• Published 7th Feb 2021
  • 1,219 Views, 3 Comments

Twiset Shimarkle - 20thCentury Brony



Sixteen years after Holidays Unwrapped, Sunset Shimmer and her friends visit Princess Twilight Sparkle's Day of Unity festival just in time to fight an enemy from the past.

  • ...
1
 3
 1,219

Fear

Scene Twenty-Five: The Best of Me

Team Twi-Flutter-Jack had been moving around the castle’s catacombs for a way in. And their luck was anything but. Every corner they turned to were but a dead-end, secret switches revealed booby traps, and they had near-chance encounters with monsters security. And, to Applejack and Fluttershy, it felt like a maze down there. Much to the two’s dumbfounded surprise, Twilight still remained the unfazed optimist from the library, as if nothing could crush it. As they continued, Flutters and AJ talked aside about their leader’s optimism, clearly worried about their friend. Before they introduced themselves to…themselves, Twilight was cracking under the pressure from the argument. And now, Spruce was marching forward with an optimism so confident that it’d rival Pinkie’s.

As they ventured a narrow and long passageway, Fluttershy exhaled a deep sigh before approaching Twilight.

“Um, Twilight?” she meekly asked her pony of attention.

Turning to the Pegasus rather abrupt, Twilight gave her a nonchalant expression. “Yes, Flutters?” she asked.

“Well, uhh…,” Fluttershy trailed off as she looked back and forth from AJ to Sci-Twi. The farmer gave the veterinarian a “get-on-with-it” expression, while the alchemist gave off a “I’m waiting” look. Sweat pouring down, Fluttershy bit her lip. “You’vebeenactingawfullyoptimitsicandwe’reworriedforyou.” the shy girl managed to sputter in rapid succession before letting a phew escape her, apparently happy to get it off her chest. An emotion not shared by Applejack, who facehoofed herself in exasperation, and Twilight, who looked on with pained shock.

“I’m what?” Twilight stuttered. Seeing her hurt friend, Fluttershy blushed sheepishly and readied herself to speak again.

“What she meant to say,” Applejack grinded, cutting Fluttershy off before she could say anything, “was that, while we all appreciate your optimism, ya’ve been…uh.” Applejack then trailed off, unable to find an honest, yet nice way of describing Twilight.

“Come on, I can take it!” demanded Twilight.

“Argh! Y’all being too optimistic, okay!?!”

“Whoa, your honestly just pierced me.”

“Ya told me you could take it!”

“Yeah, but…” Twilight tried to defend herself, but couldn’t find the right thing to say, leaving her to grunt in anger and turning to continue forward, her horn more illuminated.

“Nice going,” AJ and Flutters scolded each other as they tried to keep up with Sci-Twi.

“Guys, just tell me if there’s something bothering you two; I promise to understand!” barked the bespectacled unicorn. Applejack and Fluttershy could only exchange looks with one another, waiting for one of them to speak up.

“Sugarcube,” Applejack finally spoke, “it’s just that with all of these monsters, our friends divided, and nothing on Sunset and Princess Twilight, you’re acting awfully too optimistic…and that’s Pinkie’s schtick.”

“Is that so wrong?” questioned a peeved Twilight, her gaze fixed forward. Applejack bit her lip, hoping her next words to be gentler. Seeing this, Fluttershy stepped in.

“No, there’s nothing wrong with it; it’s just when we met ourselves, you were panicking,” she clarified, “And then Grogar came along and, to you, this’ just another day in the office.” Twilight turned to the shy Pegasus with a deadpan yet mad look. “And we thought you’d be Twilighting by this point.” Fluttershy finished with a meek grin.

But Twilight didn’t share the grin. Instead, she kept scowling away at Fluttershy. Applejack scowled her own at Twilight for beating poor Shy down. A tense moment hung over the three mares until Twilight finally broke her scowl with a sigh of defeat.

“You really prefer Princess Twilight, don’t you guys?” she sadly questioned as she turned back forward.

Hearing this caused Applejack and Fluttershy’s eyes to shoot up in surprise. Exchanging quick glances at each other, they paced up to catch up with their leader, whose pace had only slightly slowed down.

“Ah’m sorry, Twilight, but what do you mean?” Applejack apologetically inquired on Twilight’s left.

Shifting her head on both sides, Twilight saw both Fluttershy and Applejack with hurt, yet concerned eyes. They weren’t being let in on something. And they wanted to know exactly what since they’ve unintentionally hurt her. As much as the human counterpart of the first Twilight they knew wanted to avoid the conversation, they clearly wanted to know now that the cat’s out of the bag. With a shaking sigh, Twilight dropped her weights.

“I know we’ve been friends since the Games and you’ve been boosting my confidence since, but… I just can’t help but feel myself to be nothing some replacement for her like one of those new cast members that the fans don’t like that much. True I’ve proven myself from time to time, but I still don’t like I mean so much to you girls. So, if I’m so perky, it’s because I want to prove my worth and how much I contribute to you girls. I don’t want to let you guys down; I want to be the best for you.”

Twilight opened her shuttered, watery eyes to see Applejack and Fluttershy now looking on with concerned disappointment. Knowing where it was, she waited for them to whip out the “we-believe-in-you” bull they’ve gotten to a T.

“Twilight,” cooed Fluttershy as her hoof found its way on Twilight’s cheek and turned it to the shy Pegasus. “We are all scared of failing each other. You’re not alone in your fear of failure. Anyone would wish to be the best they could be for the ones they love, but you have to make do with what you can do.”

Twilight’s eyes grew wide and her tears dried up on her cheek. She never had expected something like that from Fluttershy of all people. What the shy pony claimed managed to lift off a large amount of the weigh crushing her heart and felt almost entirely better.

“Flutter’s right,” AJ seconded. Sci-Twi and Flutters both turned their heads to see their farming friend hanging her head in shame, clearly effected by the truthful statement. And, in Twilight’s magic, either they were seeing things, or they could’ve seen tears streaming down Applejack’s face as her mouth quivered. “Ah promised myself that we’d stick together against any villain, but the minute we got here, Ah broke that promise by not keeping us together.” And with that, she completely broke down, placing her hat over her eyes.

All three mares stopped in their tracks to embrace each other in a big hug.

“No offense, girls,” Twilight chuckled through the peace, “but hearing you two chew yourselves up over your own demons makes me feel just a bit better.” Surprisingly, Applejack and Fluttershy chuckled as well, clearly feeling the same way.

The peace shared amongst the three was by far the most relaxing thing since the whole takeover began. Embracing each other and coming clean with such fear was like lifting the world’s weight off their backs. But as much as they would want to stay that way for much longer, they knew they had to keep moving.

So they unwillingly had to break apart.

“It’s great to have such great friends like you girls,” Twilight sniffled, rubbing tears out of her eyes.

“Likewise,” the two other mares declared.

*

Team Rari-Rainbow-Pie weren’t so fortunate either. Results were the same to that of the other team: dead-ends, booby traps, monster security, with the exception of Rainbow and Rarity going out each other’s’ throats for every five minutes. And Pinkie was not having any of their manure. Whenever things got to heated between the two, Pinkie would, with her usual Pinkiness, whip them back into shape with either a tap with a bat or a tug of their manes. Much to their surprise, Pinkie hadn’t cracked much of her 24/7 smile since they regrouped and hadn’t been much of her usual annoying, yet sweet self. Her change in personality was by far the only thing Rarity and Rainbow could agree on.

Many more paces forward later and it was time for somepony to talk to Pinkie.

“Uh, Pinkie Pie, darling?” Rarity treaded carefully, her horn radiating across the halls.

“What?” grinded Pinkie as her head did a 180 to face Rarity while continuing down the passage. The unicorn clearly knew that Pinkie wasn’t in the mood for another argument.

“Well, is there something that you like to share with us?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well…”

Rainbow’s groan derailed Rarity’s thoughts and the cyan Pegasus shot in front of her with a peeved face. “You’re acting totally Pinkamena instead of Pinkie!!!” she furiously claimed. Her outburst’s caused Rarity to facehoof herself and Pinkie to stretch her neck right up to Rainbow’s face, not stopping in her tracks. Pinkie’s face was losing its pink and being overtaken by an angry red. Rainbow was familiar with Pinkie upset or angry, but her shifted from pink and red terrified the brave pony. Her eyes darting from side to side and sweat pouring down, Rainbow hoped for a way out of her predicament. But Pinkie wouldn’t allow it.

“Whatcha talkin’ about, Rainbow?!” she furiously coaxed.

“It’s just that…,” Rainbow began before biting her lip briefly. Pinkie scowled at Rainbow, visibly telling her to get on with it. “…with all of this whole hostile-takeover-and-the-new-very-bad-bad-guy going on, Rarity and I…we were thinking you’d be normal Pinkie Pie about this.”

Finally, Pinkie’s body fully rotated to even with her head and finally stopped trotting. Even her neck receded to normal length. Now, she was bearing down on both mares with a piercing scowl, both of them now frozen scared and sweating. Her entire body was now completely turned red, the cork on her bottle ready to blow open. Quick looks at each other did little to ease RD and Rarity’s sweating nerves as Pinkie’s cheeks puffed up, ready to explode in 5…4…3…2…

Miraculously, she simply blew all of her steam out.

