• Published 29th Dec 2011
  • 1,392 Views, 19 Comments

My Life In Ponyville - Skitzo Tune



A new life with a friend one can only hope to have. My life in Ponyville begins today.

  • ...
11
 19
 1,392

Unexpected Development

I awake from my sleep to drops of cold water. I keep my eyes closed from the exhaustion and begin to remember the dream I was rudely awoken from. As I piece together the fragments, I soon feel my face burning. The situation and constant talk of Octavia makes her a constant presence in my mind, whether or not I wanted her to. And, at this point, she was a welcomed entity in my mind to distract me. I'm pulled away from my delusions by more cold drops of water. As I fight my eyes open I soon realise that its raining. Hard. Curse my heavy sleeping. I look down and see that my coat, mane, and wings are soaked to the bone. It seemed the only thing keeping me warm through it all was my habit of wrapping my wings around the non-exsistant Octavia. I stood up and shook to get off all the extra water off me before flying over to Apachie.

As I landed on the branch Apachie was laying on, feeling pain coming from my hoof, I heard him say, "No mom, the water's gone cold. I don't wanna take a shower."

He always had the habit of talking in his sleep. "Skitzo, tell her the water's cold."

I looked to see that the spot he had chosen to sleep was mainly dry except for the constant drip that was falling onto his mane. I figured he'd be fine so I flew over and tried to fix the leaves of the tree to allow no water to come into the area where he slept. My hoof seemed to be hurting more than earlier but that was normal. I made alot of noise but ofcourse, if the rain couldn't wake Apachie up at this point, nothing would. I heard some noise coming from inside the big tree but I figured it was just some small animals living within it.

I flew over to where Apachie was sleeping. "Skitzo, why haven't you kept in touch with Octa?" He said with a smirk on his sleeping face.

I kicked him in the side and to no avail he continued sleeping. "Geez, talk about dead wieght." I said to myself.

I streched out my wings and wrapped them around myself to keep myself warm. I closed my eyes and the thought of my mother came into my mind. I felt sadness well up from deep down thinking of my mom being in that big house all alone. I wanted to cry leaving her behind like that but then I remember a song she played alot after dad died. It was from her favorite rock group.


Talk to me softly,

There's something in your eyes.

Don't hang your head in sorrow,

And please don't cry.

I know how you're feeling inside,

I've been there before.

Somethings changing inside you,

And don't you know?


I felt a tear coming down my cheek as I remembered the next line perfectly;

Don't you cry tonight, I still love you baby.

This was the song that was played over and over in my home, keeping us together through the tough time. The name of the group was Ponies N' Roses. They soon became one of my favorite old rock groups from when my mother was just a philly. I can remember the music playing in the background of my memories of being young. They reminded me of my father as sad as that may be but I know he's watching over her in that lonely house. I know he's watching over me as well and that keeps my head up in times like this. I feel a smile come to my face as I play the music in my head. I soon begin falling asleep as the last few thoughts of my mother singing come into mind;


You gotta make it your own way,

But you'll be alright now sugar.

You'll feel better tomorrow,

Coming the morning light now baby....


The next morning I woke up in what seemed to look like a hospital room. I heard the constant beep of a heart rate monitor and begin to freak out. I take off the band around my head and soon find a cast around my hurt hoof. As I pull myself off the bed I fall to the floor from the dizziness of getting up too quickly.

A nurse came into the room and yelped a little. "Someone quick! A patient has fallen out of bed!" She yelled behind her as she came over to me trying to help me up.

I pushed her away with enough force to get her away from me with one of my wings. "Where am I?! Where's my friend?! Where's Apachie?!" I yelled keeping the nurse away from me and trying to get on all four.

I succeedded in getting up as a few stallions came into the room. They were all wearing white and had looks of concern on their faces like they were afraid of me hurting myself. They began to walk closer to me as I walked backwards toward a corner.

As their hoofs begin to get too close I get defensive and right as I'm about to kick one of them I hear something familiar. "Hey Skitzo, you have to try one of these muffins. They're amazing."

I look up and see Apachie standing in the doorway scarfing down a muffin. "Hey nurse, I suggest you tell you're co-workers to move away from him. He's the kind of pony that doesn't go down without a fight." He chuckled, making remains of muffin come out of his mouth.

She did as he said and called off the ponies around me. I walked cautiously over to where Apachie was when I saw a purple unicorn come into the room.

"Oh my. You're awake. Thats good. Apachie here was so worried he was almost brought to tears when we brought you here." She said.

"Oh come one Twilight you didn't have to tell him that." Apachie said looking away.

"Oh did I say something I wasn't suppose to? Well I think its better if you tell your friend how much you worry about him. Isn't that right Skitzo?" She said with a smile over her face.

I face-hoofed at the fact that he managed to get someone to call me by that horrid name. When I looked up I saw him on the floor laughing and Twilight looking confused as to why.

"My name is Red Nightingale. Not Skitzo." I said trying to mask the annoyance in my voice.

"Oh, I'm sorry." She said walking over to me putting her hoof out to so I could shake it. "My name is Twilight Sparkle. I wish we could have have met under more...ummm...pleasant circumstances."

I shook her hoof with my good hoof. "Nice to meet you but could one of you please explain why I'm in the hospital?"

