• Published 12th Oct 2017
  • 17,683 Views, 54 Comments

One More Light - MorpheustheDream



Canterlot High and it's residents are going through a real hard time after the truth of Anon-A-Miss comes out. Now they're regretting their actions, all of them. In memory of Chester Bennington, vocalist for Linkin Park. Rest In Peace, Chester.

  • ...
23
 54
 17,683

We All Care

It had been several days since Anon-A-Miss had finally revealed who they truly were. The Crusaders of Canterlot High. They were the ones who caused so much damage and chaos in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

It was supposed to be a time of happiness, but right now, that was the exact of how everyone was feeling at Canterlot High. The suspect during the incident, Sunset Shimmer, had been proven innocent. But that revelation came several days too late.

She had been bullied, called severely harsh names, beaten, and the ones she called friends had abandoned her when she needed them most. And now, the Sunset had finally set, and she wouldn't come back. Sunset Shimmer, had committed suicide. And now, the entire school was feeling regret for what they had done to her. None more than the ones she called friends.

The Rainbooms were sitting in their rooms in their respective homes during Christmas Break, mulling over the things that have transpired, and berating themselves over it. They weren't even bothering to celebrate Christmas. How could they with all that's happened?

Rainbow Dash was the angriest out of them, for abandoning a friend like that. And not only that, it ended up making her lose said friend forever. Mentally, she was punishing herself severely. Physically, she had taken out her frustrations by hitting a punching bag in her family's garage over and over again, going even when her knuckles were bleeding.

Fluttershy was by far the saddest of the group, having been in a relationship with Sunset Shimmer, so hearing that her frie- no, lover had been innocent, it hurt her for not believing her right on the spot when Sunset said that she was innocent. Then, a few days later when news traveled around that Sunset had committed suicide, she was absolutely devastated. Her other friends tried to cheer her up, not knowing that she was going through something much worse than the others. Knowing that only Applejack could relate to losing someone you loved.

Pinkie Pie, the one who always knows how to cheer someone up. Only this time, she couldn't even cheer herself up. She always knew death was a part of life, but she didn't think that it would effect someone she knows so early in their life. Now, her usual bouncy pink hair, was as flat as its ever been. No jokes were being made, and no parties were being planned. That's how bad Pinkie feels.

Applejack, was also taking it pretty hard. She knew what it was like to lose a loved one. After all, she lost her parents when she was pretty young. Hell, she was supposed to represent honesty, but the past couple of days, she didn't feel like she could tell a truth from a lie. She was so dead focused that Sunset went back to her old ways, that she didn't even begin to think that Sunset was telling the truth that day when she came into Sugar Cube Corner. Now she was regretting not knowing Sunset was telling the truth.

Rarity, the Fashionista of the group of friends, had been one of the more harsh of the group to Sunset during the incident at Sugar Cube Corner. She was currently doing anything to not fall asleep. When she does fall asleep, she has nightmares of Sunset, and seeing the photos of her body that were shared throughout all of Canterlot High from the news. It was... disturbing for her. And now she can't get any sleep without seeing those horrible images.

Principal Celestia had been dealing with this incident with her sister, Luna, ever since the problem first appeared. She thought it would just disappear, but after a while, she realized it wouldn't go away. Even worse, she even went as far to believe that it really was Sunset going back to her old ways, which was something she didn't want to think about. But when news came that it wasn't her, she was absolutely relieved. But then several days passed, and Sunset hadn't come to school. She sent a notice to the authorities, putting out a missing person's report just to be safe. The report went onto the news, and she was found the next day, dead. Hearing this, it shattered her heart. Her daughter had killed herself, and she wouldn't be getting her back. She wouldn't be seeing her again.

Vice-Principal Luna had believed her niece was innocent from the very beginning. Even with evidence and all of the fingers being pointed at her. So when she found out that Sunset had killed herself, she swore to her sister that she would do everything to make sure those responsible were punished. And she made sure of that. The Crusaders, the mastermind behind Anon-A-Miss, were given detention for the rest of the school year, and got punished by their respective families severely. The ones who physically hurt her were charged and sentenced for a whole year at least with battery and assault. And the ones who also sent in the secrets to be posted on the Anon-A-Miss page were also punished.

