• Published 14th Mar 2020
  • 1,353 Views, 134 Comments

The Dark Knight Triumphs - TheClownPrinceofCrime



A critical incident prevents the Mane Six from standing up against a new threat. Will the Batman return to save Equestria or leave it to its destruction?

  • ...
2
 134
 1,353

Chapter 18: Thorough Preparation and Shocking Truth

Gordon drove Bruce and Selina in his police cruiser to Wayne Enterprises while Thorax flew close by the car. It took about thirty minutes to get to the tower. Nevertheless, they wasted no time to get to their destination, for they were on a critical mission to save Equestria from mortal danger. Even Bruce was finally willing to pick back up the mantle which he stopped using many years ago.

“What were you and Bane doing here before those creatures chased you down?” Bruce asked.

“Well, we were just taking a tour around Gotham City so that I can be familiar with this city. He taught me plenty of things which I never heard about such as guns, trains, cars, and so forth. He is really cool to hang out with!” Thorax smiled.

Bruce internally cringed at the last part. “I have no clue whatsoever about what he sees in Bane that I don’t. Did he brainwash him? Beguile him? As a matter of fact, how did he even meet with Bane in the first place?” he wondered.

“If I may ask, how did you and Bane meet?” Bruce asked.

“I was in Equestria when the both of us met. After my family and friends were massacred by Tirek and his goons, I was left alone with no friends and no family to talk to or to hang out with. It all changed when he met me in the Everfree Forest. That’s where we had some things in common! We made great friends together! We love to talk to each other—!” Thorax spilled.

“Wait! Hold on...in the Everfree Forest? THERE in Equestria? How did he even get there in Equestria?” Bruce asked, completely confused.

“Uhhhh, hmm...I—um...I honestly have no clue. I only know that there’s a whirlpool portal that lies in that large ocean over there to bring any creature there.” Thorax replied, pointing at the Atlantic Ocean. After they finished speaking, Bruce turned back to Selina and Gordon.

“That’s just strange. Bane obviously was killed by Selina while she used my Bat-pod. How is he even still alive?” Bruce whispered.

“That makes no sense! I saw him lying dead on ground when we fought for Gotham! I killed him myself! There has to be some logical explanation of how he came back! Who even brought him in Equestria? Has he known about it before?” Selina whispered.

“Believe me, I too demand answers, but right now, we need to formulate a plan to save Equestria and stop Bane! I don’t care what that bug says. Bane is a manipulative scumbag for all I know and care.” Gordon whispered.

“How are we going to explain to Thorax about what he did to Gotham? We can’t keep him from the truth.” Selina advised.

“I understand that. In fact, that is exactly what I’m planning to do. He needs to see the real Bane which you both and I knew long ago. He may be asleep like Batman, but soon he will awaken to finish what he had started. I know it.” Bruce said.

“Who do you think will awaken the Bane we know?” Selina smirked. “Someone we know?”

“What do you mean? Wait...” Bruce took a moment to realize what she meant. Then he remembered whom she referred to. “Ohhhh...well, when the time is right, he will know.”

“I’m looking forward to that. The fire rises.” Selina said.

Several minutes later, they arrived at Wayne Enterprises. Once they got out of the police car, they faced the whole building in all its glory. Thorax gazed on it. “Wooowww...I LOVE IT!! I’m finally able to visit this place!” he squealed. Bruce slightly smiled from his reaction.

“But wait! What if they see me? They might not like my appearance!” Thorax said.

“Don’t worry, Thorax. It will be fine. I won’t let them hurt you.” Bruce comforted.

“Okay. But just in case...” Thorax said, suddenly enveloped in a green flame and changed to a human. He appeared as a teenager with jeans, white T-shirt, sneakers, and black sweater. Gordon and Bruce looked surprised to see him in his alternate form whereas Selina chuckled in amusement from their reaction.

“I told you, boys. Changelings are great masters of disguise. Plus, he looks decent. That will do.” she said, giving Thorax a thumbs up.

Thorax blushed from the compliment. “Heh, heh, thanks, Selina. I didn’t think that this disguise would work. But judging on what you humans wear everyday, I thought I would give it a shot.”

They entered the building through the front doors. As they encountered the security guards, the latter requested their ID. Once the three identified themselves, they cast a curious look at Thorax in disguise. “What’s your name, young man?” one of them asked.

“My name is Thorax.” he replied.

“Thorax. Is he your son, Mr. Wayne?” the guard asked him.

