• Published 26th Jul 2012
  • 2,284 Views, 20 Comments

Just The Best of You. - TrebleClef91



A short story starring Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo.

  • ...
3
 20
 2,284

Reliving Memories

The night was peaceful and silent, brief breezes of air gently brushing the curtains on Rainbow Dash’s windows, but peace wasn’t something Scootaloo’s little mind wasn’t acquainted these days. The little filly wasn’t able to sleep at all; when she could finally fall asleep she was woken abruptly due to nightmare, nightmares where she was flying and her wings disappeared all of the sudden followed by laughter and mockery: “You fool, chickens cannot fly!”, “Give it up, you are useless!”, foals and grown up ponies alike surrounding and laughing at her, her little brain even made her imagine her own parents looking away from her saying the worst words a child could hear from her own parents: “You are a disgrace for this family” and with those words they flew away leaving their daughter alone. She woke up shivering, eyes full of tears and sobbing, she couldn’t handle to hear her parents say those words, she knew it was a dream but that didn’t made it any less painful. Rainbow Dash was woken up when she heard Scootaloo crying, sobbing and by her loud, quick breathing.

“You okay there, kid?” asked Rainbow Dash as she turned the lamp on her table night on in order to see the little filly on the floor next to her bed.

“Y-y-yeah, I’m fine” answered Scootaloo turning away from Rainbow Dash, she didn’t want her idol to see her cry so she tried to calm herself, but with no success.

“If you are fine, why are you crying then?” asked Rainbow Dash looking at Scootaloo with worried eyes, she didn’t like to see anypony in that emotional state.

“It’s… it’s nothing, really”, answered Scootaloo sniffing and wiping away the tears that had accumulated on her eyes.


Rainbow Dash wasn’t good when it comes to sentimental matters or at least that was what she wanted the other to believe and seeing that filly in such state was heartbreaking and she wasn’t heartless. She got down her bed and slowly walked towards Scootaloo, who was trying to calm down, but it was futile, those nightmares and the thoughts about feeling of being useless her overtaking her sanity, she couldn’t take it anymore.

Rainbow Dash was approaching Scootaloo slowly; she knew neither what to do nor what to say. Scootaloo heard Rainbow’s slow steps and jumped directly to her, that was something she wouldn’t do, she wanted somepony to rely on, somepony to take care of her.

“Whoa, easy there kid” said Rainbow looking at Scootaloo who was holding her right foreleg and pressing her face against it. Seeing the little filly crying, sobbing and pressing herself harder and harder on her foreleg was something Rainbow Dash couldn’t stand, it was just too heartbreaking.

Rainbow Dash wrapped Scootaloo under her wing and lowered her head placing her chin on Scootaloo’s head.
“It’s okay, let it all out”, said Rainbow Dash pressing Scootaloo against her with her wing. Scootaloo snuggled between Rainbow’s wing and body still shivering every time she remembered that dream, still sobbing every time she ran out of air on her endless crying. Few more minutes passed and Scootaloo was regaining her self-control again just with some occasional sobs.

“Are you feeling better now?” asked Rainbow when Scootaloo was finally calm.

“I-I… I think so”, said Scootaloo wiping away the last tears on her eyes.

“So, you want to talk about it?” asked Rainbow Dash hoping she could help on any way.

“No! I-I mean, no, let’s just leave it that way” said Scootaloo quickly and almost shouting, “It’s nothing to worry about”

“You wouldn’t have made such a show about it if it was just nothing” said Rainbow on her last effort to made Scootaloo “spill the soup”

“Well, it’s just that… I…”, Scootaloo closed her eyes ready to hear Rainbow’s laugh after she tells her what happened, “… I had a bad dream.”

“That’s all? That’s not a big deal, I mean, you’re a filly anyway those things happen it’s just somet…” Rainbow Dash stopped in the middle of her sentence when she understood what the little orange filly really meant to say, “Oh… was it about… you know, your parents?

Scootaloo fell in silence; she didn’t want to revive that dream, that horrible, painful dream.

“I know that feeling” said Rainbow Dash lowering her head, closed her eyes and began digging through her own memories of her fillyhood, “You know, before learning how to fly I used to leave in wherever I could, street, under a bench or even in abandoned buildings. Every night I had nightmares which involve my parents, my subconscious made an imaginary picture of my parents, I’m not sure why they leave me but it was not fair, parents should not abandon their sons or daughter to their own, that’s just so… so hard to believe, I can’t believe there are people out there who still make this” Rainbow Dash’s voice began to decrease as she tell her story, it was just too much pain to revive.

“At least you learned how to fly, but me, I’m just useless. I can’t even fly for about 6 meters” said Scootaloo still looking to the ground watching her tears splash on the ground.

“Maybe, but you, you have friends who take care of you, when I was a filly I had nothing, neither friends nor family nor anypony to be by my side when I was broken”, Rainbow Dash let out a tear which freely rolled its way down her cheek, “But now, now I have the others to keep me company when times get hard, and I will always be here for you, I know that I’m not the best with words but I’m here for everypony who needs help”

Rainbow’s words echoed on Scootaloo’s mind “I will always be here for you”, that was all she ever wanted, somepony who take care of her, somepony she could rely on.

“You really mean that?” asked Scootaloo raising her head to see Rainbow’s eyes, she saw nothing more than pure honesty, but she wanted to hear her say it.

Rainbow Dash rubbed Scootaloo’s head nodding and giving her a warm smile, “Of course I mean it; I will never let anything happen to you or anyone else of my friends.”

Scootaloo hugged Rainbow Dash once more; those were the best words somepony have told her in her entire life and being told by her lifelong idol made it even better. They were both in silence, no words needed to be said, the only thing that Scootaloo care about was being with her idol, she now knew she will always have somepony who would take care of her and would be by her side on both good and bad times.

“We should go back to sleep, we have a long day tomorrow” said Rainbow Dash standing up from the floor.

“Yeah, maybe we should” said Scootaloo also standing up and walking toward her improvised bed.

“Forget that, come on you can sleep here” said Rainbow pointing her own bed.

Scootaloo’s eyes widened at Rainbow’s offer, she couldn’t help but smile before running to the bed. Both of them lay on the bed ready for sleeping the whole night, well, the rest of it. Scootaloo snuggled close to Rainbow Dash, normally she couldn’t stand that amount of affection but what can she do, Scootaloo was just a little filly anyways, besides her affection to the purple colored mane filly was also growing.

“Goodnight, kid” said Rainbow Dash with a loud yawn but there was no answer, Scootaloo was already asleep. Rainbow Dash let out a sigh in relief and smile again, “Yeah, goodnight, little one.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Finally chapter 4 is done. Sorry for the long time I made you wait but I have like, almost no free time for writing and I’m having some difficulties in my goddamn life but I’m getting through them pretty well.

Next chapter will take less time to be released (I hope) I’ll try to make it as fast as I can.

Thanks for your time and thanks for being patient. Love you all.

Comments ( 3 )

awww:fluttercry::heart: awesome job dude awesome job *slowly claps*

1053740 Glad someone liked it. The ending was supposed to be different, but I ran out of ideas. Next chapter will be better.

Login or register to comment