• Published 24th Oct 2012
  • 5,208 Views, 165 Comments

Death Becomes Her - Total Eclipse



The villainous human Kokusho breaks out of Tartarus and seeks to take his rightful place as ruler of the World.

  • ...
26
 165
 5,208

Arc 1-1 (Awakening)

Without definite leadership, the ponies have fallen into anarchy. What can I do about this? I was struck by an idea. Some ponies worship the sun and others, the moon. So I raised my left hand in a gesture I haven’t made a while and said “Power of the Creator.” I summoned up the moon dust and the fires of the sun then shaped them into ponies superior to all others in every way. These two new ponies are taller, more majestic and possess both wings and horns. The one made from sun fire I made with a radiant white coat and fierce magenta eyes. I made her mane and tail every color in the rainbow then bleached them into a minty hue. On her flank, I placed an image of the sun. The one made from moon dust, I colored midnight blue and gave her eye's of the most beautiful teal I could imagine. I made her mane and tail out of pure energy and colored it two shades of blue, within it a made stars twinkle like the night sky. On her flank I place the image of a crescent moon in the night sky. I dubbed them alicorns.

It took about a week to temper their minds in a way that could handle eternal life; I made them just as human as all the other ponies, except with more charisma, more leadership skills, and keener minds. During that time I had to give them enough power to be superior to every other pony, but not so much so as to upset the balance too much. I decided on giving them access to all pony abilities and the ability to control the Sun and Moon in an emergency. I named the white one Celestia, and the blue one Luna. They were ready, so I wiped their minds and sent them down to earth.

-Kokusho’s Journal,

Year 1012, month 5, week 4, day 2

-Awakening-

Kokusho’s anger seethed out from under the Gates of Tartarus like poisonous gas, he had finally gathered enough power break his slumber. Waves of pure hatred created writhing black tendrils that lapped at the massive titanite doors, snaking their way between any gaps in the structures frame.

“Damn you Celestia, you too Luna,” he said as he gritted his teeth. “How dare they?”

Kokusho, even after nearly three thousand years of slumber, was still perplexed as to where his creations obtained the strength to overpower and banish him. He didn’t remember creating those wretched crystals. The Elements of Harmony, as Celestia called them. It didn’t matter anyway though, he had learned his lesson. The first time he didn’t use his full power, and because of it he paid the price and now he was permanently weakened because of the Elements of Harmony. Luckily, the thousand year time frame in which the elements were apparently inert gave him the time to gather up a considerable amount of power. Still though, compared to what he used to be, he was nothing now.

The black tendrils continued to work their way through the mystical Gate in front of him. Kokusho was so tired of this place, he’d rather be dead alongside the rest of his race than spend another moment behind the gigantic black doors. Tartarus, is what the ponies called this place, it was apparently where Celestia and Luna banished all of the world’s unmentionable evils. It was place for them to rot and fester in their own darkness. For him to be labeled as some sort of evil entity pissed him off to no end, no matter Kokusho was never one to hold on to anger.

Good did come out of it his predicament though, he made many allies while he slumbered. While his form and powers were mostly inert, his mind could roam freely about the depths of Tartarus. He saw all of the creatures imprisoned with him: Ghouls, shades, vampires, lycans, demons, gorgons, and a myriad of other beasts which must have come about by natural means. He made his presence known, and made the most powerful his allies. He rallied the hordes feelings against Celestia and persuaded them to follow him, the world’s true god.

A smirk crawled across Kokusho’s face as one of his black tendrils worked through the Gates of Tartarus. The eldritch energy lapped at the outside air like a parched deer licks at a watering hole. Latching on to the forces of the outside world, Kokusho disassembled his body and pulled himself through the gate.

They would have their freedom.

Awakening

Luna suddenly became hyper aware, causing her to toss panicked looks around the throne room as her body snapped to attention. Cold sweat formed beads across her brow and matted the fur on her face, the rest of her body shivered violently, as if let out in the tundra. The prickly sensation, at first alien to the midnight blue alicorn was soon met with realization. The feeling was one that she had never thought she would feel in her eternal life; it was a psychic link, a mind’s eye of sorts, the purpose of which was to alert her if the Gates of Tartarus were ever compromised.

