• Published 30th Aug 2012
  • 916 Views, 6 Comments

Out of Touch - Nocturne Gate



Rarity and Twilight are not feeling well. Are they just having a bad day, or is there more to it?

  • ...
1
 6
 916

Chapter 1: Interlude

The white unicorn looked away and guiltily pawed the ground beneath her with her hooves. She weighed her options. She could try to escape, but that wouldn’t solve the problem on the long term. She could try to ask the spa ponies for a favor, but that would sound desperate. Besides, that would involve explaining her situation and she knew how good they were with keeping secrets. Feigning a sickness wouldn’t solve the problem either, because she knew what her companion’s reaction would be. Hesitantly, she used her last option. The option she did not want to use.

“Fluttershy, dear, do you mind paying this time? I’m afraid I left my bits at home.” The other pony replied immediately, oblivious to the first pony’s concerns. “Oh, sure thing Rarity. You always pay for the spa treatments.”

Fluttershy threw six bits on the counter, asking for the usual and started walking into the establishment, pausing in her steps when she noticed Rarity was not following her. Her smile faded a little.

“Rarity, are you alright? You don’t look too good,” she asked with a hint of concern in her voice.
Rarity hesitated for a short moment before replying. She was still mulling over the decision she made. Was it really the best choice? Couldn’t she find another way? She noticed that she was raising suspicion by just standing there. She did not want her friend to worry.

“I’m fine, Fluttershy. It’s... it’s just that I don’t feel good for letting you pay. It’s my idea to come here after all.”

Fluttershy closed in on Rarity and hugged her. “It’s okay. I enjoy these weekly sessions just as much as you do. It’s only fair if I pay my share.” The rhyme of her last sentence was enough to break the tension. She began to giggle, and Rarity soon followed. By the time they had entered the building, both had forgotten the troubles that had occurred just then.


“Spike? Could you fetch me a copy of Geodes and Gems, please?” The book she was reading had a reference to that title, so it was important to read that one first. There might be some useful information or context she would be missing otherwise. Twilight halted her train of thoughts. The author of that book had also written another book on a completely different subject. If she read that one first, she would get to know the style of that writer a little better, reducing the chance she might miss something between the lines. “And Weasels in their Natural Habitat as well?”

Spike stood up and walked to a nearby bookcase. He was getting tired of this nonsense. “You know, Twilight, you shouldn’t be reading this many books at the same time. You always complain about the amount of books on the ground when you’re finished!”

He gave the books to the unicorn but he did not let go of them yet. “If you would just read them one by one, you can keep the library nice and tidy!”

The lavender unicorn yanked the books out of his grip with telekinetic might. The dragon shrugged and walked back to his pillow and picked up his own book again. “Besides, shouldn’t you be going to bed? It’s really worrisome when I’m waking up in the morning only to see that you are still busy reading.” Twilight huffed in response and added the new titles to her telekinetic circle. She couldn’t hear anything else Spike was saying as she was back in her own world again.


Aloe smiled when she saw her two favourite customers again. But then she noticed something was off. Years of experience in her job helped her with reading emotions. Rarity looked desperate again. Not wanting to repeat last week, she walked towards them and feigned a smile. “Lotus and I were talking just now, and we thought of giving you two a free spa session this week.” When she saw confused faces, she continued: “For being regular customers?”

When the two regulars went around the corner, Lotus looked at Aloe. “Nice save. It looked like Rarity was about to gallop away.” “Indeed, I wonder what happened to her...” They stared into nothingness for a while before Aloe snapped out of it. “Come on, we’ve got customers to pamper.”


Behind the cover of his book, Spike watched Twilight putting yet another book to her circle. He shaked his head in disapproval. He had been watching Twilight from his vantage point for an hour or so. He was too distracted to continue his own reading. What Twilight was doing couldn’t be healthy. The dragon glanced at the clock.

Better start making dinner. Twilight has not yet eaten anything since this morning.