“I’m sorry, girls,” confessed Pinkie, “but nothing about this is a job for Pinkie Pie.”

Hearing and seeing Pinkie so calm now, Rarity and Rainbow wanted to release their stress and chuckle in relief, but their surprise to Pinkie’s confession outweighed the former.

“Are you joking, Pinkie?” hoped the cautious athlete. She then proceeded to give off a very weak laugh to accompany the hopeful joke, but the glum look on Pinkie quickly snuffed her hopes. Rarity gave the blushing Dash a concern look for their current problem.

“Pinkie, dear,” Rarity cautioned, “whatever is bothering you?”

The party pony turned her glum expression to the fashionista, making the latter freeze in nerves. Seeing Pinkie act so gray and moody wasn’t anything new, but this was something else. What felt like eternity passed when Pinkie finally poured her heart out.

“Usually, I’m not so…gray. And when I say that, I don’t mean Pinkamena gray; I mean…another gray. We’ve all fought anything she-demons and celebrities since the Formal, been through so much together. But with everything going on with us, our marriages, our own lives, I can’t help but feel like people like Grofar are going to be the only thing that keeps us together. With these changes, I just-just-just…”

Finally unloading her heart, Pinkie collapsed on the dirt floor and started to sob quietly and uncontrollably. Rainbow and Rarity were flabbergasted by Pinkie’s words. Never have they ever seen the happiest of their group break down so miserably. Pinkie was always the woman who found the brighter side of every situation; seeing her be the pessimist was both terrifying and heartbreaking.

Rainbow trotted to her friend and placed her good wing around her into a hug.

“Pinkie,” she cooed, “please don’t cry. It’s usually Fluttershy who does it and… you acting like her is…” She couldn’t finish her sentence as she was fighting back tears of her own.

“We’re all scared,” Rarity completed. “It’s okay to be. But that’s change. It’s both terrifying and natural. Nothing can keep it from happening.” Pinkie’s tears only began anew, Rainbow and Rarity looking at each other with regret for pressing such a subject before the fashionista too joined the two in the embrace. “Pinkie, Sunset’s presence into our world was probably the biggest and bestest change to happen to all of us. She’s the glue that keeps the team together.”

“She has a point. And no matter what, we’ll always be together.” RD sniffled. She turned her head to see Pinkie’s face’s shining with tears and eyes bloodshot. But the most beautiful part was her smile she gave to them. The party pony then engulfed the other two in one of her ever-calming Pinkie-Pie-hugs. Usually, they’d be hard to breathe through, but Rainbow and Rarity didn’t care since they got the old Pinkie to come out.

The peace shared amongst the three was by far the most relaxing thing since the whole takeover began. Embracing each other and coming clean with such fears was like lifting the world’s weight off their backs. But as much as they would want to stay that way for much longer, they knew they had to keep moving.

So they unwillingly had to break apart.

“You girls are the best to ask for,” whimpered Pinkie.

“Same with you,” the two other mares declared.

(The Best of Me by The Humane 6: Accompanying the slow tempo and the equally slow pulse, piano and strings are the primary instruments used for the somber number.)

Fluttershy: I’ve been so grounded by my demons

Keeping me from ever reaching the sky

Applejack: But when I stand by those who are like me

I feel powerful enough to just try

Fluttershy: We are all one and the same in a way

Applejack: With fears and hopes shared wanting to just be

Flutters/AJ: And when I’m surrounded by my friends,

I can just feel you know the best of me

Short Instrumental

Rarity: Life and fate will never seem to act fair

We will always be hounded by our fears

Rainbow Dash: Yet when those fears try to consume us whole

With you, their voices I just cannot hear

Rarity: The pressure turns us all into diamonds

Rainbow Dash: Shimmering past the dark doubts bent to be

Rare/RD: ‘Cause when I’m surrounded by my friends

I can just feel you know the best of me

Short Instrumental

Pinkie Pie: We can walk different just like night from day

Keeping our one true selves from shining on

Twilight Spruce: When suddenly, I know the grand truth

Of your warmth making the fears come undone

Pinkie Pie: We are forever bound together, yes

Twilight Spruce: Elements defining the best of we

Pinkie/Sci-Twi: Just when we’re surrounded by our friends

We can all feel the very best of me

Short Instrumental

Humane 6: We are where we are meant to be

We are who we are meant to be

We are the very best of me

We are the very best of me

Finishing Instrumental

As they sang their voices out, they could hear other voices calling off the walls. Considering them deeply for a moment, both team of mares’ faces lit up with the realization of who it might have been. Nearing the end of the last verse, both trios listened to the sounds of each other’s voices, their joy growing more openly as they got closer to each other. Some twists and turns and dead ends through the maze of underground tunnels later… and they finally found each other.

Standing on opposite sides of the hallway, both groups could not fully grasp the amount of emotion building within them. Due to recent events, they couldn’t help but fear the worst. But seeing them now, it was overwhelming for the better.

Rainbow and Pinkie broke the standstill with a rushing hug, engulfing each other. Soon enough, the rest of the Humane 6 joined the embrace, crying joyfully and confessing their lovable friendship as they melted into each other’s hooves.

After an eternity of relieved joy, they pulled apart, wiping tears from their eyes.

“Thank the Great Writer you guys are okay,” Pinkie sniffled through her tears.

“Likewise, darlings.” whimpered Rarity.

“Ah don’t wanna believe it, but Ah believe mah eyes,” Applejack confessed.

“I’m so happy to see you girls,” Fluttershy piped over her friends. Her joyous smile, however, turned into a frown when she remembered something. “But you didn’t find Sunset?”

All other faces around her matched her somber expression. In their haste for each other, they’d completely forgotten about Sunset Shimmer. They didn’t really need to worry over her, but since they split from her when Grogar took over, they could only kick themselves in the rump for not taking her concerns seriously. Maybe they would have handled their crisis by now if they stuck together. But now, there was just the six of them against an army of monster and sirens.

Tilting her head up to see the scared faces of her friends, Twilight thought of what Sunset would’ve done or said in such a situation. She would either assure them to everything turning up in the end or rally them with an aspiring speech of confidence. Twilight thought how she could incorporate such methods as her own to lift her friends’ spirits, except she still held onto her doubts on her leadership now that Fluttershy and Applejack knew of them. After letting them once already, she sworn not to repeat it. So she craned her head entirely up with a composed face of confidence, she hardened her resolve.

“No more cowering, girls,” she simply declared. “We’re striking back. And we are doing it for everyone in this world…and for Sunset.”

Her declaration was simple and effective as the rest slowly mimicked her confident face. Seeing this only boosted her self-confidence as they looked to her, expecting to hear her strategy.

“First order: we gear up.”

Scene Twenty-Six: Castle Brawl

As they journeyed throughout their end of underground halls, Team Rari-Rainbow-Pie stumbled onto another of Grogar’s custom trophy rooms, a large hall filled with the mystic artifacts and weapons salvaged from his prisoners and the castle’s deeper recesses. Telling Twi of the weapons, the six mares made towards the weapons, getting ready to fight back.

Following the three mares to the weapons hall, Twilight quickly explained the plan to be sweet and simple. They would gather enough defenses with them before they separated the Sirens from Grogar in order to make things easier for the Mane Six. Once they did so, they would have to divide the ram’s attention in order to steal the Bell from his harness and figure the reverse spell or at least use it against him. Concerned glances aside, the mares believed that the simple idea would work.

Finally, they reached the hall, and they were surprised. On both the left and the right were weapons and spell books and relics galore, some nopony would’ve never see again. While the Humane Six were told of multiple relics by Princess Twilight in the past, most in front of them went unfamiliar.

Shaking off her surprise, Twilight glared her confidence.

“Ladies,” she declared, “choose your weapons.”

And off they went, searching for the weapons that would pick them. As the eyes could have seen, the Two Sisters and Twilight had collected many long forgotten artifacts, as the halls stretched for over an estimated six feet. The six nearly lost their way around the torch-lit room on a few occasions before they found their way back. Eventually, each weapon found their mares.

Ever the fashionable one, Rarity fashioned the Sapphire Gems, a ring and a necklace capable of forming any imagined thought. Rainbow Dash fancied herself a quartet of hoof-wear that enable elemental control called the Elemental Hooves. Aside from loading practically everything in the hall onto a wagon, the only significant item Pinkie Pie armed herself with was the Impossiband, a headband that’d make her Pinkism more Pinkieish. Fluttershy’s choice was a mere pony-faced totem necklace called the Animal Kingdom that gave the wearer the abilities of every animal alive. The Belt of Feats, giving whoever wore it the magic to perform amazing feats of anything, hung onto Applejack’s waist. Twilight Spruce’s choice was the mysterious Harmonious, a bracelet with fragments of the Elements of Harmony embedded in it.

Once gathering back at the entrance, the Humane Six looked over each other, ready to fight for all they hold dear. Standing in a line, shoulder to shoulder, the six exchanged glances of reassurance before they all took a step forward…

…just as the ceiling nearly crumbled on top of them!

