• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 1,461 Views, 49 Comments

Strings - Slingshot619



Octavia is tired of the fragile strings that occupy her cello, but a new solution rises.

  • ...
5
 49
 1,461

Chapter 1: Snap

Octavia was a good cellist. No, she was a great cellist. But she can only do so much, the fragility of her cello strings hinder her from achieving stardom. But one night, a terrifying idea changes all that.

It happened one starry night. It was one of the most important performances in Octavia's life. Far more important than the time she played at the Grand Galloping Gala. If Octavia managed to impress the judges she would make it to stardom. She waited backstage for her name to be called. She watched as ponies of all species went out to play. All of them, fueled by their passion for music.

Octavia had been invited when a scout found her and suggested her. She was playing a simple little ditty when the scout found her. She had been flawless during her time as a cellist which is why the scout got her invited.

The song she was about to play was intense, it was fast, under normal circumstances she would never play this kind of a song. But she needed something new and fresh to get her over. Octavia wasn't sure if the strings on her cello could withstand all that damage. She had played it during practice, but after playing Octavia would always have to replace the strings with new ones. She continued practicing while the other performers went on stage. One of which was Lyra Heartstrings. One of her close friends.

Octavia watched as Lyra went out with a golden harp. She heard Lyra play a little ditty they once used to play together. Lyra called it "Tugging At The Heartstrings". She could just play it herself, but it sounded much more better with a cello in the mix. Octavia and Lyra first played it at their school concert. And right after the performance, Octavia's career kicked off.


Octavia listened to the sad song, it was beautiful, memories of their childhood came back. How they first played it, it also marked the night the two musical mares branched off. Octavia would go for a grander stage, while Lyra would stay behind and continue being an everyday mare.

Today she was looking to change that. If the judges approved she could go on to play in a band like Octavia, or become the next musical icon, the possibilities were endless. Lyra did quite good. But only time will tell if she ever made it.

Octavia noticed the music had stopped. Octavia watched as Lyra walked back stage, tears streaming down her face as Bon-Bon comforted her. Octavia watched as Lyra left, depressed by her loss.

Come on Octavia, you can do this. Just focus.

Octavia glanced back at her cello. She needed to make them more resistant, doubling the amount of string would only make matters worse. Octavia continued practicing, unaware of the pony that was sneaking up behind her.

"YO 'TAVI!"

Octavia almost had a heart attack. She glanced back and saw Vinyl Scratch standing there. Her childhood friend Vinyl Scratch, better known as DJ-PON3, had the same passion for music as her. Vinyl Scratch played loud music, she would be found in the wildest of parties. Meanwhile on the other hand was Octavia, her style was more on the quiet and subtle type, she would usually play on formal gatherings. Though their styles are rather different, they were close friends.

"Darn Vinyl! Not now, don't you see i'm busy?"

Vinyl raised an eyebrow and stared at the nervous Octavia.

"Nervous much?"

Octavia ignored the white pony and continued practicing. She hadn't tried playing the song yet, she had to try and save it for the performance. Octavia replaced the worn out strings with brand new ones for maximum durability. She waited while Vinyl continued rambling on about her recent concerts and what not.

Octavia's name was finally called and she went on stage, she stared at the judges, Octavia prepared her cello and waited for the judges to give her the cue. When they did, Octavia played like she never played before. Not a single note was messed up, not a single beat out of place.

But it all came crashing down when one of Octavia's strings broke. She panicked but continued, the show must go on. She forged on and another string broke. She didn't stop, yet another string broke. By now it was pointless to keep playing, she stopped and the judges went on to do their job.

Octavia waited for the results. The first judge raised his sign revealing a tick. Great, now she needs just one more. The second judge raised her sign, showing a minus. The third judge really took his time, everyone waited for a full 3 minutes before he raised his sign, revealing a minus.

Octavia stared at the ground in depression. All that hard work was for nothing, all that hard work wasted. Just because her instrument couldn't take it. Octavia bowed and went backstage where an upbeat Vinyl Scratch was waiting.

"So 'Tavi, how'd it...... oh."

Vinyl Scratch realized the sadness in Octavia's eyes. She tried to comfort her, but there simply was no comforting. Octavia was crushed. Her dreams had once again slipped through her grasp.

She ignored Vinyl Scratch and trudged into the gardens. She watched all the birds, and little animals come out. They kept their distance though. Almost as if they sensed her depression.

Octavia stared into a pond and saw a sad mare looking back at her. All she needed was better strings for her cello and she could do it. Octavia looked around for something, anything to replace her cello strings. She stared back into the water and took note of her shiny long flowing mane. She stared at it and noticed that it looked kind of like cello strings.

Octavia started to put two and two together and a crazy idea popped into her mind.

Could it work? No, it's foolish to even think about it. you'd have to be crazy to try out such nonsense.

Octavia stared at her reflection for a while before she finally got up and headed back stage. Little did she know, that her little idea, would later become the secret of her success.