• Published 20th Apr 2024
  • 175 Views, 2 Comments

Izzy’s Newt - Lulamoon-Crystal



Izzy finds a new friend! The newt- Salamander sure would like to be her companion, right?

  • ...
 2
 175

Izzy: It’s actually a salamander!

It was a sunny, warm Spring day. Izzy was in her workshop cleaning up and putting things away. She took out a box of stones she had collected, to her surprise the box was almost empty! “Huh?” She questioned, “Aww, empty already?” She looked around. “I need some for that tiny, miniature village I’m making for the garden, this won’t be enough.” Izzy took out a cyan bag with her cutiemark stitched on it. It was decorated with glitter, buttons and feathers. She made the whole thing herself! “Guess I’m collecting some, she happily told herself.

Izzy lifted the flap and put in a juicy apple and a bottle of water. She put it across her shoulders and went to the door. “Oh, Izzy? You going somewhere?” Asked Pipp.

”Oh yeah, I’m just gonna go collect some stuff from the woods, I’ll be back before lunch!” She said happily as she hummed.

Izzy happily skipped away towards the hiking trail in the woods, she was sure to find some good stones for anything really. She was excited for what she was going to see. She made her way through the forest, staying on the path. Looking for any pretty stones or feathers of some sort. There were colourful birds that gathered a bit of a hike away from where she was. But she didn't mind the slightest.

She slowly strolled along, admiring her surroundings. With no fear of someone who makes a remark of her being bad at walking. Like some sort of doctor. Or something like that. She was a good walker, nothing wrong with strolling along. Besides, if she needed to walk a bit faster, all anyone would have to do is ask. “Hey Izzy, can you walk a little faster, please?”


She hummed to herself as she walked through the woods. Making sure to obey any signs along the way. When she found a path of mushrooms along the path.

“Oooh! Mushrooms!” Izzy skipped ahead to admire the shades of oranges and reds in the mushrooms. She knew not to touch any mushrooms in the wild as they could be dangerous. So she only admired them briefly, not planning to give them the slightest touch. “Looking pretty!” She complimented the fungi begore moving ahead. Leaving them alone completely as she followed a butterfly as it flew over the path.

“What a lovely sunny day.” She told herself. " Well, it sure is!” She joking responded to herself as she walked along to a clearing above a cliff. “Here we are. Now, where are those parrots?” She asked herself before seeing them in some nearby trees. Their colourful wings catching her eyes. “There they are!” She exclaimed before sitting down on a nearby log and just admired thin.

Their squawks and cries sounded all around as they soared around in a flock. Flying into trees, hanging from branches. Even if they were upside down. Attacking the fruits on the trees for their leaves. Some we fighting over a particular fruit. Before it dopping into the wet dirt below. Now neither of them got that particular bit!

“Silly parrots,” She smiled. “There is enough for everyone!” Her voice could not be heard over their squawks.They were such pretty animals, bur she was not only here to admire them. She made her way to some rocks and sticks. Getting the good ones and leaving the bad ones.

After about half an hour she returned to where the parrots were. They had calmed down a bit, thankfully. So that’s when she decided to approach near the trees they were at before, hoping to find the feathers she desired.

“Aww man.” She sighed, seeing they had mot dropped many at all. Despite all the racket they were making. Only about ten usable and undamaged ones were dropped. She decided to be happy with what she had and gathered them gently. Putting the feathers in a small case so they did not get crushed or damaged in the bag with no protection

“I wonder what else is out there.” She told herself as she went through the trees. Going a little further from the hiking trail. But no big deal right? Unicorns were skilled at exploring forests, or she thought so. Well, it would make sense considering Bridlewood was a forest itself.


After a bit of walking, ignoring the mud formed on her hooves, Izzy find herself gasping in delight at her new discovery. A while clearing, seemingly untouched by ponies thank to the thick trees and long walk she went through. She looked at the creek with awe, listening to teh water rushing through.

