• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 8,828 Views, 205 Comments

Harmony of the Heart - Archivist Nightwatch



Heartbroken Spike finds love where he never expected.

  • ...
28
 205
 8,828

3. Jaw meet Floor, Floor meet Luna

Canterlot Castle: 1 minute prior to Sweetie getting her Cutie Mark

Princess Celestia was, yet again, entertaining her spoiled nephew, Prince BlueBlood, as he went off on why Ponyville should be put under martial law and the Elements of Harmony locked into the dungeons below. ‘Oh if only I was a better ruler I would banish this spoiled brat to the moon, or better yet some faraway star.’

Normally if all she had to do was listen to Blueblood rattle on and on she would be happy, but this day had been downright dreadful. To say she had a bad day at court would be an understatement. Normally the “evils” of court was split up by some of her little ponies coming in to ask her to bless their wedding or unborn child. Unfortunately today none had come so the little bit of time she truly enjoyed about court was missing, which unfortunately gave Celestia a very bad day.

At this point she focused back on Blueblood who was still going on about how Ponyville could be stripped of all land ownership and how the Everfree could be turned into one of the largest exporters of Fine wood products. Bad Luck decided it picked on her enough though.

Suddenly Celestia felt something she hadn’t felt in a very long time, well not that long in her standards, nevertheless it had been over 15 years since this sensation overcame her. It felt like a wave of power radiated over her. This wave carried a hint of peace like everything was right in the world and as Celestia knew something indeed was very, very right.

Not 10 seconds passed before a deep blue flash darkened the room. Blueblood fell backwards in shock while Celestia just turned to the source. “Good evening sister. You felt it as well I take it? One moment please.” She stated turning to Blueblood. “Sorry to cut your presentation on how getting rid of Ponyville would help the world but something of importance has arisen and it will need to be seen to immediately.” Blueblood noted a tone of urgency and bid a hasty farewell before exiting.

Within seconds of Blueblood leaving Celestia had erected a sound barrier around the courtroom and turned back to Princess Luna. “You felt the wave of harmony pass by as well I take it?”

Luna had a very foal like grin on her face, which Celestia took to mean she was excited by the prospect of a new Alicorn. “I most certainly did Tia. I do hope it’s a new Alicorn the only other one in existence is off in the Crystal Empire most likely giving my night a very naughty show.” Luna had just recently perfected modern equestrian which Celestia was immensely grateful for.

“I do hope you give them some privacy or else she might just learn of some of your ‘activities’.” A predator like gaze shifted to Luna momentarily before the forever passive happy face everyone sees slipped back in place. Luna paled a bit at the threat.

“Oh of course not, dear sister. I would never spy on the only other Alicorn in existence like that.” Luna stated with a very guilty grin on her face. Quickly trying to draw attention away from her extracurricular activities Luna intercepted her sister’s next sentence. “Maybe we should try and find where this wave of harmony originated? I am sure you would love to know what started it.” Luna knew her sister had an insatiable appetite for knowledge.

At this Celestia’s face shifted into a small smile, this one not the passive mask that she wears eternally, but a genuine one that indicated she was indeed wondering where the wave had originated. “You didn’t happen to notice the direction it came from did you Luna?” At her sister’s denial Celestia continued. “Unfortunately neither did I.” It was late, by Celestia’s standards, she had set the sun about 2 hours ago and she would normally be in bed. Her headache, from the long and exasperating day, still hung to her and she just wanted to get some rest. “Luna I am exhausted. In my current state I don’t think I could help you find the source even if I tried. I will leave you to track the wave while I retire.” Without much time to argue Celestia dispelled the Soundproofing and turned to exit. Luna just stared into the space Celestia had occupied a moment ago pondering what her next move would be.

The following morning Celestia found the headache she had to be completely gone and with the issue of the newest wave she was able to call off all meetings for the day and focus only on the task of finding the source of the wave. After convening with Luna on what she learned, which was nothing, Celestia knew that if anything she could find something in her private study. It was, after all, where she kept all of the information she had collected over her long life about harmony and its effects on the populace.

Celestia knew that it wasn’t just Alicorns that could create a wave of harmony there was actually two other occurrences that she could think of off the top of her head. One had occurred 15 years ago when she had found Twilight. The wave she was able to pinpoint had come from two directions one from manehatten and one from right in Canterlot. The wave that started in Canterlot had been from Twilight herself when the Element of Magic had attuned itself to her and the other had been from the combined forces of the other elements attuning to their respective holder.

The other occurrence had been when a Harmony Dragon had ascended into its magical state. That had been several thousand years ago though. They were even rarer than Alicorns; well the ones that ascended were at least. Celestia had found that most Harmony Dragons only ever chose a pony or griffon as their mate so while it might be a Harmony Dragon isn’t named one until it ascends which is why as of recently none had appeared. No dragons ever fell in love with a pony or griffon anymore.

‘Let’s see here’ Celestia thought to herself as she started pulling books from the shelf. ‘We have the book on dragons that I wrote 400 years ago. The Ascension of Alicorns, that one was by Starswirl. Ahh and here is the last one the Flow of Harmony. These three books should help me track down what caused the wave of harmony that passed over Equestria recently.

No sooner did she let the books rest on her desktop, a green flame coalesced into a scroll before her face. Knowing this was too much to be a coincidence Celestia quickly unraveled the scroll and learned of what had occurred in Ponyville. As she read her pupils shrank to pinpricks. Grabbing a sheet of paper from off of her table she quickly scribbled a note to Twilight explaining what page to find the information on. She didn’t even care that it lacked the royal seal as she quickly sent the book and letter on the way.

Nanoseconds later she was falling 2 feet from the air above Luna. “LUNA WAKE UP!!!” The volume just short of the Royal Canterlot Voice knocked, the still in shock, Alicorn from her bed.

“I’m up!!!” Luna whimpered as she pulled herself from the floor “What could possibly be important enough to wake me from my slumber?”

Celestia, with a knowing smile, answered in an excited tone. “Why a new Prince Harmony Dragon that’s what.” Luna’s jaw came oddly close to the floor. Unfortunately that was before her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she hit it herself.