• Published 9th Sep 2012
  • 2,786 Views, 41 Comments

Crestfallen Soldier - Dishonor20



The story is dead space crossover it's about soldier working for Earth Defense Force how will the n

  • ...
10
 41
 2,786

Just Following Orders

I was angry, and I had every right to be. She went in my dreams, and found things out about me I didn't even tell my parents, but she reminded me of James sad and scared. A part of me wanted to be pissed off, but another part of me felt sad for her. Twilight saw I was awake. Then she looked at princess Luna. Her eyes widened she ran over to Luna. “ Princess are you okay?” concern was in her voice and her eyes. Shining Armor ran over to Luna. Luna looked up at me she had tears in her eyes. I sat up, she started to move towards my bed. Shining Armor looked at me with anger and confusion. Luna was next to my bed I turned to face her. Twilight was standing right next to her. Luna wrapped her hooves around me. Was this a hug and what did it stand for. They seemed friendly enough for me to take it to be a good thing.

I sat there awkwardly until she broke the hug. “ Are you okay?” I asked I didn't know how to treat the situation. She still had a few tears falling from her eyes. “ I'm sorry.” She said. What was she sorry for, was it going into my dreams, or was she sorry for me. “ No one should have to live that kind that life.” There was my answer, but how did she know it wasn't just a bad dream. Then again it was in chronological order. Also what was I going to say. Should I sugarcoat it, or dull it down, or even ignore the problem. Sugarcoating it would be difficult, and ignoring the problem would only lead to more problems. “ Look it was my decisions that got me there don't feel sorry for me.” I said. “ Did you chose to go into war?” she asked. She was angered by my response. “ No, but I was just following orders.” I replied. “ So was losing your friends an order then?” she was angered further by my second response. “ That was out of my control, and there was nothing I could do about it.” I replied I had to force myself to remain calm. How could she think I would ever want to lose my squad. She noticed she struck a nerve “ I'm sorry I didn't mean to...” she was at a lost for words. “ Its fine, but what's done is done.” I said. She looked upset from the answer. “ But you... took your own life.” she had a few more tears flowing down her eyes.

What was I going to do. Should I tell them about the necromorphs, or should I just let them think I killed myself. I didn't know what to do. “ Is this why you didn't tell us how you got here?” she asked . “ Ya.” I said as sadly as possible I made my decision. “ Listen I'm better now I won't try anything like that again I promise.” I said trying to make her feel better. It worked she seemed to calm down. “ Listen what you saw was just the bad parts of my life I had good times also.” I said. She took a deep breath and exhaled she calmed down a good bit since the beginning. I thought about giving her a hug but part of me rejected the idea. So I just sat there. She looked over at the clock on the wall. She let out a sigh “ I have to get back to my duties.” she said a little shaken“ I'll be back tomorrow.” she said walking out the door. All I can do is hope she didn't have nightmares, and I hated hoping it implies you have no control over the matter. I looked over to see Twilight confused and sadden by what she just heard. “ What happened?” she asked with concern in her voice. I wondered why they were so concerned for me. I thought about what would have happened if they came to my universe. All outcomes I thought of would not end pretty. I guess I should be happy there not malicious. Twilight snapped me out of my daze. “ Are you willing to tell me what happened?” she asked. “ No.” I said bluntly. She looked like she was about to protest, but was interrupted by Shining Armor “ Twilight I need to talk to Austin alone.” he said. Twilight looked at me I gave her a nod, and she walked out of the room.

“ Are you willing to tell me?” he asked. He didn't look angry anymore. I think he would be able to handle it. I told him everything up to the point were “ I killed myself.” He had a saddening look on his face. Good thing theirs a huge difference between seeing something, and being told about it. “ Something doesn't add up.” he said. “ How did you get so cut up?” he was smart, but I couldn't tell him. “ Listen I would tell you if I thought you could handle it.” I said. “ What do you mean by that?” he asked “ Just trust me on this.” I said. He was thinking about what to do “ Fine.” he said reluctantly. I noticed the sunlight outside fade quickly then moon light was shining in the room. I was confused how it happened, but after all that happened, should I be surprised. Shining Armor looked outside “ Its getting late I'm heading out. Also I will tell Twilight you need your rest. Also there are some guards outside the door if you need anything just shout.” he said “ Thanks.” I said as he walked out the door. I was tired after all that just happened. I rested my head on my pillow, and like always sleep came quickly for me.

