• Published 24th Aug 2012
  • 7,608 Views, 292 Comments

After the Honeymoon - Pokey the Unicorn



Shining Armor and Cadence have returned with a special announcement.

  • ...
57
 292
 7,608

A chance to talk

Some were more reluctant than others. The element bearers didn't approach the Changelings right away, but some of the braver guards did. They weren't willing to do more than greet the shapeshifters, still being cautious.

The first thing Rarity and Applejack did once they were freed was run over and make sure the other was alright. Celestia and Luna stepped back to observe, muttering to each other under their breath. Rainbow flew over to Twilight.

"You okay Twilight?" She sounded more concerned than she'd usually allow herself.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks Rainbow."

"I saw that thing bite you. Are you sure?"

"It didn't bite me, look." Twilight tilted her head to one side. Rainbow leaned in and looked at her neck, tracing a hooftip over it to make sure there were no punctures.

"Good." Rainbow tried to sound brusque, but she couldn't hide the subtle notes of relief in her voice.

"Do you think we can trust them? One spoke to you, right?" Rainbow asked.

"I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be any apparent danger though. They're outnumbered, and we could probably overpower them if we needed to."

"Fluttershy!" Rainbow exclaimed. "What happened?"

"Hi girls." The pegasus said as she walked over. "Oh I was so scared at first. Everypony fell asleep, and then the Changelings came in and I thought we'd lost, but Cadence explained it all to me, and... I think I agree with her. The Changelings aren't all bad."

"Huh." Rainbow said. "Okay, but I wouldn't get too comfortable." Rarity and Applejack walked over to the group next.

"I'm not sure what to make of all this. What an unexpected turn of events." Rarity mused. "Twilight darling, are you alright?"

"Yeah. It wasn't bad at all, actually. Changelings are very gentle nuzzlers." Twilight said, giggling.

"Just like RD here, then?" Applejack said. She poked the pegasus playfully, earning herself a glare. Rainbow felt herself blush, but thankfully, Rarity had chosen that moment to notice Pinkie Pie.

"What in Equestria is Pinkie Pie doing?!" They all looked. There were two Pinkie Pies standing next to the Changelings. They both seemed to be mimicking each others' movements, doing all sorts of contortions and dances. Pinkie Pie—what they all assumed was the real one—was giggling madly. She looked like she was having the time of her life. Rarity called for her, and she bounced over to the group.

"Hey, the princess is coming over!" Pinkie pointed out.

"Hello Twilight and her friends." Celestia said sweetly. "I hope that none of you are hurt in any way?" The six mares bowed before her.

"We're all fine princess. Are y-" Celestia cut her off with a raised hoof.

"Twilight, I'd like you to take your friends and go back to your room. Can you do that for me now?"

"But princess!" Twilight exclaimed. "What about Shining Armor an-"

"The Royal Guard has the situation under control. There's nothing for you to worry about. And besides, if something does go wrong, it would be wise to keep the elements of harmony on hoof, yes?"

"Oh, okay! Should we go get the elements now princess?"

"No, that won't be necessary Twilight." Celestia said, indicating that the conversation was over. Twilight and her friends glanced at each other, then slowly walked out of the ballroom. Rather than returning to their room, all six unanimously agreed that they'd rather wait outside in the garden.

As soon as the doors closed, Celestia whirled around and paced towards Cadence and Chrysalis. She rose to her full height and flared her wings aggressively, glaring down at the pink alicorn.

"I would have you courtmartialled."

"Aunty, I-"

"You compromised the security of the Royal House. You brought a known threat into Canterlot, and you have betrayed our trust. If I had sole responsibility I would banish you from the kingdom instantly."

It wasn't the harsh words or the threat they carried that terrified Cadence. It wasn't even Celestia's stabbing glare. It was the calmness with which she spoke. Cadence had seen Celestia get angry like this once before, and it had scared her to the core. Now, this fury was being directed squarely at her. She could feel her pulse race. The edges of her vision faded to black. She felt as though the ground were going to open up and swallow her whole. It wasn't until then that the gravity of the situation truly hit her. She trembled. Her legs felt weak. Celestia's wrath was absolute; she showed no mercy.