Forced to scatter, the six mares evaded the crumbling debris as the dust engulfed the hall. Rare and Twi managed to defend themselves and Fluttershy in their magic. As AJ and RD sought for cover, Pinkie managed to toss Rockhoof’s shovel and Flash Magnus’ shield towards the respective mares who used the artifacts to defend themselves.

Soon enough, the dust and rumble settled, and from it came the grinning wrath of the Sirens.

“Very long time, no see, ponies,” Aria snarled, clearly ready for a fight.

“Not long enough, Aria,” spat Applejack.

“Yeah, it was only sixteen years we saw you girls,” Sonata chimed in, earning groans from her sisters.

“You three are making a mistake teaming with Grogar,” proclaimed Twilight. “Don’t you realize he’ll throw you aside once you’re useless to him?”

“I personally don’t care, Rainboom,” countered the lead Siren, “all I do care is that I choke the life out of your precious Sunset.”

“You’ll eat those words soon enough.”

With that, Twilight fired the first shot directly at Adagio, sending her flying to the cracked ceiling. Sonata and Aria flew straight for the temporary leader, only to be flung by a cyclone from Rainbow Dash. Once the remaining two collided with the wall, Rainbow looked at her new hoof-wear with an awestruck face, clearing thinking her signature word. Before she could gaga further, the ceiling above her crumbled again to reveal the angered Maulwurf, joined shortly by the Bugbear and Chimera.

The large mole creature charged for the prideful Pegasus. Before the former could come within a foot of Rainbow, Applejack came swooping in to save her best friend. Leaping high, the farmer pony caught the Maulwurf’s swinging claw and tossed it down the hall, right into the arriving Cerberus. Landing on her hind hooves, Applejack posed heroically with forehooves on her hips while admiring her new tool.

“Showoff,” scoffed Rainbow.

“Direct yar comments ta the belt, not me, sugar,” chortled AJ cockily.

Out of nowhere, a swift head-charge sent the farm pony across the hall. Getting back on her legs, she saw the Chimera with a cocky, razor-toothed grin and, with her claw, gestured her to bring it on. Wiping the dirt of her face, Applejack growled and charged, accepting the challenge.

Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Rarity were circled by a trio of Timberwolves, baring their barked teeth. One eventually pounced onto Pinkie, which immediately cried in pain once it sank its teeth into the party pony. Feeling around its mouth, the wolf felt the tip of a fang missing and found it on the ground in front of Pinkie, who looked up with an innocent smile. Growling in frustration, it slashed at Pinkie, only to go right through her. Looking at the dumbfounded Timberwolf, Pinkie kept her smile as she pulled two giant platefuls of cupcakes out of her mane.

“My turn!” she cheered as she rapidly threw treats at the wolf.

Fluttershy and Rarity, meanwhile, had their own wooden dogs to deal with.

Ever the animal lover, Fluttershy wasn’t exactly up for actually fighting one. In fact, she did her specialty: affection for them. Before the wolf could even strike her, she managed to dash past its claw and began to rub its belly. Despite its bark skin, the wolf could feel her hooves affectionally rub its underside. It then got on its back, starting to enjoy the Pegasus’ rub.

“Oh, who’s a good boy?” cooed Fluttershy in her motherly voice.

Unfortunately, she was swatted aside by the Tatzlwurm’s tail. Colliding with Rainbow Dash, the Pegasi looked up at the worm with equal fury. Seeing her girlfriend struck in such a way, Rainbow expanded her wings, ready to charge only for the former’s hoof to extend in front of her.

Please,” the shy pony declared with an angered tone that Dash found hot, “let mama handle this.”

The totem around her neck glowed, morphing into a rhino head, and with that, Fluttershy charged with a snort. Running with Earth Pony speed, the Pegasus charged headfirst into the Wurm and, in such incredibleness, knocked the equally charging Tatzlwurm off the ground and into the air right on top of the Maulwurf and Bugbear. Regaining her clear vision from the charging, Fluttershy gawked at her recent actions before staring down at her totem as it returned to the pony head.

“Oh my,” she could only manage. She looked back at her tough girlfriend in time to see her mouth agape and wings popping out on their own, clearly turned on by what she just saw her more timid love do.

Rarity was forced to deal with the two Timberwolves and the Chimera. As the three beasts circled the fashionable unicorn, growling in hopes of scaring her, she was unfazed and stood with a bold stance. Looking back and forth at her accessories, she wondered exactly how they work. Charging up her horn, the ring upon it turned her blue aura into indigo and her necklace brightened as well. Before the beast could react, the unicorn’s horn unleashed a large strand of magic ribbon and whipped it at the Timberwolves as they jumped close together. From behind, the Chimera positioned herself to pounce as Rarity continued on. Once she did so, however, Rarity tied her ribbon to her paw and tossed the three-headed creature onto the wooden dogs. As they laid in the ground, Rarity’s necklace beamed a magical box that fitted the trio perfectly as the ribbon wrapped itself around it afterwards. Rarity was taken by her Gems’ majestic magic.

“For the most creative use of a pair of magic jewelry in a supporting role, the award goes to…Equestria Girls Rarity!” Pinkie announced as she unleashed her party cannon into the air and rained balloons, confetti, and a Grammy-esque award upon the quizzical Rarity's hooves. Her moment ended when a missed soundwave from Aria and Sonata jilted her back into the fight, turning to battle the two Sirens, Rainbow alongside.

As their partners fought each other, Twilight and Adagio duked it out for themselves. Both leaders fired upon one another, seeking to stun, even wound, their opponent for a more personal combat. Dazzle held dominance in the air dodging blasts and unleashing waves, while Spruce held her own on the ground, blocking soundwaves and hurling stones. They soon charged at each other with fighting prowess, magic charged, entering a standstill. Both leaders pushed back against the other with all they have, hoping to advance over the other, growling like war dogs.

“Such accessories won’t help you.” bit the Dazzling.

“Oh, just like your pendants?” sassed the Rainboom.

Wide-eyed in fury, Adagio growled a destructive serenade that flew Twilight back. Flat on the ground now, the bespectacled mare looked up to match Dazzle’s fiery eyes before jumping back on her hooves and charging back in the fight, horn charged.

The Rainbooms and the Dazzlings continued to fight it out with each other. As more and more monsters continued to pour into the fight, unrelenting, the heroes were outnumbered. Yet, they wouldn’t falter.

Rainbow and Sonata clashed on in the air, the Pegasus throwing icicles and the Siren firing soundwaves at each other. While Dash was, like her counterpart, the best flyer, Dusk clearly had the more experience with her Equestrian body. Dash attempted to strike from behind, but Sonata remarkably saw it coming and quickly swatted the pony back in front with her tail. Shaking off the stars, Rainbow raised a hoof towards her enemy, spinning a little tornado, only for Sonata to surprise RD again by matching the tornado speed and dissipating it. Dash could only gap in shock of the Siren’s marvelous moves, but it didn’t last long as Sonata rushed her with an elbow strike before fin-slamming her down to the ground and unleashing another soundwave onto the Pegasus. Dying down, she found her downed enemy down and not moving.

Pinkie and Applejack worked together against the creatures pouring from either above the ceiling or down the halls. Using their respective tools, Pinkie swiped many bricks right off the wall and piled them for AJ to buck towards the creatures in a series of moves that would amaze even Rainbow. Their assault couldn’t last long as the Bugbear and Manticore pushed forward and separated the Earth Ponies.

Up against the huge mix of growling bear and bumblebee, Pinkie matched its growl before springing straight, her hooves turning into literal springs that quickly bounced off the Bug’s body, setting it aback. Then she sprinted in circles around it, surrounding the beast in a cyclone of dust and dirt. Before it could do anything at all, the beast was soon assaulted by a series of fast and furious punches at every possible angles. Roaring angrily, the Bugbear could only claw aimlessly at the dust as Pinkie continued on. Soon enough, Pinkie was caught by the tail and soon twirled around, jump-roped, and paddle-balled before being tossed aside hard against the wall.

Applejack’s clash wasn’t any better. The Manticore was a surprising match for Applejack’s own strength. Every rush from any side was thwarted either by its scorpion tail or gargoyle wings. After another failed assault, Applejack, going for it now, just charged straight forward, leaping to deliver a kick to the face, only for the lion to easily dodge and slam her hard into the ground. On top of her, the beast snapped a bite out of the Earth mare, who kept its jaw wide opened. Struggling against each other, AJ finally kneed it in the ribs, freeing herself. She then took the opportunity to deliver blow after blow onto her enemy before being pierced by its scorpion tail! The Manticore proceeded to toss the bleeding mare aside as she lost more stomach blood.

Fluttershy, Rarity, and Aria were battling out when the fashionista noticed her farmer bleeding out. Crying out her flame’s name, Aria took advantage and delivered a piercing soundwave towards the distracted unicorn, sending her flying.