The dream picked up were it left off. I woke up in a freezing cold apartment room. I stood up and flicked on the TV. Static just as I knew what would happen. This time the dream wasn't lucid so I had to watch this nightmare unfold. I heard a scream from out side my door. The scream startled me I thought some one was getting robbed. I walked out side my room. A woman came running from behind the corner. She saw me and reached out for me. The next thing I knew a blade was sticking out form her stomach. She gave a blood curling scream. She was pulled behind the corner I ran inside and grabbed my pistol. I saw the thing that killed the woman. It had blades coming out from it's shoulders. It whole body looked mangled and deformed. “ What the hell!” It scared the living shit out of me. I raised my pistol and proceed to fire at it. The thing didn't even flinch. I had just put ten bullets into it and it didn't even flinch. It charged directly at me. The thing was incredibly fast. I rolled to the right just it time to avoid the blade like limbs that were going to slash me apart. I Sprung back to my feet. I was behind it now I grabbed the blade like limbs and kicked it's leg as hard as I could. It was on its knees. I put my foot on its back and pushed as hard as I could against it's back. It was flailing I ripped one of the blade like limbs off. It was on the ground now I shoved the blade through it's back which pinned it to the floor. I was still alive, and flailing. I put my foot on the other blade like limb to stop it from flailing. I ripped the blade from it's back. Then I shoved it through the monsters face. It stopped moving after that. I looked around, and didn't see any more of them. I went back into my room. What the hell was that thing I thought to myself. I decided to change into my military uniform it might help me get farther then a civilian. I grabbed a extra mag for my pistol. I saw my knife sitting on a table I didn't know what it was going to do, but I grabbed it anyway. I checked my rig for messages. One had come from EarthGov saying martial law has been declared. Then I checked my orders. My primary orders was to aid in evacuation, and my secondary orders were to find Issac Clark and Nolan Stross, and kill them. What had they done to deserve death. I wondered to my self. Maybe they were the ones responsible for this. I looked back down at the creature that laid there lifelessly.

Another message popped up on my rig. It was John Clark he was asking if I had any idea what was going on. I called John “ John?” I asked. “ What the hell's going on!” he yelled. “ I don't know.” I replied. “ There are soldiers outside my door telling me to go to the evacuation shuttles.” he said fear in his voice. “ Trust me get there as fast as you can.” I said. “ What about you.” he said concern in his voice. “ I'll be fine just go to the evacuation shuttles.” I said. “ Alright I'll head over to the shuttles.” he said as he ended the call. I had to get to the military base. I walked carefully I watched my back, and my corners. I saw the body of the woman that the creature killed. She was missing her head and one of her arms. I saw her decapitated head only a few feet away “ What the fuck.” was the only thing I could say I felt like I was about to puke. I saw a few more of those monsters coming. I decided to hide rather then fight them. Once they passed I got the hell out of there until. I saw a group of soldiers standing in front of a group of Unitologists. There were about 25 Unitologists, and six soldiers. The soldiers saw me approach they all raised there weapons. They noticed my uniform and lowered there weapons. “ Shit man you scared us!” one of the soldiers yelled. “ Who's the ranking officer?” I asked. One soldier stepped forward “ Corporal Bradly Sir.” “ Were is your Sargent?” I asked. “ He's dead.” one of the soldiers said somberly. “ We should be asking you the same.” Bradly said. “ I don't have a squad, but I'm Sargent Austin Schroeder.” I said. “ You don't have a squad.” Bradly said confused. “ Well no I was suppose to be redeployed days ago, but I'm still here I was also to get a new squad once I was redeployed.” I said. “ I have something to ask you why have you stopped these people.” I said pointing to the Unitologists. “ Were waiting for our orders.” Bradly said. It made sense the brass was probably tied up with those damn monsters. “ I heard the soldiers rig's ping they looked at there messages. Some of them stared at the message with disbelief. “ Whats wrong?” I asked. One of the soldiers showed me there message. It said to kill the crowd of Unitologists. “ This can't be right can it?” one of the soldiers asked. “ Let me call Command.” I said. I called command center, and I walked away from the group of people, and I then told command all that happened, but I was interrupted “ Command we were just given an order to execute a group of Unitologists.” Bradly said speaking. “ Sargent Austin Schroeder I'm putting you in charge of the squad you found.” the man said. I was shocked. “ And the order stands the Unitologists are responsible for whats going on here.” Command ended the call.