The water was clean and fresh. Not a sign of litter anywhere. Unlike another creek area that was a popular fishing and camping location according to Sunny.

The base of the waterfall was shallow. But wide, the water gushing down, mist blowing away in the breeze.

“What a lovely creek!” She exclaimed. Stepping forward, hooves splashing as she walking through the stream. She might as well rinse off her hooves. She was going to be careful of that mud puddle she walked through, now she knew where it was.

There was a tree branch hanging down close to the water, almost creating an arch over it. The leaves rustling and shining in the breeze. This spot was quiet besides the plants and animals.

As Izzy went under the hanging branch, she jumped back in fright with a yelp as something suddenly dropped down, spooking her. “Woah!” She yelped before noticing what it was.

A small lizard like- No, wait- the brown skin looked more moist, like a frog’s. This is a newt, it seemed. But with a head and body shaped more like a gecko. The tail looked long and smooth, no frills or anything. Perhaps this was a salamander? Or a newt?

“Hello?” Izzy said as the newt, or salamander cocked it’s head curiously. Hanging into some slime that was handing from the branch. Like how a spider uses its silk to lower itself down. It was close to her muzzle as she got a closer look, it seemed unafraid of her. “Are you a newt or a salamander?” She asked.

There was no response as she looked at it with a slight smile. It poked its tongue out slightly. Looking at Izzy curiously as the slime started to droop and get tinner and thinner. Breaking as it landed on Izzy’s muzzle.

“Woah!” She yelped, stepping back in shock. Then she started laughing as the salamander started running down her. “Hey! That tickles!” She exclaimed as she ran all over her, eventually settling onto her back. Looking up at Izzy, something it had never seen before in its life. What a discovery for this little creature. “You are kinda cute, actually. What kind of salamander are you, anyway?”

Of course, she had gotten no answers. But she gasped in surprise and awe as it’s colour slowly changed. Changing to a shade of purple, the same as her coat. The markings on it’s back turning the same colour as her mane. The belly, however, went to a light purple.

“Did you just change your colour? To match me!?” She exclaimed with joy. “Awww! That’s so cool! Maybe you should come with me and meet my friends! Zipp and Hitch would love to meet a salamander like you!” She suggested with a big smile as the salamander climbed to the top of her head. “I’ll take that as a yes!” She said before walking back the way she had come.


Once she was approaching the Brighthouse, she started to talk about it. The salamander was hanging onto her horn as it looked around with awe. It was a little cloudly here. Possible rain later.

She hummed to herself as she entered the front doors. Sunny and Zipp being the only ones present at the time. Pipp was likely busy doing stuff at her salon, or something to do with her fans.

“Hey Sunny! Hey Zipp!” She greeted. “You’ll never belive what I found!”

“Oh!” Sunny’s ears perked up with awe as she swallowed a bite of her sandwich. “What is it, Izzy?!”

Zipp and Sunny gasped as they saw the little salamander on Izzy’s horn as she approached the table. Standing next to Zipp who looked closely ay it with awe. “A newt!?”

“Salamander!”

“Oh yeah, that’s what I meant.” She shrugged.

“Where did you find it, Izzy?” Asked Sunny as the salamander used sticky slime to lower itself down from Izzy’s horn. Zipp watching with slight awe, then disgust when it plopped right into her glass of water right before she could have a drink. Well, at least it was just water and not something that could be harmful or unhealthy to a salamander. It swam around, looking happy.

“Oh. In the woods. I went through the forest and found a creek. She landed on me and I took her home!” She looked cheerful. “She's cute, isn’t she! She even turned my colour! I’m gonna call her, Mini-Izzy!”

“Mini-Izzy?” Sunny questioned. Zipp looking rather not impressed.

“You don’t plan on keeping her as a pet, or something, do you?”

“What?” Izzy asked. “Nah, She’s my friend now! She’ll be living here with us like two buddies!”