It was a shame, really. He had hoped to catch up on his studies. The dragon language was hard. One slight mispronunciation could mean the difference between saying hello and insulting one’s mother for a hamster. Luckily, Twilight helped him every evening, no matter how caught up she was in her own studies. Sometimes he appreciated having her as pseudo-sister.

Spike wandered to the kitchen while composing a speech that would persuade Twilight into eating something. He grabbed a mirror from the hall and placed it so that he could watch Twilight while he was cooking.

Better safe than sorry.


A pink earth pony was bouncing up and down on the town square with a tray full of pastries on her back. This resulted in weird glances from tourists, but the locals did not seem to find the pony’s actions strange. Nor the fact that the pony was singing and humming while hopping... or the fact that she was a grown up mare, and not a filly. However, both tourists and locals alike had a smile on their face when the pony named Pinkie had passed them.

Pinkie was aware of the looks that other ponies shot her. But she didn’t mind, as they were friends of her... even if they didn’t know it yet. Later today she would have plenty of time to meet and greet them all, as she did with everypony that was new in Ponyville. She enjoyed meeting new ponies. They all had a place in this world, so if you understood all ponies she would understand the world. Or something. Sadly, she needed to understand herself first. She made a mental note to try that someday. However, that note drifted away in her sea of random ideas. Never to be found again.

This morning however, she had a mission. For the last few weeks she had been experimenting with lots and lots of new recipes for cupcakes, muffins, cakes and other pastries. Now, she was finally content with the results. However, she needed ponies to test her creations. But who wouldn’t enjoy the honour of being among the first to eat them?

However, since that little incident some time ago, the mayor had forbidden her to hand out experiments to ponies without both parties’ consent. The mayor was no fun. Pinkie decided not to invite the mayor to her parties anymore.

Well, except for the ones where she invited everypony in ponyville of course. It was not nice to exclude a single pony, even spoilsports like her.

And the Mayor’s birthday party of course. You have to invite the one whose birthday it is, naturally. Except for surprise parties. You don’t send an invitation if you want to keep the party secret.

Whew, thinking is hard work. I do not understand how Twilight manages this all the time.

Pinkie checked her saddlebags another time. She made sure she had prepared the documents the mayor gave her. The only thing she needed now was one of her closest and bestest friends to sign one of these, and assist her in the tasting of her delicious treats.


Twilight’s magic faltered and a dozen of books clattered on the ground. The young dragon walked towards the mess, helping her cleaning up. “I told you that you shouldn’t be reading that many books at the same time! Especially when you are so tired. This was bound to happen!” He picked up a few books before continuing. “No buts, you-...” he replied, before realising Twilight did not protest as usual.

Twilight was silent. She was staring at the pile of books. Spike gave Twilight a concerned look. It felt like an eternity before she finally spoke. “That was probably it... Trying to lift multiple objects while doing something else must have interrupted my concentration...”

After all, it couldn’t possibly be-

Twilight shaked her head. Her muscles began to contract out of pure fear. She felt a headache coming up. She was unaware of the worried looks Spike gave her.

My concentration must have faltered as Spike suggested. It must be. It must.

The world started to spin and her body began to quiver as she collapsed on the ground. The feeling of pure dread was enough to halt her control over her own body. She became dizzy and nauseated.

Why is it so warm in here?

She was only slightly aware of Spike rushing towards her.

And I must be hallucinating. For a moment it felt like... I had no magic at all!

Then she lost consciousness.


Somepony was knocking on the door. “Fluttershy~, are you there?” After a few moments, the door opened just wide enough for the pegasus’ head. “Um. Can I help you? Oh it’s you, Rarity.” The pegasus began trailing off. “I wasn’t... suspecting... any... visitors...” Fluttershy was stunned. She never expected to see this. The door, unguided by any hoof, creaked open slowly. Before her, stood a wreck that was once named Rarity.

