• Published 9th Mar 2018
  • 8,681 Views, 185 Comments

Sunset's Second Round of Childhood - fmriver



The elements of Harmony are able to turn magical beings of unequal power to stone, exile opponents to the moon! Using one against a possessed teenager may have been overkill?

  • ...
14
 185
 8,681

Welcome to Canterlot

The rest of the trip to Canterlot was quiet, and not much was spoken about after Celestia answered Sunset’s questions. The Sister’s seemed tense around each other, while the little filly moped about a bit after being told she had been missing for twice as long as she had been alive. Fifteen years was a long time, never mind for a seven year old. Celestia had let her snuggle in her fore hooves, and had pet her like a kitten while she came to terms with this.

Sunset's thoughts kept returning to the chapter she had read earlier surrounding the crystal empire time travel tragedy. She knew that it wouldn’t be that bad for her, but some of the things that those ponies went through, the loss of family outside the city limits, the fact that a lot of what they knew was gone or different. At least her mentor hadn't given up on her and gotten a replacement. Sunset focused on the fact that Celestia still wanted her, and she could handle this as long as that was true.

Her feelings of being lost were compounded by their arrival to the palace. Celestia and Luna were forced to leave Sunset with Celestia’s current secretary as they went off to perform their duties in moving the sun and moon respectively. Instead of the older mare she had known, Celestia had apparently replaced Inkwell with her niece, a Ms Feather Quill.

The changes didn’t stop there. The palace had new drapes and pennants in purples and blues, and lunar motifs dotted the palace. The stained glass windows in the main hallways had been changed. She knew that these were done to honor heroic deeds that saved Equestria, and she didn't recognize most of the ones in the entrance to the throne room. The worse was yet to come however. She followed miss Raven Inkwell towards what seemed to be her bedroom quarters, however before reaching her old room doors, Inkwell veered off until they got to a completely different room. “What happened to my old room and all my stuff?”

“This will be your quarters from today onwards little miss.” miss Raven stated as she opened the door to a well decorated, if bland, room. Sunset stood still, out in the hallway.

"Can-I want to see my old room please?" Sunset stuttered as she backed away. The secretary raised an eyebrow, before simply walking back out and leading the filly back to the older rooms. The rooms were quite close to each other, so soon enough miss Feather Quill was once again opening the doors, and once again Sunset found herself stuck in the hallway as she gathered her courage. She forced herself to walk in this time and look around.

Her old chambers seem to have been painted since she last stayed here, the cheerful murals gone, and a bland beige color everywhere. All her things were gone. Even the bed was different. It looked spartan, like any of the other empty guest rooms in the palace. She slowly inspected the room, but they had left no trace of her life in here.

These rooms had once had a beautiful mural that had started off as simple meadows, but to which she had enjoyed making additions to every year. Her bookshelf had all her souvenirs and gifts from different places that the Princess took her to. Her journal and other personal items, all gone.

It seemed as if Sunset had been erased completely. It may be silly, but Sunset felt hurt that the princess hadn't kept her room as it was. She'd explored the palace more than enough to know plenty of other rooms, left untouched for decades. It made her feel as if her mentor had given up on ever rescuing Sunset.

The only thing she found to prove she had lived here in these rooms for 2 years was her carved cutie mark in the back of the closet. Sunset's ears had drooped, and her hoof steps felt very heavy.

Raven took the young filly back to her new rooms, this time getting her full, if somber, cooperation. The secretary helped Sunset carefully set up her things from the Crystal Empire on her new shelves. She even asked Sunset what she would like changed in the new rooms, though for the most part Sunset wasn't very sure.

She almost asked if they could paint a copy of the mural that had been in her original rooms, but thought better of it. That one had been added to by Sunset and the princess, with little scenes to commemerate special occasions since Sunset was chosen.

A copy of the mural wouldn't be the same. None of the memories would be associated, and it would be a waste of time. Thinking on it a bit more, she would t mind working on a new mural however. After they had finished putting everything away, Raven looked at her notepad.