The alert was blaring in her mind louder than a volcanic eruption.

Immediately, Luna teleported from the throne room directly to Celestia’s. Already It had begun, her teleport was sloppy and required far too much energy, proof of that what her senses told had had indeed occurred.

“CELESTIA!” Luna cried out, utilizing the royal Canterlot voice.

Celestia’s eyes snapped open and she leapt out of bed like a frightened cat and backpedaled into the corner closest to her bed. Her hooves scratched against the hardwood floor as she attempted to fully come to her sense and find her balance and her mane stood straight up from the sudden rush of excitement.

“What?!” Celestia yelled nervously. She blinked the the dream world out of her eyes and saw that only her younger sister stood before her.

“Why on earth would you do that Luna?” She said as she held a hoof to her chest. Celestia’s breathing slowed to a normal pace and mane resumed it normal flow as the adrenaline slowly left her system.

“Celestia,” she said trying to remain calm. “T-the Gates of Tartarus, their o-opening.”

“Impossible, the only being who would be able to-” Luna cut her sister off, accidentally.

“Surely you feel it, the waning of your powers?” Luna’s eyes fell down to the floor intent on looking at the divot she a pawed out. “He’s trying to get out.”

“We have to go, immediately.”

“It’s impossible for us to make the journey fast enough,” she said shaking her head. “He’s suppressing so much of my power, it was taxing just to teleport here from my chambers. We’d never be able to teleport to Tartarus.”

The Sun Princess's head sank, as she thought of the implications of what Luna was telling her. Just as her sister had stated, she could feel his spiteful ethereal grip on her magic. Her temper mane started to flicker between it's minty rainbow shades and solid pink as her magical strength waned. Luna's condition wasn't much better. After a simple teleport the princess of the night was reduced to a quivering mess. Overcome by magical exertion and fear the Princess of the Night finally succumb to the fatigue and collapsed on her sisters bed.

"Luna!" Celestia screamed as she jumped forward and embraced her sister's shivering body.

"H-how is he d-doing t-this?" Luna stammered. The warmth of Celestia's wings draping over her was usually enough to lift her from any concern, but not this time. It was all too much.

"He shouldn't have the power to perform such magic and still have power enough to open the Gates, at least not alone." She said. Luna was pressed close close to Celestia. She could feel the her sister's ragged breaths and quivering muscles. It took everything she had to be strong for Luna and not break down with her.

"We imprisoned him in Tartarus sister, he was never alone." The dark alicorn closed her eyes, the strain had finally taken its toll.

Celestia's eyes widened in horror at the revelation. Enemies from eons ago, forces and being that should have never existed all possibly at his beck and call.

“Damn him,” Celestia slammed her hooves on the floor “Wait, I have an idea. I can’t say I like it, but it’s our only option.” She gripped parchment, an inkwell, and a quill in her telekinetic grip and began to hastily scribble out a message. Usually, even in the face of great threats such as Discord she retains her composure, but this was much worse than a playful spirit of disharmony.

She finished the letter and scratched down her signature, The alicorn eyed the parchment to make sure she had spared no detail, satisfied she focused whatever magic she could gather. Coating the paper in a golden yellow glow, and teleported the letter away.

Awakening

The letter arrived at Twilight’s library not even an hour ago, but the purple unicorn had already headed out into the night towards the Gates of Tartarus. Upon reading how her princess thought something was wrong at the gates and that she should look into it Twilight dropped everything she was doing and set out. Normally she would have read the entire letter thoroughly, but ever since Cerberus, The gate guardian of Tartarus, had shown up in Ponyville studying Tartarus had become somewhat of a closet obsession for Twilight. What could possibly be behind that gate that would require such a creature to guard it? So, foolishly she had dashed out of the library with nothing more than her saddlebags, ink, quills, and parchment. She left the letter on the floor.

Spike, her number one assistant, walked over to the discarded paper, rolling his eyes he picked it up to his face.

“Hmm, I promised I wouldn’t read Twilight’s letters unless she asked me too…” Even though he told himself that, his little claws were slowly pulling the scroll open. “well since it’s already open.” He said with a sideways smirk.