Fluttershy shaked herself out of it while trying to formulate a sentence that wouldn’t hurt her friends’ feelings. “Rarity, y-you look like a mess!” she panicked. “W-what happened?”
Rarity’s eyes were red. Her mane disheveled. Her scarf was not tied up correctly and was dragging on the ground. She mustn’t have bathed for at least three days and it was a miracle that she hadn’t dropped down yet from starvation or sleep deprivation. She grabbed Fluttershy by her shoulders and began to shake her while begging her. “Fluttershy! You’ve got to help me-e-e-e.” Rarity would probably have cried as well if she had any tears left.


Pinkie stepped into the library and looked around for her friend. She only saw books scattered over the ground. When she saw Spike sitting in the corner, with his claws around his knees, she approached him. Something was bothering him, and aunt Pinkie was going to fix it.

“Hey, Spike! What’s the matter?” The dragon looked exhausted.

“Well, Pinkie, it’s Twilight. She made quite a fall.” He glanced towards her bedroom. “Nurse Redheart told me that Twilight needed plenty of rest and that she would be fine, but...”

Pinkie sat down and picked up Spike, comforting him. “It will be okay, Spike. Is there anything I can do to help?”

A voice called out. “Actually, you can help me.” Both looked where the sound came from and there stood Twilight. She was unstable on her hooves and seemed to shake a little. She was slightly wincing from pain.

“Hey Twilight, did you sleep well?” Pinkie called out.

Twilight clenched her teeth and asked meekly if they wouldn’t speak so loud. “I think I slept pretty well, but I have an enormous headache.”

Spike jumped out of Pinkie’s grasp and ran towards Twilight, hugging one of her legs. “You slept for nearly two days!” Twilight winced again. Spike apologised in a hushed tone and stopped talking.

After a while, Twilight broke free from the hug. “Spike, you look exhausted. Maybe you should go to bed.” They looked at each other and began laughing. Spike thought about protesting against the hypocrisy of the statement, but saved that for another time and went to bed.


Fluttershy was desperately trying to cheer Rarity up on the road towards town, while trying to get some information out of her as well. “I don’t know Fluttershy... I- I just can’t do it anymore!” The pegasus frowned while trying to think. “You mean you have ran out of inspiration?” She asked. “Well, that too...” the unicorn replied. “But I also can’t stitch anymore. Or sew. Or anything even related to dressmaking!”

Fluttershy stopped in her tracks while Rarity continued talking. “I had scheduled two weeks for creating this batch of dresses, so that I wouldn’t need to stress like usual.” She also stopped moving and gazed towards the ground. “And now a week has passed and I haven’t finished even one dress!” Sorrowfully, she looked up at her companion. “I wasted a month’s worth of income on raw materials and I can’t even manage simple repairs.”

They continued walking to Rarity’s boutique. Fluttershy was slightly shocked that they passed a street musician without Rarity stopping to donate some of her bits like she always did. When they arrived, the unicorn let out a sound that was like a combination of a sniffle and a snicker. “Yesterday, Sweetie Belle came to me asking if I could fix a button for her. A button!” Once inside, Fluttershy ran a hoof through Rarity’s mane before asking how she resolved the situation.

Rarity stared deep in Fluttershy’s eyes with a very serious look. “I- I had to lie to her, Fluttershy! I couldn’t just tell her! I- I told her that I trusted her enough that she could try it herself.” She began trailing off. “She seemed so... happy. She said... she wasn’t going to disappoint me.” Rarity sighed. “I was studying her while she was working, to try and figure out what motions she used.” The breath stopped in her throat. “When she was done, I couldn’t even tell how well she did.”

Fluttershy thought for a moment before she made her suggestion. She already had a busy week, but Rarity needed her now. “Do you want me to finish these dresses for you, Rarity?” The unicorn seemed to laugh and sigh out of hopelessness at the same time. “Finish them? No, I want you to create them from scratch! I have seen how good you are with stitches! Please, Fluttershy, you are my only hope! Please please please pleeease!”