“Such weakness,” the dry-toned Siren insulted before the angered cries of Fluttershy shot her back to see the Pegasus charging fast and hard. Tackling her enemy to the ground, Fluttershy’s totem changed into a lion, signifying her fury. She then pounced onto Aria who outmaneuvered and swung at the Pegasus with a hard fin-slam. As the totem turned into a gorilla, however, Fluttershy caught it easily and twirled Aria around before tossing her aside. Seeing her work, Fluttershy simply breathed her anger out.

Her reverie was interrupted as the growls of the Chimera echoed closest to her, pouncing with sharpened claws. Avoiding the advance, Fluttershy unknowingly scratched the ground with her hooves, glancing down at her cheetah head. Seeing her new skill, the veterinarian instantly rushed the Chimera, zipping past the creature and leaping over or under any attacks. Despite its three heads, the Chimera had no chance of tracing her blur of an enemy. Seeing her dazed state, Fluttershy finally stopped in front of it to do the one thing to stop any fussing animal: The Stare. Whipping it out, her hardened gaze immediately pierced the whimpering, three-headed creature. As she continued, Fluttershy gave herself a mental pat-on-the-back, knowing her secret weapon to work ag…

Before she knew it, the animal lover was headbutted by the goat head, sending her across. Rubbing her temple, Fluttershy moaned pained cries as she looked back at the Chimera before Aria’s voice pierced her ears.

“Sorry to break your heart, little filly,” cackled the Siren, “but a staring contest don’t do ya squat against our spell.”

“But does this against you?!”

Turning to the voice’s direction, she saw an indigo boxing glove rush right at her. Before anything else, she felt her carried right to the catacomb wall, groaning in pain as the glove retracted. Her moment was brief as the construct pummeled her again with a bit more force. The process repeated a couple times until Aria felled limp to the ground.

Standing feet from her enemy, Rarity breathed heavy, her pupils shrank and her skin glowing pink. Turning to her shy friend, she rushed over to Fluttershy and helped her up.

“Are you okay, darling?” the fashionista inquired with evident concern.

“I’m fine, Rarity,” grunted the veterinarian as she rubbed her forehead. “I mean it, I’m just-.” Suddenly, Fluttershy paled and pointed behind Rarity with a scream: “Look out!”

Before Rarity turned her head completely towards where Fluttershy was gesturing to, both mares were blown away by yet another soundwave by Aria, sending them just next to the wounded Applejack, followed shortly by Pinkie and Rainbow as Sonata brought them together.

Both leaders continued to clash to the end. As their friends and minions fought on, both leaders have been at it deep. Twilight continued to throw fuel into the fire as she poked at Adagio and her life over the years, infuriating the Siren more and more until she was just randomly blowing destructive notes at the bespectacled unicorn who simply dodged with a dancer’s elegance and threw her own shots at the enraged Equestrian creature. Finally, the Rainboom managed a hit.

Taken aback by the hit, Adagio glared daggers at her enemy, gritting her teeth, finally having enough. With a roar, she charged at Twilight with all her angered might. Before she could tackle Twilight, the pony managed the leap and, rolling in midair, brought Dazzle down with a strong blast to the head, causing her to bounce off the ground a few times until she rested flat. Holding her head in hoof, Dazzle shook her sense straight to find Spruce standing before her with unfazed, burning hatred.

Despite their lack of history together, Twilight felt some common ground between her and Adagio. She knew that the Dazzlings were, like herself and Sunset, consumed by their pursuit of magic and power. The only difference was that the trio have been that way for so long that they’re probably pass the point of no return. The alchemist felt she knew what had to be done: take the Sirens into custody…or put them down…permanently. Still, as much as Twilight wanted to do the latter, she knew better than that. She thought back to how Sunset reached for her back at the Games and saved her from Midnight. So she followed her older friend’s example.

“What are you waiting for?” snarled Adagio, accepting her fate. “Seize your moment. Avenge all that I’ve done.”

“No.” Twilight simply replied. “You may think you deserve it, but it’s too easy. I’m giving you a choice, Adagio Dazzle: help us fight Grogar or face persecution.”

Adagio looked at Twilight with shock in her eyes. She couldn’t believe it. One of Sunset’s friends had her completely at her mercy and she was giving her a chance to be spared. She stared deep into her captor’s eyes, deep in consideration, a chance to turn everything around and escape Grogar’s abusive hoof; a chance for her and her sisters to start anew; a chance to… forgive Sunset Shimmer for what she did to her?!?! The why of her vengeance flashing before her, Adagio snarled in fury. Burning fire straight at Twilight, Adagio unleashed a destructive note that sent the alchemist flying and landing with the rest of the Rainbooms.

Regaining her footage, the lead Dazzling hovered over the recovering ponies, who gazed up to find themselves surrounded by the hypnotized monsters and her two sisters. It pleased her to see most of the Rainbooms feel exactly what she, Aria, and Sonata felt all those years ago: scared, humiliated, at the mercy of naysayers,…and broken. Her sisters soon joined her side, taking satisfaction in their accomplishment.

They did it. They finally, really did it. They’ve finally triumphed over the very humans responsible for their troubles in life. And they were ready to finish it all the way.

“Spread out, ladies,” instructed Adagio. “We’d like to view their deaths from different points, wouldn’t we?” And with that, Aria and Sonata flew over their captives, forming a triangle. Exchanging quick glances, the three villains returned to their soon-to-be dead enemies, charging their own voices for the final blow. “Anything to say?”

Twilight Spruce gazed up at the trio of Siren, knowing the inevitable for her and her friends. Turning back to her battered friends, she saw the severe fear and anger in their eyes, knowing their own. Rarity held her bleeding Applejack close, whose eyes were lidded, but enough to see what was to come, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, who had yet to pop the question, came close enough to cuddle close, and Pinkie Pie, ever wanting to do things together, extended her forelegs to engulf the mares in an accepting hug, grabbing Rarity and Rainbow’s hooves. The five mares soon connected minus Twilight, who slowly accepted her own fate. Once connecting with Applejack and Fluttershy’s hooves, all six mares braced themselves for the end.

“Friendship. Such worthless nonsense.” Adagio scoffed.

And with that, the Siren serenaded their sonic wrath.

Just as their attacks were about to strike, they suddenly missed the humans, moving down the halls.

WHAT NOW!?!” Adagio screamed, having just enough manure. The sonic wrath then formed around the wrists of Catrina, who stood down the hall, looking smugly at ruining the Sirens’ fun. Seeing the cat witch leaning against the wall, Adagio and Aria glared daggers at her for ruining their moment.

“Oh, don’t be that way, Siren,” Catrina simply snipped. Not waiting for anything, she flew a spell of sleep sand at the Humane Six, knocking them out before they could react. “Don’t want to disappoint our coming audience now, do we?”

“Enough!”

The monsters and Sirens quickly turned to find Grogar moving out of the hall’s shadows. “There is no killing them until we return from Everfree with my Bell. Catrina, restrain them to my throne room; Sirens, with me.” Getting no objections, all of his minions did his bidding as he moved back up, knowing just how close he is from completing his revenge, the Sirens coming to his side quickly and Catrina joining shortly with the Rainbooms in a violet magic-cancelling sphere. Grogar could make out the glares the four women made towards each other, yet he had no time for any bull since he is so close. Everything was falling exactly how he envisioned it.

My victory is nigh, the King thought with a sinister smirk and a door slam.

Scene Twenty-Seven: Dinner Date

Sunset suddenly woke up with a frightened gasp and a cold sweat. She had just experienced one of the worst nightmares she’s had in a long time.

She dreamt that she was chained to the ground in a dark room, the only light above her and Twilight standing far from her. She looked upon the princess and saw a distinct feature: disappointment. Sunset couldn’t help but think what her crush was thinking, until the words ‘Why did you fail me if you love me?’ echoed across the darkness. Her eyes shrinking into pinpricks, the older woman watched in horror as Twilight suddenly cracked. Finally, the cracks ended with a small flash to reveal the nightmarish she-demon: Midnight Sparkle. What Shimmer witnessed was hoping to be a dream because it was all too horrifying to believe.

In an instant, her light then swallowed the darkness, revealing her in a pit with many people she recognized from Canterlot High all chanting “She-Demon.” Sunset was frozen in fear. She was chained and at the mercy of her former classmates reminding her of her bad deeds as her friend’s own hovered above her. Before anything else, the light was soon blotted out by dark clouds. Her expression darkened even more as she saw Midnight malformed with a ram head and a bell around her neck. She’d wanted to voice her disbelief but couldn’t find her voice; she could only watch the roaring Grogar Sparkle charging at her as the chant continued on.

Practically breathing for oxygen, the fiery-haired teacher scoped her surroundings to find herself in a guest room. Last night soon flashed before her eyes, from Flores’ attack to Zecora leading her to the guest bedroom. Sleeping on the nightstand was Ray curled up, smiling at how peacefully cute he was then. She then turned to find her window mixed with red and purple, much to her surprise.