We Were given an order to execute unarmed Unitologists. My mind was fighting it self. “ Forget command let's let these people go they didn't do anything.” Bradly said. “ Are you joking they caused the outbreak of Necromorphs.” another soldier said. So that's whats those monsters were called. “ There unarmed let them go.” A voice in my head said. “ Follow your orders.” another said it wasn't the voice from Scorpio 6. “ Are you going to really execute innocent civilians.” one voice said. “ We have an order follow it, besides these were the bastards who started this anyway.” The other voice said. “ Do whats right.” The kind voice said. “ You know what you must do.” the other voice said coldly. I snapped back into the real world. “ Sargent what should we do?” a soldier asked. “ Follow your heart.” the kind voice said. “ Your a soldier follow your orders!” the cold voice said. The cold voice was stronger then the kind voice. “ You can't be seriously considering this can you.” Bradly said talking to me. “ We'll follow order right sir.” Another soldier said looking to me. “ Don't do it” the kind voice said “ Follow orders.” the other said. I had to follow orders, but I couldn't kill unarmed people, could I. I had to make a decision “ We follow our orders.” I said. “ I guess war did change us.” the kind voice said, and with that I felt a part of me die. “ You made the right choice.” the cold voice said warmly. “ This isn't right!” Bradly yelled. “ It is the right choice.” another soldier said. Me and a few other soldiers walked up to the Unitologists. Bradly through his weapon down and walked in front of me. “ You going to have to kill me first.” he said “ Move Bradly.” a soldier said. “ You better make sure you kill me because if you don't I will find you and I will kill you.” Bradly said I knew he meant it. “ Corporal Bradly stand down!” I said in a voice that demanded obedience. “ Sorry Sir, but you can go to hell.” he said rebelliously. I raised my pistol to his forehead. “ Stand down now!” I yelled some of the soldiers looked at me with fear, what have I become. “ No!” he yelled with determination. I raised my gun, and pistol whipped him in the side of the head. He fell to the floor unconscious. The soldiers looked at me with a look of complete terror on there faces. “ Lets go” I said the soldiers followed with out question. We were standing in front of the Unitologists now. They all looked at me with fear on there faces. What have I become I thought to myself I raised my pistol. “ READY!” I yelled. “ You don't have to do this.” one of the Unitologists said. “ AIM!” “ Why are you doing this?” one of them asked “ Just Following orders.” I replied. The soldiers had there weapons raised. “ FIRE!” I yelled and with that me and soldiers began to fire upon the Unitologists. They all fired until they ran out of ammo. I looked at the pile of dead bodies that littered the ground. They all laid there lifeless, a huge pool of blood was starting to form. I went over to Bradly and picked him up and put him over my shoulders I dropped my pistol in the process, and just left it there “ Lets move out.” I said. We all made our way to the military evacuation zone.