Fluttershy smiled before replying. “Only under one condition. You are going to take a bath while I prepare a meal for you, and afterwards you go to bed. Tomorrow we can visit Twilight to see if she can find out what is the cause of all this.” She was going to find somepony else to take care of her animals. Taking care of your friends is more important, she reasoned.

Rarity could feel tears swelling up in the back of her eyes and hugged Fluttershy. “Thank you. You are too kind, and the best friend somepony could have.”


Twilight opened the door. “Hey Rarity, Fluttershy. What are you doing here?”
“Oh, we’re just dropping by, darling.” Rarity replied. She casually looked around to see if anypony was around and closed the door behind her. When she was sure that they were alone, she began to speak again. “Twilight, you once said that there was no such thing as curses, right?”

Twilight eyed Rarity suspiciously before replying. “Yes....?”

“Then you’ve got to explain what’s happening to me!” Rarity exclaimed. Twilight gave Rarity a worried look. “I forgot how to make dresses, I can’t stitch anymore and I lost my sense of fabulosity!”

Twilight sighed and began to think. The similarities were uncanny. “Normally, I would suggest you ran out of inspiration, or that you are too stressed.” She glanced to her room. “But I appear to have the same problem. Do you want some tea?” “Oh, lovely.” Rarity replied. “What is this smell by the way? It is simply divine!”

Twilight looked towards her kitchen. “Spike and Pinkie are probably in the kitchen tasting cupcakes.” “Hey, girls!” Pinkie suddenly exclaimed from behind Rarity. “Want to try some?”


“So, you’re telling me that you forgot how to read.” Rarity began after they settled down at Twilight’s table. Somehow, it was comforting that she was not the only one losing her touch, even though it meant that her friend was suffering as well.

“Yup, and that’s why she asked me to help her!” Pinkie answered in Twilight’s stead.

“Please do not talk with your mouth full, Pinkie.” Rarity said before turning her eyes back at Twilight. “But why Pinkie, and not Spike?”

Twilight smiled and replied. “Oh, that’s simple. No pony can keep up with how fast I read, except Pinkie.” Rarity looked baffled for a second. “Pinkie? I did not know you read that much!” “Oh, I do not read the books~.” Pinkie replied, her mouth empty this time. “I talk to them!” The conversations went still. After a while, Fluttershy tried to break the silence. “Um. These cupcakes taste good. New recipe?”


It was almost afternoon. Fluttershy had returned to Carousel Boutique yesterday to start with Rarity’s dresses and Spike had gone with her to assist.

Pinkie dropped yet another book on the pile. “I think this was the last one, Twilight. What do we do now?” Twilight looked at Rarity asking her if she had any luck, knowing fully what the answer would be. Rarity closed her book and shook her head.

The fashionista slowly rose up from her sitting position, slightly wincing. “Perhaps I am getting old. I am not as... nimble as I used to be,” she complained. “I think there is nothing that can help us in the library. Perhaps we should give up?”

“Nothing that can help us in the library... Rarity, that’s it!” Twilight exclaimed. “If there is nothing left in the library, we should seek somewhere else!” Two pair of eyes locked at her. Then they called out in unison. “Zecora!”


“I do not really like coffee.” Fluttershy tried really hard to be more assertive, and some days she was doing really well. Today, was not one of those days. The dragon sighed in response. “Fluttershy, you have been working for three hours straight. And you’ll be pulling all-nighters if you want to finish this on time. You need something to keep you awake!” The timid pegasus then reluctantly accepted the steaming cup and took a small sip. She then looked to the ground and thanked her temporary assistant.

She glanced at her progress so far and made a quick calculation. She shook her head before walking back to her working spot. This was getting hopeless. She would never finish on time, even if she pulled all-nighters. She halted her pessimistic thoughts. Slowly her face rose with determination. She had a mission, and her friend depended on her to complete that mission.


Three ponies did not get the response they thought they would get. “It's always a potion, herb or a pill. Do you only come here when somepony’s ill?” The zebra looked accusingly from one pony to the other. “Now I prefer that you won't lie. Is it so hard to drop by?”

