• ...
48
 1,006
 5,156

List of references and allusions

Friends Together: Apple Bloom's dialogue in the last paragraph references Through the Eyes of Anon-a-Miss.

Even when it Rains: Apple Bloom meeting with her friends, shortly before the flashback, is a callback to Through the Eyes of Anon-a-Miss. Rarity's 4th wall breaking is a reference to Not Another Anon-a-Miss Story, as is Sweetie Belle's actions and dialogue at the end of the chapter. Rarity also briefly references An Inspector Calls.

Arguing will Get you Nowhere Fast: Applejack's dialogue with her grandmother is a reference to Diamonds are for Apples. The various scenes in the corridor reference We are Number One, You are a Pirate, and the Globglogabgalab. The confrontation in front of the locker combines elements of Reverse, Anon-a-Miss: Confrontation, and Hell and High Water, with Applejack and Rainbow Dash's roles reversed, as well as a quote from the play The Rainmaker. On the bus journey, Pinkie references Applebuck Season, and the sequence of the characters getting lost is a reference to Battle School, an episode of Dad's Army. The scene with the Dazzlings references their debut in Rainbow Rocks.

Thre's no use in Worrying when Things start going Wrong: The journal conversation between Twilight and Sunset references several episodes of MLP, such as Ponyville Confidential, as well as alluding to the Celestia cake meme. There is also a reference to the Season 2 episode Hearth's Warming Eve. Vapour Trail and Sky Stinger both allude to the events of Top Bolt, and the secrets posted by the account reference Ponyville Confidential. The notes on Sunset's locker reference multiple different Anon-a-Miss stories, most notably Dainn's Anon-a-Miss, whilst the fight scene, and subsequent intervention by Luna is a callback to both Firebird's Nest and Through the eyes of Anon-a-Miss. The scene in Sugarcube Corner is a reworking of that from the original comic, with more secrets released referencing Through the eyes of Anon-a-Miss. The scene in Scootaloo's bedroom references Hell and High Water.

You Really Should be Doing as You're Told: The references to Sugarcube Corner reference Anon-a-Miss: That's Enough, whilst the entire scene with the Principals references several Anon-a-Miss stories, presented here in no particular order; The Forsaken, Blamed, Through the eyes of Anon-a-Miss, Bitter Tears, Myriad Thoughts, and Solar Eclipse. The punishments proposed by the siblings allude to similar ones given in Confession. Sunset's conversation with Pipsqueak, Button Mash and Rumble is modelled on a similar one in How Anon-a-Miss mucked up. The layout of the scene in the cafeteria, as well as much of the dialogue, is based on Not Very Anon-a-Miss, with Sunset's comment to Rarity near the end a reference to a similar conversation between Rarity and Sweetie Belle in It Takes a While, whereas the last two lines of dialogue reference Reverse, with Rainbow Dash and Rarity's positions in the conversation reversed.

Happy or Sad We'll Stick by Your Side: The overall structure of the chapter is modelled on Consequences, the seventh chapter of Bitter Tears, with the flashback being a darker version of a discussion at the beginning of Somepony to Watch over Me. There are a few callbacks to earlier stories, such as Railway Adventure. Sweetie Belle's punishment is a hybrid of that seen in Myriad Thoughts and Bitter Tears, and the dialogue is loosely modelled on a conversation in the story Sweetie Belle's Big Adventure, as well as a nod to I'm Sorry, Sis: Sweetie Belle. A joke in The Adventures of Tintin is also referenced. Scootaloo having a rock thrown at her references Failure of Friendship. The treatment that Cheerilee receives at Sugarcube Corner, as well as Rumble's reaction, is a callback to Anon-a-Miss: That's Enough, with Rumble taking the place of Mr and Mrs Cake.

Whenever you Need a Hand: Cranky Doodle's comments reference the Judge's speech from the film The Violent Years, whilst a few George Orwell references are made. The escape references Bloom Filter. The flashback sequence references The Shadow Knows!, Anon-a-Miss with a Twist, Hell and High Water, Bitter Tears, and Through the Eyes of Anon-a-Miss.