“Izzy!” Zipp exclaimed. “You can’t just take a wild animal from its habitat and keep it as a pet. That’s not right, Izzy.”

“At least not without knowing what you are doing.” Sunny said, sitting down as she took Zipp’s side on this.

“What about Hitch with his seagulls and crab?” Izzy asked, interrupting Sunny.

“They are in their natural habitat. Well, not far from it, anyway.”

“Plus. They aren’t Hitch’s pets. They choose to be with him and can come and go as they please.” added Sunny. “While this salamander is miles from her habitat. Where it is moist, wet, full of bugs and the right temperature.”

“She may look happy now. But do you know anything about taking care of a salamander?” Zipp asked

“Yeah? Water, food, open space and friends!” Izzy exclaimed. “I can take good care of her, I promise!” She said before running up the her crafting spot to make the best home she can. Well, maybe start with the swimming pool. They need lots of water, right?


Izzy’s first stop was Pipp’s salon, Mane Melody. She carrioned the salamander in a bowel. “You met Zipp wnd Sunny. Now it’s time you met Pipp and Hitvh!” She exclaimed, walking inside. The two workers, Jazz and Rocky were present, but Pipp was nowhere to be seem.

“Hey Jazz!” Izzy greeted the eatless pony as she sorted her plishes. “You know where Pipp is?” She asked.

“She’s on yhe phone in the back room. Ordering some new lights, I think.” Jazz exclaimed.

“Oh good! Ohhey, maybe you should meet Mini-Izzy too!” She offered, holding the bowel closer to Jazz.

“Mini-Izzy?” She questioned. Peering into the bowl. She looked disgusted at first but hid it. “Oh… Eh- Cute?”

“Izzy!” Pipp flew over, landing near her. Looking into the bowel eagerly, a little excited to see what she had brought in, before stopping in surpise. “A living newt?” She asked, “Why did you get a newt from?”

“It’s a salalamnder!”

“I know!” Whined Jazz before sighing as she leaned cloderto the bowel. “It’s kinda cute, tho. I love the colours.” She added, flinching back as soon as it leaded from the water, onto her face. She yelped as it crawled over her muzzle.

“Ooh! Unexpected!” Izzy complimented.

“Ew, ew, ew!” Jazz whimpered. “It’s so cold, wet, slimy and sticky!”

“Aww… I think it likes you.” Izzy smiled as Pipp took a photo.

It was clear Jazz was not liking it. But it was cute to see it crawl over her, leaving behind a trail of slime. But seeing your friend in distress is not the cutest thing. But Jazz seemed to not mind it as much when it crawled off her face and down her neck, still a bit grossed out. But happy it was not on her face.

“Cute salamander, Izzy.” Pipp complimented. Glad she wasn’t in Jazz’s place right now, even if it did look cute. “But, I think it’s time to put it back where you found it.”

“No… She’s actually living with us, now!”

“What!” Pipp shouted. “You have a pet salamander? When did this happen!? I don't remember you saying anything about it in the oast. Sure is cute!” She asked. Shocked at never hearing about hef pet salamander before. “What’s it’s name?”

Mini-Izzy! I found her today in a creek!” She smiled.

“Wait- You found her on your walk?” She asked. “Izzy! You can’t just rip a salamander from it;s home like that! A picture- or fifty- Would have been acceptable, Izzy!”

“I suppose that is true… But she wanted to come along. I was just about to ask Hitch on some information about Salamanders.” She paused. “Since animals love him so much, he must have some information on it, right?”

“Uh… The salamander is starting to feel a lot more slimy and wet, now!” Jazz exclaimed. Izzy watching as the Salamander sat on her shoulder. Crouching down and looking sleepy.

“That’s enough screentime for you!” Izzy said with a smile as she gently handled the salamander and put it back in its bowel. But not before it did its business, with Izzy being the only one to know, thankfully. She quickly grabbed a sopping wet soapy sponge and wiped that area. Jazz flinching as soon as it touched her.

