• Published 30th Dec 2020
  • 450 Views, 33 Comments

Selena and the Scar - Mike728



A young filly will learn that she will have to confront the past to save the ones she loves.

  • ...
 33
 450

Prologue: The Beginning

When one hears the words ‘destiny’ and ‘fate’, they would think of different things for what the words could mean. Many think that destiny is something that is inevitable and something that can’t be avoided or changed and that one must follow that path no matter what, whereas fate is something that can be changed and a path that one can choose for themselves.

If many believe that to be the case, that is completely false. You see, fate and destiny are both the same thing and due to this, they are something that can’t be avoided, but they are something that can be prevented or changed. If one was evil but decided to change their ways, they can but it would prove to be difficult because others will always believe them to be evil and that being evil is what that individual will be fated and destined to be forever. Them becoming evil could have been prevented if certain actions were taken or something that could have been avoided.

Many believe that once something has been chosen for you, you must follow it and become something that others believe you have to be. However, was there ever a story where one tried to escape their fate and destiny for something that they believed would be the greater good? If not, you are about to experience that firsthand for this is the story of a filly who would grow up to be something great, a little filly whose actions and acts of bravery will change the kingdom and the entire land of Equestria for all eternity…



*APRIL 30TH 2014: PONYVILLE*

It was the dawn of a brand new day in the mid–sized town of Ponyville, a town that is bordered by a large forest known as the Everfree Forest and a large mountain where a large city was built on its side known as Canterlot, where it held a royal castle, thus making it the capital of Equestria.

In the center of Ponyville was a large stone castle that has now been left abandoned called the ‘Castle of the Nightmare’ where 8 months ago, Nightmare Moon took over Equestria and brought forth the castle from the depths of the Earth. She declared the small town ‘the true and beating heart of Equestria’ as a ‘gift’ to all of Ponyville to show that she had not forgotten the kindness they had shown her when she was ‘but a scared little filly’ and calling it a ‘great honor no other town or city in Equestria will share’.

For those who resided in the town, the residence of the town consisted of 3 different pony kinds: Earth, Unicorn and Pegasi. Ponyville is described by many as a town that is mainly peaceful and safe where a lot of the ponies knew each other and many of the ponies were friends to one another. The perfect nickname for Ponyville would be ‘The Town of Friendship’, since it would be the perfect place for anypony to find a friend.

Now, the morning of April 30th should have been like any other morning in Ponyville; just your typical uneventful morning. However, that wasn’t going to be the case for something happened on this particular morning.

This was the day where everything would change…



In the early morning of April 30th, two large ponies were walking down the empty streets of Ponyville and one of them held something in their magic. These were not ordinary ponies; they were the Royal Celestial Sisters known as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, who happen to be the rulers of Equestria. Celestia and Luna are not just known to be the Princesses; they are also known for raising and lowering the Sun and the Moon; something that many have witnessed called it ‘breathtaking’ or ‘awe–inspiring’. The Royal Sisters were something what ponies called ‘alicorns’, a pony that possessed both a horn and a pair of wings and many saw alicorns as a sign of royalty, nothing more.

So many thoughts ran through Celestia’s mind as she and her younger sister were heading towards their destination, a frown and an expression of utter betrayal plastered on her face. What happened was that one of her most highly respected members of her Royal Guard was torturing and even experimenting on a poor foal, who was wrapped up in a light blue blanket that Celestia held in her magic. For six whole months, he did terrible things to the poor foal and it was happening from right under their noses.

Luna also had the expression of betrayal on her face as she knew this pony. The pony, who happened to be a unicorn stallion, went by the name of… Malice Lamar. Although nopony knew little to absolutely nothing about Malice’s past, he was recruited into the Royal Guard and went up through the ranks and became well respected by the members of the Castle.

Despite the fact that Malice was well respected, his tactics of dealing with those who had wronged the land of Equestria, especially when caught, were what really made others dislike him. The only thing that will be mentioned is his ways of interrogation. Malice’s ways of interrogating are what many called ‘brutal’ and even downright ‘abominable’ and it sent shivers down everypony’s spines whenever they all would think about it, including the Princesses. Some even went as far as calling him a ‘psycho’.

There was a long silence before Luna finally spoke, turning her head to face Celestia.

“I never thought Malice would be capable of something like this,” Luna said with clear hints of betrayal and anger in her tone. Celestia turned her head to face Luna as the two continued walking.

“Never did I, Luna,” Celestia said with the same hint of betrayal and anger in her tone. “A member of my Royal Guard, it’s sickening. I had a feeling that something wasn’t right, but I never imagined it would be like this.”