Don't Judge a Book by its Cover: The scene of Sunset and Sweetie Belle hacking the account alludes to Not Very Anon-a-Miss, whilst the speech given by Trick Shot is based on that given by Swift Order in Dainn's Anon-a-Miss. The confrontation in the carriage shops is based on Achilles Veil, a level of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

If you Don't Concentrate on the Thing that you're Doing: Rarity's conversation with Mrs Cake is based on one heard in Anon-a-Miss: That's Enough. When Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity realise the CMC are not Anon-a-Miss, the conversation references Not Another Anon-a-Miss Story, Airplane!, and Wherever you Find Love. The scene of the siblings making up with one another is based on one in Sadness, with the relative roles of the characters reversed.

Winter Wonderland: The assembly scene is modelled on the version shown in When you Hit a Road Block, with the positions of the characters switched around. The journal letter is based on the ones at the end of Rainbow Rocks and the beginning of Friendship Games. Finally, Will, Cheerilee, and Scootaloo paraphrase the scene in Bob Cratchitt's home in A Christmas Carol.

Chapter titles: Each chapter title is a line from a different Thomas & Friends song.

Comments ( 111 )

Not bad not at all next thing you know you make another remake of this but crossovered with kingdom hearts

9653610
I'll think about it.

9653611
Of course you will but if you do consider it I’ll be happy to help

9653614
That's leading into a follow-up.

9653602

The story is a vanilla remix of the Anon A Miss story with a bunch of garbage tacked on. Cozy Glow, the CMC runaround, involving the police, Sunset hacking the account; why are you making a bullying story so convoluted?

I was tempted to just call the story bad and just write it off, but then I remembered that the original Anon A Miss story was polarizing and that it would've been normal for a remixed Anon A Miss story to be polarizing too... but that it wasn't well written either. So, meh.

And I should really shouldn't comment so much.

9653618
Well, thanks for being honest.

9653634
Well, that makes sense. Otherwise, he'd sound weirder.

Comment posted by diablo4000 deleted May 31st, 2019

9653640
I have enough issues with other TV shows and games changing VAs for no obvious reason.

9653643
I looked at that one. It makes no sense.

Comment posted by diablo4000 deleted May 31st, 2019

9653643
How dafuq does that even make any sense...? :rainbowhuh:

9653616
.............................I'm not sure what to say or think. I'm afraid to give it a shot. Be the same thing?
OR will we get some real justice and consequences?

9653645
Deleted the comment and description as felt ashamed even mentioning it. Sorry, it just a mess of a fic. And there people who actually like it.

9653654
Doesn't just badly written. Deleted the comment and description as actually felt ashamed even describing it.

Before I get into this, just let me say I LOVED this story and I do not regret reading it.


That being said though, I think it fell flat towards the end. You did a complete 180 towards the end and ripped all the conflict and meaning out of the story and made it this.....sunshine and rainbows bullshit that, if I am honest, was worse then the EQG ending. Now don't get me wrong, I know you wanted to have a less depressing ending BUT there is a difference between depressing and just outright Cop out.

I will list some of the issues I saw:

The first being the Unresolved Abuse and the near Criminal actions of some of the cast. The CMC were Abused and in Sweeties case STARVED, The constant familial verbal and physical abuse in Aplleblooms case AND the denial of Services and Assault on Cheerilee. None of this was ever resolved like it should have been.

Next would be the actions of Celestia and Luna, what they did was not only an abuse of power but also willful negligence and in the end all they do is give a weak nonpology? Nothing was done in the end and they get off scott free and that just ticks me off to no extent! More so when I had Issues liek that in school too!

The next one would be Applejacks and Raritys sudden 180 that had no real narrative reasoning behind it other then to force and tie in the edits. It was forced, rocky and completely OOC for how to portrayed them.

The next one would be the CMC's Forgiveness of Rarity and Applejack, while I am all for Forgiveness and second chances, what they did would have broken ALL trust not only as family but as siblings. It was a Cop Out that quite frankly felt forced.

The final one would be Sunset breaking off her friendship with her friends and siding with the CMC, at no point does that come up later down the line as resolved. In fact it seems to have been completely forgotten.