"Sunset, I know it's getting close to your bed time, but there's one last thing we need to get done before you retire for the evening. We have pediatric physician... uh... we have a doctor on premise, and they just need to give you a quick check up all right?"


Comments ( 42 )

Poor Sunset. I hope they break the whole Twilight thing gently to Sunset or it will hurt her fragile psyche. I hope Celestia is ready this time for how much Sunset is going to push.

Oh, ouch. I really hope Celestia took that part of the wall and put it somewhere. Because if she just covered it up when Sunset ran, well that would probably have hurt even Canon Sunset, really.

Twilight's past is going to be one hell of a landmine too. I do not.see this ending well.

I fear Luna is going to be busy tonight with Sunset's dreams.

So is it Raven or Feather? As you say Inkwell was changed to Feather Quill but then say she was lead off by Inkwell.

Considering how much of annoyance (rarely) or pure rage (generally) stories like this give me, I can only bemoan the lack of filters/settings once more.

Even if, strangely enough, most people do consider permanent memory/personality erasure as anything else but murder, it's just one of the cases. Why can't we apply permanent filters to hide stories that we don't want to see again? **deep sigh**

It back it back:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

9701825
Lol that uncomfortable feeling is so etching I want to explore more in this story. Is this just amnesiac Sunset, is this effectively a new person, is this permanent, is it possible for her to get some or all of her memories back?

The fact that this is, if permanent, in a way the death of the Sunset that was, is actually something I do want to explore in the story. Celestia isn't 2D and just hoping Sunset doesn't remember so she can have a happy do over... She's wracked with guilt that part of her is enjoying having a young Sunset. Part of her is also sad that Sunset doesn't remember most of her life as Celestials student (it's why I used age 7 rather than like 15-17) Celestia is going to struggle with reacting and recalling how Sunset was at 7 vs 10 vs 14 vs 16.

There's also this cloud hanging over them about the moral decisions to either try and cure her, or not.

you're back! yay!

holy crap! it's been a year? whatcha been up to?

9701825
Firstly, nobody forces you to read these. Just avert your eyes if you can't take it.
Secondly, you should take that up with site staff instead of commenting on a random story.
Thirdly, how the hell would that feature be implemented? That would require to somehow define major story elements for every story on the site!

9701434
Yeah, Sunset knows it's been 15 years but it's hard to internalize it. From her perspective she has heard that Twilight is a former student of Celestia's, and actually has assumed that Twilight was before her (twilight senpai!). None of this is really going to be cleared up for Sunset for a while.

9701496

Sunsets room hadn't been changed since she left. The issue is that Sunset had lived there for years beyond age 7, so apart of the instructions to Canterlot from Celestia before they left the Crystal Empire, she had them basically hide all the stuff as Sunset doesn't know she has memory loss.

9701911
Implementation is very easy btw. A) Option to manually add a story to “not display” folder. Then have a site check if the option is set before displaying the stories or not. Like favorites, but the reversal with 1 additional check (or a few, depending on exact code).

B) Even more easy with filters. Like ignore all “naruto” crossovers.

And btw, it’s not like I hate that such stories exist or anything like that. I just want to filter out stories that are clearly not for me in favor of those that I want to read. And I dont mind marking a few thousand stories manually for personal convenience.

9701879
**shrugs**
Honestly, I don't mind this theme by itself. Just the cases when it's treated as "no harm's done" or with too much emphasis on it's positive sides if any while neglecting the full implications thereof. I also think that it by itself warrants a rating beyond "E", if taking even remotely seriously, among other things.

And personally, I just read stories for characters. In fanfics it's _certain_ characters. Or at least their potential at certain points in timeline, like for example pre-reformed Sunset is generally much more interesting to me than a late-canon one. And having their personality heavily edited is usually a big turnoff in that regard. Not my cup of tea in general, I guess.