Oh man, she thought, did I really sleep through the day? Just then, she spotted something in the afternoon light: a mannequin holding a weaved, sleeveless dress in colors of red and gold to match her hair, the length stopping just above the shins, a sun hairpiece on top of a note and removable arm sleeves on the dresser. Walking up to it, Sunset took the note and read it in-head: When you wake, put the dress on and meet me in the courtyard. -Heart, Flurry. Looking back and forth at the note and dress, Sunset simply shrugged, smiling to humor her crush’s niece.

*

I’ll give Flurry credit; this dress is amazing!, Sunset complimented as she observed herself in the vanity, adjusting her headpiece. She was thoroughly impressed with what she thought was a dress of Flurry’s design. She had only seen a dress this nice in-

Oh, hello Sunset! It finally clicked in her head where the dress came from. Well, might as well humor her.

Grabbing her satchel from an armchair, Sunset made her way down the stairs to the courtyard, getting more flustered with seeing the steps and hallway candlelit. And it might have been in her head, but she’d sworn to hear classical music playing in the background. Her nostrils were assaulted by the sweet amora of food, causing her to salivate. She could really eat after sleeping the day. She couldn’t help but wonder the time and effort the young princess had put in organizing this whole thing. And with the help of the others. Either way, I might as well appreciate this since Flurry’s put in the-

Sunset’s thoughts were interrupted by impacting with another body in her path. Instinctively, she placed her hands apologetically, only for her senses to instantly deactivate as she saw her obstacle.

Before her stood Twilight…and wow, was she lovely. Matching her flustered face, Sunset ogled the princess wearing a similarly sleeveless, weaved dress with a glittering-star design of violets, pinks, and lavenders. Her dress length was simply over her knees, she worn no removable arm sleeves, and also wore a cutie mark hairpiece that, while holding some strands up, didn’t affect her lovely waterfall of pink and purple.

Twilight and Sunset just stared at each other, clearly amazed by each other, unable to form any words. Finally, their silence was broken with a cleared throat. They turned their gazes down to see doggy Spike with a bowtie and napkin over his arm.

“May I escort you ladies to your table?” he asked in a false French accent. A quick eye glance at each other later and the two women meekly shook “yes.”

They followed Spike down to the courtyard while replaying Spike’s request over their heads. Their table? As in singular? They’re sharing a table?! Sunset fully registered the reason behind Flurry’s work: she’s being dragged into a dinner date with Twilight, who silently calculated scenarios of what to expect, knowing she’s having dinner with the mare of her dreams.

Finally, the women entered the courtyard and gasped at what they saw.

Before them was the courtyard turned into a beautiful atmosphere that the sunset helped with. Hanging above them were strings of gemstones that shined dimly, not far from them was Discord conducting the music with his own orchestra, Tempest, Spike, and Starlight stood not far with an assortment of serving trays, and sunflowers and cherry blossoms led to their destination with Flurry there. Taking it in, the two women were in awe. Words alone couldn’t describe the sheer excellency of the setting and mood. How Flurry managed to convince the others to help was totally beyond them now. Their gazes finally shifted to the ground and they saw doggy Spike making for their table and quickly followed him, unaware of their locked hands.

Once arriving at their table, Flurry pulled a chair for her aunt. Twilight walked up to her, only to realize she was locked with Sunset’s hand. Catching her gaze, Sunset stared at each other wide-eyed for seconds until they finally unlocked, taking their given seats across each other.

“Welcome to the Sunlight Blossom, where your ever romantic need will be attended to,” Flurry stated as she levitated two leaf menus to her patrons. “Can I start you off with drinks as you look things over for a few?”

The two girls weren’t listening as they replayed the handholding over in their minds, blushing majorly at how close they were yet again. Finally, they registered Flurry’s question.

“Just water,” the pair spat. Taken aback briefly, Flurry composed herself with a nod before leaving.

Finally alone (alone enough to have a private talk with no eavesdroppers), Sunset and Twilight glanced around at their surroundings, looking anywhere but each other. There was nothing but very uncomfortable silence against them for a bit until Sunset broke it.

“I’m sorry for this, Twi. I gave Flurry my sketchbook and she found this cheesy romantic setting I once drew, and she and the others brought it to life to get us together.”

Sunset took in her explanation and cringed at how blunt it was. She was now waiting for the humiliating part of an embarrassed Twilight to come. However, Twilight just giggled. Sunset stared at her giggling crush with such amazement. She made Twilight-Princes Twilight giggle. For the older girl, it had been forever since hearing the younger one giggle with such adorableness at something so ridiculous. Sunset was touched at her feat. Hearing Twilight’s cute giggle was music to her ears.

“It’s okay, Sunset,” Twilight confessed. “I had a feeling that’d be it after I saw my dress.”

“They are lovely, aren’t they?”

“They’re beautiful. Almost as you.”

Twilight’s eyes shot wide as she blushed at her claim. Did I seriously say that? She looked at Sunset who was just as flustered as herself. The two women dared not to look at each other.

“I mean… uh-uh-” Twilight scrambled.

“It’s fine, Twilight.” Sunset quickly brushed off, but her cheeks differed. “I mean, what’s dinner between friends without a shared compliment?”

Twilight’s blushed darkened at that as she gestured towards her attire. “You think I’m beautiful in this as well?”

“Yes,” Sunset croaked out, nerves disabling her ability to speak clearly.

More uncomfortable silence…until Trixie returned with their water.

“Here you two go. Need more time or do you know your order?” serviced Trixie.

“More time please,” requested Twilight, sending Lulamoon away.

As Discord’s music continued, the catered guests remained silent. Both’ve been thinking of ways to keep the conversation from getting awkward. Coming clean with her visit back home would put great weight off Sunset. Daydreams of Sunset after her memory scrapbook had spiked Twilight’s feelings for the older mare, screaming at her to tell the truth. Equally and unexpectedly, both feared how the other would react if they told the other that they just wanted to confess their feelings. Fear that would soon be their enemy.

“Sunset Shimmer?” Twilight finally spoke, gaining the teacher’s attention. “Did you come back to Equestria for more than to celebrate the Day of Unity? Because you were acting kinda no better than I was when I heard of my brother’s wedding via invitation.”

Sunset simply stared at the question before stuttering and failing to begin a sentence. As she did so, she saw Twilight staring back at her with hopeful eyes, watching the first student of Celestia stuttering away. Thought it was rather cute, she couldn’t help but fear rejection.

Finally, Sunset groaned in frustration. She looked at the adorable princess’ eyes filled with vulnerable hope until she had an epiphany. Her fears suddenly washed away as she fully registered Twilight’s feelings. She finally knew that there was nothing to fear. A small, sincere smile crept her lower face and Twilight, seeing Shimmer’s expression change, beamed dimly.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Sunset formalized, her hand covering Twilight’s own lavender hand, “You know there’s so much I do for my homes and my friends, even confessing the truth, such as now. I came to Equestria not just for the party, but also for-for-forfor you.”

Upon hearing it, Twilight’s eyes widened.

“I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable throughout this ride. It’s just…we haven’t talked in years and I thought you’d forgotten me. I was scared that I wasn’t worth a care anymore since I’ve gotten a handle on the magic here.” Sunset winced afterwards, her heart practically melting with her own words, as she feared for the inevitable rejection.

Hearing such music teared Twilight’s eyes as she responded with: “I, too, was scared. I’ve been busy with my rule that I’ve thought you’ve forgotten me too and moved on when I don’t want to move on from… from you.” Upon hearing it, Sunset herself was tearing from Twilight’s own music with a warm smile.

Such words left the women so warm inside. Before they even knew it, their hands locked around each other again, paying no mind. They simply stared into each other long and hard. Both of them felt so assured with the weight of the world off them, floating within their eyes finally finding peace.

Around them, the world darkened, signifying the coming of night. Hearing a clink above head, the women turned up to find a crudely made Crystal Heart that radiated in colors of pink and yellow. Its light didn’t break their eye contact.

Away from them, Flurry, Trixie, the Spikes, and Starlight just stared at the arranged dinner waiting for the big moment.

Come on, you two,” urged Flurry impatiently but quietly, “tell each other to be your very special somepony!

“Give it time,” Equestrian Spike told. “All good relationships are based on time and progress, including me and Gabby.”

“That’s ‘cause you two weren’t waiting years to say ‘I love you!’”

“Given time and communication, all relationships will pass the confession,” Scorpan suddenly said behind the group. They turned to find their rescuers in the shadows watching.

“It took me and Scorpan four years,” his wife stated, “to confess our love and be sweet dears.”

“Guys!” hushed Trixie as she gestured to the table. Flurry made sure to keep her surprised gasp as quiet as possible.

From afar, Sunset and Twilight’s faces were but mere inches away from contact as everyone watched in anticipation and excitement. Scorpan and Zecora looked on with intense attention, Discord watched in calm anticipation, and everybody else waited in over-the-top glee with saucer-wide eyes and gaping mouths. Sunlight then inched forward until finally, they were an inch away from a kiss. They were just lost in their eyes, every puff of breath driving their lust forward, waiting for a trigger.

“Twilight?” Sunset Shimmer asked.

“Yes?” Twilight Sparkle replied.

Right then, the gleeful onlookers’ faces were the biggest they could possibly get.

