• Published 13th Oct 2021
  • 8,151 Views, 586 Comments

Forgotten: The Frozen North - milesprower06



Sunny Starscout's ongoing search for Equestria's ancient past sends her up to the northern arctic, where it is written that a city protected by love once stood.

  • ...
9
 586
 8,151

Flurry (Alternate Ending)

Izzy simply stood and stared, uncertain and unsure of what to do as her best friend stood in the center of the chamber, with the glowing wings and horn she had gotten right before Reunification Day.

"Sunny? Can you hear me?" She asked, taking a single step forward.

The earth pony didn't respond at all, almost as if she was in another place entirely. After another few moments, she took a few steps to the left the glowing stone on the floor, and reached out a hoof. There was another flash of light, and the unicorn shielded her eyes. A moment later, there stood Sunny, sans glowing wings and horn, and on the ground in front of her was a light magenta pony.

She had a horn and wings, her mane and tail were cerise, violet, with streaks of arctic blue. She looked like she was barely breathing, and looked half frozen.

Sunny gave a gasp and immediately started removing her layers of winter clothing as she knelt down next to the mare.

"Izzy, go get all the survival blankets we've got," Sunny told her friend as she covered the mare as best she could with her jacket.

"Wh-wh-who... Who are—"

"Shh, don't talk. Save your strength, we're getting you out of here," Sunny told her, digging into her saddlebags and coming out with her insulated bottle of hot chocolate, opening the nozzle.

"Here, take a sip," Sunny said, cradling the mare's neck and head, tipping the nozzle towards her lips. She was coherent enough to listen, accept the warm drink, and swallow.

Removing the single blanket from her saddlebags, she unfurled it and covered the mare as best she could, tapping her headset to the other channels.

"Everypony? Stop what we're doing immediately. We have a survivor, and she needs medical help as soon as we can get it to her. Hitch, I know you can make due, but she needs a hospital. Meet me in the castle to help Izzy and me get her down to the vehicle. Sprout, get the Scouticus turned around and ready to head out. We need to get to Zephyr Heights ASAP."

"I don't want to know what you mean by 'survivor' if we're the first ones up here in centuries, but I'm on my way," Hitch replied.

"Pipp and I are headed back to the vehicle," Zipp replied afterward.

Izzy arrived back with a stack of blankets, and Sunny had her lay out the first one right next to the mare. The unicorn then gently picked her up with her magic, and laid her down on the warm blanket, putting a layer between her and the ice cold floor.

As Sunny kept giving her sips of her hot chocolate, Hitch came up through the doors, and immediately came down to check on their unexpected new arrival.

"She just 'poofed' out of thin air," Izzy explained.

"We have to get her someplace warm, is it safe to move her?" Sunny asked Hitch, the closest thing their expedition had to a medic.

"Safer than leaving her here," Hitch answered, putting three more blankets on top of the clothes Sunny had already covered her with. "Izzy, you think you can keep her levitated on the way down?"

"I'll try," Izzy said, nodding. Sunny capped her bottle, put it back in the saddle bag, along with the Crystal Heart, then helped guide Izzy down the stairs as she concentrated on levitating the freezing mare. They came out into the snow, and immediately made for the headlights. Zipp opened the passenger side door and helped gently lift her into the cab.

"Keep the heater on low, Sprout. We don't want to warm her up too fast and send her into shock," Hitch said as they got her situated on one of their sleeping bags.

Once they had the mysterious mare situated, they did a quick headcount, ensuring everypony was accounted for.

"Alright, Sprout. Back the way we came, as fast as you can safely go," Hitch told him.

Nodding, Sprout pulled the steering lever to the left, and did a wide 180, following their tracks back up and down from the valley where the frozen city lay...


The next 48 hours were the longest Sunny could remember. She could barely tear her eyes away from the mare underneath the blankets.

'Did they work... The crystals, did they work?'

Sunny had answered yes to this question as she reached out for her in her Crystal-Heart-powered vision.

Whoever this pony was, she had a pretty good guess that she had created the crystals that had helped reunite Equestria.

The mare didn't speak, and slept for most of the journey south, which really made Sunny nervous, afraid that she would glance to something else, and she would stop breathing, and silently slip away.

They had to take the long way around to a more accessible entrance to Zephyr Heights, where an ambulance was ready and waiting to take her the rest of the way.

So here she sat, in the waiting room, with nothing to do but worry and wonder.

"Miss Starscout?" an inquisitive voice pulled her from her thoughts, and she looked up to see an orderly pegasus in medical scrubs.

"Yes?"