In all reality, some of the blame falls to the commentors (myself included) in how we reacted to what happened as the story started getting Dark. It was a Shock factor for a good few I think and I think our reactions to it colored your perception into the negative. Due to this you decided to change things mid story and it SHOWS. I just want to say that I LIKED how it was going, it was a change of pace to see the CMC NOT be Anon-a-Miss for once. I thought even in Canon that it was stuiped, when the story started to take a sudden turn for the Dark I welcomed it as it FIT with the narrative of the story.

In conclusion: It was good up until about midway though and then took a Nosedive down a bladed editing pit. It did such a harsh 180 that I am sure the PLANET started spinning in the other direction! Hell I am sure I am NOT the only one who got sudden whiplash.

9653665
I agree with you. When I saw the negative reaction to chapter 6, I panicked and reworked some of it, which may explain the uneven tone.

9653661
A friend of mine wrote it. A pity.

9653665
THANK YOU!!! Oh man! This actually how i feel! Finally someone was able to express what I failed to do.

I totally agree with how it went. There suppose to be a follow up he said, not sure i want to give ti a chance thou.
Sorry but that how i feel.

9653672


It wasn't Negative reaction, I for one have not seen ANY Anon-a-Miss story show stuff like that so it was a shock at first. It was amazing how well you captured the depression of false accusation and what it can lead to.


A friend of mine once said "Ponies in MLP tend to go to one extreme or the other, to them there is NO middle ground" That was proven here with the extreme reactions of all involved.

If I had to make a suggestion? I would say go back and completely redo the story and bring it back to what you first wanted to do. If you don't want to do that? then do ANOTHER story where the ending of this one was a Dream in that one and shows what you REALLY wanted to write before you panicked.

But that's just my Suggestion.

9653679

I will be giving it a Chance, I just couldn't abandon one of his stories just because this one didn't go like we thought it was supposed to.

9653683
Hmmmmm yeah...I may give ti a chance, maybe just maybe he can fix the actual story itself with a follow up.
.....maybe.

9653680
I've got a couple of other projects I'm currently working on, but this will be redone.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you thought I captured the trauma accurately. I thought it was slightly clichèd, to be honest.

9653691


Cool, I can't wait to see what you do next!

Any Idea's on when your next project will be ready for us?

9653719
My next project will start posting on Monday. It's part of my Railway Adventure timeline (or my EqG continuity) so you may want to read those first.

9653812
Well, what did you think of the story?

9653921
Any other thoughts on this story?

9653971
OK. But I'm gmad to see you enjoyed it.

9654062
Shall we try and get this story up to 1000 comments?

9654090
Hop de dop de dop de dee!

9654261
Yep. Equestrian magic has become the new 'dog ate my homework' in Canterlot.

9654261

In all honesty? It was only slightly worse then how Sunset was treated in Canon.

9654437
That changing VAs is a trope.

9654266
I still think Discord would have been a better fit. I mean, if you look at a lot of the dialogue with this mindset, it practically screams it.

9654633
I see. I'll consign that idea to my collection.

You said you may rewrite the entire thing. And you are following with a follow up or a sequel. I'm going to advise on that.

DON'T! Just don't follow up,
Instead rewrite the last two chapters. I'm assuming the last two chapters where everything went from making sense to Happy Happy Joy Joy junkyard of confusion.
The flaws were pointed out, ad you confessed you panicked when everyone got upset over the dark material.
So you changed the ending and theme all the sudden.

Explained so much now, felt weird and off, and made no sense what so ever.

I honestly think a follow up can;'t be done, you already changed the theme in such a weird manner, how can you fix it in a sequel?
Heck the bit on how AppleBloom can't be around AJ unless there others with her, and Sweetie Bell eating habits changed now, it's sooo WEIRD!
It doesn't fit with the HAPPY HAPPY ending at all you wrote it all mixed messages and strange.

She goes out of her way to keep AJ from getting punished in the proper manner makes even less sense! She says she forgave AppleJack yet afraid to be around her, and yeah i'm sure you are going to try and explain it away, but be honest it very out of place.
Rarity punishment was pretty weak and so was her apology, as wella s Celestia and Luna which I know could been a lot better but felt like you just wanted to get ti over with.



So yeah i say rewrite the last few chapters and write it way you originally were going to end it, I'm dying to know how it would been.

9655627
Thanks for the tips, buddy. I'll add them in when I rewrite this.

Login or register to comment