In truth, they did suspect that something wasn’t right when Malice had started acting strange one day; nervousness, wanting to go someplace and generally giving that vibe that he was hiding something, but they weren’t able to prove it. It wasn’t until a Royal Guard, who was also a Unicorn, caught Malice teleporting somewhere with strange devices the guard didn’t recognize. Curious, he teleported after him and found himself somewhere within some old castle that he didn’t recognize, however he did recognize the room he was in to be some kind of throne room.

Suddenly, a loud pain-filled scream echoed throughout the throne room, causing the guard to nearly jump out of his fur. After the echoing effects of the scream faded, the guard slowly recovered from his shock. When the scream happened again, the guard didn’t flinch and instead, he was able to pinpoint where it came from; behind a large red door with a round top, one that seemed to be way too intact. He walked up to it and opened the door, just enough for him to peek inside. His eyes widened in shock and disbelief when he witnessed Malice beating a foal that looked to be around 6 months old, one he didn’t recognize. The guard cringed every time the young foal would let out a loud scream of pure and utter agony as the foal was being restrained in the air by Malice’s magic.

When the guard could take no more, he immediately teleported back to the Castle and ran into the Throne Room where he informed Celestia and Luna about it.

Upon being informed, Celestia and Luna, along with members of the Guard went to the old castle and attempted to apprehend him, which had become difficult as he fought back with everything he got. During the struggle, he tried blasting a guard with a death–inducement spell but luckily, the guard leapt out of the way, but it came with a cost. The blast struck the foal in the forehead above the right eye and it fell to the ground. This caused Malice to freeze up in shock before he got tackled by numerous guards who took the opportunity when it showed and was ordered to be locked in the dungeons in the meantime.

After the Royal Guard took Malice away, Celestia and Luna investigated the foal, which turned out to be a mare, and they had found a few things that shocked them; the foal had dark gray fur, possessed both a horn and a pair of wings and had a rich blue mane and tail. But the most shocking of them all were the scars that the poor foal had; a vertical one that went from her chest to her stomach, one on her right hindleg and left foreleg, one that was in the shape of an ‘X’ on the right side of her flank and a horizontal one on her back.

Eventually, Luna asked Celestia what they were going to do with the foal. Celestia told her that they were going to be taking the foal to Ponyville, but where in Ponyville she didn’t say. Using her magic, a light blue blanket appeared in front of her. She wrapped the foal in the blanket slowly and carefully as to not wake her up. After wrapping the foal in the blanket, she told Luna that it was time to head to Ponyville, which led to where they are now.

Celestia turned her head away from Luna and saw their destination up ahead; a stocky hollowed–out tree with numerous amounts of windows, a beehive hanging from one of the tree branches, a candlestick sign on the front door, which was red, a sign of an open book outside the door, and two balconies, one of which had a telescope. This tree was the Golden Oaks Library, the home of her faithful student and the Bearer of the Element of Magic, Twilight Sparkle.

“We’re here,” Celestia said. This caused Luna to turn her head in the direction of the library and she immediately put two–and–two together.

“Sister, are you sure about this?” Luna asked as they stopped at the library’s doorstep. Celestia turned her head at Luna and smiled a bit.

“Yes I am sure about this, Luna,” Celestia said. “The foal deserves to live a normal foal and fillyhood after what it has been put through these last 6 months.”

“I know but do you think Twilight can take care of a second alicorn?” Luna asked. “It has been 8 months since the incident, and we don’t know how Nyx would respond to the foal.”

For all those who didn’t know, Nyx was Twilight’s adoptive daughter who happened to be the recreation of Nightmare Moon as a result of an unfinished ritual conducted by members of the Children of Nightmare, a cult that was founded by a unicorn who went by the name of Spell Nexus, who happened to be under the influence of Nightmare Moon’s magic. Eight months ago, Nyx was transformed into Nightmare Moon and being overwhelmed by her memories and her feelings of betrayal, she took over Equestria, defeated and imprisoned both the Royal Sisters in the Sun and the Moon respectively and everypony thought it was over.

However, Nyx’s undying love for Twilight and her friends prevented her from becoming Nightmare Moon forever and she saved Ponyville from the beasts that dwelled within the depths of the Everfree Forest. After freeing the Princesses and being returned to normal by the Night Princess herself, Celestia and Luna gave Twilight the task of being Nyx’s legal guardian from that day on.

Celestia stayed silent for a moment, as the smile vanished, before she spoke once again.

“That is true but I think that it would do good for Nyx as she would have another pony like her to relate to,” Celestia said softly as she turned her attention to the foal that was still asleep. “Not only that, but it will also do some good for the foal for she will be in a happy and safe environment surrounded by those who will love and care for her. It’s far better off growing up that way, Luna. I have a lot of faith in Twilight, and I have a feeling that this foal will do great things and that she will be ready to take down the challenges along the way… when the time has come.”

Celestia turned her attention to the slumbering foal and a small smile formed on her face. She, indeed, had a lot of faith in Twilight and she knew that she was the best option for taking care of this foal… for the time being. She had many reasons for doing this; many… many reasons.