4 days before school started back up, the funeral for Sunset Shimmer was held. Celestia and Luna were there, along with Sunsets friends, and almost the entirety of the town of Canterlot. News spread quickly, and the townspeople were devastated, to say the least. Everyone from the Apple Family to the Mayor of Canterlot was there. When one of their own dies in a way like this, everyone in the community feels heartbreak. What added to the feeling of sadness was how overcast and how much rain was falling.

Everyone close to her got up to say something about Sunset. Whether it be how she was kind to people after her personal revelation, or how she was the most kind and loving person someone could meet. Once everything was over, and people started to go their separate ways after saying "how they were sorry for their loss" and things like that to Celestia and Luna, it left the two of them alone, staring down at the now filled and covered grave of their daughter and niece. On the headstone, it read "Here lies Sunset Shimmer. Smart, Outstanding, Wonderful, and Loving. You shall be missed forever."

In the rain, Celestia started to cry her heart out again, not wanting to let go of her daughter. Her sister held her close in the pouring rain, not letting her go until Celestia was fine enough to head back home.

It took several minutes for Celestia to stop crying on her sister's shoulder, but she was ready to head home. Just as they were about to leave, Celestia looked back at the grave and said silently "I'll miss you, Sunny. May we see each other again soon..." And she then walked back with her sister to the car. Had she looked a little longer, she might've seen the silhouette of her daughter, smiling with some tears falling down her cheeks, never to hit the ground.

Author's Note:

I guess this could be considered as my way of saying goodbye to Chester. I grew up listening to Linkin Park, and when I heard that he had passed away, it hurt me. The day after the news broke, I went to a store with my family that usually plays music, can't remember which store it was, but they were playing Linkin Park at the time, and it made me smile to see others care like that.
Then when I saw this, it made me cry even more. All of the support that LP has gotten over the past couple of months, it's really heart warming.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is... Rest In Peace Chester. Know that we'll all miss you. And hope that wherever you are, that it's a new beginning where you don't have to go through any more pain.
Who cares if one more light goes out? Well, we all do.
We Do

Comments ( 54 )

Nice Story! RIP Chester!

8483767
Thank you, and I'm glad to see that you miss him too.

I have no words to describe my emotions. Well written.

8483806
Thank you for the kind words.

8483812
You are most welcome!

Very well written story.

This was great! well written. well-said.. i feel sad... thanks 4 writing this

Extremely well written. You hit me right in the feels, and hard enough to let some out.

Okay, I have to say this. And please take it as constructive criticism. But this isn't a story. It's more like an outline of a story.

One of the most important aspects of writing is 'Show' versus 'Tell.' And there's no 'Show' here. There's no dialogue. No interactions. No descriptions. No showing of anything. It's all 'Tell.' "X is doing Y and feeling Z." Each character gets their own (single) paragraph 'telling' us just how bad they feel and what they're doing about it. It's like you're hitting each item on a bullet pointed list.

There's no real descriptions of how the student body reacts. No description of emotional responses. No descriptions of how her friends lean on each other in response to the tradgedy (or fall away from each other?) Hell, there are no real descriptions of the funeral, potentially the most emotional part of the story, aside from "People said nice things about her."

I understand that this is supposed to be "In Memory" of someone, thus giving it a 'deeper' meaning. But I neither know, nor care about the individual in question. And standing on its own, without that connection, this feels far more like an empty framework of a real story, waiting to be filled in and fleshed out.

Comment posted by MorpheustheDream deleted Oct 15th, 2017

Damn...that’s just beautiul. I should show this to my girlfriend she loves Linkin Park and was hit pretty hard when Chester died.

Comment posted by MasterBlaster deleted Oct 15th, 2017

This needs a sequel.

8489533
Who knows? That may happen one day. :raritywink:

Was done when her being a lesbian was mentioned, I have nothing wrong with it but I'm tired of lesbian pairings around here.

I feel like the CMC should had been more harshly punished here. They tricked most of Sunset’s loved ones into turning against her, and it ended up driving her to kill herself. And all for what? Some time with their sisters.

A life snuffed out due to really petty reasons.

