• Published 27th Oct 2012
  • 2,472 Views, 58 Comments

Super Soarin' - Brony of Truth

  • ...
4
 58
 2,472

Why Are You Here?

“Today sucked.”

An exhausted sky blue pegasus flew through the air, fighting to keep himself in the sky. This day at Wonderbolts training was especially difficult, not only because of the recent Changling invasion scare and post wedding party, but also because Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts, seemed to be a little upset about something. Sure, she was more demanding than usual, but she was acting extremely cold as well.

The stallion couldn’t quite put his hoof on what it was that was bothering Spitfire so much. Maybe it was because of the invasion…or maybe, just maybe; just hear me out on this one, maybe it was his fault. Like the time he accepted Rapidfire’s challenge to drink a whole gallon of milk in under and hour and proceeded to puke all over the Wonderbolts’ cafeteria. Or like the time he secretly sent a trick rose that sprayed water to her office. She did not like that one, but in hindsight it probably wasn’t a good idea to hide just around the corner to watch the fruits of his labor, then laugh hysterically at the success of his prank.

It couldn’t have been because he showed up late that day. Fine, it may have been a couple of days since the Wonderbolts had practiced and trained together because of the royal wedding, but tardiness was something that the stallion made sure of at least every other day. Yeah, that’s right! It couldn’t have been because he was late, because she didn’t even mention it today. She just told him to get suited up because today was going to be a tough workout.

Still, the fiery colored mare seemed to be picking on him especially. Like if he didn’t do some impossible trick like, single-handedly create a tornado or break the sound barrier, she would make him do laps around Cloudsdale coliseum; three times with his legs and five times with his wings. And, NO! Not the track inside the coliseum, the WHOLE FREAKING COLISEUM! Oh, and did I mention no water breaks? No? Well, yeah, no water breaks. The weighted saddle bag that she made him carry didn’t make things any easier either. If Spitfire was going for the, “Drill Sergeant from Tartarus award” she had his vote.

“Mares, I’ll never understand them.” Soarin sighed.

Sure, he may never understand them, but that won’t stop him from pursuing them. I mean, come on! Some of them really got it going on! Just look at Spitfire herself, she’s got to be one of the most bueatiful single mares in all of Equestria!

Soarin, despite living a quick 15 minute flight from Wonderbolts HQ and Cloudsdale coliseum, finally had his two story cloud home within his sights after half an hour of flying. Sure his house was by no means a piece of art, but with it being free (on the Wonderbolts bit) who was he to complain? It may have been a plain run of the mill cloudsdalian home, but hey, no rent!

“Let’s see door or window?” He said squinting at the front door, adjacent open window, and eventually, second floor bedroom window.

He was approaching his home at a speedy 10 miles per hour and wasn’t slowing down to open his door. Slowing down would require more effort than staying idle and letting the momentum carry him into his home.

“Window it is.” The pegasus said less than enthusiastically.

With his wings as sore as they were, there was no way he would be able to maneuver his way into his bedroom window on the second floor. So the couch in the living room on the first floor would have to do. As gracefully as he could muster, which wasn’t much, he flew in through the first floor window to the living room tucking his wings in at the last second as to not hit the window frame. Unfortunately for him, he still had momentum when he landed and his dead legs weren’t helping out in the ‘slowing’ process. So he then proceeded to stumble forward until he hit the back part of the couch and flip himself over, kicking over the lamp on the end table next to the piece of furniture.

“Ow…”

Soarin probably would have gotten up to clean the mess that he made (sweep it under the rug or couch, whichever was more convenient), but he landed in a somewhat comfortable position on the couch, and wasn’t about to use energy again.

As tired as he was physically he was still racing mentally.

Sure Spitfire’s hot, but she sure had a hard time being cute. Fleetfoot had a good amount of cuteness, but you would be hard pressed to compare her to Spitfire in terms of hot. It doesn’t mean that he would be opposed to dating her. (This is just strictly in terms of rating…REALLY!) Then there is Surprise...you know what, detail wouldn't even need to be required, you just need to know she’s got too much energy for one pony to handle.