GLHF anyways.

Ouch, tons of untouched rooms and that one was erased...... Dang. :applecry:

At least her mentor hadn't given up on her and gotten a replacement.

How long until she learns Twilight is (or was) Celestia's student? She's not going to take the news well. :twilightoops:

Also, yay, it lives! :yay:

9702122

I think it was quite a jerkass move that the mural was painted on, more so since until Sunset stole the crown Sunset only "crime" was running away to another universe. And the stealing of the crown was quite recent.

Huzzah an Update! Though the emotional gut punch first thing in the morning I could do without. Most stories have Celestia preserving Sunset's room in case she returned interesting that it's not the case here and boy the truth is going to destroy her.

At least her mentor hadn't given up on her and gotten a replacement.

Aww poor little thing

The changes didn’t stop there. The palace had new drapes and pennants in purples and blues, and lunar motifs dotted the palace. The stained glass windows in the main hallways had been changed. She knew that these were done to honor heroic deeds that saved Equestria, and she didn't recognize most of the ones in the entrance to the throne room. The worse was yet to come however. She followed miss Raven Inkwell towards what seemed to be her bedroom quarters, however before reaching her old room doors, Inkwell veered off until they got to a completely different room. “What happened to my old room and all my stuff?”

In the paragraph above you said something totally different.

Her feelings of being lost were compounded by their arrival to the palace. Celestia and Luna were forced to leave Sunset with Celestia’s current secretary as they went off to perform their duties in moving the sun and moon respectively. Instead of the older mare she had known, Celestia had apparently replaced Inkwell with her niece, a Ms Feather Quill.

____________________

A copy of the mural wouldn't be the same. None of the memories would be associated, and it would be a waste of time. Thinking on it a bit more, she would t mind working on a new mural however. After they had finished putting everything away, Raven looked at her notepad.

wouldn't
_____________

9701879

Considering how much of annoyance (rarely) or pure rage (generally) stories like this give me, I can only bemoan the lack of filters/settings once more.

Even if, strangely enough, most people do consider permanent memory/personality erasure as anything else but murder, it's just one of the cases. Why can't we apply permanent filters to hide stories that we don't want to see again? **deep sigh**

All right. I will respond to this exceptionally interesting comment with as much restraint and decorum as I possibly can. Your opinion has been noted and taken into consideration. However, I would like to point out that some things DESERVE to be forgotten.

From my own personal experience, If I could forget about the fact that my biological mother left the family for someone who had hurt my older sister, I would eagerly jump at the chance. Unfortunately, I can't. If I could forget about the fact that my grandfather made it so that my great-grandmother, his OWN mother, who at the time had dementia, died in a nursing home instead of being taken care of at her own house by my father, who was planning on doing this, just so my grandfather could sell my great-grandmother's house, I would eagerly jump at the chance. Unfortunately, I can't. If I could forget about the fact that my father forgave his father, the man who left his own mother to die in a nursing home instead of in her own home when she had dementia, for doing exactly that, I would. Unfortunately, I can't. From off the top of my head, if you were raped, wouldn't you want to forget that? How about physical abuse? Mental abuse? Emotional abuse? How about if someone close to you was murdered? If your child died in an accident? If your child committed suicide? If someone close to you committed suicide? If your life partner committed suicide? If your life partner cheated on you? So, yes, some things deserve to be forgotten. Besides which, we have stories on here in which murder actually happens. Sometimes to individuals who deserve it, and sometimes to individuals who don't. Only murder is murder. Everything else is anything else. Besides all of that, my father has a medical condition known as Transient Epileptic Amnesia, which can cause him to have seizures that wipe out years of his memory/personality for a while after he has them, and that can permanently wipe out memories even after he 'recovers'. Does this mean that he has been murdered and that I should not worry about the thing that has been left in his place? Does this mean that I should just let, according to what you have said about 'permanent memory erasure', the thing that has 'taken' his place die? Again I posit, only murder is murder. Everything else is anything else, given that the two words are the same, or have the same meaning. In this case, this type of event would be closer to a metamorphosis.