To my faithful student Twilight Sparkle,

Luna has felt a powerful magical disturbance coming from the Gates of Tartarus. I would like to entrust you, with the task of investigating the nature of the disturbance. I would like you to document and report your findings to me. I really wish that I did not have you to do this for us, but you are the only other pony who knows where Tartarus is.

Do not go alone Twilight, I have a terrible feeling about this, gather your friends for this trip and if anything seems awry, you are to abort your investigation.

Signed,

Princess Celestia

“Oh boy.” Spike groaned. The direction Twilight had run off from the library says that she didn’t even get past the first part of the letter, seeing as she wasn’t headed towards any of their friends’ homes. “I need to send the Princess a letter.”

Awakening

The sight at the Tartarus Gates was anything but satisfactory for Twilight Sparkle. The dark magic in the air made her hairs stand on end and dulled her senses. It was like being drunk, she felt confident, like she could do anything. No, not anything, Celestia sent her here on and task, a task that she would complete. She slowly sifted through the underbrush in an attempt to a get a better look at the Gates.

Twilight poked her head up through a bush and scanned the surrounding area for the source of the malicious, intoxicating energy. Slowly turning her head from left to right, she inspected the massive black barricade. Cerberus was nowhere to be found, tipping off the mare's danger senses immediately Her fur started to stand on end as her eyes continued to search for any sign of trou-

What the hay is that!? Twilight thought. She eyed the strange creature up and down, it was biped, and its body was completely covered by clothes. It looked to be about six feet tall from where Twilight was standing. Like Spike it had, what appeared to be hands, but this creature had five digits, whereas the mare’s assistant only hand four. The creature’s mane was Jet black, and was slicked back, but a few stray bangs had fallen across its face. The young mare’s legs began to quiver uncontrollably as she noticed something from the being that she hadn’t noticed before, he was smoking. Its flesh and hair all seemed to trail away from its body as ghastly wisp and eventually fade away; it was as if the creature were made of mist. Inspecting the creature more closely, she let her gaze glide across its arms and back to its hands. Shadowy tendrils poured from its fingertips and started to bore into the surface of the Gates.

Her eyes widened in horror as two and two clicked: the disgusting power leaking from Tartarus, the magic pouring from the creatures fingertips…It was opening the gates! Twilight gulped hard at the thought of what kind of power the creature must wield to be able to open the Gates of Tartarus. Opening the gates was difficult and tiring for even Princess Celestia, yet here was this thing doing it in what appeared to be a casual manner. She took a single nervous step back, she had to tell Celestia about this now.

A sound resembling the crunching of old bones echoes eeriely through the clearing.

Stupid Twilight. She yelled internally. She looked back at the twig she had broken with her hoof and slowly lifted the appendage as if she had stepped into the most disgusting substance in Equestria. She slowly looked back to where the creature was, hoping that it hadn’t heard the sound.

The creature was staring directly at her, its ice blue eyes drilling into her mind. Twilight let out a freaked out squeal and closed her eyes. She gathered her magic and prepared her teleport spell, it wouldn’t get her home, but it would at least put a few miles between her and it. Her horn started to glow with the familiar purple light signifying the unicorn’s spell casting. She felt the magical energies and latched on to them with her mind. The energy exploded in her mind then…nothing. She had the spell just a thought ago, but now the magic had just fizzled away like a drop of water on a hot skillet.

Slowly, she felt herself rise up and out from the brush. There was no glow around her, but the feeling in Twilight’s chest told her that this was magic, ancient and powerful, the likes of which she hadn’t feel since Discord was loose. Her body quaked violently as she floated forward, looking up she stared directly into the eyes of the creature as she drew ever nearer. She saw no anger or malice, in its eyes, not even a twinge of hate, just sadness and disappointment. After a second of floating forward in suffocating silence, Twilight was face to face with the creature.

“Hello my little pony,” He said as he moved her face to meet his. “Come to greet your creator face to face?”

“Wha-who are you?” She asked shakily.

An amused smirked formed across his face “Wow, it seems like after everything that happened Celestia or Luna would have at least mentioned me.” He waved a finger playfully in Twilight’s face. “Tsk, tsk I’d expect something in the history books about Kokusho…actually, scratch that, the little incident was pretty isolated. Still to not mention their father, the nerve.” He said shrugging.