The accused ponies were baffled. Rarity opened her mouth to say something, and then closed it again. She looked to the others to see if they could help formulating an appropriate response, but they were as speechless as she was.

“Calm down my friends, I merely jest. So, what made you travel to my nest?”

Twilight shook herself out of it and after apologising for the low frequency of their visits, she began explaining their situation. While the unicorn was talking, Zecora searched through the shelves for anything that could help the ponies. Suddenly she interrupted Twilight.

“For the written language you've gone blind? I do not know any afflictions of that kind!” She then walked towards Rarity to inspect her up close. “Nor have I ever heard of a disease so mysterious, that can cause loss of years of experience!”

The zebra then continued rummaging through her herbs, and started to brew a concoction. Twilight inspected the ingredients with a scientific eye. Cinnamon, chamomile, daffodils, daisies, lemongrass and few plants she couldn’t identify. She asked what Zecora was making.

“Against an unknown disease there is nothing I can do. That’s why I am making tea for you.”

She offered a tray of foreign cookies to her guests. Twilight and Rarity politely accepted one. When the day was over, Pinkie Pie had eaten the rest.


Everypony was gathered in Twilight’s library. Twilight had just finished explaining the situation to Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Applejack was the first to talk again when the unicorn was finished. “So, what y'all reckon’ we do now?”

“Well, Spike wrote a letter to the princess half an hour ago. We should be expecting a reply any time soon.”

A silence followed. Everypony seemed to be in thoughts. Rainbow Dash was the one to break that silence. “Soooo.... How are the dresses coming up, Fluttershy?”

“Rainbow? I didn’t realise you were interested in fashion!” Rarity exclaimed.

“I am not.” The pegasus fiddled around with her hooves. “It is just that I admire how she dropped everything and helped you when you were in trouble.” Rainbow knew how busy Fluttershy was with helping the forest animals with their hibernation. It must’ve been hard for her to let somepony else do that for her.

“Well, Rainbow. I think you would have done the same in her place.”

“If I could stitch, you mean.”

Rarity sighed and let her gaze drift of to outside. “Right now, Rainbow...” She closed her eyes so that her friends couldn’t see them. “Your stitching skills are better than mine.”

Rainbow wanted to react on that comment, but she realised then how Rarity felt. It was like not being able to fly. Rainbow shivered on that thought. She still remembered the days she was in the hospital. “Maybe reading can take your mind of things?” Rarity looked at her with a puzzled look. “It worked for me,” she pressed on.

Rarity glanced towards Twilight. “That could work for me, but what about her?”

“Twitchy twitch!” Pinkie called out.

Before anypony could react, a loud, high-pitched noise began to emit from the centre of the chamber. With each passing second, the room seemed to get brighter and brighter. Everypony had to close their eyes to prevent permanent eye damage. White and yellow rays of sunlight circled around the room, radiating outwards. Applejack tried to call out to her friends, but her voice drowned in the cacophony of sounds. Several objects in the library began to resonate with the soundwaves and here and there a vase dropped on the ground. Fluttershy ducked for cover under a table, and Pinkie dodged a few books thanks to her Pinkie Sense.

The only pony not panicking was Twilight. She stood firm and serene, with her eyes closed and a smile on her face. As sudden as the sound had begun, it disappeared again. As the brightness of the room subsided and the objects stopped falling, everypony began opening their eyes again. Before them, stood Princess Celestia. Twilight immediately walked forward and greeted her.

Celestia took a few seconds to adjust to her new surroundings and inspected the damage she had done. Several vases and jars were lying broken on the ground, a painting was dislodged and the ground was slightly singed. “You never were much for subtlety, were you, Princess?” Twilight remarked. The princess’ horn began to glow and she repaired all damage done in a matter of seconds, apart from the burn marks. The only way to repair that kind of damage was by buying a complete new floor. They would stay there as a reminder of her visit. After she tended the damage she could reverse, she began to speak. “I have received your letter and I came as fast as I could, after organising a few things.”