“Rainbow Dash.” Soarin sighed out loud to no pony in particular.

Well that was strange. He wasn’t even thinking about her! The dark blue maned stallion just said her name instinctively; and instantly, because of those two words, he was going through all the files about her he had stored in his mind. They hung out together at the wedding right after she performed her sonic rainboom. That was something else. Soarin had never seen something so beautiful in his life, and she herself was easy on the eyes as well. Whenever she smiled it was easily the most adorable thing Soarin had ever had the privilege to lays eyes on. Not to mention her Beauty was near, if not on the same level as Spitfire’s!

A plume of smoke made its way inside his nostrils, which he breathed in.

“Smokin’ hot.”

He sniffed the smoke again.

“Smoking? Smoke?” Soarin followed his nose and focused his eyes to the black smog in front of him. And where there is smoke, there is…“FIRE!” The light blue pegasus yelled as jumped off the couch and flew to the closed front door completely forgetting about the soreness all over his body…and that doors don’t open automatically. He then proceeded to ram the door knocking it off its hinges and falling to the ground below, along with the door.

“AAHH! I’M GONNA DIE!” Soarin yelled covering his eyes with his fore hooves. “Wait, I have wings!”

After the ‘derp-endous' epiphany, Soarin spread his wings and faced downward. Using the momentum of his fall, he pulled up, eventually going completely vertical. He soon reached where his front door used to be and landed expertly just inside his home.

“Aww, Yeah! Like a pro-o-OHMYCELESTIAMYWINGSHURTSOMUCH!” He cried falling into a crumpled heap on the cloud paved floor. The lightly shaded blue pegasus laid on the ground for several moments, moaning.

Soarin perked his ears up when he heard a well tuned whistle coming from some pony in the kitchen. The sore stallion lifted his head to see the smoke was emanating from his precious ‘Food Storage Facility’.

The pegasus forgot about the soreness and sprinted full force into one of his favorite places in his cloud home.

“HOOVES OFF MY PIES YOU DEVIENT SACK OF…” Before Soarin’s pitifully copied kung fu kick almost came in contact with the intruder, the pegasus stopped himself mid flight to look more closely at his oddly familiar guest.

The steel coated unicorn turned around from the frying pan that was incinerating ‘something’, coughing all the while, and looked upon the stunned stallion.

“Soar my boy!” The elderly stallion said ecstatically. His mustard yellow eyes were practically glowing from how bloodshot they were.

“Grandpa?!?” Soarin said landing prone on his kitchen floor, jaw hanging agape.

“Oh-hohoho Soar-soar my little grandfoal, I haven’t seen you in forever!” The elderly stallion ran up to his much younger relative and proceeded to pick his head up around his neck to hug him tightly, nearly blocking Soarin’s circulation to his brain. “How have you been little Soar? You know you’ve gotten quite heavy since the last time I held you. One of these days..." He stifled a sniff. "...you’ll be too big for your old pap to pick you up."

Soarin’ sighed and picked himself off the floor where he then stood in front of his emotional grandfather. When he got to all fours he broke free of the elderly stallion’s grip.

“Grandpa, how are you even standing up here? This entire house is made up of nothing but condensed clouds.”

“Cloud walking spell. Geez, don’t they teach you kids anything in school these days?”

Soarin’ walked over to the smoky frying pan and removed it from the stove while also turning it off.

“You know son, you should probably get a new stove. This one seems to be lacking in its cooking ability.”

“It’s not the only thing.” Soarin’ muttered under his breath before turning back to his grandfather.

“So how has school been these days; those colts in the upper grades still pickin’ on you?”

Soarin’ sighed. “Grandpa.”

“And what about that shy little filly you had crush on, you still not together with her yet?”

“Grandpa.”

“Oh, sorry I keep yammering on, it’s just been so long since I saw you.”

“PAP!”

“Yes Soar-soar?” the old pony said, a goofy grin plastered on to the old stallion’s muzzle, eyes still bloodshot from the smoke.