Sunset looked deep into Twilight, whose eyes were shimmering in the chandelier’s aura, completely at peace. Nothing else but the princess in the darken and starry background mattered, not even the threat of Grogar breaking her gaze. All of her troubles faded away instantly, her smile growing with the knowledge of the Princess of Friendship possibly returning her love. She could imagine the two of them sharing a happy future together. All needed to officiate it were three simple words. Sunset gaped to say so.

Unfortunately, something caught in her vision, causing them to break the silence.

Seeing it, Twilight broke out of her dreamlike gaze to follow Sunset’s gaze.

Within the woods a light shone dimly. It glowed in a mix of black, gold, and white. Getting up of their seats, Sunset and Twilight walked towards the light, causing their onlookers to bemoan the missed opportunity, especially Flurry. They only stopped within two feet of entering the woods. Sunlight exchanged looks of feared curiosity; they clearly were fearful of what was to be found beyond the woods. But they took comfort in knowing that they’ll have each other hand-in-hand. Firmly holding Twilight’s hand, Sunset took a step forward…

… before the light shone again, only more brilliant and, exceptionally, heading for them!!

Sunset tackled Twilight to the ground just as the light blasted its way through the trees and shrubbery before striking the hut. Everyone else shielded their eyes as the beam left a massive hole and damage onto their home before it subsided. Soon recovering, all present observed the damage. Scorpan and Zecora looked on with shock of their home damaged, the Fellowship observed with horror, and Sunset and Twilight just looked with a mix of relief and shock. Who could’ve done it?

All ears shot up in horror as the air soon filled with the monstrous laugh of an unmistakable tyrant. Marching on the charred path, they found the humanoid Father of Monsters himself with his replacement Bell, accompanied by his equally humanoid Siren harmonizers.

A rustling of leaves directed Discord’s attention to his right to find Erebus the cloud demon emerging from the wind, bringing a trail of leaves and sticks with him and laughing manically, the trio of Raptorians and Queen Bumble following shortly behind. Lavan soon made another erupting entrance from the ground with the humanized Catrina appearing merely in a blink. The heroes found themselves surrounded by Grogar and his Elite.

“So the Great Scorpan still lives after all,” Grogar mocked. “I was certain he’d be seeing his brother by now.”

“Mocked the ram thought dead,” quipped Discord. Everyone else turned to the draconequus with exasperated eyes, clearly in joking mood. He shrugged defensively. “What, no tension breakers?”

“We know why you’re here, Grogar,” spoke up Sunset as she heard Grogar unsheathe his sword, clearly expecting a fight.

“Hardly difficult to understand,” is all said ram answered with.” And you can deliver me the bell or fight me. Either way, I walk victorious.

As if that’s a surprise.

The band of heroes looked around themselves, knowing the inevitable struggle. Grogar clearly wasn’t going to lag this time; he came with solely his best and they were going to deliver, viciously charged. From the skies to the ground his servants had them surrounded. If Grogar were to rip through them for the real bell, his power’d be unmatched, and he’d rule all his eyes gazed upon. Knowing the risks and consequences, they immediately ponied-up against Equestria’s ultimate evil…

… who simply laughed at the “futility.” Raising his hand, he signaled his followers to await his word.

“Zecora, the Bell,” Scorpan ordered, knowing his wife would secure it, hearing her feet echoing away from him.

Everybody else stood steadfast for the coming storm, the Fellowship fighting to protect the Bell, with the monsters seeking to claim it. Breaking the silence were the rustling of leaves and the tree sizzling.

Grogar clenched his fist, lighting the fuse. The Fellowship followed suit.

What started as an arranged date turned into a full-blown brawn for the prized Bell.

*

While the battle raged outside, Zecora quickly made for the relic room, hoping to secure the Bell. But before she did so, she checked for Pyro and Ray, fearing for their safety in the wreckage, her satchel wrapped on her. Once inside the kitchen, she found her pet fire lizard just under a towel-leaf, before finding Ray safe in the guestroom for Miss Shimmer. With the reptiles safe with her, she then made for the relics. Making it inside, the Bell came into her view the instant she opened the door. Rushing to it, the remedy brewer removed it from its podium with no problem, except for…

“I thank you, fool,” complimented the witch cat herself as she manifested from behind Zecora. “I went for it only to receive a shock. I figured you’d receive none.”

“If this catastrophe device you wish,” dared Zecora, “then through me, you’ll have to hiss.”

Not needing convincing, the witch cat just pounced for her master’s power, only for Zecora to evade her and cause her crash into the pedestal. Regaining her footing, she conjured a whip from her paw before cracking it around the Bell. What started in a tug-of-war ended when the doctor sprayed a cyro bottle onto the whip, freezing it instantly and regaining hold of the trophy. Not wasting time, Catrina quickly knocked her enemy down with a blast of magic, sending the Bell flying into the air before levitating it to her.

The sudden burn on her tail caused Catrina to drop her spell and look down to find Pyro and Ray singeing and biting her tail. Hissing in frustration, she stomped her foot on the faster fire lizard as he continued spitting fire. Her efforts were interrupted when she felt a metal impact to her head, sending her down. Zecora held the Bell in one hand and extended the other for the reptiles. She then quickly ran for the door, with the angered cat following soon after.

*

Starlight delivered a powerful magic burst onto Erebus, sending him apart in breezes, only for him to recollect himself instantly.

“You cannot break the wind,” declared the cloud demon as he slammed the Headmare downward, who quickly recovered to blast another beam of magic onto the demon. The blast pasted through him as he came towards her. Before she was hit, however, Starlight charged and fired an ice spell that froze the demon solid and sent him crashing right down right onto Queen Bumble, saving her best friend.

“True, but I could always freeze it,” quipped Starlight as she descended to ground level, fist-bumping Trixie. Both woman returned to the battle when they saw the humongous bee stir back to consciousness and roared at them. Dodging her initial attack, the two tag-teamed her, stunning the bee and throwing her off balance.

Elsewhere, the Spikes had just grounded the Raptorians when they saw Tempest and Lavan duking. Rushing to her, they saw Lavan upchucking more magical lava towards them. Acting quick, Equestrian Spike countered with fire breath towards the beast, who just sucked it in. Before anything else, he began throwing pieces of himself at them, forcing uncanny acrobatics from the trio.

“Anything in that pack of yours that’ll help?” demanded Tempest from the canine advisor, whose face instantly lit up.

“Holy Spike Had It Twilight, I do!” he proclaimed. Opening up his pack, a pair of hoses departed and pointed at the hulking lava. As he charged the dog, the hoses sprayed magically infused liquid nitrogen at the lava-man, freezing him instantly. Now before them stood him frozen where he stood.

“Dude, nice work,” complimented the Advisor as both counterparts high-fived.

Intense thunder and lightning erupted and sparked between the Chaos God, Tirek’s Traitor, and the King of Monsters. While Discord rallied more on his magic, he had some expertise in sword-fighting in his lifetime, despite using a simple balloon sword against his father; Scorpan trained himself to the fullest in the art of swordsmanship, going far enough to forge his own; and Grogar wasted his time in the human world well by learning studying hand-to-hand combat as well with the use of a weapon. And he’s used those lessons well as he continually beat his duel opponents without effort.

Soon, it was just the King and the draconequus. Both beings held their own greatly before entering a standstill.

“Is it true,” hissed the Father, “that you gave up eternal life for a Pegasus after humiliating my name?”

“Why not?” countered the smug Discord. “Immortality is a curse, unlike you, campfire story.”

I am the personification of fear itself and you are now but a disgrace to my name!” In his rage, Grogar finally popped his son’s blade before delivering a series of bone-crushing blows and slashes upon the latter and sending him flying to the ground. Once Discord crashed into the ground, his father then placed his boot on the Chaos God’s throat, raising his sword high in the sky with a proclamation: “You don’t deserve a seat at the god’s table; Scorpan and I do!” He brought his blade done to smite the chaos…

… only to be stopped by the recovered Scorpan’s blade. Both warriors faced each other with daggers for eyes.

“I am an aging guardian now,” confessed the Bell’s guardian, “and you are but a willful prisoner of pride.”

And proud.

Breaking the lock, both Equestrian warriors began to clash, striking thunder into the air.

The six-way blowout between the Sirens and the Princesses raged on within the woods. Dusk was proving herself an equal match against Heart’s advanced studied spells, Blaze and Sparkle clashed out with advantage switching continuously, and Dazzle and Shimmer traded destructive blows with one another, their hate amplified tenfold from recent events. Neither sides gained an advantage.

“What’re you thinking, Adagio?!” demanded Shimmer, blocking another attack. “Anyone would have a death wish to team with Grogar!” She then unleashed a duel beam of magic towards her opponent, who merely countered with a defensive soundwave.

“The why doesn’t matter,” hissed Dazzle, “you begging for death does!”

Fists clenched in magic, she then flew straight for her troubles’ root. However, the latter managed to catch her fists in midair, sending the Siren back to solid footing. Both women were now fist-locked, eyes burning red at each other, teeth close to sharpening.