It slowly dawned upon the other ponies in the room that they were supposed to be bowing, but they were interrupted by a smiling Celestia. “At ease, my little ponies. This is not a formal visit, so I do not care about the formalities.”

“Now, is it okay that I take a hair from both of you? It took a split second for Rarity to realise Celestia was addressing her and Twilight. She removed a loose hair from her mane and floated it towards the princess while Twilight did the same. When Celestia had both hairs, they began to emit light for half a second before disappearing in complete darkness. “My sister will be researching these hairs back in Canterlot.”

Twilight, due to her inquisitive nature, couldn’t resist asking. “Do you have any idea what might be causing our condition?” Celestia looked Twilight in the eyes before answering her question. “We’re not hundred percent certain, but we have a suspicion.” Twilight tried to retrieve more information from Celestia’s eyes, but they weren’t telling anything. Thousands of years of composure prevented that attempt.

Suddenly, a patch of darkness appeared in the air. The Princess’ horn glowed again and the dark aura was replaced with a note. Celestia opened it and read it quickly. “It’s luna. She has confirmed our suspicions.” She closed her eyes before bringing the next news. “It seems the two of you are going on a journey.”

“I am going as well!” a voice called out. Everypony was shocked to see that the speaker was Fluttershy. First they all thought that they misheard it, but Fluttershy’s face was resolute. “Rarity asked for my help three days ago, and I’m going to help. I will see to it that she gets better.” She then realised she had just been shouting in company of her friends and the princess. She continued in a softer voice. “I mean, if that’s okay with you.”

Before anypony could react, however, another voice chimed in. “An adventure! A road trip! A quest! This is going to be fun! I’m in, I’m in, I’m in!” The reaction of Pinkie Pie surprised nopony.

The group looked to the two remaining ponies. Rainbow Dash did not need to think for a second. “I’m in. Element of Loyalty, remember? I don’t leave my friends hanging.” The others could see the logic in that, and turned to the last pony in the room that hadn’t spoken since Celestia arrived.

The silence that fell was unbearable. The earth pony looked up to the expecting gazes, and finally gave in. “Aw, shucks. I don’t really want to leave mah farm, but I can’t sit here in Ponyville while you gals do something dangerous. I will go as well.” She thought for a second before asking a question that should’ve been asked earlier. “So, where are we going?"


End of chapter 1.

Thanks to the following people:
Noble Cause - For organising the Writing Month contest, inspiring me to write in the first place.
Wiebe - For proofreading my story, and pointing out my grammar mistakes.
Niaeruzu - For giving me some writing tips.
The Dutch Brony Community - For moral support, and showing me how great bronies can be!
Lauren Faust, and the whole team at Hasbro - For creating this show in the first place.
And last but not least, YOU! - For taking your time and read my story.

I am not sure when I finish chapter 2. I think it will be soon, but don't get your hopes up too high.

Comments ( 6 )

Well, this is exciting! Great start! :raritystarry:

1186753 Thanks, that is what I needed to continue writing.

Great start to a possibly great adventure. I look forward to seeing how Trixie will become involved.

But wait, Spike never announced that he was going ... Ugh, please don't tell me they're gonna leave him behind because of the danger. There are so many instances in which his exclusion is just instinctively agreed upon, so I'm hoping this time it will be the same case in regard to his INclusion. Otherwise I might lose interest. I've already read an amazing epic that follows the same formula as this one, and since I doubt any other fanfic will be able to top "It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door", Spike's involvement in the adventure and his potential interaction with Trixie are the only things, for me, that it has going for it.

1188504 Don't worry, he will play a large role in this story.

And I doubt this story will ever top "It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door". It was one of my two favorite adventure fics on my list. Especially the beginning of that one was awesome.

looks good so far :twilightsmile:

I can't wait to see more of this story, please keep writing dear
Ciao:raritywink:

Login or register to comment