“What are you doing here?”

“What? I can’t be a good pappy and visit my favorite grandfoal?

Soarin facehoofed before speaking again. “Grandpa…I’m your only grandfoal.”

“I know that Soar! Just promise me you’ll change that once you graduate school, because you know that in-laws count as well.”

“Grandpa I graduated high school seven years ago. I’ve been apart of the Equestrian Air Force for the past four years; where’ve you been?!” Soarin asked rhetorically, then instantly regretting the question.

Soarin’s grandfather’s demeanor changed to a more depressed state. “Really...has it…has it really been that long?” The old pony then looked off into space trying to recollect any time that he might have lost with his only grandfoal.

Soarin saw the dismay on his grandfather’s face and sighed. He felt bad for his grandpa. The light blue pegasus knew that his elderly relative had been absent for not only most of his grandfoal’s life, but his own foal’s as well. And he would never be able to make it up to his son, at least not anymore.

“Pap, I’m sorry for bringing that up, but…”

“No, no, you’re right.” The old pony interrupted looking back at Soarin with heavy eyes. “I missed a lot in your life and even more in my son’s life…t-there’s no excuse for my negligence as a father.” A single tear fell from Soarin’s grandfather’s left eye.

“Well, if it’s any consolation Pap.” Soarin allowed a small smile creep up on his face. “I had a great father, so his father must have been just as great.”

The elderly stallion’s smile returned to him after that statement. “Thanks son.” He then walked up to his grandchild and gave him a hug, which Soarin’ returned. “Heh, looks like you finally out grew you old colt.” The ‘old colt’ was referring to the fact that Soarin was half a head taller than himself now.

“Yeah, time and a little bit of exercise can work wonders on a pony’s growth.”

It was funny to Soarin, he couldn’t remember the last time he hugged any member of his family, let alone his grandfather. They finally let go of their embrace after several seconds. After they broke, Soarin wanted to get back on the topic at hoof.

“Why are you here?”

“You don’t waste time do? You certainly have become a good stallion.” The steel colored unicorn began to walk to the egress that led to the living room before turning back to Soarin. “Come with me, this will take some time to explain.”

As the baby blue maned unicorn left the room, Soarin just stood in the middle of the kitchen with a puzzled look on his face. What could his grandfather, his last known living relative, possibly have to tell him? Perhaps it was a hidden family fortune. Maybe he needed a place to stay because he can no longer support himself because of his elderly age…uh, oh…

“Oh Celestia, no.” Soarin muttered aloud.

“THIEF!” Soarin’s grandfather yelled from the living room. Soarin shook back into reality and dashed into the living room.

“HOOVES OFF MY PIES YOU DEVIANT SACK OF…wait.”

Soarin exited the airspace of his living room and broke his kung fu kick stance to observe the almost empty room. His eyes scanned the room moving from couch, to recliner, coffee table, and finally, end table.

“Grandpa…there’s, no pony here…” The oxford blue maned stallion muttered with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

Soarin’s grandfather spun his head around, face showing that he was in complete disbelief at what his grandson just said…or about something else, Soarin couldn’t tell.

“Are you blind son!? Do you not see that your nice lamp has been knocked over?”

“It’s not that nice.”

“Or that your once grand front door is not only off his hinges, but is completely missing from your house?”

“Yeeaah…about that…” Soarin said, smiling awkwardly.

“We are clearly dealing with an expert door thief!” The old stallion then began to pace in front of Soarin, eyes cast on the ground in deep contemplation. “We must do something about this injustice! I propose we get in touch with the military immediately!” He said with the upmost conviction.

“For a door theft?”

“You’re right Soarin, the military’s incompetence is unbelievable these days.”

“I work for the military!”

“Then I guess our next best option is to request an audience with Princess Celestia.”

“It’s a door.”

“Well, I guess it is a LITTLE overboard to get Celestia involved.” The old pony looked at the new gaping hole in the cloud home, rubbing his chin vigorously. “Yes, I agree. PRINCESS LUNA IT IS! I’ve always wanted to see if she was into well seasoned, and might I add, attractive unicorns.