“What are you doing now.“ she asked. Feeling the cold, soapy water on her fur. Leaving behind a big wet patch.

“Cleaning up an oopsie!”

“An oopsie?’ Jazz asked, not realising what she meant to Izzy had left with the Salamander. “Wait! An oopsie! Did it just-“


Hitch sat at his desk, looking into the plastic soup bowel. Filled with water and a single rock in the middle acting as a platform for it to stand on. The salamander was standing on Izzy’s horn, looking at awe at seeing this new pony.

“I can confirm this is a Southern Equestrian Tree Salamander” Hitch explained.

“That’s a mouthful.” Izzy explained. ‘What else do you know?”

“Well, I did read in a book that they are one of the few salamanders with non-toxic skin! But they can also leap at an unexpected time. But not really far. Used to see some at the campsite near the creek.” He then paused as he looked at the bowel, a bit of feces already floating around. He gave Izzy a stern look as she smiled eagerly. There was one thing he did not tell her, that these guys turned into colour of their favourite thing!

“I really hope you weren’t planning to use this bowel as an enclosure. I’m no vet, but even I can tell that’s not a suitable enclosure for her.”

“Nah. That’s just her swimming pool! She’s gonna be free-range!”

He paused and looked very serious. His voice became stern. “Izzy. I get you to want to keep her as a pet. But Sunny and Zipp are right. It’s not okay to take her from her home like this. You are better off getting one from a breeder or adoption shelter. Also, it’s not the safest idea to have a salamander freely ran round, it could get hurt.”

“She followed me here…” Izzy said, sounding a little sad as Hitch looked at her with a very serious expression. Concerned for the salamander and hoping he can convince her. "I will be responsible. Earlier I gave it food, and a few minutes ago, I cleaned up after it when it did its business."

“Or did she get on you with no way to get off? Or chances are she was scared, or curious.” He paused and softened his voice slightly. “Look. If you want the best for her. Please take her to her home. It's not here.”

“But-“ Izzy said, getting interrupted by Hitch’s phone call ringing. She sighed as he quickly answered it.

“Huh? Really!? That’s not good.” He spoke. “I’ll be right there!” He quickly hung up and left for the door. Taking one last look at Izzy. “Taking her home is the right thing to do.” He said before leaving and trotting away to his location. Leaving Izzy feeling a little sorry.


Back at the Brightnouse, Izzy sat at the table, looking a little glum. Her head on the table as Mini-Izzy approached her muzzle. “I don’t get it… Everypony is saying taking care of a salamander is a big responsibility and I need to do research before I get a pet.” She sighed, “They are right. But why do they want me to take you home? This is your home, isn’t it? You chose to come with me. So why can’t you stay?”

The salamander looked at Izzy and poked its tongue out slightly then brought it back in.

“Did you just… Blip?” She asked, her ears perking up as she looked at it. “Wait… You do wanna stay, don’t you? Blep if yes!” She added. The salamander blepping again, gasping her gasp in happiness. “You do want to stay!”

The salamander turned its head in confusion as Izzy smiled. “That solves it! You chose to stay! They can’t argue with that, right? Easy! I’ll make you the best home here ever! It’ll take a while.” She paused. “But you’ll love it!”

The salamander climbed onto her head.


The next morning...


Izzy was in a rush as she ran down the stairs. Crying out in distress. Shocking Hitch who was talking to Sunny about fruit. Plus got the attention of Zipp and Pipp who were discussing Cloudpuff. She didn't know the details, and did not care.

Everyone sharing in horror as she blurted out the words.

“Something’s wrong with Mini-Izzy!”

“You kept it!?” Zipp shouted out.

“What did I tell you!” Hitch scolded.

Everyone followed Izzy to the bedroom. Where she pointed at the soup bowel, on top of the rock in the middle. Mini-Izzy was laying down. Looking rather dull. Her skin looked dry and her eyes were glassy.

