• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 1,461 Views, 49 Comments

Strings - Slingshot619



Octavia is tired of the fragile strings that occupy her cello, but a new solution rises.

  • ...
5
 49
 1,461

Chapter 2: Sacrifice

Octavia stared out the train window as it brought her back to Canterlot. Her tryout had gone horrible. She could've done it, but alas, her bold achievement was what caused her downfall. If only she had gone for something simple, something with less risk.

Octavia stared into the night sky as the train roared through the canyon. She continued scolding herself until she felt a hoof on her shoulder. She looked back and saw a worried looking Lyra staring back at her.

"Hey there."

Octavia ignored her and continued staring into the lifeless scenery outside the train. Lyra had cheered up quite quickly, much faster that Octavia expected.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. You win some you lose some, it's not your fault you couldn't get in."

Octavia ignored the aquamarine mare and continued being sad. She heard Lyra sigh and sit down on her seat. Octavia didn't mind. She still had plenty of room to sit on.

"Not cheering up huh? Will a hug change your mind?"

Octavia turned once more and saw Lyra with her arms held open, she waited for approximately 5 minutes while Octavia stared back at her, her face showing no signs of emotion.

"Don't leave me hanging."

Octavia finally embraced Lyra in a sisterly hug, she felt the tears come out and roll down Lyra's back as she thought about all she had to go through just to fail. Lyra held Octavia back at arm's length and stared at her reassuringly with her golden eyes.

"It's okay. Who needs them anyways."

Lyra went back to sitting in her weird human-like way again. Octavia watched her and raised an eyebrow.

"I honestly do not have a clue why anypony would want to sit like that."

Lyra looked back at her and raised her eyebrow.

"Why wouldn't they?"

Octavia let out a soft, cute giggle.

"Silly mare."

Octavia cheered up almost instantly. Octavia hopped off at Canterlot while Lyra and Bon-Bon would go back to Ponyville. Octavia trudged back to her home. It wasn't as fancy as Rainbow Dash's. Nor was it a run down apartment. It was average at best, Octavia entered the humble home and walked to her bedroom. She unbuttoned her collar and stared into the mirror. She kept glancing at her silky black mane.

Snap out of it! It's insanity and you know it.

Octavia kept staring. Then, she gave up. She brought her hoof to her mane, and pulled. She let out a small scream of pain, but she calmed down eventually. She strung her hair on the cello and proceeded to play.

Was it because of the anger she felt? Maybe she had finally snapped. But she had just strung her own hair on her cello. Octavia played and found out that her cello played even better than before, much smoother. But she tried to once again play the song that caused her downfall. And the results were identical.

Octavia wasn't dissapointed. In fact she was intrigued. if the hair played so well, could there somehow be any other substitute? Octavia pondered that thought for a awhile. She decided to go see her old friend Lyra back in Ponyville. Canterlot didn't have any clinics or hospitals, and Ponyville was the closest town. Maybe Lyra could help her.

The next morning, Octavia woke up. She got up and pushed open the curtains. The sunlight bathed her sleek gray body, she stretched and walked into the bathroom. She turned on the shower and a jet of warm water splashed against her. she put the soap on her hooves and ran them down her curvy, slim body.

Octavia finished her shower and put on her collar and bow. She got her cello case and headed for the train station. She caught the next train to Ponyville and waited for the train to arrive. It didn't take long, and soon she hopped off and went in search of her friend Lyra.

Octavia found her apartment and entered. She knocked on the door and Lyra answered. no surprise. Bon-Bon usually worked during this time. Lyra had a seductive kind of look on her face.

"So, back for more?" Lyra said waggling her eyebrows

"Lyra, you know i'm straight."

"Yea, I know."

Lyra invited her in and she hauled her massive instrument through the doorway. Octavia found a sofa and sat. Lyra leaped into a recliner and sat in that weird position again.

"So, why did you come?"

"I need help. I found out last night that our hair made good cello strings......"

Lyra raised an eyebrow

"Don't judge me. So, our hair made excellent cello strings. But I need something more durable, I was hoping you could show me some scientist or doctor who could help me."

Lyra got up, grabbed Octavia by the hoof and dragged her.

"Where are you taking me?"

"To the asylum. You've clearly snapped from all that pressure. Nobody's mad enough to use their own hair for an instrument."

Octavia snatched her hoof away from Lyra.

"I'm not insane. I was just wondering."

Lyra sighed and pointed at a brown stallion that was walking by.

"That is Doctor Hooves. He should be able to help you."

Octavia approached the stallion and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around.

"How may I help you?"

"Yes, I was wondering if there were any material that would make an excellent cello string."

Doctor Hooves stared at her and tilted his head sideways.

"I guess there is hair, it should work."

"I need something more durable."

Doctor Hooves puts his hooves on his chin and starts stroking.

"I have a suggestion. But you'd have to be frothing at the mouth crazy to try this."

Octavia stared back at him with determination in her eyes.

"So, you are crazy. I like that."

"Just cut to the chase."

"Pony guts."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Tendons are suggested for maximum durability."

Octavia almost had a heart attack. She couldn't do it. She thanked Hooves and left. Before she could, she heard him call her name.

"Say, anytime you're free, i'd like to know you a bit better. You'll find me somewhere around here."

Doctor Hooves winked and ran off. Leaving Octavia standing there. She eventually found the feeling in her legs and walked away.

Octavia got a room in a small hotel and plopped her stuff down. She entered and almost immediately the front desk called her down.

"What is it?"

"A gentlecolt would like to see you."

Octavia grumbled and made her way down again. She reached the front desk and found a familiar face, he had white fur and a flowing purple mane. It was the first judge from the competition. He was the only one to vote for her. But what was he doing here?

"If i'm not mistaken, you must be Octavia."

"Exactly."

"I loved your performance, so I would like to invite back for a second chance."

Octavia couldn't believe her ears.

"Try not to break the strings this time will you?"

And with that he left. Leaving Octavia with a very, very, important decision.

To kill, or not to kill.