• ...
 0
 751

Chapter Three - The Decision

Author's Note:

This chapter was written by Moonstar with a bit of my help. Moonstar did stay in the project until the end.

Twilight leaves her bedroom to give Starlight some time to herself to think about the situation to what she just told her when she raises the sun. Once she left, Twilight only wanted to check out how much the castle had changed in the one year she left for Canterlot Castle. All she wants to do is try to move away from the mysterious voice that is haunting them both and let nostalgia capture her in its grasp.

Starlight is just as confused when she knows that Twilight simply walks out of her bedroom with a heavy thought in her head. What exactly could she be thinking about? Starlight wasn’t too sure since she saw Twilight raise the sun before her eyes with an amulet, and looked out the window and took in the fresh morning breeze. She lived in her castle for a whole year now; Starlight feels that she is the next Princess of Friendship, but she knows that title will always belong to Twilight and nopony else.

Sunburst walks in through the castle foyer, carrying a box of glazed doughnuts to share with Twilight and Starlight. He cannot believe Pinkie Pie can throw a mean party and still kill it to a high potential. He said, “Gosh… what a fun time last night. I still cannot believe Pinkie Pie can be one party pony and doesn’t stop. There was something odd about Twilight that I can’t put my hooves on, but I am sure it is nothing that high of a preference. And… Oh My Gosh! Princess! Good Morning!!” He immediately bows his head towards Twilight since she is considered the Equestrian Princess, but she instantly ignores him and passes by him. He looked mighty confused and got concerned. He wants to go ask Twilight how she’s feeling but in the end, he will choose to respect her privacy and move on. He meets up with Starlight outside her bedroom door and instantly blushes just by seeing her presence.

Starlight sees Sunburst and gives him a huge smile, as well as giving him a quick morning hug and kiss. Sunburst continues to blush some more and feels even redder on the cheeks. Starlight giggled to him and said, “Why, good morning, you handsome stallion. What brings you around the castle for today? You got something you want to ask me?”

Sunburst just couldn’t stop blushing and said, “Um… No! No, it’s nothing like that at all. In fact, I was gonna see if you and Twilight would like to have some glazed doughnuts with me in the dining hall.” Starlight could tell he was nervous. She lets out a gasp as to what he brings and said she is delighted to join him. She takes his box of doughnuts and takes them immediately to the dining hall to eat them up! Once Sunburst was alone again, he pulled out a small ring box, and inside was a diamond engagement ring. He feels he is getting closer to proposing the question to her, but knowing the kind of excitement that She is feeling right now, he thought it was best if he held onto it for a while longer.

Twilight wonders the old hallway; she still remembers all the goofy times when she did some silly stuff with her friends and with Spike. As of now, she is letting nostalgia control her mind to get away from the mysterious voice that is controlling her thoughts right now. She said, “Has it been just one year? Why do I feel it’s only been yesterday that I just lived in this dusty old castle? Well, I shouldn’t call it dusty since this was my home, and it should remain that way, but… I can’t. The past is the past and I shouldn’t let that consume me. I need to focus on the future, and govern the lands of Equestria and beyond."

She enters the old throne room and her throne still stands to this very day, even the thrones of her old friends. As of now, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity are away in Ponyville to catch up on what has changed in the one year they were gone. Twilight placed a hoof on her old throne and still remembers the great decisions she made on that very throne; how she overthrew the clutches of her old foes, how she managed to plan a great plan to be named Sibling Supreme, how she learned more about friendship on the fun adventures where the Cutie Map took her and her friends, and many more. She sits her flank down on the throne and sighs in relief that something so simple makes her feel powerful. All of a sudden, the voice returned to her mind and said, “You think that nostalgia is enough to make you forget what kind of future you will soon see? This fate is inevitable and all your ponies and friends shall suffer the consequences.

Twilight grasped her head and said, “No… NO! Get out of my head! GET OUT!!” She rolls over from her throne and collapses onto the floor and rolls in pain. As soon as the voice fades, she gasps and sweats in fear, thinking this voice will be the end of Equestria and the rest of the world. “Where? Where is this voice coming from, and what does it want from me? I need to know how to get to Hollow Shades, the source of where this voice is coming from.” She looks to the Cutie Map and sees that all seems okay and normal and no signs of threat anywhere. Twilight is looking anxious and feels her mind is going insane. But then…

On the Cutie Map, a few Cutie Marks were shown on a location that the Mane Six never visited in years, Hollow Shades. Twilight looks up and gasps in awe. Her Cutie Mark is shown at Hollow Shades, but also Sunburst, Starlight, and her friends. Twilight said, “Hollow Shades? We haven’t been there since we defeated Stygian as the Pony of Shadows. Does… does this mean that… the voice is coming from there?”

All of a sudden, Sunburst and Starlight came in busting through the doors and showing Twilight their flanks, showing her that their cutie marks were glowing. Starlight said, “TWILIGHT! You cannot believe what is going on?! So Sunburst and I were in the dining hall, enjoying some glazed doughnuts, saved some for you by the way, and all of a sudden, our cutie marks were glowing!”

Sunburst continues where she left off. He said, “What is even odder is that this was the same reaction when we were called to go back to our childhood home of Sire's Hollow. What does this all mean, Twilight? What is going on?!"

Twilight knows what is happening, and she knows that her friends are gonna come in and ask her the same question as well. She sighs and said, “I think you two should know first before the others get here. This is what’s going on…” She explains the events that happened last night when an ordinary mirror shows her an event that will happen in the near future, thanks to the voice that she hears in her head.

Once she was done explaining, Starlight and Sunburst nod in agreement. Sunburst said, “So let me get this straight… There’s a voice in your head, mostly your subconscious, saying that there is an unavoidable future coming for us if we don’t follow this voice to Hollow Shades? That’s… a bit hard to say, but if Starlight had such crazy adventures with you, I am bound to believe it.”

Starlight even nods to what Sunburst said and continues where he left off. She said, “Yeah, Twilight! Why didn’t you tell us sooner? I am sure we would’ve believed you from the get-go. If you think this voice is found in Hollow Shades, we’re with you all the way. Plus, I do get bored being the head mare once in a while, and I have Trixie reserved to take over as temporary head mare if I'm needed somewhere important. That way, I have an excuse to get her lazy flank out of that office and be an active member of the school other than a guidance counselor. So, when are we going, your Highness?”

Twilight cannot thank them enough for the offer, and it seems they will have another grand adventure on their hooves since the defeat of Tirek, Cozy Glow, and Chrysalis. Their next trip is back to Hollow Shades to find the source of the mysterious voice. Only Twilight can hear the voice in her head, but she knows that as long as her friends are by her side, nothing is impossible. To when she will find this voice in Hollow Shades, only time will tell...