Bruce thought about it before replying back. “Not exactly. He is actually our nephew who is here for the first time. I just like to give him a tour of this place I was once CEO of, right Thorax?”

“Uhhh, yes! Definitely! I heard so much about that I thought I like to visit here.” Thorax smiled.

“Interesting. Very well, guys. You may precede. Glad to see you, Commissioner Gordon.” he saluted.

“Likewise, Michael.” Gordon nodded.

The four of them entered an elevator. As the doors closed, they were elevated to the fourth floor of the tower. “What is this big box we’re in? I just felt its force pushing us up.” Thorax asked.

“It’s called an elevator. It can take you to any floor of the building once you push the appropriate button to take you there.” Bruce replied.

“An elevator...” Thorax repeated. “Nice! So where are we going?”

“An area to meet the best man of this whole company. Trust me when I say that.” Bruce smirked.

They reached to the fourth floor. After they exited the elevator, they reached to the CEO’s office. A woman outside greeted them and had them wait in the room to inform her boss.

“Mr. Fox, we have guests here today who would like to see you.” she informed.

“Excellent. Bring them in please.” he said.

Nodding, she brought the four guests to the CEO and left the office to resume her work. He looked up and saw his old comrades before him. “Well, well, Mr. Wayne! Long time no see! Didn’t expect to see you today!” he warmly greeted.

“Great pleasure to see you again, Lucius!” Bruce said, shaking his hand.

“Good to see you both as well, Gordon! Selina!” Fox greeted. He shook their hands in welcome. Then he turned his attention to the young changeling in disguise. “Young man...I don’t think we have met before. What’s your name?”

“My name is Thorax. It’s good to meet you for the first time, sir.” Thorax nodded.

“Is he a relative of yours, Mr. Wayne?” Lucius asked.

“Well, don’t be surprised, Lucius. He isn’t any regular person you see.” Bruce said, beckoning Thorax to change back. Thorax shifted to his normal form, slightly surprising Lucius.

“Wow...color me surprised. I assume he is one of those ponies who have visited our city from...Equestria as they call it?” he asked.

“Well, I’m a changeling. Half-pony, half-bug if you will. We came here on a mission to save Equestria from Lord Tirek and his army. Right?” Thorax said.

“Yes. I need your assistance, Lucius. I know it’s been a long time since we have done something like this, but I have friends there who are in danger. I’m not willing to sit here while they get endangered by the passing second.” Bruce spoke.

“Wow. It absolutely amazes me, Mr. Wayne. No matter how many times you may try to get away from your calling, the Batman never truly dies. I can clearly see that now.” Lucius observed.

“Um, who’s Batman?” Thorax asked.

“We will show you later, Thorax. Come with me.” Lucius directed. He lead them to a secret room downstairs where many sorts of gadgets and armory were stored. Closing the door behind them, he guided them to a desk.

“Long ago, I had brought many sorts of new materials for your flexible bat-suit ever since you ventured out into their pony world. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to ask you if you would consider trying them out. But now that you’re here, I finally have the privilege to introduce you to them.” Lucius began.

“Please do share.” Bruce said.

“This ought to be interesting.” Gordon muttered.

Lucius took out several armor plates and silver batarangs. “These are the upgraded Kevlar plates with advanced resistance to magic beams and magical teleportation. So if a unicorn or any other creature tries to levitate you via telekinesis, they will fail trying.” he said.

“That will surely make my reunion with Twilight quite slower. But I’ll take it.” Bruce muttered.

“Next, we have these silver batarangs. They are not the normal batarangs you’re accustomed to. They have the unique ability to slice through concrete and metal as well as endure the highest heat levels such as in lava. Plus, they can impede a creature’s magic.” Lucius said, showing him the weapons.

“Very impressive, Lucius. I’ll take them as they will be needed for the battle that all of us will be involved in. I’m glad you’re still keeping your touch during times like this.” Bruce thanked.

“Anytime, Mr. Wayne. Before you leave, just remember that no matter what happens, never lose your touch as the Dark Knight. Gotham will always look up to him.” Lucius smiled.

“Thank you, Lucius.” Bruce smiled back. He grabbed the upgraded equipment and put them in his backpack. Both Lucius and Bruce shook hands.

As they left the tower and got back in Gordon’s cruiser, the commissioner turned the engine back on and took off. Bruce took his phone out and contacted a close friend of his. “Hey, Blake! How is everything going?” he greeted.

“Bruce? Is that you? I thought you were dead! It’s been years!” Blake said on the phone.

