• Published 19th May 2024
  • 94 Views, 4 Comments

A Fancy New Orange - Visharo



A tale of events that happen after a terrible storm

  • ...
 4
 94

Applejack Lost

Chapter 1: Applejack Lost

Applejack was bucking down trees when the storm came. The whole day it was sunny, beautiful even. She woke up at 5, like every other day. She marched down to the orchard and began to harvest apples, just like every other day. Every so often, she would see Big Mac working on the other side of the orchard as well as Apple Bloom running around with the other Cutie Mark Crusaders. It was a beautiful day indeed.

Then, without warning, storm clouds began to roll in over Ponyville. Applejack looked up and cursed her luck. To make matters worse, Rainbow Dash zoomed in and quickly announced that it wasn't the pegasi, but clouds that had drifted from the Everfree. She quickly flew back to her post after delivering the news, leaving Applejack alone with her thoughts.

"Consarnit, ah'm gonna have to pick up my tempo, aren't I?" She sighed and got back to work, but with more haste. As she worked, the winds started to pick up. Her mane was blowing all over the place making it hard to see, but she just gritted her teeth and continued bucking.

By the time she was three fourths of the way done, it was raining. But it wasn't just rain, it was torrential. The ground beneath her became hazardous, she often found herself sinking to her knees. The wind too became dangerous. It was strong enough for the apple trees to whip their branches about, nearly wacking Applejack unconscious. But she continued her work, because her trees needed harvesting and she wasn't letting any Tartarus-damned storm blow away their livelihoods.

When she had collected all the apples that needed collecting that day, she continued still. Apples were strong, but even the sturdiest branches break, so Applejack reasoned that she needed to collect as many apples as possible before the unnatural storm blew away all the apples.

It was soon after that she heard her brother hollering her name. She growled and heaved her collection of apples onto her back and made way for the barn. It was then and only then did she realize it was a lost cause.

Applejack plowed her way through the danger, just wanting to be in a warm room with her friends. Then, without warning, the wind picked up. Surprised and off balance, Applejack found herself slipping down a muddy slope. She cried out, watching apples tumble from her back and land in the filth. She attempted to rescue them, but by bending down, her last remaining support shifted causing her to tumble forwards and further down the hill. She tried to call out for help but before she could, she fell into a river.

She paddled upwards, desperate for air, for safety. She broke through the water and gasped, hoping to pump oxygen into her lungs. But then, a wave washed over her, pushing her downwards. Her backlegs struggled against the current, her forelegs churning desperately. She was pushed under again. She felt her sense of direction go all over the place, then her head cracked open. She felt her consciousness start to slip. Then everything turned to black.

***

Days later, the storm subsided. Pegasi from all over Equestria flew over to help beat back the raging clouds. When it was all over, they collapsed from sheer exhaustion. It was after that Big Mac came rushing in, asking where Applejack was. And so, Ponyville mounted a search and rescue.

Rainbow Dash especially was adamant and frantic, despite how exhausted she was. She even kept on searching through the night and continued still even when her wings failed to hold her. It was only after somepony found the cyan pegasus collapsed in a bush, bawling her eyes out, did she stop looking.

The rest of Applejack's friends searched as well with fervent passion. Rarity becomes a right mess, not caring for her mane nor her pelt. Pinkie hasn't been seen with a poofy mane since the news. Fluttershy hasn't been seen, period. Twilight has been pulling all her favors, trying desperately to find something, anything. In the end, it was all pointless. Nothing came up. Applejack didn't come up.

But life moves on. Ponies move on. Ponyville officially declared Applejack as 'Missing' a month later. Despite the title, everypony knew what Mayor Mare actually meant with the declaration. A service was held and it was the biggest turnout in Ponyville history. Every single member of the Apple clan was there. The Princesses. Ponyville. Coloratura. Countless others that Applejack affected, directly or otherwise.

They say Equus cried for a week straight. Others say enough tears were shed to flood the world. Some even say they still see her walking the streets, tipping her stetson with a smile. Whatever the tale, it all held a single truth. Applejack, the farmer, the friend, the sister, an Element of Harmony, the pony, was gone.

***

It was night time. It was Manehatten. A single pony was walking through the streets in a daze. Her coat dull, her eyes drooping. The pony, nameless, thoughtless, formless. She stumbled around a corner, not unlike the drunkard on the otherside of the street.

She kept on walking, perhaps she'll know why after she reaches her destination, wherever that is. She passed signs that she could read, but not fully comprehend. She saw ponies, creatures like herself, yet she could not interact with them. She was like a ghost, a being not made for this world. Just existing to drift, unknown and incomprehensible.

Then she turned yet another corner. This time, she bumped into something. No. Not something. Someone. A pony. Two ponies.

"Darling, is that who I think it is?"

"Yeees…I think it is!"

"Dear, what are you doing out here? In the middle of the night no less?"

"What?" The nameless pony replied, confused. "Who are you?"

"Who are we!? Darling, did you hear that?"

"I did hear, honey. Well, you know how those peasants look at us, dear. They think we're all the same."

"Hmph!"

"My apologies for my wife. Now, what can we do for you?"

"I…I don't know. I don't know what I want."

"And you really don't know who we are?"

"No…Should I?"

"Hmmm. Well, let me introduce you. My name is Mosely Orange. My wife here, is Curezon Orange."

"Nice…nice to meet you?"

"The pleasure is ours, dear. Now, let us get you out of the streets. You must be famished."

"Yes…yes, I am. Thank you."

"Of course, dear."

Author's Note:

Part of the Vishapocalypse of May 19

Comments ( 4 )

This is very good. I'm giving you six stars for doing a good job. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I can't wait to see what those oranges will do to that pony. Along with your upcoming chapters, remember:

The secret is to believe in your dreams, in your potential to be like your star. Keep searching, keep believing, and don't lose faith in yourself.

Here's a song that will make you do whatever it takes. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/HcNcOnIkQQU?si=ibG4rN_d6JRFh4NH

11908108
Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Login or register to comment