sure it’s not that serious. I was actually wondering since it’s such a gorgeous day we go out and catch up on lost times.” Soarin’s grandfather said with a smile.

“No, I can’t pap. Spitfire’s gonna kill me for showing up four hours late to practice.” The pegasus put the box of multi grain oats back in the cabinet, threw away the now empty plastic container of assorted berries and trotted passed his old relative. “I really got to go, make yourself at home for now.” Soarin' then made his way into the living room, his grandfather struggling to keep up.

“Well, maybe we could go out and get some ice cream later tonight…”

“Yeah, sure, whatever, got to go.” He said now in front of his door way.

“Love you son!”

“Yep, bye.” And with that, Soarin' made one swift motion with his wings and was in the sky leaving a very powerful gust of wind in his home.

“Goodbye Soarin.” The aging pony whispered.

“Bit of a brat, don’t you think Re’em?” A voice gruff called from what seemed to be the kitchen

“What? Who’s there?”

The voice didn’t immediately respond, so Soarin’s grandfather made his way slowly to the kitchen, horn glowing in a faint yellow. When the baby blue maned unicorn made his way to the kitchen, his eyes widened at the sight of a new visitor. There sat at the small kitchen table, a pony wearing a black coat with a hood on, using both hooves to sip on a small cup of tea.

“Dusk…”

“Hello Re’em. Long time no see.” The mysterious pony said, turning his head to his visitor. With this motion, the tip of a dull gray horn was able to be seen, but the hood still shrouded the rest of his facial features in darkness.

“How did you get in?” ‘Re’em’ said with a hint of fear.

“You’d be amazed how easy it is to enter a home with no door.” Dusk said in complete sincerity.

“You know what I mean!” Soarin’s elderly relative snapped. “How long have you been in here and how did neither Soarin' nor myself notice!?”

“Re’em, you know me better than any pony. You know sneaking is my specialty.”

Dusk took a final slurp of his tea before setting the now empty cup down on the small circular table in the middle of the kitchen.

“Right, how could I forget…Shadow.” The elderly unicorn said, narrowing his eyes.

The cloaked pony lightly chuckled. “How nice of you to remember my old moniker…‘Prowler’.”

“DON’T call me that.” Re’em growled lowering his head showing that he was ready to fire any magic he could conjure.

While remaining seated, Dusk raised both hooves in the air. “Whoa, take it easy Re’em, just tryin’ to recollect old times with a friend.” He said in a calm, playful manner.

“Those ‘old times’ sucked, and even worse; they kept me from my family.”

“Oh please, don’t give me that garbage.” Dusk said lowering his hooves back down. “You and I both know that you’re lying through your teeth, and these past 11 months prove that.”

Soarin’s grandfather raised his head to show a look of complete and utter shock.

“Oh yes Re’em, I know. Your grandson’s popularity really backfired on you this time. It’s amazing how easy it is to get an address of a celebrity.”

The hooded visitor got to his hooves and began slowly approaching his ‘friend’. When Re’em finally shook out of his shock he lowered his head again as his horn began to glow in a familiar faint yellow.

“Don’t get any closer!” The old unicorn yelled.

Dusk stopped appropriately and then softly chuckled. “I would ask what you were doing for those 47 and a half weeks, but, heh, I already know that answer. You were trying to find a way to prolong the spell, weren’t you?”

The light on the old pony’s head faded as he looked away in shame.

“Thought so.” The hooded unicorn said smugly. “And I can reassure you that you couldn’t have found anything, because such a thing does not exist.”

“I…I only wanted more time.”

“Don’t we all?” Dusk said. “But unfortunately for you, that time is up.”

“What?! That’s not…you said I had a year…” Re’em stumbled over his words as he started to perspire noticeably on his forehead.

“Yes, well, things change, and it turns out that I can’t keep a single spell activated for that long, much to my dismay.”

“You…you LIAR! I bet you just want your power back is all.”

“Okay, okay, you got me. Even though you hold only a fraction of my power, I’ll need everything I can get if I want to take down your grandson.”

*Crash*

A well placed hoof found its mark on the shaded muzzle of Dusk. The strike was powerful enough to knock the unwelcome visitor to his back, sliding along the cloudy floor. He slid until he hit the back of his head on the large middle leg of the circular table causing it to fall over, along with its only content.

“YOU WON’T LAY A HOOF ON MY GRAN-”

*Crack*

A tremendous amount of force landed on the back part of Re’em’s head, causing him to fall face first on the cloudy marble floor.