For destroying her pendant, Adagio was building her rage up for that. Everything Adagio dreamt of was just within her grasp; she’d waited long to make Sunset suffer unimaginably. For years she’s dreamt of that and wasn’t going to let it slip. Sunset, meanwhile, was angered for different reasons: threatening her friends and her crush with Twilight. She was gonna make Adagio regret messing with her emotions. Everything she loved was threatened by Grogar and the Sirens, and she was going to defend them wholeheartedly.

“Is my blood really that important?!” demanded the fiery-haired alien.

“Considering how you’d helped destroyed my pendant, yes.” the Siren nonchalantly acknowledged before delivering a headbutt to the teacher.

Shaking it off quickly, Shimmer blocked a devastating pow-down from the Siren, cratering the ground. Both women erupted into a magically infused fistfight, delivering crushing blow after another to each other. Still, neither gained no edge.

Unlike them, the Sparkle relatives teamed and were prevailing against the other two Sirens. Switching their dance partners, they gained a better chance. While uneven in magical strength, Heart made up by teleporting whenever Blaze harmonized against her, much to the Siren’s frustration. Dusk fared no better against the experienced Sparkle, whose spells countered everything else the taco lover threw and easily beating her. Soon, the aunt and niece used their opponents against each other. Flurry again teleported out of Aria’s blast, letting her sister take the full blast instead. Before she could react, Twilight popped behind Aria and sent her flying not far behind. Seeing their success, the alicorns high-fived.

Grogar was flabbergasted as he recovered from a kick from his ancient rival. He was older than Scorpan yet was losing against the Traitor. In all of his experience, any equal opponent would last not five minutes before caving from exhaustion or defeat. Yet, the gargoyle was an amazing exception, no matter how much he hated it. His thoughts were interrupted by the crashing of Sonata and Aria close by. He turned to the crater.

“Ugh, I can’t take this anymore!” the purple-coated Siren screamed. “When are your secret weapons coming!?” Her master simply gave a countdown in 5… 4… 3… 2…

On cue, the skies lit up in such succession, ceasing the fight.

All of Everfree was alit as all eyes fell upon it. The Fellowship as a whole were left wondering what the light. Was it hope? Another monster? Regardless, it was descending for them. The legion of villains were thinking the same, except for their leader, who simply looked at Scorpan with sinister anticipation. Seeing it left the guardian unsettled and ready. The arranged Sunlight, seeing pass the brilliance, managed a good look at the source,…and what they found was horrifying.

Once it landed, the light dissolved to reveal a pair of winged humanized figures of nightmarish proportions. Before all observers were Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon themselves!! Their teeth were bared, their sun-orange and midnight-blue armor encompassed their power, their blazing and flowing hair stood on end, and their horns shimmered in the darkest brilliance as they chuckled in wicked glee.

Sunset and Twilight looked upon with fear of seeing the Two Sisters terraformed into their own demons. Grogar gazed upon his latest creations with satisfaction, knowing that the fight is his now.

The ram commanded: “Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker, crush them all!!!

With pleasure,” complied the terraformed sisters.

Reigniting the fight, Nightmare tackled Tempest into the woods while Daybreaker tossed destructive magic spheres upon the rest, sending them flying.

Tempest had no time to regain her footing as Nightmare Moon soon sent magical blast by blast at her, forcing the Captain into aerobatic defense before finding cover behind some trees. But the demonic princess didn’t relent in her assault, as she blasted through the trees, sending splinters flying and cackling madly. When the smoke cleared, Moon however found no body, only to be assaulted by a concentrated blast from the branches behind. Turning around, she swiftly fired upon the branches, only to be shot again from behind, repeating her actions again and again until the leaves were but smoldering away.

Enough became enough for the rageful princess, as she scattered a clutter of stardust into the air, illuminating the area and revealing Tempest’s location. Nightmare then swiftly shot at the captain’s branch and sent her crashing into the ground. Finally having one pesky unicorn down, she conjured up a stardust sword and raised high over her, prepared to deliver the killing blow, only to be stopped by the sudden arrival of Starlight conjuring a protective barrier around her and Shadow, blocking off the sword.

“Luna, wait,” pleaded the Headmare, “I know you’re fighting yourself within. Don’t let Grogar control you!”

There is no Luna, only Nightmare Moon!!” roared the Mare of the Moon as she delivered a crushing strike down onto the barrier, shattering it. The force of the attack impacted Starlight’s head, knocking her out and leaving the Crystal Captain to fend for herself.

She quickly sent surges of energy onto the corrupted princess, who shielded herself with her wings before using one to swat her aside. As Shadow struggled back up, she looked behind her to find Moon charging at her and delivered a two-leg kick onto the princess’ stomach, sending her back. Now Tempest was charging for her enemy, who unleashed a stream of stardust around to restrain the hardened pony. Standing on even footing with her, Moon then grinned at her success, only for smoke bombs to ruin her victory. She turned to find Trixie and Starlight rushing and throwing magic and special effects.

Seeing the insolence, Moon fired upon the pair, which Glimmer blocked with a conjured shield that returned the magic to sender and singed her wing. She then felt a shock onto her back and looked to see Tempest with her fingers stretched from her attempt.

Then she had enough, grabbing the captain by her uniform collar and tossing her right into Lulamoon before charging right into the Headmare and delivering a devastating blast that shattered her protection again. She then delivered furious blow after another onto Starlight, forcing her enemy to conjure more ineffective shields. Unable to keep up, Starlight’s throat was clenched tight with the Mare’s hands around it, throttling her life out before entrapping her in restraining stardust and tossing her aside. She then turned to the rising Trixie.

“It’s now us two, magician,” Nightmare declared before striking another blast.

Daybreaker, meanwhile, made mincemeat out of Spike, Discord, and Flurry in the sky.

No amount of chaos magic could confuse her for long as she effortlessly brushed off Discord’s attacks and knocked him out of the fight and Spike managed to last long against her before finally losing. There then remained herself and Flurry Heart. And what a match.

Both alicorn humanoids were both very powerful, the demonized Celestia more experienced than Flurry who had nearly two decades of study and holding her own.

Daybreaker went first by delivering a rapid barrage of fireballs that Flurry defended herself against with a self-barrier dissipating them before delivering a strike of her own, briefly stunning the princess. Regaining her composure, the fiery demon conjured a pair of fiery whips with which she entangled the young enemy to bring them up close to deliver a brutal punch to the young alicorn, sending her into the clouds. With glee on her face, she raced up to continue with the “amateur alicorn.”

Making it up into the clouds, Day surveyed her fluffy surroundings for Heart, but much to her disappointment, found nothing. And before she processed any further, she was struck by a magical blast from behind. She turned around to see her adoptive niece’s daughter hovering in fierce confidence.

“Child,” Day hissed, “you are not sane for doing that.” She then swung slashes of fire to the crystal ruler who barely dodged them before shifting to fireballs. Flurry countered with her own magic blasts. Both alicorns traded blows before their magic blasts beamed into a stalemate, both pushing forward to one-up the other in the stalemate. Daybreaker proved herself to be the more willful as she pushed through Heart’s blast, which eventually broke her focus and her barrier, sending her aback. Before the cackling demon could further the princess’ pain, her wings and legs were suddenly suspended together in chains, sending her flying down below.

SNAP! appeared Discord next to the crystal ruler in a hula skirt and tooth necklace around his neck holding a large fishhook. “You are welcome.” he stated cockily.

Unfortunately, his magic proved again ineffective against Daybreaker as she soared up towards them, her chains melted off, and renewed her fiery assault. Evasive action the pair took, hoping to divide Breaker’s attention. Luckily, Spike provided just that as he spat fire from behind her and got her full attention.

Now it was fire against fire as both Equestrians lit the sky up with their green and orange flames. Spike proved more agile as he dodged her attacks while spitting his own, while Daybreaker dominated as the more destructive of the two fighters. Tangoing with the dragon, however, gave the draconequus and alicorn the time to entrap the she-demon into a barrier mix of crystal and chaos magic, which nullified her fire. Now she was entrapped in the sky, humiliated by an advisor, ex-con, and a young princess, all catching their breaths.

“Whew, Celestia is still something.” Discord quipped as he regained his breath.

But just then, the demonized Celestia glowed brilliantly and unleashed a roaring flame that shattered her cage and sent the trio flying backwards before renewing her fiery assault onto them.

Back in the woods, the Sirens and Grogar battled Scorpan and Sunlight.

Blaze and Dusk harmonized destruction onto the forest, leeching out the remaining two girls responsible for their troubles, the latter striking and dashing away in between trees, while Dazzle rained from above. Their one-on-one far from done, the lead Siren and teacher were clearly the fiercest on both sides as they battled with all of their fury and might. The former sang destructive note as the latter fisted magical blasts, wanting to one-up the other.

Sparkle, on the other hand, countered against the lesser Sirens with the throwing of stones and branches, the pair harmonizing the debris to dust. Then, as Aria delivered more disharmony upon the persistent alicorn, Sonata snuck behind and delivered a devasting blast to Equestria’s ruler.