“She’s not eating, swimming or doing anything!” Izzy cried, her voice cracking.

“Because you weren’t prepared to take care of a salamander. Let alone, you took a wild animal from it;s home and tried to keep it!” Zipp said in a scolding voice. She did feel bad for Izzy. But to be fair, she did keep it when they told her not to. Hitch also agreed, feeling rather hurt that she did not take his advice.

“This is what were were trying to warn you about!” Hitch added, in a softer, but stern voice.

“I’m sorry.” Izzy apologised, tears running down her face. “I should have listened to you both. I only wanted to keep her as a friend. But… Now she’s sick because I didn't listen.”

“It’s okay, Izzy.” Sunny pattered her, “We can fix this.”

“It’s not okay!” Izzy exclaimed, wiping her eyes. “Mini-Izzy is dying! It’s all my fault!”

“Hey, hey.” Zipp interrupted. “She’s right! We can fix this!”

Izzy’s ears lifted slightly, listening to her words. Feeling a little bit of hope and relief that she might be okay. But what do they need to do to fix this?

“I’ll do anything to make her feel better!” Izzy exclaimed, “No matter what it takes, I promise!”

There was a pause as Hitch went to speak. Knowing Izzy might not like the answer. But it was for the best. “If Mini-Izzy wants to stay, then we can build the enclosure, a proper one! But if she wants to go home, then we take her home.” Hitch said, feeling a little sad. “It’s her choice.”

Izzy nodded and looked down at the salamander. “Mini-Izzy. Blink twice of you want to go home. Blink once if you want to stay.”

Izzy gasped as she blinked, then her ears and smile fell as she blinked again. Twice in a row. She sighed, understanding and trying her best to accept what she wanted. “Alright then…” She picked up the bowel, “We’ll be taking you back.”

Hitch smiled, a little proud of Izzy being so accepting of this.

“We better get going.” Zipp said, putting on a slight smile.

“I can’t wait to see it!” Pipp exclaimed, holding her phone.

“Actually. I think only one of you should come with me. The place is beautiful. I would hate to scare all the critters away by inviting so many ponies at once. Or making ruin, or anything that could possibly happen because it looks so healthy...”

“That is a perfectly acceptable and responsible answer.” Hitch smiled, “So, who will be joining you?”


Zipp was amazed by the creek as she entered the area behind Izzy. She was right, this location was so alive, so clean. Unlike where the campsite was, likely much further down the stream. The campsite was a mess, but this area was untouched. Or touched by respectful ponies.

“Woah… You were right! It looks cool, Izzy!” Zipp exclaimed. Feeling so happy to see a part of the creek without shards of glass, litter or dead or dying plants. Like how it’s supposed to be. She agreed with Izzy’s concern on exposure to too many ponies. It was better to leave this place be. It was so out the way, so it was very unlikely anypony would come across it.

“Here’s your home…” Izzy said, lowering the salamander onto a small log near a tree that was growing out the water. “Goodbye…” She sighed. Smiling slightly as Mini-Izzy was now back to her vibrant, healthy colouring and had a lot more energy.

As Izzy watched the salamander skittered towards the pond. It had one look back towards her. Blepping one more time before vanishing into depths and shadows in the pond. Most likely never to be seen again. Izzy sniffed as she wiped her eyes and waved. “Enjoy your home, Mini Izzy!” She called out.

Zipp put a hoof around Izzy. “Im sure she will! Now, she should maybe head back home ourselves! I heard Sunny will be making a nice pot of spaghetti! With chocolate ice cream sundaes for desert!”

“What! I love spaghetti and sundaes!” Izzy exclaimed with a jump. “Well… Not together but I can't wait!”

Zipp smiled as they both walked back home together. Izzy explaining everything she'd like to put on her sundae.

Comments ( 2 )

I know the feeling, Izzy.

I wanna wild pet, but don’t have the possible funding to keep them fed

This is what popped into my head after reading the title.

Login or register to comment