"This is unforgivable." She said. Shining Armor and Luna gasped.

Chrysalis had been uncharacteristically silent ever since she had entered. She sat on one side of the room with a swarm of content, fed Changelings behind her. She had been perfectly happy to sit aside and watch the proceedings, but seeing Celestia tear apart what she considered to be her sole friend spurred her into action. With a buzz of her wings, she shot over and put herself between the two alicorns.

"You!" She snarled. "What kind of monster are you?!"

Celestia didn't even bother to turn her head when she glanced over at Chrysalis. Her horn sparked threateningly.

"You will hold your tongue."

"No. You're going to listen to me, princess. I won't allow you to speak to her like that! There is no threat to Canterlot, and Cadence has both explained and justified her actions. Only you could see this as a betrayal. You would disown her simply because she consorted with somepony you don't like? She risked everything for my species, and she did so of her own accord! I have the right to diplomatic negotiations on behalf of my people, and you must give me an audience."

"You lost any rights you might have had when you invaded Canterlot." Celestia said.

"And I reveled in every second of it." Chrysalis spat. "You don't deserve your perfect little pony kingdom Celestia. If not for that unicorn lackey of yours, I would have succeeded! Just imagine what Equestria would be like without you."

Celestia's eyes narrowed. "Captain!" She barked. "Assemble a two-unit detail immediately."

"Yes Ma'am!" Shining Armor replied. "Spearshot, Bolt Cracker, on point now! The rest of you are dismissed." Two unicorn guards took their place next to the captain, leveling their horns at the Queen. The rest filed out the door hurriedly. The air in the ballroom was thick with venom, and most of them were glad to be out of there.

Chrysalis scoffed. "What are you doing now? Threatening my subjects? Threatening me? I wouldn't be surprised. Do you still think you hold the moral high ground Celestia? I suppose it's okay for you to threaten my subjects, you are the princess. I wonder what you'd say if I were to threaten your little unicorn pet?" Celestia's facial expression remained unchanged.

"Kill her."

Chrysalis's eyes widened. Shining Armor's military register cracked slightly as he issued the order to his soldiers. The two unicorns fired a volley of horn bolts at the Changeling Queen, blasting her backwards. Her body cut a swathe through the Changelings behind her, and she slammed into the far wall with a sickening crunch.

"No! No! What are you doing!? Cadence shrieked. She galloped over to her fallen friend and hugged her protectively. "No! Don't hurt her!! Please!"

"I'm alright Cadence." Chrysalis groaned. The impact had stunned her, but she was otherwise unharmed.

"Captain. Have you mastered the anti-brainwashing spell?"

"Uh... yes princess."

"Perform it."

Shining Armor was torn. He approached his wife tentatively, paralyzed by indecision. His wife or his monarch? Cadence's eyes widened.

"You don't trust me?" She asked, bewildered.

"Cadence, I trust you. I'll always trust you but I... I have to do this." He replied solemnly.

"Shiny, it's me! This is me!" She exclaimed. Shining Armor just sighed. "I know." His horn glowed, and he touched the tip to Cadence's head. She stared at him, waiting for whatever would happen to happen.

Nothing happened. The captain finished the spell, then turned to Celestia.

"There's nothing there ma'am." He reported stiffly. "Princess Cadence is not under any kind of influence, and is acting of her own free will."

"Then there is no excuse for her actions." Celestia stated.

"Sister! I shall request your consult in private." Luna requested sharply. Celestia stood still for a second, then calmly walked over to the Moon pony.

"I understand your feelings, but I implore you sister, please take some time to decide upon your actions. Cadence is royalty! She has taken a sworn oath pledging allegiance to Equestria. I do not believe she would turn on us so quickly. I would prefer if we discussed this prior to any action being taken. May I suggest that you issue your decision tomorrow morning?" Celestia considered for a moment.

"Very well." She walked back over to Chrysalis and Cadence.

"Mi Amore Cadenza and the Changeling beast will be incarcerated. Luna, I trust you will escort them to the dungeon safely?"

"Of course, my sister." Luna replied. Celestia disappeared in a flash of golden light, teleporting back to her chambers.