"The mare you've brought in? We've stabilized her. We've got her on an IV drip, and she'll remain under observation for a few days until we're confident she can function on her own. She'd like to see you, if you'd follow me." the orderly replied.

Leaving her winter excursion gear on the seat next to her, Sunny took her saddlebags and followed the orderly down the hall, to the third room on the left. There, in the bed and covered with a blanket considerably thicker than normal, lay the mare with wings and a horn, and she glanced tiredly toward the pair.

"Your rescuer, Miss Flurry Heart," the orderly announced, before excusing himself.

Sunny walked up to her bedside, and gave her a gentle, hopeful smile.

"Flurry Heart? Daughter of Prince Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance Cadenza?" She asked.

Flurry softly nodded with a tired smile.

"So you know who I am, but I don't believe I've had the pleasure," Flurry replied.

"Sunny, Sunny Starscout, your highness," Sunny said, giving a half bow.

"None of that nonsense, Sunny. Not when you saved my life, and from what little I heard on the journey back, it sounds like I don't have much of a kingdom left."

"I won't bombard you with questions in your current condition... Flurry. I just want to say that I've spent my entire life studying your era, and Princess Twilight," Sunny told her.

"'Era'... So I'm assuming it's been some time. I won't pretend to know what kind of trance the Crystal Heart put me in, or if it merely helped you pull me through to your time. I don't suppose you could tell me how long it has been?"

"Not precisely, I'm afraid. I believe it's been centuries, at the very least," Sunny answered.

"I figured it's been awhile, I've never seen anything like that contraption you brought me here in. So, the crystals worked? Do you know when that happened?" Flurry asked.

Sunny nodded.

"A few months ago. My friends and I tracked them down, and used them to reunify Equestria."

"After months of strife and mistrust. Perhaps I should be grateful that Equestria got the chance at all. But if Equestria reunited because of you, I don't know how to thank you," Flurry told her.

"I don't deserve all the credit. My friends helped me along the way, and my dad set me on this path in the first place," Sunny answered.

"Well, I look forward to meeting your friends, and your dad."

Sunny's face flashed a somber expression.

"My... My dad hasn't been with us in quite some time."

"Oh, I see. My condolences, Sunny. But I'm sure he would have been proud of what you and your friends have managed to do for Equestria. I know I am, and I know that once I'm up and about, that there is much we can tell each other."

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this alternate take, if you were hoping for things to turn out different.

Thanks for reading, and keep an eye out for the next story SoonTM.

Comments ( 57 )

This was pretty good, but I still feel like the original ending was the correct one; the one that was really deserved. It really drives home that this is a new era of friendship, when the final holdover from the previous one passes into the next life to rejoin her ancestors and passed her legacy to her heir.

Hope is the ultimate legacy that any of us can leave behind for the generations to come. As long as there is hope, there is always a way forward.

a grate different ending.

Ye Flurry :3

The series really shafted us when it came to hinting at, but never showing, an adult Flurry Heart. But then, the entire series was kind of a disaster of poor continuity, simply because it wasn't designed for as much in the first place, and thus suffered from its revolving team of writers. Not to say the entire thing was bad; but especially after the years wore on, the series kind of suffered.

I do sort of wonder how it would have been, had the show been modelled after Faust's original pitch instead, which was a lot more like an adventure with continuity, rather than what she was allowed to do... and then they changed their mind about, after she left. Flurry probably wouldn't exist, though... and if Cadance did, she'd still probably be a unicorn, as she was originally written. It's interesting to think about all that could have been.

But anyways, I just like the idea of Flurry persisting somehow. I hear that the G5 show isn't even going to touch very much on G4, even though it was its entire basis for existence. Bit of a lost opportunity if you ask me, even if I wasn't entirely on board with the idea in the first place. Maybe we will get Flurry somehow; who knows? It'd be interesting to have a genuine alicorn around, seeing as something about Sunny's transformation doesn't seem very thorough... or permanent. (Possibly a Rainbow Power situation? That was also kind of underutilized...)

Okay this was a pretty interesting alternate take on so so it looks like with the power of the crystal heart it brought back flurry heart to the Future which the others had to save her before from the cold and with that said they went back to Zephyr Heights to get her recover and it looks like flurry heart is going to have an interesting story to tell especially especially Sunset coming from the human world again this was a really good story and whatever your direction you want to take I can't wait to see the next Story how this event will go keep up the good work

Long live the last princess.

I'm not crying, your crying

better ending
canon ending

Loved the bittersweet of the original (fits the tone of this series excellently), but I’m always a fan of “What If…” alternates too. Glimpses into what could have been. Excellent work.