“And you won’t lay another one of your dirty little hooves on my master!” A stern feminine voice commanded.

As the dazed unicorn tried to rise, a hoof was placed on the back of his neck to keep him humble.

“No need to be so rough with him Misty. He couldn’t hurt me even if I let him try…And I did let him try.”

The pressure on Soarin’s grandfather’s neck dissipated and he returned to all fours, albeit a little woozy from the blow. He must have been hit pretty hard because he thought he saw that Dusk was no longer under the table…Actually he wasn’t near the table at all. The hooded pony was leaning lazily up against the fridge, showing no signs of damage.

Re’em turned his head to look at the pony who had struck him. The mare was no taller than he, actually, a little shorter, and sported a coat much like Dusk’s, but with no hood.

Soarin’s grandfather had to ask. “Who are you?” He asked still trying to see straight.

“Oh, I’m sorry Re’em, this is my most beloved and loyal subject, Misty.”

The mare stared daggers into Re’em. Her crystal blue eyes were the most beautiful and terrifying thing he had even seen. It almost looked like she was blind, yet she couldn’t be, because she stared directly into the old unicorn eyes, unblinking.

“This beautiful pegasus mare has been my servant for about eight years now. I know you’re a little confused because you haven’t seen her before, but that’s only because you’ve never really had a reason to meet her before, so I saw to it that you didn’t.”

“And now I do have a reason for meeting her?”

“You struck The Master.” Misty muttered stoically

“Only because he threatened my grandson!”

“Oh, that reminds me!” Dusk said turning to the vanilla coated mare. “I was going to tell you later, but I guess telling you now won’t hurt. Go keep track of the ignorant Wonderbolt, I’ll catch up with you later.”

“Yes Master.”

“NO, wait!”

But before the steel coated pony could get a hold of the mare, she flew swiftly out the kitchen window. Her white and azure mixed mane and tail flowed gracefully in the air as she left an icy mist trailed her path.

The old unicorn turned to his visitor, fire in his eyes. “YOU, YOU WON’T…” That fire quickly burnt out.

A sudden pain shot through the chest of Re’em as he knelt. He began to sweat profusely even though the high atmospheric air was cool.

“Sorry Re’em, but your time is up. It’s time to collect what’s rightfully mine and eventually steal your family’s proud heritage.”

Dusk began to move towards the crippled pony, the tip of his horn glowing in an inequine dark grey.

“W-wait, you-you don’t have…it all.” Re’em struggled with every breath.

“What was that?” The hooded pony said in more amusement than curiosity.

“You…won’t be able to-to obtain the full…Wonderbolt power.

This statement piqued Dusk’s interest.

“Hmm, I have a funny feeling that you’re bluffing.”

“I’m…I’m not.” The unicorn said still struggling as his eyes started to roll back.

“Alright.” Dusk said zapping Re’em with a light grey beam instead of the aforementioned dark grey. “Elaborate.”

Soarin’s grandfather was savoring every breath. He finally, after a few moments of deep inhales and exhales, got to his hooves.

“Well?” the hooded pony said impatiently.

“His powers aren’t fully developed.”

“Like I said, elaborate.”

“I awoke his powers and they’re a little tired. It’s like when some pony wakes up, they’re tired and it takes a while before they feel one hundred percent. They need breakfast, maybe stretch a little. Are you getting what I’m saying? If you take his powers, the quality will not be enough to accomplish your goals.”

“How long will it take the power to…’wake up’?”

“I don’t know. It depends on Soarin, whether he will accept and grow his abilities, or neglect his purpose. This entirely depends on how he will react.”

“That wasn’t what I asked.”

Re’em could feel a subtle pain return to his chest with that statement.

The old unicorn winced. “Ugh, could be a week, a month, even years…we just can’t really tell. If it helps any, I could help him grow his gift and that would probably…”

“No, that won’t be necessary. I think I know a better way; and sorry to say old friend, but it doesn’t involve you.”

Re’em did not like this; his frustrated voice and angered expression showed that much. “It won’t work either way. If you are going to try to take his full power than you will fail, but if you try to take it now, not only will you fail, but even if you succeed, it will not be enough to accomplish your goals.”

“Yes, yes, you said that already. On the contrary, I will win…” The hooded pony turned his back on Re’em and began to walk away, horn glowing unbeknown to Soarin’s grandfather. “…at the cost of his life.”

The baby blue maned unicorn’s horn began to glow in a dim yellow.

“NO YOU WON’T!”

Re’em fired a magical beam, trying to take advantage of this chance.

Dusk chuckled. “Heh, fool.”