• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 717 Views, 9 Comments

Canvas - TheAlmightySage



A quiet day in the life of the Princess of All Ponydom.

  • ...
0
 9
 717

Chapter 1

Canvas

It was a quiet day. A slow day. While most days were spent addressing the concerns of the young nation and tending to the needs of her little ponies. Today was in fact quiet day with a fairly empty schedule. Which granted her majesty time to herself. A rare event for the Princess of a rising nation, but not an unwelcome event.

Her Majesty walked the halls of the palace appreciating the various paintings of her family, historically important dates, ponies of great renown, and the occasional friend to the principality; a portrait of a well loved bardic grey griffin with black molted head, a portrait of a dragon as he offered a large claw full of gems and gold to an ancestor of the Princess, a tall regal alicorn sitting atop a cloud palace watching as six representatives of the pony tribes wandered in pairs of two in their own ways in the cold and snow to a large green valley as a knowing smile graced his muzzle. So many memories and tales preserved in art. It was no wonder that artists and story tellers were loved by so many, but today the princess did not wish to reminisce as she gazed at various portraits and tapestries.

Since the schedule had been effectively emptied shortly after the noon meal the Princess had declared that she would spend the rest of her day in relaxation outside the castle, much to her royal guard's protests, but as with many things once her Majesty made up her mind any arguments tended to fall to the way side; especially in a matter so simple as desiring a day in the beautiful rolling green hills along the palace's eastern side.

Ah the eastern hills, often called the Emerald Hills for their vibrant and deep green color. It had been one of the Princess' favorite spots to enjoy the beauty of the land as it was when her little ponies first arrived to this blessed valley so long ago for quite some time.

But now was not a time to reminisce. As she sat upon the sun warmed lush grass of a tall hill inspiration tickled the edges of her mind. Prompting the Princess to ask her guard to fetch the Tools of her Trade, but as the pegasus began to rise into the air an impulse struck the Princess and she called out for him to pause and instead of fetching her Tools to retrieve instead a canvas, paints, and a small assortment of brushes. While momentarily perplexed the guard then gave a sharp salute and left to fulfill his princess' request.

Her majesty giggled to herself at the sight of the returning guards.

Apparently the first guard saw the "mission" of his Princess' request to be of the most eminent importance and called one guard to carry each of the artistry supplies. One pegasus guard carrying the satchel of paints, one pegasus guard carrying a large canvas, one unicorn guard carrying the easel in his telekinetic grip, and finally an earth pony guard carrying saddle bags full of varying sized brushes. The importance her little ponies placed upon serving their Princess was often endearing and humorous if a bit trying at times.

She watched with no small amusement as her dedicated guards set the easel into place with the manner of care one typically reserved for moving and placing a foal's carriage. The unicorn guard then set and centered the large canvas upon it as the pegasus and earth pony were setting the small paint jars and paint brushes in manner resembling the chefs setting out utensils made of gold and silver. With a gentle smile she thanked her guards; who beamed at the simple praise then assumed a perimeter guarding their Princess upon the peaceful isolated hilltop.

The Princess raised the paint pallet with her magic then selected a small number of distinct, but easily mixed colors. The scent of the clear oils which suspended each pigment gave her nose a soft tickle.

Memories prompted by the scents of the paints were of a masterful painter who had taught her how effectively a story could be told through a painting or drawing. The memories played softly in her mind from very long ago as she selected a wide brush to start painting with as his words echoed in her mind.

"I believe everyday is a good day when you paint", he would say with a smile as he glided his brush over the canvas deftly creating worlds and telling tales upon a simple canvas. All the while keeping an eye over his Princess student and passing an encouraging word when she needed it.

"There are no limits here. You start off by believing here", he would remind her with a tap of his hoof to his head when he could see her frustration occasionally rising.

"We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.", he would remind her when a cloud or tree didn't quite turn out how she wanted it to.


"Find freedom on this canvas," her Majesty said under her breath in a soft whisper as each of her brush strokes built up a world that is to be.

The Princess mixed colors with practiced skill upon the canvas. Creating vast hills within a green valley. After laying such layers of vibrancy her majesty started painting without thinking letting the brushes become extensions of her unconscious mind; letting her imagination and paints flow like water.

After a time the guards curiosity got the better of them and started watching as their Princess created.

Upon the large canvas now was an image from a valley floor looking up to wide majestic mountain that stood distinct from its brothers. With clear, but unknown intention the brushes changed and strokes changed and the mountain gained more features: a large outcropping stood out from the very mountain itself, upon which stood the foundation of a city. A city of alabaster, marble, rich homes, and gilded towers each topped with rich reds, majestic blues, and lush greens upon each tiled roof. A city meant to stand tall for many generations. Whose very image would inspire a feeling of magic and the loyalty of close friends.

The Princess smiled as she changed to a small thin brush dabbing it into golden pigment as her mind saw each tower to be decorated in its own way. Each speaking of the riches that honest work, generosity to the populace and kindness in ruling brought.

Setting the brushes down her majesty looked upon the painting as a quiet, but joyous laughter slipped from her lips. The guards sat in silent appreciation of the masterpiece that their beloved Princess had wrought as they had watched in rapt attention, but one guard had a question.

"Princess?", the Captain asked as looked upon the still wet painting.

"Yes, Captain?", her Majesty replied in a soft tone as she sat her eyes never leaving the painting.

"What city did you paint? It's very beautiful, but I have never seen nor heard of a city such as this one."

The Princess smiled at the compliment, as her other guards murmured amongst themselves at the painted city's beauty, her Majesty lifted a small, but fine pointed brush dipping into a vibrant red pigment as she replied to her guards.

"This is the city of Canterlot and you have not seen nor heard of it, Captain Valor because my daughters have not yet founded it", the Princess of all Ponydom smiled, ignoring the surprised murmurs of the guards, as she signed her name upon the bottom right hoof corner in simple soft brush strokes as: Faust.


---
Archivist's Notation: A short story written while listening to "Happy Little Clouds (Bob Ross)" by Melody Sheep. Written in four days with as little dialogue as possible as a personal challenge. See if you can spot all the references.

Comments ( 9 )

Archivist's Notation: A short story written while listening to "Happy Little Clouds (Bob Ross)" by melodysheep.

Written in four days with as little dialogue as possible as a personal challenge.
See if you can spot all the references. :derpytongue2:

-----

It's a bit rough and not as descriptive as I wanted it to be, but it's passable for me.

That wasn't bad man, you should keep writing, unless you are already writing, in which case keep writing anyways.

1244982

Eh it's okay for a first story in nearly seven years, but I could've been a bit more descriptive; granted I am my own most ruthless critic :fluttershyouch: I'm trying to find the time to write, but work is rather demanding of my time. Fortunately I can write on my phone's notepad so it's slow, but I am writing.

That was very interesting. The phrase 'short but sweet' fits rather well here, and I can see why there are no down votes. I wish I had found this 17 weeks ago! :twilightsmile:

1835191
Thank you. I'm planning on doing some mild editing to this one later.

I was wondering why the cover art brought to mind the phrase “happy little trees”…

The description of her painting is making me think of one of the recent banners added to the site.

Banner:
http://www.fimfiction-static.net/images/custom_banners/moe_canterlot.jpg

Banner art source:
http://derpibooru.org/25

2337415
Thanks. Bob Ross was a great man.
Be sure to check the first comment for the song.

I liked it.

Login or register to comment