Please... please say there's more coming? I'm having a blast reading this particular AU.

This is an absolute wonderful little story, and a great start. I hope you continue to work on it.

9960846

Is more of a snip actually, I really should repost it somewhere.

9721560
I don't see what that has to do with complaining about lack of filter.
Also that wall of text makes it harder to read so could you maybe use (Enter) bit more? Please?

Plz update

Nice story so far with lots of potential. I hope you will continue this
.

9702265
Yes the mural was painted over, but that alos brings up an important question. Did princess Celestia order it to be painted over or did Sunset do it in her later years, which she can't remember anymore???

It seem like a nice story, one long before Sunset lost her way, but as stated a second chance at life to become a better pony.

I love this story its really cute and you did a great job at creating it. I really do love it and hope you continue it because its adorable and I just love it so far :)

Sunset's thoughts kept returning to the chapter she had read earlier surrounding the crystal empire time travel tragedy. She knew that it wouldn’t be that bad for her, but some of the things that those ponies went through, the loss of family outside the city limits, the fact that a lot of what they knew was gone or different. At least her mentor hadn't given up on her and gotten a replacement. Sunset focused on the fact that Celestia still wanted her, and she could handle this as long as that was true.

OH NO

9701825
Nobody forced you to read this?

9260677
Luna did nothing wrong so far. From what im seeing she's actually trying to make Celestia realize that what she has is a gift, and so far it just seems like Celestia is using it to redo being a mentor despite the fact she somehow admitted to herself that shes raising Sunset whilst also not even giving her the privilege of calling her mom or mother.

10231711
Actually, Celestia had it painted over and cleared out just a few days ago, so after Sunset Shimmer returned as a filly. Reason is that it would be harder to explain years' worth of updates to the mural plus changes in posters, reading material etc... and no good way to 'revert' them to what the current Sunset would expect.

Better (in Celestia's mind) to wipe it away, than to leave a clue that Sunset ALSO lost years worth of memories instead of just getting shot forward in time.

10466963
Yeah, I am taking the perspective of Luna being more in tune to the mind and psych of ponies, due to her dealing with dreams, as well as having to do so much self reflection. Whereas Celestia has a tendency, shown in canon, to simply try to ignore/erase stuff from history.

Kind of hope this gets updated again someday, a really interesting concept.

Sunset's thoughts kept returning to the chapter she had read earlier surrounding the crystal empire time travel tragedy. She knew that it wouldn’t be that bad for her, but some of the things that those ponies went through, the loss of family outside the city limits, the fact that a lot of what they knew was gone or different. At least her mentor hadn't given up on her and gotten a replacement. Sunset focused on the fact that Celestia still wanted her, and she could handle this as long as that was true.

and there is the next problem for celestia to face

Would be nice to see this updated someday. Maybe Celestia can see her Little Sun as an adopted daughter. With Twilight and Luna taking more responsibilities, maybe this time, she would have more time for Sunset.

At least her mentor hadn't given up on her and gotten a replacement.

Yeaaaaaaaah...about that... looks at Twilight...

Um, is this dead, cause it's really good.

11281168

Sadly, it's unlikely I'll return to it and finish it any time soon. Too much IRL things have happened since then that I barely recognize the person that wrote this and it would take a lot of effort to get back to that mental framework where I would be able to write this out (plus have time to do so).

I'm more than happy for any one to adopt this story in whole or in part though! And honestly, I had been thinking about it till even more drama seems to be coming on the horizon of my life...

11282255
Nooooo, just when i wad going to ask to continue

11282255

I'm saddened because it's discontinued, however Im quite interested in making a story similar to this. If the day comes that I might make one, can I have your permission?

The story involving sunset is very lovely and thank you author for this^^

I wanna see more T-T

Login or register to comment