“I told you my name, so come on, what’s yours?” His tone was playful and casual.

“T-Twilight Sparkle, student of Princess Celestia.”

“Ah, so she has a protégé now?” He said teasingly.

“Why are you opening The Gates of Tartarus? Don’t you know what’s behind there!?” She yelled, determined to get to the bottom of the creatures goals, her fear starting to wane.

“I know exactly what’s on the other side of that door.” His face twisted into a disgusted scowl. “Sadly, my powers aren’t as strong as they use to be so I need what’s behind there.”

“If you open that gate ponies will die!” The mare pleaded.

He sighed audibly. “If your princesses had just listened to me it wouldn’t have had to come to this. What I’m doing here is best for Equestria.”

Twilight had stopped shivering a while ago. Kokusho's casual mannerisms and tone of voice put the mare at ease. Even though this creature was opening the gates none of that dark, murderous power that she could feel from the Gates was flowing from the being in front of her. She did, however, look at him with much confusion and disbelief. She focused on her magic and tried to feel for any small indication that it was still there, after about a second of intense concentration she found a small fragment of power that was safely tucked away deep within the core of her being. Reaching out to this power, she teleported herself out of the creature’s magical grip and onto the ground below her, she pointed a hoof at the creature in an accusing manner and narrowed her gaze.

“I won’t let y……………”

Kokusho didn’t hear a damn thing that Twilight was saying, he was too taken aback by the fact that she had just used magic despite the fact that he had cut her magical abilities. His eyes glowed with a faint purple color as he used his magic to look beyond the unicorn’s flesh and into her existential ley lines. There at the center of her being, pulsing strong was a source of power that had integrated itself into the small pony. With each pulse it radiated a familiar energy, one that made Kokusho cringe reflexively.

“Elements of Harmony…” He stated coldly.

“How do you know about those?” Twilight questioned.

“You have them?”

“One of them, I’m the element of magic.” The mare stated proudly.

Kokusho knew next to nothing about the Elements, but the one thing he did know was that when they defeated him it had been six of them together. Closing his eyes and sighing, he came to a decision, one that would tear at his heart forever. If he could neutralize at least one of the elements the threat would be either gone, or severely weakened. I knew this wasn’t going to be pretty, but damn...

“Why are you staring at me like that?” She took a step back.

“I’m sorry Twilight,” He said as he manifested a large blue set of burning magical claws on his right hand. Stars flickered in and out within the magic construct and the excess magic trailed of each bladed end and evaporated in the air.

“Sorry for wh-” Her own shrieks cut her question short as the unicorn threw up a defensive barrier, a reflex she instilled into herself just in case she was ever attacked.

A bright flash illuminated the area as energy collided with energy. The light lasted for barely a heartbeat as Kokusho’s massive aetheral claws tore through Twilight’s shield as if it weren’t even there. Her pitiful power was no match for his eldritch might. The starry blades raked across the mare’s head shredding the left side of her face and completely ripping off her lower lip. She wanted to scream, but couldn’t. The blades continued raking down, eventually reaching her throat. Five burning blades sunk into her flesh and tore out her wind pipe, leaving Twilight standing up right and gurgling like a crab.

It was over before the light from the clash had even dissipated. Twilight lay in an ever growing pool of her own life fluid, the life fading from her eyes with each passing second. Kokusho stood over her and dispelled his claws.

Awakening

Everything was so blurry and muffled, her senses betrayed her. She couldn’t feel anything: Her hooves were numb, her body felt heavy, and her head felt light. She couldn’t even think clearly anymore, ideals and thoughts came to her in fragments…she didn’t understand what was happening. Her eyes slowly lowered to the dirt and suddenly she noticed how wet her face felt and that one of her eyes didn’t work. Red extended on the ground all around her. A brief moment of clarity came over her as she realized what had happened to her. With each passing moment the unicorn’s eyelids grew heavier, and her heartbeat grew weaker.

Kokusho knelt down over the Twilight and put his hand on her mauled face and brushed her mane gently to the side. “If only there were a better way,” he whispered into her ear as she closed her eyelids.

Heh, I’m not getting out of this one…Looks like curiosity finally killed the mare. She thought as the she faded into silence and darkness.