Meanwhile, the relics continued to clash out. Now with his pair of demonized princesses, Grogar was fighting more offensive, leaving Scorpan less time to defend himself. Finally, the King locked swords with the guardian before delivering a strike across the face, sending the gargoyle down on the ground. He then stood above his enemy as he raised his blade.

“I must thank you, relic,” mocked the King of Monsters, “for keeping my Bell secured. Saves me the leg work, even if I sent my children to retrieve my victory.”

He then brought his sword… down? Struggling to do so, he looked to find it encased in pink magic, clearly done on behalf of the princess herself, who, too, was struggling against it.

“You won’t win ever!” grunted Twilight. “Because you lack the greatest victory of all: friendship. You see others as tools, while we see it as a strength and-”

An annoyed Grogar groaned. “Here comes the ‘friendship is magic’ nonsense!” With all of his might, he forced his sword down onto Scorpan, who quickly moved to the side from its path as it came down. The guardian sought to rise up, only for the King to drop his foot upon his throat. Before Twilight could react, she was quickly engulfed in the ancient enemy’s magic and levitated straight into his tightening grip around her throat. Right then, the Sirens appeared before their master with Sunset in magical restraints beaten down and thrown to his feet. Seeing each other at the villains’ mercy, all began to struggle free as Grogar aired his grievances.

“Clearly, you’re both no different than the Two Sisters, the ponies I’ve massacred, or my own kind. Believing peace among ponies possible, as I scoffed at such a falsity and devoted my life into my own magic and began my conquest with my own kin.

Everyone’s eyes, pony, gargoyle, and Siren alike, shot open. They all looked upon the ram in horror as he inhaled all of their seeping fear. Of all his deeds they’ve heard of, that was the darkest of them all. How could a villain have so cruelly wipe out his own people? Sunset and Twilight’d both hoped Grogar to have some glimmers of redemption until then. Now the pair saw him as the perfect monster he was meant.

A swooshing interrupted the horrified thoughts, and all looked to find Catrina stepping through with Zecora, all bruised and bloodied, in one hand and the object of Grogar’s quest in the other. Twilight and Sunset watched mortified to see the King and his prime power just inches apart, the Sirens watched with silent glee as their work was soon to pay off, Scorpan observed in anxiety at the coming doom and his wife’s condition, and Grogar flashed his biggest devilish grin ever as his Bell inched forward to him. As it happened, Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon descended with their own enemies defeated and at their feet. Following them were the recovered Lavan, Bumble, Erebus, and the Raptorians gathering around their master’s moment of triumph.

“O mighty Grogar,” the witch cat idolized, dropping her “unworthy” foe onto the ground nonchalantly and kneeling before her master, presenting the Bell in both paws. “I stand before you with a gift of-”

Not giving her a chance to finish and waiting enough, he simply levitated his true power out of her grip and into his own before tossing the gasping princess aside in front of her crush and removing his foot from Scorpan’s gasping throat, who crawled to his love.

“Twilight!” panicked Sunset as she struggled in her binds towards Twilight. A few seconds passed before the princess glanced up at Sunset with a weak smile, slightly easing the captive Equestria Girl before they glanced towards the unfolding horror.

“Finally,” the First Scourge declared, “millenniums of separation and now I have you, old friend.” And with that, he slowly rose his real Bell next to his crude replica on his harness-

CHOMP!

He roared in pained anger as he registered the pain to his leg. He looked down to see doggy Spike biting into the back of his leg growling in protest. Wasting no time, the Ram of Nightmares lifted the canine in magic and brought at face level.

“Meddlesome pest!!” he roared as he threw Spike across straight to Starlight who managed to recover him in magic and into her arms. They then glared anger towards the monster himself. Looking down onto his Bell, he saw Scorpan crawling for it, only for Catrina to instantly stop him in magical bonds.

Wasting time no more, he simply lifted the real Bell straight onto his harness before securing it. Once doing so, he felt the magic within him seethe its way into the real thing, charging it up with magic unfamiliar to it for millenniums. Everyone looked in fear or elation at the sight. The seething slowed as Grogar grinned sinisterly at the reunion with his power.

NO!” Princess Twilight screamed as she got back up and made for the King, not knowing the inevitable fate soon approaching.

Unfazed and smiling with malice, Grogar lifted his Bell towards the ruler. One clang later and it unleashed its dark magic for the first time in over a decade. Coming straight for Twilight was a dark violet magic that encased around her.

TWILIGHT!!!” Sunset, Spike, Flurry, and Starlight all screamed in horror.

Twilight could feel the pain coursing through her entire body. It was unbearable fire reaching into her everywhere, burning her entirety within and causing her screams to reach new heights of volume. There was the tearing of clothing as she felt her alicorn wings suddenly grew bigger and felt sharper, her arm and legs became engulfed in some burning leather and felt a piercing pain protruding from her forehead, exceeding her standing-on-end hair. As it happened, her screams turned into sadistic chuckles the longer it continued.

At last, the surge was done and over with, and Twilight Sparkle was no more. None other than the familiar fright of the demonized human of a nightmarish gown, leggings, and gloves, raven-like wings, and the bright blue horn that matched her blazing eyes remained.

There was now… Midnight Sparkle.

“Twilight?” Sunset quivered under her shaken breath, horrified at the sight of her recent nightmare coming true.

No more,” denounced the nightmarish form of the pony princess. She reached out and clenched her fist in her magic, lifting the restrained teacher from her place and right to her face. “And while I’d like to kill you now, Father wants you to suffer.” Before anyone could do anything, Midnight pushed her hand forward and sent the rogue unicorn to make fierce contact with a tree, knocking her out cold as a trail of blood followed her down.

SUNSET!!” Flurry Heart cried out.

Excellent work, Midnight Sparkle,” Grogar congratulated his latest soldier before turning to everyone else with wicked pleasure. “Now this is my conquest’s real beginning. Once I use these bells to finish off Equestria-”

“I?” questioned Adagio as she walked towards him. “You said you, us, your monsters, and your new she-demons’d all rule Equestria together, didn’t you?” Much to her surprise, he gave off a halfhearted whimsical laugh as he levitated himself over ground above all else, his new warriors ascending alongside him.

When taking over the world, Miss Dazzle,” he simply cackled, “never share the power.”

Before Adagio could question further, the King of Monsters activated his Bell for the first time in millenniums. Turning it up towards the sky, a beam unleashed its greatest power high into the air. A huge vortex soon swirled over the forest before unleashing multiple beams upon most of the occupants below.

The Fellowship all screamed as they felt their humanized magic slowly and painfully extracted from them, the Sirens did so as they looked upon their master with betrayed eyes, and Grogar’s Elite spasmed in agony as they felt more than their magic slip from them. All the while, the demonized princesses watched in silent pleasure as their master reveled in all of the magic being sucked into his returned relic. Finally, the agony ebbed.

The Ram of Nightmares looked down upon the insects and grinned as they looked around helpless and pained. Everyone at his feet were now at his mercy and posed no threat at all to him. His gaze stopped at a pile of crumbled coal, which he assumed was Lavan. Thinking back, he’d quickly surmised it to be draining the lava monster dried of magic. He then turned to find a puff of fading cloud, descending feathers, a sizzling crown, and a discarded robe. Seeing these, he realized: his magic killed off his Elite! They were born from a mix of his and the Sirens’ magic and draining both factions of their magic was simply signing their obituaries. Meh, I was gonna do it regardless, he simply shrugged. He then turned to his remaining warriors.

“Our ordeal here is over for the moment, ladies,” he assured the trio. “Equestria comes first, then this world, and all others beyond. Let us go and leave these ants.” Just then, a bright crack of light entered his peripheral vision. He turned to see his entry into the human world, a cracked-open rock, shining on, waiting for him. The four then made their way home.

“But-” a weak voice called. The ram turned to see Adagio weakly and pathetically crawling her way towards her former master. “You’d promised us magic to make everyone who ever wronged us pay. You’d promised.”

“That I did,” Grogar acknowledged, “but you have all disappointed me, being made fools by mere ponies. Regardless, I was going to dispose of you all from the get-go. Goodbye, ants.”

And with that, the frightful four slithered their way into the shimmering stone and back home, leaving the Fellowship and Sirens to rot in their misery, Adagio the most broken. How could have it all happened to her? How was it possible? Everything she had but for a short time, and then had nothing again. She and her sisters have been reduced so low yet again.

“You could have seen it coming, did you not?” Scorpan asked the downtrodden Siren, who simply looked on in horror and misery. She looked over her shoulders to see everyone gazing upon her and her sisters, who shared her pain at their great mistake.

I d-d-didn’t,” stuttered the lead Siren, tears welling up, “I really didn’t.”

They had failed. Everyone had failed so miserably. The Fellowship failed to keep the Bewitching Bell away from Grogar. The Sirens failed to achieve their own revenge against Sunset Shimmer. But Sunset, as she regained consciousness to observe the aftermath, herself felt that she had failed the most. She had failed everyone in the human world and Equestria alike, she had failed her friends and allies, and worst of all, she had failed Princess Twilight Sparkle.

Everyone was now powerless against Emperor Grogar.

What have I done?” Sunset cursed herself as she looked on.