"Oh well this morning I found you two sleeping on the branches of my house." Twilight said. "Last night while it was raining, I heard some noise. At first I believed it was just the wind but then I heard some singing. I was much too afraid to go outside so I ignored it and went to sleep. This morning I openned my window and looked around as to what could have made the noise. I saw you and your friend asleep on one of the branches. I yelled out to wake you two but only Apachie woke up."

During the conversation I walked over back to the bed as I could feel myself lose my energy that came with the adrenaline rush.

"He woke up and and greeted me with a smile that I found strange. I thought I knew everyone in town so it surprised me when I didn't know who either of you were. He looked over to you and tried waking you up but you wouldn't budge." She continued as the nurse walked over to me and began giving me some medicine, which I refused at first but felt I had to take with my mind growing ever more unstable.

"Umm are you ok Red?" Said Twilight with worry in her voice.

"Call me Gale. And yes just a slight bit dizzy for some reason." I said sitting on the side of the bed.

"Oh ok. Well as I was saying, he tried to wake you up but grew ever more worried that nothing was working. He pulled you over onto his back and flew over to me and asked if there was a hospital or a clinic he could take you to. I pointed him towards this clinic and he flew as fast as he could to bring you here. I was worried so I followed you two here. He was going nuts looking for a doctor to help you. When we finally found one he stayed next to you the entire time." When she said that I could see Apachie looking away while chewing on another muffin from a box he seemed to be carrying on his back.

"Geez Twiligh you don hav o ell im everythin." He said with his mouth full of muffin.

She giggled at his obvious embarrassment for worring about me. "You shouldn't talk with food in your mouth Apachie." She said with a motherly tone. "Well he was in here the whole time never leaving your side. Well that is until he came out look for me asking if there was any place he could find something to eat."

"Ya man there's this awesome place called Sugar...Sugar..." He said, the name eluding him ever so.

"Sugarcube Corner." Twilight finished for him.

"Ya thats the name." He said laughing then looked like something had sucked the happy out of him and he hung his head low. "I didn't know if you were gonna make it man. You weren't waking up and I could feel you were like fire when I carried you over here. You remember what happened with..." He trailed off not wanting to remember the past.

"Ya." I said quickly. "I know..."

We both couldn't meet each others gaze and Twilight noticed. She was about to say something but then thought it would be better to not say anything. The next few minutes passed with awkward silence as both Apachie and I tried to push the memories from our minds. The silence was broken by the nurse asking if I was hungry and brought in a food tray. She placed the food on a small table and moved it over to the bed. "Thank you." I said. As I tried to pick up the sandwich, I remembered that my hoof was put in a cast during my sleep.

"Why is my hoof in a cast?" I asked the nurse.

"When you were brought here, we were looking you over and saw the bandage. We took it off and inspected the wound. It seems that you broke your hoof so we placed it in a cast for you." The nurse said looking over the clip board she had in her hoofs.

"What the Hay?! You broke your hoof?!" Apachie asked dropping his jaw, muffin still in his mouth.

"I guess so." I looked down at the cast. "I thought I had only sprained it in the fall but seems it was worse than I thought." I laughed.

"Oh Dear Celestia your mom's gonna kill me." Apachie said dragging his hoofs down his face with fear obviously in his eyes.

"Don't worry about it Apachie we just wont tell her." I said, the thought of lying to my mother not a bother on my mind. In fact its better she doesn't know anyways, I thought to myself. She'd just worry her little head off.

"Neither of you should worry." The nurse said. "The healing spell should be complete by now so we'll be taking the cast off within the hour."

"See? We'll be fine now just chill out Apachie." I said while taking a bite of the sandwich the nurse had brought for me to eat.

"Well now that we know Gale is alright may I ask why you guys are in Ponyville?" Twilight asked.

I gulped down the food in my mouth an answered, "We're moving into Ponyville. We arrived yesterday late afternoon. We didn't have a place to stay so we decided to sleep in your tree for the night. This of course before we knew it was your home."

"You guys must not have known that it was going to rain last night." Twilight said more to herself really.

"I didn't even know it rained last night until I woke up this morning." Apachie said finishing his last muffin.

"Thats cause I made sure it didn't rain where you were sleeping. That's probably around the time Twilight said she heard a noise. I had to adjust the leaves around us so the water couldn't get through." I said as I finished my own food.

"Awwww. Well isn't that sweet." Twilight said with a grin I swore I'd only see on Apachie. "And you did that with a broken hoof?"

"Ya I guess so. What can I say he's my best friend. He's there for me when no one else is." I say answering her. Apachie looking around the room again from embarrassment.

Twilight giggles from watching him averting eye contact. "You're a good friend Gale. So what are you guys going to do now? You guys don't have a place to stay and its already mid-afternoon." She said with concern.

"Don't worry about that Twilight, I came prepared. I couldn't do anything because it was late last night but I planned on going to the Mayor's Office today." I said as the nurse began to take the cast off my hoof.

A look of surprise came over both Apachie and Twilight. "What the hay are you talking about Skitzo?" Apachie said giving me that same look as before, questioning my sanity.

Freeing my hoof from the cast, I move it around to see it's fully healed. I look over toward the both of them. I smile and say, "We're becoming residents of Ponyville today. That also means we're going to buy a home."