A nice alternate, but I agree with 11114846; I think your previous ending was the right route. Having Flurry survive with the 'there is much we can tell each other' line also would probably have to lead to a sub-plot in your next installment of this series, otherwise you basically either have to have Flurry play an important role, be totally underutilized, or be a loose end.

Ah the Alternate Ending, but I think the original one is the right call since without Flurry it would be like a fresh new start. Though it is interesting to see how it develops into another story since Flurry would be a nice asset to have. Perhaps a spin off would do the trick. If it doesn't interfere with your sequel, that is.

At least Sunset won't be the only relic from the past. She would find some comfort in that, knowing that there's at least one thing from the past that stayed with her and that was in the form of Twilight Sparkle's niece, the last of her best friend's flesh and blood, so there's an outlet for her to be at peace with any unfinished business she had with Twilight since Sunset came through the mirror to see Twilight. Perhaps the same goes for Flurry too, meeting the last of her aunt's friends. I wonder what dynamic they will have. Heh, I suppose another time then?

Anyway, this has been a fun read, can't wait for the sequel.

could you somehow merge this two timelines? the OG and this one? in the sequel? I still like the idea of a ghost flurry wandering around the crystal empire I proposed with the last chapter so... could you merge these timelines?

Excellent job on this alternate ending. Definitely did a wonderful job on the exchanges, characterizations, general wrap-up and future alternate story set-up (if you wish to do a story based on this timeline as well as one based on the other). Very much appreciated the more detailed chat between Sunny and Flurry as well as Flurry's reaction to how long it has been and the precautions taken by the medical crew.

Yeah, the other ending was probably the better one, but this was really good too. Thanks very much for doing this.

Both endings are awesome, except now that gets me wondering how Sunset and Flurry Heart would interact given all this time

Aaah heck, I prefer the alternate ending >.< A shame that won't be the next story setup, but rather Sunset. Still, it's been fun keeping up with these stories

I like this because now Flurry can get hugs.
She needs all the hugs.
50ccs of hugs. Doctor's orders.

She's also a living relic of a bygone age so that is kind of sad, but on the other hand (hoof), I wonder if she still has those ginormously proportional wings.

I do think this fic's explanation for why there were no windigos is the best one. Flurry saying: "Ponies shouldn't cooperate together under threat of a frozen fate; they should do so because they love and care for each other." is perfectly in line with what we've seen of her in the show as a foal. She causes a 'flurry' of trouble, but resolving it makes Equestria/The Crystal Empire/Her friends and family stronger for it. The lovable abomination does Discord's job better than he does.

Comment posted by mistaque1 deleted Jan 11th, 2022

11115611
Well with this ending when could be like the Pillars were in the show... If this alternate route gets explored.

KMCA #19 · Jan 12th, 2022 · · 1 ·

11114863
The one tiny thing Faust did that got abandoned that I really miss is the holding everything in their mouths bit. by S4 it'd been almost completely abandonned. I thought it was cute, funny and charming.
but without her cracking the whip on it they just ignored it for ease of animation.

I prefer this ending but another solid 9/10 excellent story.

With how the actual ending went. I am eager to see where it goes.

This was a nice alternate take. Great work.

11116712
I was talking about her original concept for the series to be an adventure series, not anything else.

Also, you were slightly wrong; another thing that Faust insisted on did get abandoned, and that was that ponies should not have human hairstyles. Once I learned this was a thing and could actually pay attention to it, it's a nice little detail, to have them only have hairstyles that would work with the structure of their horsie manes.

11117191
I really do wonder how the show would have looked if she'd stayed on... and how after the success of MLP no one was willing to take a risk on Galaxy Girls.
If it had come out in 2014 or so there'd have been a huge number of people willing to give it a try.

After another few moments, she took a few steps to the left the glowing stone on the floor, and reached out a hoof.

I think you're missing the word, "of," between the words, "left," and "the," before the word, "glowing."

"Pipp and I are headed back to the vehicle," Zipp replied afterward.

I think it would make more sense if it was, "heading," instead of, "headed."

"Flurry Heart? Daughter of Prince Shining Armor, and Princess Cadance Cadenza?" She asked.

Isn't her full name, "Mi Amore Cadenza?" I know she preferred to go by, "Cadence," but that's still her name, right?

Anyways, neat alternate ending. Looking forward to see what you have in store for part 3.

Hey there! I love reading your stories. I really liked the original ending to this. It sets up a third story perfectly. I like the alternate too, but it is your story, your choice for ending. I just have one question. Since, the original ending is (I assume) your official ending, what did happen to Flurry Heart? That one detail isn't clear. If she died, then they should have found her frozen remains in the crystal empire. The alternate ending explains what happened to her perfectly and makes a lot of sense, tying up that loose end, but it's only the alternate ending. It's not official. I look forward to your next story, but... What did happen to Flurry Heart?