Celestia raised her left hoof and was about to knock on the door when Luna spoke up.

“Sister?” Celestia turned her head to her left to face her sister.

“Yes, Luna?”

“Are you really sure about having Twilight take care of the foal?” the Night Princess asked. “I’m not doubting Twilight’s capabilities because Faust knows she can, but why can’t we take care of her?”

Celestia took a deep breath, looked her sister in the eyes, and spoke.

“Because we can’t, Luna,” she said. “Foals require a lot of attention and love, something that our royal duties will prevents us from doing. Then there’s the nobles, who will demand us on doing something about her since she is an alicorn, and alicorn foals are something you don’t see every day. As such, it will be best that Twilight should be the one to take care of her.”

Luna wanted to object but decided against it. She knew, deep down, her sister was right. Her duties as the Night Princess required her to sleep during the day so that she can perform her duties at night, and Celestia’s duties during the day do tend to get quite busy. There was also no doubt that the nobles, including her and Celestia’s nephew, Prince Blueblood, would get on their flanks about the foal being an alicorn and demand the both of them to do something about it.

Luna let out a sigh before looking her sister in the eyes.

“If you think this is the way, then I trust you, sister,” Luna said. “But I hope you realize that there will come a time where we will have to tell the foal everything, right?”

“I am very well aware of that, Luna,” Celestia said. “When the time does come, I will be the one to tell her everything but right now, she will live here in Ponyville like every other pony. Twilight will act as her mother and raise her, alongside Nyx.”

“Sometimes I wish to be a mother, sister,” Luna said, letting out a long sigh in the process. It took Celestia every bit of her willpower to not correct her sister for what she said.

The thing was this; Luna did get her wish but that was over a thousand years ago and Celestia doubted that Luna remembered for it happened sometime before she became Nightmare Moon. Celestia had a feeling that her sister lost her memories after she was purified by the Elements of Harmony, as well as a result of the 1,000-year banishment at the Moon. Celestia made a promise to herself that she would tell Luna everything once the time was right.

After a short while, both she and Luna turned their attention to the library’s door and Celestia, using her left hoof, knocked on the door a few times.

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*


**********************


In the main lobby of the library, Twilight Sparkle was sitting by the reading table, the right side of her face resting down on the wide-open book that she was reading at the time. She was a Unicorn pony with pale mulberry fur, a dark sapphire blue with moderate purple and brilliant pink streak mane and tail, and moderate violet eyes.

The purple unicorn had pulled off an all-nighter and passed out from exhaustion 30 minutes prior. Her mane was messy and drool was pouring out of her mouth and onto the unfortunate pages of the book. The purple unicorn had no idea that she was going to have a visit 30 minutes later after passing out.

Unfortunately, this was a normal, and every day- or night, occurrence for the purple unicorn and for those who lived in the Golden Oaks Library would know that this wouldn’t be the last. Twilight had a habit of picking up and reading book late at night and pull off an all-nighter before passing out at the reading table. Once she picked up a book and started reading, it was almost impossible to snap her out of it or even get the purple unicorn to stop what she was doing.


*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*


Twilight let out snort before she quickly lifted her head off the book. She blinked a few times to clear away the fog that was building up in her vision before rubbing her eyes with her hooves. A loud yawn escaped her mouth, which was then quickly followed by another set of 3 knocks.

“Coming!!” she called out before she sat up from her spot and walked over to the front door. Grasping the doorknob with her magic, she twisted it before pulling it back. With the door opened, Twilight saw who it was that was knocking at her door.

Standing outside on the doorstep were Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Seeing the Princesses standing there had washed away all traces of exhaustion and Twilight went into full awake mode.

“P-Princesses, what a pleasant surprise!!” Twilight said, giving them a goofy smile in the process.

It took Twilight a moment to notice that both of the Princesses had serious expressions plastered on their faces, as well as something wrapped in a light blue blanket floating beside the right side of Celestia’s head.

“Twilight, we need to talk,” Celestia said in a somewhat serious tone.

For the next few minutes, the Princesses informed Twilight of the events that took place just a few hours prior before hoofing legal custody of the still sleeping foal. With their task done, the Princesses left the Library and headed back to Canterlot Castle.


This is how our story begins…

Author's Note:

Hi everypony, (see what I did there), this is the Prologue for my very first fanfic here and I will say this; I am quite excited and nervous at the same time. This is a fanfic that I've been writing for quite some time, which is still currently being written as of now, and I wanted to give it a go here on FimFiction.

Please let me what you guys think of it and let me know what I could've done to make it better and how to improve it. I want to make sure that it's good and something that others will enjoy.

Thanks for reading the Prologue and I will see you guys in Chapter One. :)

(Edit: Made significant changes to what is happening. I personally love how this turned out and I hope you guys do as well. :) )