I don't know laws to well but shouldn't the cmc be charged for being accessory to murder or something?? I feel they should be charged for something but I don't know what...

8537707
They would more than likely be charged with Assisted Suicide, if I what I remember is correct.
If I ever do make a sequel to this, I assure you that things will happen, and I'll try to make it better than this.

8503873
Rather difficult to avoid when 95% of the characters are female

8554234
Quite easy to do actually.

i should point out the crusaders would be doing jail time, this is at least first degree involuntary manslaughter.

8587885
While i dont know the law around manslaughter down to a tie i think would be more around 3rd degree murder they wanted to hurt sunset but not nearly that badly

8591515
thats actually why it qualifies as manslaughter and not murder, manslaughter as a charge covers thing where the actions of one party directly lead to another parties death, involuntary is where death wasn't the intention though hurting the person was. this actually has president in the legal system where people have cyber bullied someone to the point they take there own life.

8592001
Know i may be wrong but I remember when i reserched it it had involintary manslaughter be more like some one was not following safety rules like some kne speeding or drunk driving they had no intention to hurt some one but did so. Voluntary manslaughter or as the info i found called it third degree murder was when your intent was harm but not lethal harm

8592005
depends on which degree we're talking, but murder must in all cases have the intent to be lethal, this was not the case here.

I have to say was dispapointed in the CMC getting detention for a entir year. that seems.....soft.
they should been expeled, if they had to move to another town to go to school well too bad, they brought it on themsevles.

They could gotten suspenion for a week or more maybe a month long supsenion and part of their punishment they not allow to socalize with each other ever again.

8523762
Not to mention Cyber bulling is a crime

This story breaks my SOD because Sunset is stronger than that and wouldn't do it.

may want to add the suicide/self harm tab

this was posted on my b-day sweet

8603735
Stopping people from speaking to one another is surprisingly difficult. That would require cencorship of free speech, and that is unconstitutional.

9268425
Ok number 1, what the heck are you talking about.

number 2, I meant their families keep them from talking or spending time with each other, as they seemly a bad influence on each other.

9268640
Good luck keeping them seperate at break though. You can't have a policeman in every hallway.

Sunset Shimmer, had committed suicide.

How did she committed suicide?

9321677
ether she hanged her self like Chester did or she threw herself off the roof

So Flutters was Sunset's girlfriend and just turned her back on her cause of the flimsy evidence? I know these girls are dumber than the Equestria counterparts, cause you know teenagers, but that's a massive stretch for me. Sorry but won't be finishing.

8523762
Jailtime? Seems fitting, given what happened here.

Your description says "dedicated to Linkin Park"
But your title says "dedicated to Fall Out Boy "

i legit cried because of this :fluttercry:

8483804
Please tell me your considering an alternate ending or a sequel that shows that Sunset faked her death. Please.

Here’s what I don’t understand, Luna knew she was innocent, but didn’t tell sunset or anyone?

Comment posted by PrinceOfDarkness deleted Feb 10th, 2021
Comment posted by PrinceOfDarkness deleted Feb 10th, 2021

10602444

"Suspension of Disbelief". Here it is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief .

The story breaks my SOD because Sunset is stronger than that. She's not that type of wuss. Stories like this break my SOD because Sunset is a touch bitch. There's no way she would do this. Say "Fuck it.", and leave to somewhere? Yes. This? No. So it just breaks my SOD completely.

You might want to watch "Equestria Girls" again. Sunset has too much of an inner fire to give up like this. This quote describes Sunset's inner fire good.

"Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil. For I am the baddest motherfucker in the whole damn valley! Yeah!".

The Sunset in your story is more like "Things aren't going good. It's getting bad. I quit.". I think you can see why it broke my SOD. It broke my SOD because the character you wrote about is not Sunset Shimmer. You wrote about a clone of Sunset Shimmer who is a mewling little quitter. The real Sunset is nothing like that.

Comment posted by PrinceOfDarkness deleted Feb 10th, 2021
Comment posted by PrinceOfDarkness deleted Feb 10th, 2021

10602808

Things aren't going good. It's getting bad. I quit.

This is exactly how she wound up in that world. Everyone has a breaking point.

Login or register to comment