11120666
I was really very divided on whether or not to have Flurry's frozen body in the Crystal Heart Chamber.

At the end of my thinking, I decided to have her fade away, because I wasn't sure if a frozen cadaver would have been too much for a E-rated story.

11120816
Ok. Thank you. I was actually leaning toward that explanation. A great era fades away, and it's last Captain fades away with it. The final sacrifice of the final remnant of the past to save an uncertain future. As the saying goes, "Old soldiers don't die, they just fade away."
"There is hope for the future, that all this shall come to pass in God's good time." - Captain Nemo. (His dying words in Walt Disney's 2,000 Leagues Under the Sea).

11120816
I guess this also means that the Windigo did deliver Flurry Heart a fatal blow, BUT not before she got him and his and his friends first. Like King Arthur in his final battle with Mordred and subsequent death, Flurry Heart triumphs, though at the cost of her kingdom and life. Her final triumph ensured the hope for a better future for Equestria.

11124354
...Right. I don't know why I didn't account for you not getting the reference. I was referring to another magically powerful heart-shaped artifact. In this case, it's supposed to look like this, but it isn't found until after the kingdom charged with protecting it has met an all-encompassing doom foretold in a prophetic book, and even the artifact doesn't survive unscathed. When it's found it looks like this.

In case it wasn't obvious, I was only speaking in terms of appearance when I asked if what I was imagining as a reference was accurate.

11114863

the entire series was kind of a disaster of poor continuity, simply because it wasn't designed for as much in the first place, and thus suffered from its revolving team of writers.

I have to agree with this statement.

11146370
How did I miss this one? Well played:rainbowlaugh:

11190128
It’s a real bummer outer. Hmf.

Whoever this pony was, she had a pretty good guess that she had created the crystals that had helped reunite Equestria.

And its probably who many of us think it is. :fluttershysad:

"None of that nonsense, Sunny. Not when you saved my life, and from what little I heard on the journey back, it sounds like I don't have much of a kingdom left."

It's completely buried in snow Flurry. :fluttercry:

"Oh, I see. My condolences, Sunny. But I'm sure he would have been proud of what you and your friends have managed to do for Equestria. I know I am, and I know that once I'm up and about, that there is much we can tell each other."

He would. :twilightsmile:

This was great, though I regret the fact I decided not to read this and its prequel til recently as I only did as I have been enjoying Forgotten Sunrise. Also ngl I would love to see a sequel to this alternate ending but I guess it's up to the author himself aka miles if he's up to doing it in the future. Only time will tell for that one. :applejackunsure:

I enjoy alternate endings and I also read the main ending with Sunset Shimmer, this story is so cool I like it alot. I can't wait for the next story.

11256160
Thanks for reading! More is coming soon.

11256174
Awesome I'm looking forward to it. Right now I'm reading the one before frozen north which is forgotten where Sunny and her Friends find the ruins of Twilight's Ponyville Castle.

11306119
:yay:
I am loving sunsets return though

This is a great story line that was really well written.

11316261
Still going on in the next story! Thanks for reading!

All of your work is enjoyable to read, you really know how to put emotion in your writing. So I know it will be good.

Ok somehow I missed this chapter and the alt-story since my eyes were only reading the sunset tale... Dude, this is what I wanted and I missed it :twilightblush:

I really enjoyed this story and its predecessor.
I must say I preferred the alternate ending, but I'm such a sucker for happy endings. :twilightsmile:

11338056
I'm expanding this alternate ending.

Forgotten: The Crystal Princess.

Only the first chapter is up so far. Thanks for reading!

11338179
I just noticed it after posting - I will read that one too. So...I suppose now we've split the timeline... :-O

And finished! It was a fun read, good work!:twilightsmile:
Interesting take on the Unity Crystals origin, I remember seeing a similar possible theory going around after the movie premiered.
Sad you "killed" off Luna and Spike, Luna I more or less saw coming, but I was kind of hoping Spike could have been still around in some way. Oh well at least we still got Sunset and apparently Flurry in an alternate timeline, you just like throwing out and then expanding on what ifs endings don't you :rainbowlaugh:.

Quick question about Forgotten Sunrise, notice you at a bunch of chapters for it already and I was wondering if you knew an estimate of how close you are too finishing it? Usually like reading complete fics if I can.

11353886
I'm likely at the 80-85% mark with that currently.

11387015
Two sequels.

One where Flurry survives, and one where Sunset comes through.

Login or register to comment