“ This is the last Shuttle Leaving all aboard.” A man said. We ran up to him. “ There isn't enough room for seven of you.” The man said. “ What there has to be.” I said. “ We only have room for six more.” the man said. “ So one of us has to stay behind.” I said. “ I'll do it.” I said. The soldiers looked at me with surprise. “ But Sir.” “ No buts just go.” I allowed one of the soldiers to take the still unconscious Bradly away from me. The soldiers loaded on the shuttle. The man was right behind them “ Listen I heard the Government side of Titan Station still has Shuttles coming in and out you should go there.” the man said “ I will thanks.” I replied as he loaded on the shuttle. I was alone. “ Come on throw your best at me, and just get it over with already!” I was yelling at some invisible force.

I awoke in a cold sweat. Those final word played through my head. Had I brought this on my self? I shook the thought out of my head, and I looked out side it was still night outside, but I wasn't about to go asleep again. I looked around the room there were no ponies. I let out a sigh of relief, but I was hungry and thirsty. Shining Armor said there was some guards outside the door. I stood up I felt a little woozy a first, but I quickly gained my footing. They were just cuts and scratches no broken bones, but I was still sore. They kept my socks on at least. I walked on the cold tile floor to the door and turned the handle ever so slightly until the door was opened. I peeked outside the guard I was looking at looked like it was going to pass out. “ Hello.” I whispered. The guard looked at me then it's eyes opened widely. It had a look of surprise on it's face. “ Uh.” It had a deep voice so I guess it was a guy. He was wearing gold armor and had pure white fur. “ Can you get me some water please?” I asked. He looked at me still surprised “ If you want I could get it myself.” I said. “ Uh that's not necessary I'll go get it.” he said as he started to walk down the hall. The pain feels as if had subsided, but I decided not to put my body through the paces quite yet. I was still able to walk that's some thing to be happy about I suppose. I was always told be happy for the little things you had. I heard I knock at the door. It was the guard he had a pitcher of water. He had to turn his head almost sideways to hold. I grabbed it from him. “ Why didn't you just use a bucket it would have been easier, and why dose it have a handle as if it was meant for some thing with opposable thumbs or hands for that matter?” I asked. “ I don't know its always been that way.” he said. I wanted to start questioning him then I looked at the door handle it was meant for use by hand. What the hell was going on, but my stomach reminded me I was hungry “ I hate to ask, but could you get me some food.” I said. “ Like?” he asked. Horses or ponies as they were called were herbivores so some thing made of plants “ A salad.” I said. “ Alright.” he said as he walked down the hall for the second time.

He came back with the salad I thanked him for it. I went over and sat on my bed the only thing lighting the room was moonlight. The salad contained Lettuce, tomatoes, diced carrots, croutons, and oh, dandelions. I ate everything but the dandelions. I set the near empty bowl on the table next to my bed, and I chugged the pitcher of water and set it on the table as well. I decided to examine my injuries. I left the bandages on. I just felt around then I felt were I was stabbed. A jolt of pain surged through my body. I retracted my arm quickly, the pain subsided after a few seconds. I looked at the clock I couldn't make out what it said. The numbers looked foreign to me, but if it was anything like a clock back home it was around midnight. I stood up and started to pace the room. I didn't want to fall back to sleep. Then the image of the Unitologists flashed in my head. My mind usually kept me from seeing images I didn't want to see while I was awake. The image stayed in my head what if they were innocent. Then I remembered that command said they caused it. Which one was true. I hated my mind it would contradict it self some times. Was it a lawful order. Hell did we even have a plan for those damned things. My mind was fighting its self again, but lucky for me no voices. Then I thought to my response “ Just following orders.” was this the right thing to do. I have heard of cases were people said the same thing. Some of the things they did were horrendous. I thought about it even more. Was it or wasn't it the right thing to do. “ The past is the past don't let it change the present.” It was the voice from Scorpio 6, but this time he didn't sound evil. He didn't speak anymore, but I knew what he meant. He was telling me to move on with my life. Although I was in a land I didn't know anything about, and I didn't know what was next. I had to do the one thing I hated to do. Hope.