“My death was a bit exaggerated, but that was when I thought the Batman should be no more. But guess what? It appears that I can never truly get away from what I was destined to be.” Bruce explained.

“Well, I’m glad to hear your voice again. What brought you back from the dead at this point in time after so long?” Blake asked.

“You’ve heard about Equestria and its ponies that used to visit our city from time to time right?” Bruce asked.

“Yeah, I’ve heard about them although I’ve never met one before. What’s going on?” asked Blake.

“Equestria is in great danger as our new friend has informed us. We need to get to the bat cave to be thoroughly prepared for what could be the biggest battle Equestria may ever have.” said Bruce.

“Well, when you say it like that, that does sound quite serious. Mind if I can join in?” Blake asked.

“Yes, I’m going to need all hands on deck for us to succeed.” Bruce said.

“Very well. I’ll meet you at the bat cave. Oh, and by the way, call me Robin.” he said, hanging up the phone.

“Robin, hm? That doesn’t sound like a bad name.” Bruce muttered.

“Indeed. Better than Boy Wonder at least.” Selina added.

Bruce then faced Gordon. “I need you to bring half of the police forces with us, including the SWAT team.” Gordon was a bit puzzled from his request.

“Really? You think those mythical creatures are that dangerous that warrant such forces to be recruited like ours?” Gordon asked.

“Desperate times require desperate measures, Gordon. Twilight and her friends are in danger. I will not let them be taken away on my watch.” Bruce sternly replied.

“Very well then. I’ll contact them immediately.” Gordon complied.

As Gordon was doing that, Bruce faced Thorax who was again flying close outside the passenger window. “Thorax, I have something to tell you that you need to hear.” he said.

“Okay! What is it?” Thorax asked.

“Bane and I actually have a history together. You may not believe me, and you may not find it in Bane, but he is a dangerous mastermind who almost destroyed Gotham after he broke my back and killed dozens of people across the city. He even tried to kill Gordon at one time once his hideout was discovered and tore the whole city apart when he released all the criminals from Blackgate Prison. In short, Bane is...EVIL.” Bruce explained.

Thorax had the mixed look of shock and confusion. His very friend is...an evil man?! Someone who almost destroyed a city of innocent people and murdered people’s lives? He truly couldn’t believe it. “But...but that’s impossible!! He’s my friend! How could he do something terrible like that?! He never told me any of that!” he exclaimed.

“Listen, I’m not lying to you, Thorax. I have absolutely no reason to. But this is the truth about Bane and what he did. Selina and Gordon know that it is true.” Bruce somberly said. Gordon and Selina nodded in agreement.

“If that is true, then why didn’t he tell me any of that?” Thorax asked.

“If he didn’t tell you everything that I shared with you, then that tells me that he is keeping secrets from you and knows that you are against terrorism and tyranny.” Bruce concluded. “He might even trick you to join him in a scheme to retake Gotham. But don’t take my word for it. When you see him again, you confront him and ask him serious questions. Okay?”

“(Sigh) Okay. I still find this revelation unsettling though.” Thorax admitted.

“Understandable. Here we are.” Bruce said. They stopped before a waterfall and got out of the vehicle. Thorax shifted to a large umbrella to cover them from the heavy water. After they went through it, he shifted back to his real form and stood by Bruce.

The bat cave opened up and revealed Robin within it. “Welcome back, Bruce. Selina, Gordon—good to see you both again.” he greeted. They nodded in acknowledgment. Then he faced Thorax. “This is the new friend you mentioned earlier, I presume?”

“Correct. I trust that my suit is still in preserve?” Bruce asked.

“Always has been as a memorial of what you were before. But now, it becomes alive again.” Robin smiled.

He guided them to the inner sections of the bat cave Bruce used to roam around years ago. Gordon, Selina, and Thorax gazed at everything they saw especially Robin’s extra suits, gadgets, vehicles, and so forth. “You’re lucky Bruce gave you all this luxury. I envy you.” Selina said.

“Our mansion isn’t enough, Selina?” Bruce asked.

“Just kidding. No need to be offended.” Selina giggled.

“So this is where all the magic happens. Fascinating.” Gordon noted.

Then they stood before the iconic bat-pod. Bruce bushed the button that activated a transparent case to rise from the stone on the water. It rose up and revealed the legendary bat-suit.

“Whoa...who’s the Batman?” Thorax asked.

“Guess who.” Bruce said. He reached near the case and took the suit.