• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 1,461 Views, 49 Comments

Strings - Slingshot619



Octavia is tired of the fragile strings that occupy her cello, but a new solution rises.

  • ...
5
 49
 1,461

Chapter 4: Wasted

Lulz. Another short chapter. By the way, I'm going to need help from you guys. I am completely clueless right now as I have no ideas on chapter names. Suggestions are welcome. Just leave a suggestion in the comments below.


Octavia woke up the next morning and found a newspaper on her doorstep. She picked it up and read the headline.

Wonderbolts down a member

Last night, Wonderbolt member Soarin' was found mutilated and murdered in his hotel room, his tendons were removed and not a single one was left behind. Witnesses say they claimed to have seen a grey mare enter the room with him, but she was not seen exiting the room.

No wonder that colt looked so familiar. It was Soarin'. Octavia remembered him from the Gala. She tossed it aside and put on her collar. She decided to leave the cello behind today. She locked the door and went out to Lyra's.

Octavia walked the deserted streets. Nopony else was occupying the roads. Octavia knocked on Lyra's door. Octavia saw a flash of aquamarine and she was dragged inside by Lyra. She seemed pretty scared.

"What are you doing?!"

"Excuse me?"

"The killer might be out there!"

Octavia rolled her eyes. She looked around and found out that Lyra had put the whole place in lockdown mode. Octavia watched as the aquamarine unicorn paced around.

Lyra levitated a bat with her magic and cowered in a corner. Octavia went over and tried to comfort her. Alas, it was no use. Octavia said goodbye and went out to look for the Doctor.

Octavia walked the streets in search of the brown colt. She lingered around, she felt someone creeping up on her, she looked around and saw nopony. She felt like someone was watching her. Octavia was anxious, she felt the tension in the air. It was as if the whole world was holding their breath, waiting for something to pop out.

Octavia heard the familiar sound of hooves against stone. She looked around and found no one. Her breathing got heavy as she felt an entity approach her.

"Hello my dear."

She turned around to find the Doctor with his calm look as if sneaking up on mares was completely normal. Octavia kept her calm collected look, but inside she was breathing a huge sigh of relief.

"Would you like to join me for lunch?"

Octavia agreed and soon entered a quiet cafe.

"So, here is Octavia. Best cello player in Equestria. And also ice cold murderer."

Octavia stared at him with eyes wide with shock.

"How did you-?"

"I know everything."

"But how did you know?"

"My dear, emotions are always present regardless of how good you are. I sense the fear and guilt around you. You murdered Soarin' last night. And you even took my advice."

Octavia stared at him. He still had a calm reassuring smile on his face.

"I'm not going to stop you. But isn't murder a bit too high of a price just for fame and fortune?"

Octavia stared back at him. For the first time since Pinkie interrupted her, she was dumbfounded. They ate their lunch in silence and Octavia went back to her hotel room. She entered and found a letter on the table. She opened it and found this.

"Dear Octavia,

This is Bezier here, the judge from the competition. The competition has been cancelled due to reasons I think you know. I hope you're not upset. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Octavia stared at the letter for a while. All this trouble, just for nothing. Octavia put the letter back in the envelope and tossed it on the table. Octavia was determined to give those judges the best performance they ever saw.

Whether they wanted to, or not.