“What?”

“Now about that audience…”

“Pap, I got rid of it.”

“You did what now?” The elderly stallion finally looked at his younger counter part with a puzzled look, expecting a good excuse for this one.

“Yeah I got rid…of it, the door I mean.”

“Why?” Soarin’s grandfather asked quickly.

“I, uh, donated it?” Soarin flashed a goofy grin.

“You donated it?”

“Yep. I donated it.” Soarin said with a little more conviction.

“To what organization?”

“The what?”

“You heard me. To what organization?” Soarin’s grandfather started to eye him suspiciously causing the younger pony to start sweating again for the millionth time today.

“The, uh…the, uh orphanage.”

“Orphanage?”

“Yeah, the orphanage for uh, let’s see, for…’Misplaced Kittens Where There Are a Severe Lack of Doors.’”

“The Orphanage for Misplaced Kittens Where There Are a Severe Lack of Doors? Wow Soarin…just, wow.” The old unicorn said, closing his eyes in an almost disappointing way.

The young pegasus sighed in defeat. “Yeah, yeah. I know…”

Soarin’s grandfather then opened his eyes to look at the young sky blue pegasus. It looked like he was about to cry. “You son, have a heart of gold.”

HE BELIEVED THAT! “Uh, yeah, they were really struggling and I just felt like it was my uh, responsibility to help in any way I could!” The Wonderbolt said proudly.

“Outstanding! That’s my colt!” The old stallion started to trot up to Soarin showing that he was going to give him a hug.

Soarin held out his hoof to stop his grandfather’s advance. “Uh, grandpa, you were going to tell me why you’re here.” He said with annoyance creeping in on his statement.

“Oh, right.” The old equine’s attitude got more solemn and he proceeded to walk to the front of the couch where he thus sat. “Come sit. Unless you prefer to stand; this is pretty big news.”

Soarin’s muscles screamed at him to sit down. The young pegasus quickly obliged his surprisingly intelligent muscular system and sat down on the recliner perpendicular to the couch.

“I guess I should start with your cutie mark, as I’m sure you’ve wanted to know your whole life as to why it is the exact same as the Wonderbolts symbol.”

“Well, actually dad told me…”

“It’s called an inherent marking, and it’s only suppose to…”

“Pap! I already know what an inherent mark is. It’s when a cutie mark or relative mark is passed down in the family genes. Apparently some pony back in our family history had this same mark, and now I have it. Dad did tell me getting the same mark is incredibly rare though, but still.”

Soarin’s grandfather began to smirk. “Did he tell you how rare it was?”

“Well…not how rare, only that it barely ever happens.”

“I’ll tell you how rare.” The elderly pony said matter-of-factly earning Soarin’s undivided attention. “It only happens in this family.”

The young pony’s eyes grew to the size of dinner plates.

“What…?”

“Yes Soar, it only happens in our family. The last member to have that mark was my grandfather, your great, great grandfather; whom you’ve been named after.”

“My…great, great…great, wait a minute. How many greats?” Soarin stuttered.

“Yes! Another interesting fact is that the mark goes all the way back to the origins of the Wonderbolts; all the way back to the ‘Wondrous Lightning Bolt.’ Lightning Bolt, the first Pegasus to ever break the sound barrier AND your ancestor, was called by the princesses themselves to lead the pegasus race to peace. After the decent of Commander Hurricane following the first fall of Discord, the pegasus race was left leaderless and scrambled. Princess Celestia decided that direct order from her or her sister would seem tyrannical, so she appointed Lightning Bolt to lead them. With the new power of authority, she blessed him with amazing physical abilities so that he would not only lead them, but be able to protect them as well.”

“I don’t get it. What does that have to do with me?” Soarin was following, but with such a vague story he didn’t have much to go on.

“The blessing didn’t stop with Lightning. It continues on through our family, all the way to you!” The old pony began to smile; a hint of nostalgia seemed to come with it.

“But I’m nothing THAT amazing. Sure I’m a Wonderbolt and I’m a good flyer, but I have a hard time beating Rapidfire in a race, let alone Spitfire or Fleetfoot!”

“That’s because you haven’t awoken your power yet!”

“What? What power?”

“The power that is stored within you! And with my help you’ll be able to break the sound barrier at will; you’ll have the strength of 20 stallions!” The old pony got of the couch and spoke passionately. “Soarin, you’ll have all of your senses heightened! You will become the greatest you that you will ever be! Nothing will be able to stop you.

“How? How are you going to do that pap?” The light blue pegasus was getting more unconvinced the more his grandfather was speaking. Sure he was old, but Soarin didn’t think that his grandpa had gone completely insane.

The old unicorn’s horn began to glow in a faint yellow as he turned back to his grandson. “You want to know how?”

With a glowing horn pointed straight at him, Soarin naturally had to ask. “Pap, what are you…”

*Zap*

Soarin removed his forelegs from his face and opened his eyes to see his coffee table had been blasted in two. “GRANDPA! What are you doing!?” Soarin yelled jumping off the recliner.

“Hah, how do you feel?” The old unicorn said lifting his head to observe the non-existent results. “Oh, I missed. Hm…let’s try that again.”

“NO WAIT!”

*Zap*

“MY CHAIR!” Aforementioned ‘chair’, which Soarin had just hopped off of, was now in pieces.

“Oh, did I miss again?” Soarin’s grandfather said with an awkward smile

“PAP! Stop blasting my home!” Needless to say, Soarin was unappreciative on the new lay out of his living room furniture.

The elderly unicorn rubbed his chin and spoke to himself. “Maybe I’m not using the right spell.” While Soarin was pathetically weeping in fetal position on what used to be his recliner, his ‘pap’ was conjuring up a different spell. The unicorn’s horn then started to glow in a magnificent golden aura. “Okay, I think this is the one!”

*Sniff* “You think wha…”

*ZAP*

This time hitting the correct target, the golden aura enveloped Soarin as he began to float, not under his own power. The bright aura began to glow brighter and brighter until…

*Thump*

“Ow.” Said the prone baby blue pegasus.

“Woo, that was somethin’ Soar. Do you feel super powerful yet?” Soarin’s grandfather’s legs began to wobble. “Wow, who turned off the gravity and turned on the vertigo?” He then collapsed appropriately.

“Ugh, pap, what the hay was that? Pap?” The young Wonderbolt then got to his hooves and walked slowly over to his grandfather. “Pap, you alright?” Soarin said with a hint of worry in his voice.

“Mnya…extra pickles…please.” The sleeping unicorn said with goofy grin plastered on his face.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Soarin took this moment of peace to think. His grandfather was passed out on his living room floor which he almost destroyed and he had no place to stay. “Well, I guess you can crash here tonight.” The younger pony proceeded to grab onto his grandfather’s left foreleg and drag him over to the only piece of cushioned furniture left in his living room, his couch. After Soarin laid his older relative on the soft structure he noticed that his soreness had reprieved and in its place was an incredible tiredness that the young pegasus could not believe.

Soarin felt like he could pass out at any moment. This sensation gave him yet another reason to ‘hit the hay’, so to speak. When the sky blue Wonderbolt reach his cloud bed, which he made himself, it didn’t take him five seconds before he drifted off into unconsciousness and was lost to his dreams.

---

Help! Somepony please, help! My foal needs help!

Please welcome Equestria’s newest hero, Soarin!

Have you really cared about me this whole time?

You are correct sir! I did end him! HAHAHAHAHA

...

YOU SAID YOU LOVED ME! YOULIARIhateyouhelpthanksyou’reaheroflyuntouchablemaybeyoushouldthinkthisthroughSoarinpleaseyoupromisedfamilySoarinthinkdon’tdieSoarinforaslongasi’veknownyouSoarinSOARINSTAYALIVE…

SOARIN!

… …I love you…

Author's Note:

Last edited: 7/4/13.